Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Blade Runner posted:

"what about your work life balance" not working very well on loser who has no life, who could've imagined

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
megaman821 1 hour ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: The skilled trades haven't caught as a career choice with Gen Z

Where is all the money people paying tradespeople going? If I need any plumbing work done it costs me $200 an hour or more. Even with overhead and expenses, 10 hours a week gets you more than $50k a year. Twenty years ago my grandfather was a marine plumber and made $200k a year. How many apprentices and part-time plumber are in these datasets?

:marxthink:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/alexesber/status/1611489997961723905

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

quote:

2devnull 6 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

A dude doing deadlifts is cool. A woman it’s pretty much always sexual. That’s why they get so many viewers. It’s pervos on YouTube or TikTok wanting to see their spandex clad fannies doing squats. There’s no other reason for lululemon than flagrant sexual exhibitionism. It’s easier to work out with loose fitting clothes.

quote:

There’s no other reason for lululemon than flagrant sexual exhibitionism.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

guy who gets pissed off that women make him horny

mystes
May 31, 2006

I would absolutely refuse to believe that wasn't just trolling if it was just the first two sentences, and yet based on the rest I'm sure it's real

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

post hole digger posted:

guy who gets pissed off that women make him horny

actually probably a pretty common type of guy. much to consider........

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

It's obvious that this person has never touched a weight by merit of posting on HN but lmao at "it's easier to work out in loose clothes"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It reads more as "guy who went to the gym once or twice before being literally banned for life for being too creepy".

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Blade Runner posted:

It's obvious that this person has never touched a weight by merit of posting on HN but lmao at "it's easier to work out in loose clothes"

Olympic weightlifters are known for their baggy clothing.

olorum
Apr 24, 2021

Ask HN: Son is major in CS, but doesn't code. Red flag?
25 points by mapster 7 hours ago | hide | past | favorite | 81 comments

His interests are more in socializing and hobbies than tinkering in python, C++, or javascript. He had a few classes in js and C++ and did very well, but its not something he continues to do on his own.

I am not a developer or cs engineer, but my thought is for him to change majors if tinkering doesn't come naturally.

deltree7 6 hours ago | parent | prev | next [–]

Both Indian and Chinese kids continue to excel in every industry, despite heavy involvement from parents. (and happy)

OTOH, I've seen many White students raised by liberal parents with too much student debt (and depressed).

So, unless there is data to prove that "letting 18 years old to make their own life changing decisions" on their own, we need to stop this overly progressive method.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

notch656c 43 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

I always hire a lawyer for traffic court. Show up with a lawyer and wear a suit. Don't want them to think I'm one of the poors to stomp down. If you go to low-level court in middle America you'll understand what I mean -- 99% of the people there are drugged out and wearing rags generally look like their poo poo is not together at all and these are the people the lazy/burnt-out prosecutor is geared towards crushing effortlessly.
They basically always offer some bullshit non-moving violation to make me go away. Saves me thousands on insurance premiums and has also saved me from a criminal record for my more serious tickets (like allegedly driving gasp 36 mph by a school, which apparently comes with jail time in Ohio).
Bring on the hate. Y'all know I speak truth.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Mr.Radar posted:

kkielhofner 2 hours ago | parent | context | favorite | on: Coinbase cuts staff by a further 20%

I spent most of the last two years working on an NFT anti-fraud solution[0].

My two prior startups were (essentially) in telecom and healthcare. Coming from these well established, highly regulated, somewhat legacy industries to "crypto"/NFTs/web3 was a very interesting experience, to say the least. Users/potential customers for our solution ranged from creators to marketplaces to collectors/investors. Several very general and broad observations:

1) The anonymous/pseudo anonymous nature of the space is bizarre. I would have multiple voice-only meetings with people using aliases and avatars for all communications. To this day I only know some people as "Mango Man" or whatever. Meeting people who could just burn down an entire identity and start fresh when things go sideways is an indicator of the nature of the space.

2) There is a general lack of "adults in the room". I would get on a call with the Founder/CEO of a marketplace or project that was valued (at least) in the > $100m range and hear and see things that were horrifying. My final breaking point was a call with the founder of a well known highly valued NFT marketplace who showed up (Tuesday morning, 10 AM) obviously high on some sort of stimulant. Within the first five minutes of the call they repeated their mantra of "I'm just trying to get made, paid, and laid" several times. They spent the remainder of the (very brief) call describing all kinds of things I'm pretty sure are illegal. On an introductory call.

3) The fraud and overall criminality is well beyond what is publicly known from FTX, Celsius, web3 is going great, etc. The most common reply regarding our solution was along the lines of "Why would we want this? We make our money on fraud". I was frequently reminded me of the scene in The Big Short when they talk to mortgage brokers and come away saying "Why are they confessing?" with the response being "They're not confessing, they're bragging".

