Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008

massive spider posted:

Miles whole thing is that he's the kind of narcissist who genuinely is incapable of seeing what he does as wrong. So screwing you over and then expecting you to just forgive him when he makes a big flashy gesture is very in character.

What got me was that She got to attend while Miles knew that she was supposed to be dead. So either 1) He knew it wasn't Andi, but didnt want to give himself away by making a scene at her arrival. 2) The fact that he left the car running and didn't see her die meant he thought his murder attempt had failed.

Pretty sure it’s number 2. They made a point when Blanc was describing how it would have gone down to Helen of how it would look like Andi had just gone to sleep when they left her in the car, so they wouldn’t be confronted by a violent death. ‘Somehow Andi survived, what’s her game? Is she here to confront me? For revenge?’ seems more likely a thought process than ‘oh of course, secret twin’

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
He's also cocky enough to not worry. They don't have evidence, they can't prove he did it, and so he's not going to give anything away.

I suspect that's why the film doesn't worry about why Miles doesn't worry that a dead woman showed up to her party. There's enough logical reasons, and it doesn't really change the plot.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

massive spider posted:

The bathtub scene is and him complaining about needing a good mystery is also the setup for the jokes later about how Brons mystery was a perfect “bite sized satisfying” mystery, but then the actual conclusion and culprit is so profoundly obvious he gets angry

Firstly it’s not actually that easy to hire a hit man in real life. This is movie land so it varies on how realistic they want to go with it but IRL hitmen only really exist within the mob, not as agent 47 style free agents.

Taking that a bit further, even in criminal organizations, it's not like somebody like John Wick is a real thing. There are people who known for being willing and able to kill other people, but it's not like they hang out in futurist art-deco apartments waiting for The Call. They transport merchandise (which could be people), run numbers or protection rackets, sell/run drugs and otherwise do stuff to make the organization money. And if something needing wetwork does come up, "Yeah, you wanna call Jonny the Wick who runs that cigarette thing by the docks. He's pretty good with that poo poo."

Really the most likely way to hire a "hitman" successfully would be to start out from a job/position of knowing people who would be at least theoretically willing and able to kill for you. Criminal defense attorney. Security person for some group that employs private military contractors. Something like that. Miles was not in that position.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Finally saw this over the weekend and really loved it. Caught up on the thread which of course was just people making the same arguments over and over, because that’s what happens with any thread when you’re reading several months of discourse in an hour.

I think a big thing with the Knives Outs movies is both of them find ways to subvert the typical murder mystery. The first one shows the murder as an accident and isn’t played as a “mystery” at all. Blanc is essentially the antagonist while our heroine tries to get away from him. It ends up being a murder mystery in the end, because she was set up by someone else and all the pieces end up fitting. The new one had to go with a different approach, instead hiding crucial information that the protagonists know but the audience doesn’t. I thought it was very fun and gave the movie a much more interesting pace than if we had followed all the events chronologically. It’s definitely not as “clever” as Knives Out, but that’s the point because Bron is a moron.

I’m sure that Bron and probably everyone else there were well aware that Andi had a twin sister. There’s a good chance that they had met her before. We don’t see into Bron’s mind, so we have no idea whether or not he thinks Andi survived the murder attempt or if he knows that it’s Helen in disguise. Chances are both of those possibilities went through his head. Either way, the arrival of “Andi” and Blanc is a huge surprise and he’s basically a deer in headlights with no idea what to do. Bron is a dumb guy who thinks he is very smart, so instead of sending them home, he keeps them around while he tries to figure out a clever plan to handle the situation. And honestly it almost ended up being the right call, if not for the hydrogen crystals and Mona Lisa override.

