Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Previously on Opplopolis: all the Google results were posts in PYF.

I think Pangolin's "oh. bourgeois trap." in the second page here is my favorite one-liner in the comic. I just have such a soft spot for old leftist cranks.

I'm gonna end up holding a "PANGOLIN WAS RIGHT ABOUT EVERYTHING" placard on a busy street corner at this rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

My soft spot for old left-wing hypocrites grows weaker with every page of Opplopolis posted.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oppopolis is quickly becoming my current PYF Comic Thread favorite

The Killer Dynamo
May 31, 2011

Gonna have a good time tonight

Emzedoh posted:

Oh, I know about that. I just meant why cow specifically.

iirc Arakawa grew up on a dairy farm in Hokkaido!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Last time on Joey's Special Experience by Hirohiko Archie: The zombies attack, but Lord Trumpet and his last surviving disciple start easily kicking their asses! God and Joost prepare to face off!

Read right to left:

I love the way God annoyedly bats away the roses here

Oh poo poo! Is this the end for God??

e: lol I just noticed the "Copy Link" in the corner. I'm leaving it

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 17:39 on Jan 11, 2023

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lol

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

HE IS A GOOD BOY.

Youremother has a new favorite as of 21:24 on Jan 11, 2023

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Cringe does not appear to be a good boy.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Josef bugman posted:

Maybe he will grow with time and experience, and become a good boy?

spoiler: he might, hard to tell

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Josef bugman posted:

Honestly that's how I feel every time I have to interact with the Great Deku Tree, so I kinda get him

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

The Killer Dynamo posted:

iirc Arakawa grew up on a dairy farm in Hokkaido!

If anyone digs this little run you should read the comic she made right after Fullmetal Alchemist: Silver Spoon. A city kid moves to go to a agricultural focused school in the country.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Dicebox

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

I've been staring at the page and trying to spot where a ciphered 'Marvedyne' would be and I'm coming up blank.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Time for the first arc in Swanboy:

:ohdear: Things aren’t looking good for Baptiste the worm who married his own rear end.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

fritz posted:

I've been staring at the page and trying to spot where a ciphered 'Marvedyne' would be and I'm coming up blank.

She says "the second word of the letterhead", which I assume refers to the words curved over the top of the symbol at the top of the page--there's a distinct gap in the middle and the second group is 9 characters with a repeated symbol that lines up with the Es in Marvedyne.

I think she's just taking a blind stab and is almost certainly incorrect, though, since that would assign symbols to A and E that are impossibly rare in the rest of the message.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Pyf comics: Ah, yeah you gotta not marry your own rear end.

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

Their Story a bit earlier today, got a thing tonight

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

the holy poopacy posted:

She says "the second word of the letterhead", which I assume refers to the words curved over the top of the symbol at the top of the page--there's a distinct gap in the middle and the second group is 9 characters with a repeated symbol that lines up with the Es in Marvedyne.

I think she's just taking a blind stab and is almost certainly incorrect, though, since that would assign symbols to A and E that are impossibly rare in the rest of the message.

I'm trying to crack this because codebreaking is something I genuinely love to do and I can say to start with there's more than 26 symbols total. The letterhead has symbols that don't appear anywhere in the body of the text. Here's my transcription of the first three lines into Latin letters, though, in case better codebreakers want to crack it:

quote:

ABCDEFGHIJK LCKGLMKBNO JPMOQRMSTANTAENQNNASFTACNSNKV LGOWLSWWGXAPLYZGOLMII, UNNK

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the author provided a bigger, full version

people are ten years ahead of you on this one, but there's a transcription in this reddit thread if that helps cut some of the legwork

quote:

The only things I'll say about it are that one glyph is doing double duty (mistake on my part,) and that it's not just a substitution cipher (I mean, it is, but not only.)

Inexplicable Humblebrag has a new favorite as of 23:35 on Jan 10, 2023

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

the author provided a bigger, full version

people are ten years ahead of you on this one, but there's a transcription in this reddit thread if that helps cut some of the legwork
this is excellent, lol

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I keep forgetting Opplopolis is a modern webcomic and not a translated vintage French comic series from the early 2000s or something.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Kill Six Billion Demons

Alt: He got a new coat!

quote:

Dhuutholmel

Alt: More (actual) returning characters!

quote:

“A Devil can be the most horrifying warrior, untiring manservant, or cunning secretary that one could wish. But unlike humankind’s weak Black Flame, the flame of the Devils glows hot and raw. It must be fettered. Otherwise, they will surely tear Throne apart, angels be damned.”

– Par Vam, Undersecretary of the Yellow City
This guy has an incomprehensible level of swag

Alt: In which Allison lays down some hard truths

quote:

“The power drawn from strength is mighty indeed. All men respect the sword.

Greater still is the power drawn from ultimate weakness. When a man has nothing to cling to, he has taken the first step to becoming Royalty”

-Words of Dyon, Knight Mendicant (est. third century post second-conquest)

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

I don't know why he made cool frog so miserable. He used to just want you to stop getting mad at video games

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Cobbler's children have no shoes or some poo poo I guess

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Uramachi Sakaba

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

timg'd: ding dongs

No true comics fan waits until Comic-Con

FILTER > OTHER > MAPPLETHORPE

The Curse of Gladdington Castle is pretty crazy. You might want to read again on Monday. It is crazy.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Kit Walker posted:

Alt: In which Allison lays down some hard truths

Not gonna lie, Allison's rhyme at the end is one of my favorite parts of this whole comic. It's just such a great mic drop line, but also gives you a really good look at her defining character trait of "Jesus christ, enough, I've had it with this bullshit."

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

Kit Walker posted:

Kill Six Billion Demons

OK, I had my doubts but I'm 100% on board now. Whoever said it picks up after she goes home and comes back was right.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

e-dt posted:

timg'd: ding dongs

No true comics fan waits until Comic-Con

FILTER > OTHER > MAPPLETHORPE

For those of you who are reading these for the first time, it's crucially important context that Onstad took these down the day after and replaced them with cockless variations. The fans revolted, however, and he conceded and restored the glorious rock hard cat cock you see before you today.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Loving the subtle SA shoutout here

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

ikanreed posted:

I don't know why he made cool frog so miserable. He used to just want you to stop getting mad at video games

In FOA, cool frog embodies how a person who has good advice to give seems like to a person struggling with bad habits. That's my take. He's often the wisest cast member, but he's also insufferable, in a way that somehow feels like projection despite the fact that he's fictional.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

sinburger posted:

Not gonna lie, Allison's rhyme at the end is one of my favorite parts of this whole comic. It's just such a great mic drop line, but also gives you a really good look at her defining character trait of "Jesus christ, enough, I've had it with this bullshit."

I also like that Abbadon took something that others might make fun of (being in a sorority) and instead made it an empowering thing that helps Allison face off against an incredibly ancient and powerful demon

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

And now for your reading pleasure, Hark! A Vagrant presents:

MokBa has a new favorite as of 04:22 on Jan 11, 2023

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Mostly skimming k6bd but the little background devils are cute, I love them.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

oh gently caress I feel this one.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

I can't quite get the metre right in my head for some of the demon songs, but I love them anyway.

So DRINK for the treach-er-y and DRINK for the flame! And GUARD thy bloody, blackened name!

Emzedoh posted:

She's always represented herself as a cow, even back in her FMA days. Not sure why, never questioned it.

Today's Noble Peasant, it's all about bears.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

MokBa posted:

And now for your reading pleasure, Hark! A Vagrant presents:

Highlight of the comic right here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hark A Vagrant (Sexism is Over)