4) Any semblance of professionalism and basic standards is generally non-existent. A HEAD OF LEGAL for a well known exchange (Superbowl commercial) would say and post things on LinkedIn that would get you terminated immediately in any other field. Daily.

5) The more technical startups/partners (infrastructure providers, etc) were generally the best to work with. However, the profiles of the founders and team were interesting - many of them had 1-2 years of junior experience at a FAANG (for better or worse).

6) VC in the space is even more wild than what has been reported in the media. I'll just leave this one at that.

7) Many people in the space seemed to just appear from nowhere. Like some of the technical founders with 1-2 years of junior experience and SBF who had a few years doing something at Jane Street I often times couldn't figure out where these people came from or why/how they were here. Of course this is common in tech (from Google to Facebook founders often "appear out of nowhere") but it was still extremely bizarre for SBF type characters to be dealing with hundreds of millions or billions of dollars of other people's money with either no reputation/background or a shady one.

8) In my 25 years of experience I've never dealt with a more generally unimpressive group of people. After nearly two years in the space, meeting hundreds of people, there are only a handful I want to maintain any sort of personal or professional relationship with.

With my background I knew I would experience some culture shock (for lack of a better term) entering a space that was still (after 14 years) the Wild West. What I experienced was (almost universally) so beyond the pale I finally ran away screaming. I spent more and more of my time and energy attempting to motivate myself and the team by focusing on our efforts to do good in the space but after all of this no amount of rationalizing could make up for the cesspool I was living in every day. Like the famous saying goes - "If you think you might be depressed, first make sure you're not just surrounded by assholes".

Basically, what I'm saying is, when I see the unbelievable-to-most FTX (and other) stories unfolding in the media all I can think is "Yep, sounds about right". When I see stories like this and people asking "What are all of these people doing?" I can firmly respond with either "I have no idea" or "Trying to manage this crazy world takes a lot of people". Thankfully I'm not in the space any longer but as shoes keep dropping left and right I don't think I could be surprised by anything anymore.

[0] - https://fnftf.io/

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
from that same hn thread:

def_true_false 3 hours ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

HN userbase is older and more American than tech in general. It follows that they are more invested in the legacy financial system than most and don't even encounter the problems crypto tries to solve. Also sour grapes.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

HN is threatening me with a good time

polygamous_bat 29 minutes ago | next [–]

I think people are underestimating the problems that a blanket Tether ban from North American markets would cause. You think a Tether ban would cause people to switch to USDC? Ok, but that means some Tether needs to vanish and some USDC needs to be created. How does that happen? Ideally, it goes from Tether -> USD -> USDC... and there lies the problem. We don't know if there is enough USD in Tether's coffer to redeem all the withdrawals. And if there is not, or even if there is a doubt about it, then it becomes a game where the last person to withdraw loses. How would that look for crypto in general? How would people react to USDC if they or someone they know just got burned by another stablecoin last week?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

hell yeah :unsmigghh:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

fritz posted:

I always hire a lawyer for traffic court. Show up with a lawyer and wear a suit. Don't want them to think I'm one of the poors to stomp down. If you go to low-level court in middle America you'll understand what I mean -- 99% of the people there are drugged out and wearing rags generally look like their poo poo is not together at all and these are the people the lazy/burnt-out prosecutor is geared towards crushing effortlessly.
They basically always offer some bullshit non-moving violation to make me go away. Saves me thousands on insurance premiums and has also saved me from a criminal record for my more serious tickets (like allegedly driving gasp 36 mph by a school, which apparently comes with jail time in Ohio).

most of the people quoted itt really suck but this guy does in a particularly annoying way

mystes
May 31, 2006

distortion park posted:

most of the people quoted itt really suck but this guy does in a particularly annoying way
It's a great combination of hating poor people, not facing consequences as a result of being rich, and child endangerment

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

distortion park posted:

I think it's annoying because the core thrust of his point is essentially correct, the legal system is built such that if you show up with an actual lawyer to a minor traffic thing they'll just tell you to gently caress off rather than pursue it because it's not worth the effort

That he thinks this is good is why he's a piece of poo poo

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

fritz posted:

i got a speeding ticket in the next state over when i was like 19 and my dad insisted on going with me to court and that we both wear suits. we got there and the judge was like, i guess you're the lawyers? and i was like, no i'm the kid who was speeding. and he was like, well talk to the DA and we'll make it a non-moving violation (which is what he did with every speeding ticket that was being contested that day)