Things just kind of work out for billionaires because that’s the nature of extreme wealth. We can’t apply any kind of real logic to Bron’s decisions because, not only is he in an incredibly complicated position, he also thinks he’s smart and powerful enough to get out of it. I think every action he takes throughout the film makes perfect sense for the character, regardless of whether he thinks it’s actually Andi or if it’s Helen. He does stupid things because he’s a moron but he still almost gets away with it because he’s powerful enough that he can.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Everyone posted:

Taking that a bit further, even in criminal organizations, it's not like somebody like John Wick is a real thing. There are people who known for being willing and able to kill other people, but it's not like they hang out in futurist art-deco apartments waiting for The Call. They transport merchandise (which could be people), run numbers or protection rackets, sell/run drugs and otherwise do stuff to make the organization money. And if something needing wetwork does come up, "Yeah, you wanna call Jonny the Wick who runs that cigarette thing by the docks. He's pretty good with that poo poo."

Really the most likely way to hire a "hitman" successfully would be to start out from a job/position of knowing people who would be at least theoretically willing and able to kill for you. Criminal defense attorney. Security person for some group that employs private military contractors. Something like that. Miles was not in that position.

Anyone who wants to see how this "supposedly" goes down see Michael Clayton. And even they were hesitant to do jobs and needed "authorization" (i.e. someone to put the responsibility on) if they got caught. But the idea is those guys don't get caught because there's never a suspicion of foul play.

Who knows maybe Miles watched it before visiting Andi and thought he was Ken from Real Genius and not-Anthony Michael Hall?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

the holy poopacy posted:

Although Blanc does mention the possibility of a prototype; Miles asserts that only five boxes were ever built, but that could have been four + a prototype.

He could also simply be lying. He’s acting confused in that scene, but he’s very aware that Blanc may be onto him, and he wants Blanc to reveal something about why he is there.

the holy poopacy posted:

Speaking of the invites, I do have to appreciate that the entire plot only works because Miles is the type of person to order elaborate handmade puzzle boxes for his closest friends in the world and then use form notes for the invitations themselves. Had he signed anyone's names to the invites then Benoit would not be able to sneak on.

The cover story that the box was reset and sent to Blanc still works, just requires a note to be forged. Either requires one of the Disruptors to be a prankster, it just raises the effort a little.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 3, 2023

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Just finished watching it. It was a pretty good film, I thought.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Like the first one it was ok, a bunch of fun performances in a badly plotted mystery.

I wonder if Blanc has ever investigated the Bloom bros

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I struggle to think of the last whodunnit where the mystery, the intrigue and the reveal were all just perfectly, reasonably plotted. It’s a genre for which lower standards might be justified, somewhat similar to horror.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
this was a very fun and very good movie IMO

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

haven't seen the first one yet but looking forward (backward ?? lol) to it

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
The only mystery for me is whether the malaproper's mispronunciation of Gillian Flynn was intentional. It fits with the character, but was left out of the flashback and isn't called out in the script or by the character bothered by the malapropisms.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Not sure if this is already well known but it completely passed me by - Rian Johnson made a murder mystery TV show starring Natasha Lyonne and it's out in three weeks! He even wrote and directed half the episodes. Where does he find the time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x2NzusLAqk

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

stev posted:

Not sure if this is already well known but it completely passed me by - Rian Johnson made a murder mystery TV show starring Natasha Lyonne and it's out in three weeks! He even wrote and directed half the episodes. Where does he find the time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x2NzusLAqk

That explains her seemingly random inclusion on the Zoom call.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

live with fruit posted:

That explains her seemingly random inclusion on the Zoom call.

Yeah I was wondering about that

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

precision posted:

Yeah I was wondering about that

TBF, she got some hotness recently with "Russian Doll" on Netflix, so when she appeared in Glass Onion, I really didn't question it.

Also, her cadence in that trailer echoes a certain Los Angeles police detective played by Peter Falk.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I wonder why that would be

https://twitter.com/nlyonne/status/1245820361691656199

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
There are a bunch of Columboisms in season 2 of Russian Doll, also.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Kooky Detective Cinematic Universe

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I guess the movie was originally supposed to begin on the dock ?

They added in a lot more introductions then before that later

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

garycoleisgod posted:

I didn't quite like this as much as Knives Out, I don't think it's terrible but I think it has problems that are structural in nature and maybe un-resolvable without changing the entire story.

