Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Say, does anyone have the old Ape Fight action resolution table? The one with "action fails, dwarves emerge"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Let's say you were having three friends over on Friday the 13th to play Wicked Ones, but then you thought about it and decided it was Friday the 13th so maybe you should run something else, like a fun horror one-shot maybe? Let's say you were thinking these things, what might you prep to propose to the group?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The ones I am currently itching to play or run (but haven't had a chance to) are Shiver and They Came From!

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/411996/SHIVER-RPG-Starter-BUNDLE

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/4261/Onyx-Path-Publishing/subcategory/8329_36480/They-Came-From-Beneath-the-Sea

But if I had to recommend something that I can guarantee plays well, I'd say either the Edge of Darkness adventure from Call of Cthulhu's Starter Set (should last you about 3-4 hours) or the Chariot of the Gods adventure from Alien RPG's Starter Set (can last a session or multiple, depending on how aggressively you GM it).

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Honestly Moby Dick the TRPG could have legs, there was a nice PC game i played called Nantucket which was about managing several crews of whalers...

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Megazver posted:

The ones I am currently itching to play or run (but haven't had a chance to) are Shiver and They Came From!

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/4261/Onyx-Path-Publishing/subcategory/8329_36480/They-Came-From-Beneath-the-Sea

And you can get even more specific for Friday the 13th with They Came From.. with They Came From Murder Lake. It's pretty fun.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Asterite34 posted:

Yeah but it runs into the problem with a lot of games based off prominent IPs with a big central character: what do all the other players do when only one guy gets to play the whale?

IMO in cases like this the other players would greatly benefit from getting to take portions of control the GM would normally have so as to let the one big central character continue to be central and big but other players get to help define them.

If I actually had any will to commit to finishing it, that's what my tabletop rpg adaptation of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure would be like. Only one person gets to be JoJo but the rest get to fill in everything else, be it narrating/cheerleading during encounters, breaking out specific bits of trivia that are only useful in defining where they are right now, getting to choose the general where they go and how they get there, everyone contributing to make the focus the journey itself and the bizarre events that happen along the way leading up to the end.

I have absolutely no idea if any of that could be applied to a hypothetical Moby Dick ttrpg tho.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

IMO in cases like this the other players would greatly benefit from getting to take portions of control the GM would normally have so as to let the one big central character continue to be central and big but other players get to help define them.

If I actually had any will to commit to finishing it, that's what my tabletop rpg adaptation of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure would be like. Only one person gets to be JoJo but the rest get to fill in everything else, be it narrating/cheerleading during encounters, breaking out specific bits of trivia that are only useful in defining where they are right now, getting to choose the general where they go and how they get there, everyone contributing to make the focus the journey itself and the bizarre events that happen along the way leading up to the end.

I have absolutely no idea if any of that could be applied to a hypothetical Moby Dick ttrpg tho.

So basically in this hypothetical, there would be a dedicated Speedwagon class.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Asterite34 posted:

So basically in this hypothetical, there would be a dedicated Speedwagon class.

Yes, except also the rest of the players would be able to act as proxy-Speedwagons for times when the Speedwagon couldn't be there or is otherwise indisposed, but none would be able to fill the Speedwagon's role as a consistent Speedwagon for almost every type of encounter.

Other important roles (that could be split up among the whole party as they wish) would be the plot progression character who has powers that, among other things, would allow the plot to continue further should the players reach a dead end or a brick wall in their journey, the healing character who exists to allow for a heal or pseudo-heal to occur during/between encounters and allow for encounters to get really deep into body horror without as high a risk of permanent disfigurement, the anchor character who largely works as a central unifying point person around who the party would form, and the mentor character who is already experienced in some level of bizarre activity and is there to act as a gateway players to learn more about what powers they've been gifted with.

The GM would be playing as the concept of Fate itself in addition to any non-player aggressors the party would need to fight. Their goal would be to create what is basically an escape room puzzle where the puzzle solution is almost always "punch the villain in the face" and the puzzle itself is "how do I get close enough to punch the villain in the face," while their role as Fate would be to come up with a rough outline of some major events and adapt what the players have done to fit into those events. In this way the GM would be encouraged to have some vague and rough idea of where the story should go and certain similarly vague milestones the party should hit but is still forced to interpret the party's actions to fit the GM's own prophecies.

Serf
May 5, 2011

CitizenKeen posted:

White Lotus... the soundtrack.