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Plank Walker posted:

i got a speeding ticket in the next state over when i was like 19 and my dad insisted on going with me to court and that we both wear suits. we got there and the judge was like, i guess you're the lawyers? and i was like, no i'm the kid who was speeding. and he was like, well talk to the DA and we'll make it a non-moving violation (which is what he did with every speeding ticket that was being contested that day)

many years ago i got a ticket a few counties over and was going to pay it but procrastinated. finally went to the court house on the court date intending to just pay it, and the clerk called me an idiot and told me to just go upstairs to court. without me so much as saying a word, the prosecutor says "I don't think you were doing 15 over, I think you were doing 5 over. I'll have it dismissed it if you go to traffic school". never even saw a judge

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

distortion park posted:

most of the people quoted itt really suck

mystes
May 31, 2006

Not sure you meant it that way but lol

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
hoist by my own petard

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

fritz posted:

why is he driving all the way to ohio from Maine

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

quote:

Ask HN: Strategies for working with engineers that are too smart?

absolutely not clicking on that one

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

disappointed that i Ctrl+f'd 10x and only got 2 hits in that thread

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

distortion park posted:

you have to suck an incredible amount for even other hn posters to think you suck, but this guy achieves it

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Finally a good HN post

quote:

quote:

AmericanChopper 3 hours ago | parent | next [–]

Breaking down is also completely indistinguishable from what the Tesla did in this case. The breaks weren’t slammed on either, 7 seconds elapsed between the Tesla indicating for the turn and the collision. It’s very obvious that every participant in the pile up was at least partially at fault. The only confounding factor in this case seems to be that many HN commenters lose a handful of IQ points when any topic relating to Elon Musk comes up.

ryanwaggoner 1 hour ago | root | parent | next [–]

I applaud your self awareness

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

alexandriao posted:

astrange 59 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

np this is based on a Twitter joke: https://twitter.com/alexblechman/status/1457842724128833538
But I don’t think this joke works because afaik it’s a reference to: https://hitchhikers.fandom.com/wiki/Total_Perspective_Vortex

And in the book it didn’t work because Zaphod was (rightfully) so egotistical he was immune to it! So it seems the sci-fi author’s moral here is that it’s fine actually.

"I never read hitchhiker's but I'm willing to say dumb poo poo about it".

(Zaphod was immune because they were in a VR world overlay that was specifically designed for him to be there, thus making it true that he was the most important person in the virtual world.)

This is beyond his dumbass take on the torment nexus being the TPV.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

the torment nexus is clearly a reference to the Punishment Sphere base facility from SMAC

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Pile Of Garbage posted:

the torment nexus is clearly a reference to the Punishment Sphere base facility from SMAC

which is still one of the most hosed-up pieces of writing in the game, it's great.

https://paeantosmac.wordpress.com/2015/09/23/base-facility-punishment-sphere/

SMAC posted:

“It is not uncommon to see patients undergo permanent psychological trauma in the presence of the Sphere, before the nerve stapler has even been strapped into position. Its effect on the general consciousness of the culture is profound: husbands have seen wives go inside, and mothers their children. Dr. Xynan left the surface of the sphere semitranslucent for a reason. You can hear them in there; you can see them. It is a thing of terrible beauty.”

hn guy posted:

coooooooool

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

adam_arthur 11 minutes ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

Oil and coal have lifted more out of poverty than possibly any other invention/discovery in the modern era.
The key is not to villainize fossil fuels, but to recognize their benefits and costs and decide collectively via policy what tradeoffs we’re willing to make.

Think about how privileged you are in life that you can even consider not depending on fossil fuels. Hysterical takes like yours come across completely naive and uninformed.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

alexandriao posted:

adam_arthur 11 minutes ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

Oil and coal have lifted more out of poverty than possibly any other invention/discovery in the modern era.
The key is not to villainize fossil fuels, but to recognize their benefits and costs and decide collectively via policy what tradeoffs we’re willing to make.

Think about how privileged you are in life that you can even consider not depending on fossil fuels. Hysterical takes like yours come across completely naive and uninformed.

:thunk:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
re: that traffic court post, if you do show up with a lawyer you do get to go first and then the judge and your lawyer crack jokes at each other and confirm their tee time next week then give you a ran-a-stop-sign ticket

traffic court is loving horrible if you've never experienced it. the bailiff literally threatened me when i said i wanted a court date

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Jose Valasquez posted:

Finally a good HN post

lol

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

someone oughta nerve staple the hn posters

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
The one time I had to go to court as a defendant or whatever the judge complemented me on wearing a jacket which was kinda awkward because a navy shipmate showed up in his khaki uniform and we had a drink over it later but the judge was like, mr dougdrums, please tell me how a fwc (dnr) officer wrote you this. The actual story was kinda funny and I had the privilege of being in the navy so the judge dismissed it.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
the point of that anecdote is that it seemed incredibly subjective

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

why is someone else showing up in uniform awkward? because they saw you out of uniform?

Also I don't really understand the "please tell me how a fwc (dnr) officer wrote you this" part either