I don't really have a problem with the "gently caress tech-bros and the rich" stuff, the napkin is massive nonsense, but it's easy to just squint and say it's a macguffin, but the main problem for me was that in a 2 hour and change movie, nothing really happens until an hour in. And the majority of the rest of the movie is a flashback that just exists to backfill info for the audience, and then once we're back from the flashback, Blanc immediately explains the whole thing and we are left with a climax, that as some previous posters have said, isn't that great and raises some questions of why NOW things have changed, the murderer should be able to bluff it out imo, will take some hits, but make it through but that's not what the end implies.

Obviously the inciting incident has already happened before the movie even really starts, but the structure obscures this and while we know we're watching a movie and there are things going on with this group of "friends", there is nothing actually for the audience to pick at because, well, we don't know about Andi's death and the scheme Blanc/Helen are running, on first watching you're waiting for the story to start, not realising it already has.

Imagine if in Knives Out, you didn't know Christopher Plummer was dead until halfway through, rather than being the opening scene.

The movie kind of needs this structure, as otherwise it's too long until we hit the island, but this structure robs the flashback of any real tension, it's just filling in info to explain stuff we've already seen on screen, and it last's so very long. To be honest, you could cut from Blanc suggesting to Helen she impersonate Andi straight back to "present" time, all the extended looks at scenes we've already seen don't add anything and don't really explain the mystery or anything, as it's all red herrings.

As an example of things wrong with the structure imo, some posters posted about how the hot sauce dripping down the face was the scene with the most tension in the movie and obviously it's just opinions, but for me there was zero tension there because the story structure has already shown us what happens after that scene, nothing, Blanc has taken them back inside, nobody has noticed "Andi" is still alive, so how can there be tension?

Lot of negative words from me here, but I think all of the good of this movie comes from a stacked cast giving good performances, the "clever" things in the movie are like Bron, not that clever and a bit annoying.

But it is a really good cast, so worth at least one watch.
Big agree on your summation.

I think the structure is the opposite of clever and the only thing it adds to the movie is to nearly double the run time. I had the same problem with Knives Out, although it's even worse in Glass Onion. Withholding all of the information needed to solve the mystery until halfway through the movie and then revealing everything is not clever.

I did really enjoy the satirical take on Elon and Joe Rogan and other celebrity archetypes the members of the party were meant to portray.

edit: Conclusion - Movie pretty bad

th3t00t fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 10, 2023

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Dave Bautista's character is not a satire of Joe Rogan and if it is, boy howdy did they gently caress it up.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Dave Bautista's character is not a satire of Joe Rogan and if it is, boy howdy did they gently caress it up.

He's probably a mix of Joe Rogan/Alex Jones with a bit of Andrew Tate type guys.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Annabel Pee posted:

He's probably a mix of Joe Rogan/Alex Jones with a bit of Andrew Tate type guys.

He is very obviously a parody of Dan Bilzerian or the other type of inauthentic "alpha male", who upon investigation owe their status to their family situation. He isn't histrionic enough to be Jones, and he's not baked enough to be Rogan.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
If Bautista was supposed be Rogan, Rian would have had him agree with the last person he talks to in every scene even when the information conflicts with what he said one scene prior.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

If Bautista was supposed be Rogan, Rian would have had him agree with the last person he talks to in every scene even when the information conflicts with what he said one scene prior.

lmao

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

MacheteZombie posted:

Yes, I was trying to find a way to say "agreeable but in a dumb way" and you nailed it. Also some variant of "you ever take <a psychotropic drug>?" and constantly having his assistant chase down rando stuff he just remembered. Rogan is very distinctive.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
A trail of smoke following him around like Pigpen

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Rogan helped popularize Musk with the masses by having him on his show. It's probably why my brain went to Rogan first even if Bautista's character more closely satirizes the others mentioned. There's still a bit of Rogan in there.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Bautista is waaaaaaay too tall to be playing a Roganesque character.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Duke is nothing like rogan lol

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

CelticPredator posted:

Duke is nothing like rogan lol

Bald, red, sweaty, alpha male podcaster/vlogger is a pretty common archetype with a lot of variations, it doesn’t have to match up to any person in particular. All of the characters are pastiches that are recognizable as types if you’re very online. There’s no point in trying to figure out which particular thing is satirizing which specific person.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

th3t00t posted:

Rogan helped popularize Musk with the masses by having him on his show. It's probably why my brain went to Rogan first even if Bautista's character more closely satirizes the others mentioned. There's still a bit of Rogan in there.

No, he didn't and no, there isn't.

Elon Musk first went on Joe Rogan in September 2018.

Here is a Google Trends search on Elon Musk:

As you can see, in February 2018 he suddenly got a big jump in awareness, and this established a new baseline of search activity for him. The second spike that gets built up to is the Rogan show, but as you can see long term it really just returns to baseline.

February 2018 was when he launched a Tesla into space, which was widely reported in the news. That's the thing that did it, not some weed-smoking memes from Twitter.

Also he's not popular with "the masses" in the first place. He's just known. (https://today.yougov.com/topics/economy/explore/public_figure/Elon_Musk) and has roughly equivalent popularity to Al Gore. Your post is just a bunch of nonsense, probably from your social media impressions. Log off Twitter.

Lastly, you seem to have no actual idea who Rogan is or what his most recognizable personality traits are, but they're very easy to spot. Rogan is a distinctive guy. So tell me: what part of Duke, in your opinion, parodies or caricatures Rogan?

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 11, 2023

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

himbo

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

th3t00t posted:

Big agree on your summation.

I think the structure is the opposite of clever and the only thing it adds to the movie is to nearly double the run time. I had the same problem with Knives Out, although it's even worse in Glass Onion. Withholding all of the information needed to solve the mystery until halfway through the movie and then revealing everything is not clever.

I did really enjoy the satirical take on Elon and Joe Rogan and other celebrity archetypes the members of the party were meant to portray.

edit: Conclusion - Movie pretty bad

The fun in the first part of the film is supposed to be precisely the same as the fun Blanc has with the murder mystery game, which is looking for clues when you don’t yet know what is happening or even who is going to be the victim.

If you don’t find that fun, then yes, you won’t like the movie.

You see a murder on-screen before the structure turns back on itself to set up the original mystery, and you get everything you need to solve that mystery part-way into the flashback.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Bald, red, sweaty, alpha male podcaster/vlogger is a pretty common archetype with a lot of variations, it doesn’t have to match up to any person in particular. All of the characters are pastiches that are recognizable as types if you’re very online. There’s no point in trying to figure out which particular thing is satirizing which specific person.

To me if you’re doing a rogan parody in 2022 he has to be a podcaster. That’s really what most people think of when they think Rogan. A very dumb very wide grabbing of all sides podcaster.

Duke is a twitch streamer, dude bro YouTuber influencer. A completely different market all together.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
To me a good Rogan parody would have to include the “yeah man right” stoner credulousness. It’s how he defends himself, he’s not advocating these things he’s just having these guys on his show and it Makes Ya Think don’t it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Imo with Rian being online I wish Duke was more like Keemstar lmao

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

CelticPredator posted:

To me if you’re doing a rogan parody in 2022 he has to be a podcaster. That’s really what most people think of when they think Rogan. A very dumb very wide grabbing of all sides podcaster.

Duke is a twitch streamer, dude bro YouTuber influencer. A completely different market all together.

If you think red faced, steroided, supplement hawking, masculinity obsessed podcaster is an entirely different market than red faced, steroided, supplement hawking masculinity obsessed twitch steamer *you* may be too online and seeing fine distinctions that don’t register with people who don’t enmesh themselves in the fine distinctions between alt right weirdos.

A quick internet search indicates that plenty of people thought he was evocative of Rogan.

But, again, they’re all pastiche. They don’t need to be any one person. They’re shorthand for a certain broad type of rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

If you can draw a circle around a category of person that includes both Alex Jones and Joe Rogan, Duke is a pastiche of that category. None of these characters are 1:1 riffs on a single real human.