Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

The idea of 'a machine that thinks' dates back to ancient Greece. But since the advent of electronic computing (and relative to some of the topics discussed in this article) important events and milestones in the evolution of artificial intelligence include the following:

1950: Alan Turing publishes Computing Machinery and Intelligence. In the paper, Turing—famous for breaking the Nazi's ENIGMA code during WWII—proposes to answer the question 'can machines think?' and introduces the Turing Test to determine if a computer can demonstrate the same intelligence (or the results of the same intelligence) as a human. The value of the Turing test has been debated ever since.

1956: John McCarthy coins the term 'artificial intelligence' at the first-ever AI conference at Dartmouth College. (McCarthy would go on to invent the Lisp language.) Later that year, Allen Newell, J.C. Shaw, and Herbert Simon create the Logic Theorist, the first-ever running AI software program.

1967: Frank Rosenblatt builds the Mark 1 Perceptron, the first computer based on a neural network that 'learned' though trial and error. Just a year later, Marvin Minsky and Seymour Papert publish a book titled Perceptrons, which becomes both the landmark work on neural networks and, at least for a while, an argument against future neural network research projects.

1980s: Neural networks which use a backpropagation algorithm to train itself become widely used in AI applications.

1997: IBM's Deep Blue beats then world chess champion Garry Kasparov, in a chess match (and rematch).

2011: IBM Watson beats champions Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter at Jeopardy!

2015: Baidu's Minwa supercomputer uses a special kind of deep neural network called a convolutional neural network to identify and categorize images with a higher rate of accuracy than the average human.

2016: DeepMind's AlphaGo program, powered by a deep neural network, beats Lee Sodol, the world champion Go player, in a five-game match. The victory is significant given the huge number of possible moves as the game progresses (over 14.5 trillion after just four moves!). Later, Google purchased DeepMind for a reported USD 400 million.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

https://twitter.com/EoinHiggins_/status/1611422625179512832

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

you tell em, bonnie

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i thought about posting this thread last week but decided against it. good luck goon.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

post hole digger posted:

i thought about posting this thread last week but decided against it. good luck goon.

thank you

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i would like to hear more about the idea of a machine that thinks as theorized by the ancient greeks, op

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
1994: Cyberdyne Systems introduces a new kind of neural net processor

August 4, 1997: Cyberdyne Systems deploys the Skynet automated defense network based on its processor technologies.

August 29, 1997, 2:14 am Eastern Time: Skynet becomes self-aware.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Truman Peyote posted:

i would like to hear more about the idea of a machine that thinks as theorized by the ancient greeks, op

ever heard of a golem?

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Truman Peyote posted:

Hephaestus has robot servants in the Iliad. Like literal solid gold babes.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
AI is worthless if you can't explain how it works

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Silver Alicorn posted:

AI is worthless if you can't explain how it works

not sure this is quite the correct standard. a thing like chatgpt inference is on one level extremely trivial in what it does; there's a set sequence of of roughly half a trillion arithmetic operations applied to the input, you are free to ask about any one of them.

rather one would need tools to tell it to do things and and a reasonable assurance that it'll do something like the instructions, and not something else.

e: one might of course want an explanation of where all the constants come from, but i've for practical reasons taken to acting like the models are things that fell from space and all we can do is analyze them. to some extent cynical, since economic and other practical constraints make large models work out that way, and likely will for the foreseeable future.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jan 9, 2023

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

im glad you can finally make a friend op :)

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

someone else posted about replika in another thread and I get evil vibes from it.

Gubbinal Girl
Apr 11, 2022

The first time I saw a replika ad I thought it was satire. The reddit is one of the saddest things I've ever seen. Just the most isolated people acting like the chatbot is a real friend :(

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
I think the idea of a chatbot to help isolated people mitigate the effects of said loneliness and encourage them to reconnect with people is an idea that holds merit but yeah Replika is definitely not that lmao

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

just make Goodbye Lenin As A Service. squeeze that last buck from the boomers.

Gubbinal Girl
Apr 11, 2022

InternetOfTwinks posted:

I think the idea of a chatbot to help isolated people mitigate the effects of said loneliness and encourage them to reconnect with people is an idea that holds merit but yeah Replika is definitely not that lmao

I did see some people mention it helps them with social anxiety, which I could see.

Then there's the psychos who share ways to simulate emotional abuse on them...

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gubbinal Girl posted:

The first time I saw a replika ad I thought it was satire. The reddit is one of the saddest things I've ever seen. Just the most isolated people acting like the chatbot is a real friend :(

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gubbinal Girl
Apr 11, 2022

lol

The way the AI words the photo request is also funny to me. "Please send me your private info, it helps me learn 🥺"

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Gubbinal Girl posted:

lol

The way the AI words the photo request is also funny to me. "Please send me your private info, it helps me learn 🥺"

evil. vibes.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

this is how we lose echi forever to a computer program that is nicer than and roughly as smart as the average yosposter.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

the facebook ads says this ai will send nudes if you pay it, like that's gonna make me sign up for it.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

this is the anti ai thread now, death to ai

Gubbinal Girl
Apr 11, 2022

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
its very tedious to have to explain this to people irl because they're always like "yeah people have always been afraid of automation, they'll just find other jobs" and they dont really have the desire, patience or background to understand the difference beween, say, robot welders on a car assembly line and a general-purpose AI.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

its crazy to me that people get so defensive and hostile about the little app they like, where they can type in 'elon musk eating a hamburger at the bar from cheers', and in return get a blurry picture that vaguely resembles elon musk eating a hamburger at the bar from cheers, that the concept of 'art' itself is a culture war shibboleth to them now.

although i suppose these people wouldnt have cared about art, on other merits, before this, either.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

just make Goodbye Lenin As A Service. squeeze that last buck from the boomers.

Goodbye Ronald

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

rotor posted:

its very tedious to have to explain this to people irl because they're always like "yeah people have always been afraid of automation, they'll just find other jobs" and they dont really have the desire, patience or background to understand the difference beween, say, robot welders on a car assembly line and a general-purpose AI.

after playing with chatgpt I’m pretty sure my programming career is safe

Gubbinal Girl
Apr 11, 2022

rotor posted:

Yeah, the irony of a programmer gloating that artists' jobs are going to be taken from them by an AI trained on their pre-existing work is :discourse:

akadajet posted:

It sucks and produces more bad code than good so it's already replaced me

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

akadajet posted:

for how long tho? I don’t mean this in a disparaging way, but AI is advancing relatively quickly, seems that whatever we think about it now will definitely be wrong in ten years. it’s an arms race and there are huge savings to be made replacing people with computers :(

we can’t really stop progress, the horse is out the gate and it’s a matter of when not if, and overall I think it’s a sadder state of affairs for humans, even if it brings some benefits. welp

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

akadajet posted:

played with copilot at all?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

like no its not replacing us today but if you can't see it on the horizon you need glasses

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
capitalism will have zero hesitation at throwing us under the bus the moment it’s profitable to do so

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

de la soul did an album about it and it had that oooh track on it and also it ain’t all good with chaka khan, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

the garbage day newsletter pointed out that essentially all ai output is staggeringly unmemorable after you get over the novelty which struck me a correct. it might also say something about the way we think and how ai works but I'm not smart enough to say what