Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Bloody posted:

actually, i'm never buying photo books

I do like books with lots of pictures in them though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Megabound posted:

Most posed shots of models are boring and say nothing apart from "Hey, look at this model". I much prefer engaging with the observations and criticisms of artsy landscapes.

I largely agree, but at least had to go thru that stage myself before I started to want to go next stage with my shoots

something I’ve noticed tho, is after following some good photographers for a while, let’s say I find a photo I really like, is quite common the rest of the set they’ve shared are rather ordinary, and so I do try to keep that perspective in mind.

when it comes to criticism however, I have pretty thin skin, and don’t really want to un-enjoy a photo I’ve previously enjoyed, and regardless, I’m much more interested in the opinions of the people I take the photos of, if they’re happy with the output and I am too, then I am content with the work I’ve done. yes, I am pathetic :smugmrgw:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I don't have a ton of photo books but I do have a bunch of architecture books and now I'm trying to peep why the photos are so good [a lot of them use tilt shift to get rid of perspective]

e: expensive art books are one of the best things to spend money on, imo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
we have an absolute ton of art books and yeah they're generally pretty good

i'd have to agree that portraits are probably the most boring thing in there though. they're just not that visually interesting i think

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I don't think portraiture and art are mutually exclusive, it's the difficulty of having an internal connection to the subject, and creating the external connection with the viewer. It's the role of the photograper to illuminate the connection, to take their internal and make it external. You need to build the image or the relationship in order to make it meaningful.

Whether or not you get your internality across or it is received differently is moot. I'm a subscriber to the belief that once your photo is in the hands of the viewer your intent doesn't mean poo poo and the viewer is correct in pulling whatever it is they feel from it, bringing their own experiences and life. It is the building of connections, intentional or not, that is important.

I have plenty of photos of my wife that I slot into the art category, and plenty I view as personal snapshots.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 10, 2023

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

dorkroom has its moments but there’s definitely a bit of echo chamber bullshit or whatever you want to call it with some of the regulars. criticism is fine and expected when posting in an art forum, but ive seen on several occasions when it seems like a new poster gets dog piled by the new topographics crowd and it doesnt always feel constructive, especially when the regulars dont treat each other with the same degree of vigilance. i dunno the word for it but you can tell when someone feels like they’re superior, so they intentionally only hang out with those they view as lower just for the ego boost. it comes off as insecure and i get that vibe there sometimes

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah you get that with amateurs in all hobbies. i mean im sure you get it with professionals too, but i've never seen real working artists/chefs/photographers be lovely about this, where i've definitely seen hobbyist people do the dog pile thing. of course it might just be that the pros im thinking of are irl friends, and if they were assholes i wouldn't be friends with them. after all, the hobbyists im friends with irl are also chill and cool and good. so maybe it is the internet that sucks.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

otoh photography subreddits have the opposite problem where you are absolutely not allowed to say anything is bad lol

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

In my tenure I have tried to create some more safe, conversational spaces in the Dorkroom to fight that view of it as a hostile space for new posters, which I really do not think it is. The chat and low effort threads are chill zones for posting photos and are designed for new posters to dip their toes into.

Putting yourself out into a critical space is scary and it can be hard to remove yourself from your work and be objective about it yourself. No one's words or works are sacrosanct and I do not believe there is a monoculture. It is however a rare space where you can get honest feedback from some very talented photographers while viewing their own bodies of work and allowing you to decide whether or not you value their viewpoint.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

qirex posted:

I don't have a ton of photo books but I do have a bunch of architecture books and now I'm trying to peep why the photos are so good [a lot of them use tilt shift to get rid of perspective]

e: expensive art books are one of the best things to spend money on, imo

lol 'how to fill your house with large heavy objects' speed run strats. I didn't even dare look at the last PHAIDON sale.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Megabound posted:

In my tenure I have tried to create some more safe, conversational spaces in the Dorkroom to fight that view of it as a hostile space for new posters, which I really do not think it is. The chat and low effort threads are chill zones for posting photos and are designed for new posters to dip their toes into.