From a while back, but I watched both seasons of The White Lotus over the holidays, so it is still fresh in my mind how vivid and interesting the soundtrack is, and I can totally get why it is listed here. The music sounds extremely specific and weird, with both seasons taking inspiration from Hawaiian and Italian music respectively, specifically commercialized stuff they would pipe into these resorts. But there is an undercurrent of menace that runs through every piece. As each scene goes on, the music gets a little sinister and threatening, and it starts to become unnerving the longer this goes on. The show isn't in the horror genre, but the music more matches the vibe of how these things look pleasant and inviting on the surface, but become horrific and ugly as you get more familiar with them. Scenes that are silly or benign are often accompanied by this music, lending them a dissonant feeling that makes the show just a little uncomfortable to watch and is a nice contrast from the stereotypically beautiful locales. The composer, Cristobal Tapia de Veer, is responsible for several soundtracks that elevate their accompanying works in ways that I think make them more memorable than they would be with more traditional music.

This inspiration is very specific, but I totally applaud it.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

FirstAidKite posted:

So you’re saying Moby Dick is the Overlord in a game of Fellowship.
I can buy that, actually.

You can run MD in a lot of systems depending on how you slice it; we should have a Moby Dick Indie Game Jam to see exactly how wide that can go (75% of entries will be about kissing your sailor buddy on the lips but that’s honestly not at all untrue to Melville).

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Plutonis posted:

Honestly Moby Dick the TRPG could have legs*, there was a nice PC game i played called Nantucket which was about managing several crews of whalers...
*leg

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 11, 2023

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Tulip posted:

Take turns like in Polaris.

Wait, wait, that takes it into a totally different genre to the original, which had no mention of sailors unexpectedly turning into whales at all.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sensitive chuckle.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Or, flukes?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Cessna posted:

Or, flukes?

No, that kind of injury was pretty common, I think.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

There was a game jam in Nantucket

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
With a "5e compatible" bucket;
When the lawyers from hell
Brought the new OGL
They tossed in a match and said f**k it

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lol

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Big news on the AI front!

https://twitter.com/MetaAI/status/1613227964887617536?t=I_5jYQYSx3Pp4U1o-OLfGw&s=19

This is exactly what Skynet Meta needed to show that they aren't just converting our global security panopticon into one big killbox destined to wipe humanity from existence.

lol

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Nessus posted:

hyphz posted:

Brought the new OGL

Very good

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Father Wendigo posted:

https://twitter.com/MetaAI/status/1613227964887617536?t=I_5jYQYSx3Pp4U1o-OLfGw&s=19

This is exactly what Skynet Meta needed to show that they aren't just converting our global security panopticon into one big killbox destined to wipe humanity from existence.

lol

Listening to a segment about this in the news, and what's interesting about this is it never deceived anyone in getting to where it was. It basically did everyones' math for them and tried to make plays based on that.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I've never played Diplo, but from the stories I've heard, "human-level performance" is a very low bar to clear and/or requires you to make someone cry

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nessus posted:

hyphz posted:

Brought the new OGL
:golfclap:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Antivehicular posted:

I've never played Diplo, but from the stories I've heard, "human-level performance" is a very low bar to clear and/or requires you to make someone cry

I've also never played but I've been to a convention that is now a general board game con but was originally Diplomacy only. It's called StabCon

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I would simply move to eliminate the AI first

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

It's a game that doesn't use chance elements like cards and dice and instead just relies on what the player chooses to do by negotiating with others so there's a massive incentive for chicanery. Like I'm talking about betrayal having its own game term

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Diplomacy/Stabs

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 12, 2023

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Father Wendigo posted:

So how long til it starts feeding all the killing data?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Antivehicular posted:

It's a simple game with seven players.

You can't really beat another player alone, so you have to gang up on them. Then those alliances fall apart as the survivors gang up on each other, etc, and the game becomes "last man standing." In order to have any chance at all of winning you have to form alliances, then break them.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Cessna posted:

It's a simple game with seven players.

You can't really beat another player alone, so you have to gang up on them. Then those alliances fall apart as the survivors gang up on each other, etc, and the game becomes "last man standing." In order to have any chance at all of winning you have to form alliances, then break them.