Putting yourself out into a critical space is scary and it can be hard to remove yourself from your work and be objective about it yourself. No one's words or works are sacrosanct and I do not believe there is a monoculture. It is however a rare space where you can get honest feedback from some very talented photographers while viewing their own bodies of work and allowing you to decide whether or not you value their viewpoint.

you make it sound alright

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

yeah like i said it has its moments for sure. i spent a lot of time shitposting about gear and film processing when that was one of my fixations

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
photo books are really good and cool.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
in lieu of real art or whatever I just get photos (some mine but mostly others) printed at a big box store for like 69c or something and use blue tack and attached to my walls. it impresses no one

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

put them in a cheap amazon frame and people will be more impressed even if the photos themselves are the same!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

walgreens photos look decent except for black and white, they come out with a green cast

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

put them in a cheap amazon frame and people will be more impressed even if the photos themselves are the same!

hmm the frames would make the exercise like ten x as expensive. thankfully no one ever comes to my place so it doesn’t matter

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

echinopsis posted:

hmm the frames would make the exercise like ten x as expensive.

covid kind of broke the habit but i used to obsessively go to thrift stores to try and find vintage electronics and camera stuff, and i'd always grab a few picture frames for like 50-99c each. if you really want to be fancy you can spray paint them for cohesion

echinopsis posted:

thankfully no one ever comes to my place so it doesn’t matter

yeah this. i ended up just keeping most of them in a pile, unused. true hoarder style

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I sent you my camera plz respond

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

was able to capture this with that 24 beeftweeter recommended. a+

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Megabound posted:

I sent you my camera plz respond

glad you closed the viewfinder

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

KidDynamite posted:

was able to capture this with that 24 beeftweeter recommended. a+

good crop

good cat

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

imagine the knob feel on that thing

e: not the cat

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
extremely excellent poo poo my friend

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I’ve got a decent handful of people who have expressed interest in getting some photos - seem to have crossed some threshold in the local scene where people really like my work.

now I just need to have some good ideas and drum up some motivation. if I shoot with most of them, I reckon afterward I will have a decent portfolio and I tell myself I might advertise and try and make a couple bucks. it’s a big leap tho, feeling like you’re good enough.. but I suppose that’s why you put your work up and if people like it and sign up for it then .. anyway imagine that

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

echinopsis posted:

extremely excellent poo poo my friend

thank

echinopsis posted:

I’ve got a decent handful of people who have expressed interest in getting some photos - seem to have crossed some threshold in the local scene where people really like my work.

now I just need to have some good ideas and drum up some motivation. if I shoot with most of them, I reckon afterward I will have a decent portfolio and I tell myself I might advertise and try and make a couple bucks. it’s a big leap tho, feeling like you’re good enough.. but I suppose that’s why you put your work up and if people like it and sign up for it then .. anyway imagine that

you can and should do it echi

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

xpost from cat thread because it's just a good pic

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jan 22, 2023

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i kind of want to swap my xf 27 f/2.8 for a xf 23 f/2

need to see if it'll fit in my lil backpacking not a fanny pack. is a better lens worth the extra 100g? idk

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I had both for a while, the 23 is objectively the better lens both in image quality and autofocus, but the 27 was way more pocketable and I ended up selling the 23 and keeping the 27.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I share a lot of other peoples work on my instagram story and drat.. I’ve got some good taste

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

polyester concept posted:

I had both for a while, the 23 is objectively the better lens both in image quality and autofocus, but the 27 was way more pocketable and I ended up selling the 23 and keeping the 27.

i do really want this camera to stay small. thanks for your support

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i was thinking about getting the Z 40/2 as a little baby walkaround lens but i learned that it's all made of plastic. even the lens mount. why is it all plastic

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

because executives need bonuses

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

someone buy my xf 18-55 2.8-4 tia

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

for longer focal lengths i use a rokinon 85mm 1.4 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HAF120K ($249). it's fantastic for portraits also

picked this one up it's really solid but not sure if i will be keeping it or bringing it to japan. it's making the lowepro sling I have a little cramped and the wife is not a fan of that focal length for portraits lol.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

KidDynamite posted:

picked this one up it's really solid but not sure if i will be keeping it or bringing it to japan. it's making the lowepro sling I have a little cramped and the wife is not a fan of that focal length for portraits lol.

yeah poo poo sorry i should've kept in mind you were asking about lenses for travel lol, that's a big one and about as heavy as the body is

the meike lenses are smaller (but still pretty heavy for the price)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

panasonic also makes a pancake 20mm portrait that my wife has, it's not quite as fast as the 25mm (i don't remember offhand but i think it's f/1.9) but it's a good lens too