Adding to the problem the outcomes are entirely deterministic and could be calculated with perfect information. You can never blame the dice for a play not working, only the other players. And there's never really a YOLO strategy, just slow deterministic grinding where if it goes wrong the only possibilities are you were outmaneuvered or you were betrayed. And there will be six losers.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The AI has determined that stories about AI triumphing at something gets it attention. It has learned this from its primary training set…

Twitter.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Yeah, diplomacy is fairly close to an entirely interpersonal game- there's a couple of tactical considerations but overall it's dependent on player politics- almost its purest expression. I think that's somewhat why having an AI that can play it is somewhat remarkable.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A computer winning at Diplomacy isn't much different from a computer winning at Chess, except that you need to feed the computer probably a hundred or so negotiation-scenarios with algorithms for approaching them. The "AI" element is, I'd guess, just using a large database of text-based human interaction to give the Diplomacy-bot the veneer of personality in its interactions, and has little to do with the strategy part of the game.

Playing Diplomacy can be very hard not only because of the social dynamics but also the problem-space of a given set of moves and potential countermoves by your opponents can become difficult to juggle. Played in-person you have a limited amount of time to submit your turn, and all turns are processed simultaneously. Guessing exactly how your opponents will move and setting up a set of moves of your own that are more likely to succeed than fail is hard. There's an element of risk-taking, where you can make a stabbing move that if it succeeds will crush an opponent, but if it fails, and it can fail easily if just one move winds up blocked, you'll have revealed an attempt to stab while also not having gained any ground, and now you're at war on a poor footing.

I do wonder if the bot is able to/allowed to form winning alliances. Diplomacy does permit a multiplayer victory, at least in some variations. You can declare an alliance and carry it all the way to the end of the game. The possibility of finishing a game without stabbing an ally is IMO important to the game because it otherwise is transparent that any negotiated NAP, alliance, or peace is eventually going to be destroyed.

It's also good play IMO to set limits and terms to your agreements; that makes it possible to play without ever lying. You can say "let's not fight for the next three turns at least" and then attack on turn 4 and you haven't stabbed, but also didn't preclude a shot at victory by trying to "play nice." I wonder if the AI bot is able to do that. I'd expect so, since in my own experience with Diplomacy it's an important aspect of experienced play.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've always wanted to play Diplomacy

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Not with friends, you don't.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
If the robot can actually parse natural language from human players and change its strategy accordingly, that's much more impressive than just winning the game. Given sufficient processing power a machine can calculate how to get from one position to another position deterministically. It's a lot harder to make a machine that understands what other people are saying and changes its behavior accordingly. Or it may be that the optimal strategy is to ignore anything anyone else says and just respond to observed behavior, because everything they say is trying to trick you.

The treachery.online guy has bots that can beat a moderately skilled player at Dune, but they can't enter into agreements or transactions with human players outside a few preprogrammed scenarios (formal alliance as defined by game rules during nexus phase, selling card prescience during bidding).

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

mellonbread posted:

If the robot can actually parse natural language from human players and change its strategy accordingly, that's much more impressive than just winning the game. Given sufficient processing power a machine can calculate how to get from one position to another position deterministically. It's a lot harder to make a machine that understands what other people are saying and changes its behavior accordingly. Or it may be that the optimal strategy is to ignore anything anyone else says and just respond to observed behavior, because everything they say is trying to trick you.

The treachery.online guy has bots that can beat a moderately skilled player at Dune, but they can't enter into agreements or transactions with human players outside a few preprogrammed scenarios (formal alliance as defined by game rules during nexus phase, selling card prescience during bidding).
A bot to play Dune? Jihad!

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I guess the question about an AI in diplomacy having "human like play" is, is this a test of it convincing other human players that its a human in free conversation? Or is this being tested in a sort of hearthstone esque situation where there's a very finite number of communication commands you can give people. Because being "human like" under natural language conditions would really impress me and I'd be amused if this was how I learned about it.

grassy gnoll posted:

Not with friends, you don't.

Advanced breakup strategies.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've always wanted to play Diplomacy

You can go to playdiplomacy.com (I think that's the website) and get into a learner game to start out. As much as I love the memories of all-night stabathons of my youth, online is really the way to play.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
the ideal traitor game group is gaming buddies who know what kind of personality you are and will play repeat games long enough to build up a history, but aren't necessarily real-life friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the ideal traitor game group is gaming buddies who know what kind of personality you are and will play repeat games long enough to build up a history, but aren't necessarily real-life friends

...but I won't play games with those people :confused: