Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

If I ever see him in real life I'll "Pistol Whip" him for his stupid tweets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
hot take: pistol whip is a very simple game

and that's me being as euphemistic as possible

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

It is, but it's also one of the better VR games. Particularly in the later DLCs when they mixed up the music selection and got a bit more ambitious with the environments. It's one of my go-tos when I got people over who want to try VR.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pistol Whip and Synth Riders are the only VR games I'm still playing regularly.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Anyone want RE4 for Quest?

Please only redeem it if it's your kind of game. It's one of the best native quest 2 games imo and deserves to be enjoyed from beginning to end.

QHQNH T9MTX JTA4A EE37C 6G3K

last character is 3.

MeatRocket8 fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 12, 2023

Avicus
Aug 31, 2007
Gentleman Bastard
Grimey Drawer

ChocNitty posted:

Anyone want RE4 for Quest?

Please only redeem it if it's your kind of game. It's one of the best native quest 2 games imo and deserves to be enjoyed from beginning to end.

QHQNH T9MTX JTA4A EE37C 6G3K

last character is 3.

Redeemed, thank you ChocNitty!

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Collateral Damage posted:

Didn't one of the space quest games have a section early on where you need to stop and pick up a small object that's very easy to miss, and said object is then not used for most of the game until it becomes critical to have very close to the end? So if you didn't pick that item up you could spend hours playing through the game without knowing you wouldn't be able to finish it.

Space quest 6 had belt part things you needed.
Space quest 3 had a manual you needed + some ship part things to get to other worlds/planets or w/e.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah I dont see why it’s a threat. VR cannot, should not and will not replace 2D gaming. They will just exist side by side like they do now.

It’s only a threat if your company absolutely refuses to do VR and even then it’s not a big threat, you’re just leaving some potential money on the table.

I mean it’s be super cool if, say, activision would make a call of duty vr game but even if they did, no one should pretend that it’s even take 1% of their normal audience. Threat, lawl

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I'm remembering the Space Quest where you need to pick up the little piece of broken glass from the crash at the beginning to finish the game.

That one also had the creatures who tell you "just say the word and we'll go!" Solution: literally

> say the word

:catstare:

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
So a while back I got one of those Anker charging docks for the quest 2, and aside from some overly sensitive placement, it's pretty neat.

The issue I have is the strap I use has an integrated battery, which uses a wire to connect to the existing charging port. The Anker uses a small magnetic coupling to charge when it's in the dock, and it's getting annoying to unplug the adaptor and store the mini thing and not lose it when gaming

I see I can easily grab more, but they all seem to be matched pairs, as in the 'male' side matches to a specific 'female' side and they don't seem to interchange brand to brand. Before I waste time and money trial and erroring it, has anybody found good replacement adaptors that let me keep the magnetic port on and just make all my wires simply use it?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I have bought Grid Legends, will report once I've played.

Was only $22.50 with an app referral, here's mine if anyone wants to grab it discounted:
https://www.oculus.com/appreferrals/Tip/7252497758125048/?utm_source=4

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

TIP posted:

Was only $22.50 with an app referral, here's mine if anyone wants to grab it discounted:

Report when you can, but man, this seemed ... rough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY-sZO68E8k

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

First world problems and all that, but Meta still hasn't made a page for their app referral system, it's only on the smartphone app, and even in the app, it kind of sucks, you have to swipe horizontally a ton, it seems designed thinking people were going to do 5 or 6 referrals to their friends and not... *gasp* share links with strangers through Internet.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Minor news, but the DRG devs has bought a minority stake on a VR studio
https://www.gamespress.com/Ghost-Ship-Games-invests-in-VR-company

I wonder if they plan to do an official VR version of DRG.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Anyone tried Quest and especially hand tracking in the dark using IR lights? I've been wondering about the efficacy of it for a project.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Hand tracking works independent of room lighting as the headset cameras pick up the IR from the controllers. Only the headset and Quest Pro Touch need room lighting. I haven’t tried IR lighting but there’s some Amazon battery straps which include forward-facing IR to light the room and reviews seemed to imply it works?

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
I picked up an HP Reverb 2 for 50% off and have been playing with it for a few days. So far I've tried Boneworks and Rogue Squadron's VR mode. They're fun, but I can play for about 30 minutes at a time, about five minutes less than games seem to have checkpoints so I'm usually pretty uncomfortable by the time I take the headset off. I don't really get nauseous, I think it has more to do with eye strain. My depth perception is wrecked for about ten minutes afterward and I feel like I've been focusing on the lenses of my eye glasses rather than the light coming through them.

Is this addressable in some way or is it just how some people react to VR? I can adjust the focal length but it's more like trying slightly different lense strengths at the eye doctor but none of them are completely right. Things directly in the center of my vision are in sharp focus but everything else is slightly blurry. Overall it's fine, but I'm already starting to avoid playing because of the discomfort and it'd be a bummer if this headset ended up in my "seemed like a good idea at the time" drawer.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Jesus, are those your first VR games? If so then start with something more gentle, Boneworks in particular is notoriously tough for some people, and it takes a little while to get your VR legs as it is; it's completely normal to feel weird afterwards, until your brain understands what it's perceiving.

Maybe try something static like Beat Saber or Synth Riders, and games with teleport movement like HL Alyx or Walkabout Mini Golf. Horizon Vanguard and Pistol Whip are decent arcade style games with slow, consistent auto-scrolling in wide open areas, so the sense of motion is heavily reduced. Also perhaps try to position the headset so you can see the outside world under your nose, it can help at first if you have that anchor point to give your senses a rest.

Basically you've jumped right into the deep end and tried to swim twenty laps on your first day in the pool; give it a week or two with some gentler games and you'll probably find it getting a lot easier, until you don't have any issues at all. There's an initial learning curve for your brain, which is unfortunately just a part of the current tech!

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

BrianRx posted:

I picked up an HP Reverb 2 for 50% off and have been playing with it for a few days. So far I've tried Boneworks and Rogue Squadron's VR mode. They're fun, but I can play for about 30 minutes at a time, about five minutes less than games seem to have checkpoints so I'm usually pretty uncomfortable by the time I take the headset off. I don't really get nauseous, I think it has more to do with eye strain. My depth perception is wrecked for about ten minutes afterward and I feel like I've been focusing on the lenses of my eye glasses rather than the light coming through them.

Is this addressable in some way or is it just how some people react to VR? I can adjust the focal length but it's more like trying slightly different lense strengths at the eye doctor but none of them are completely right. Things directly in the center of my vision are in sharp focus but everything else is slightly blurry. Overall it's fine, but I'm already starting to avoid playing because of the discomfort and it'd be a bummer if this headset ended up in my "seemed like a good idea at the time" drawer.

It takes time to get used to VR. 30 minutes might be too much to start with and Boneworks is especially vomit-inducing.

I don't have a Reverb, but did you set the IPD distance on it correctly?

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Koramei posted:

Anyone tried Quest and especially hand tracking in the dark using IR lights? I've been wondering about the efficacy of it for a project.

Not personally but IR light is supposed to be quite effective to allow playing in the dark, yeah.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

BrianRx posted:

Basically try games with teleport movement (alyx, skyrim, vader immortal, no mans sky), roomscale (I expect you to die, beat saber, superhot VR) or other hand locomotion (jet Island) first, controller joystick (a.k.a. stick movement) games can be nausea inducing in the beginning and vehicle/cockpit games only slightly less so - though a HOTAS helps with the latter.

Some people swear by hand locomotion where you move your hands up and down in an exaggerated sprint motion which is then mapped into stick movement using one of several steam plugins, but I found it worthless and absolutely hated it so YMMV.

Sometimes people also recommend taking motion sickness pills since it's the same problem, but they tend to have side effects which make it not worth it for me.

Other popular stick-only games you might want to think twice before geting include subnautica, sairento VR, asgards wraths and blade & sorcery.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 15, 2023

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
You really have to start by knowing what your IPD actually is. If you ask nicely at an eyeglass store that you wanted to know for VR, they might do it for you; they were happy to help me out. The Reverb G2 has a hardware IPD slider on the bottom from what I’m googling.

As for motion sickness pills, you can just eat powdered ginger pills instead, they have no side effects and suppress excess stomach acid. I’m very motion sickness prone and they work for me in VR, car rides etc.

Edit: you need to take a better look at focal distance too; the IPD is extremely important but different headsets have their own focal distance to the screen itself. One way to narrow things down would be to try contact lenses instead of glasses in order to get the headset closer to your face and compare the comfort. For me the Pimax 5K is fine for hours and the 8K is unplayable because the hardware focal distance is way too close even though the headsets look physically identical.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 15, 2023

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Private Speech posted:

Basically try games with teleport movement (alyx, skyrim, vader immortal, no mans sky), roomscale (I expect you to die, beat saber, superhot VR) or other hand locomotion (jet Island) first, controller joystick (a.k.a. stick movement) games can be nausea inducing in the beginning and vehicle/cockpit games only slightly less so - though a HOTAS helps with the latter.

Some people swear by hand locomotion where you move your hands up and down in an exaggerated sprint motion which is then mapped into stick movement using one of several steam plugins, but I found it worthless and absolutely hated it so YMMV.

Sometimes people also recommend taking motion sickness pills since it's the same problem, but they tend to have side effects which make it not worth it for me.

Other popular stick-only games you might want to think twice before geting include subnautica, sairento VR, asgards wraths and blade & sorcery.

VRChat is legitimately useful for this, just for sitting in a comfy VR space to acclimatize to stick/trackpad movement and the like. Just poke around some worlds on your own at your own pace.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The tweet also ignores the fact that VR has significantly enhanced some flat games, not just ruined them or made them weird as he suggests. Like racing and flight sims.

If you're releasing a race or flight sim without VR support, I aint buying it. Its that important. And I know I'm not alone in that thought

What I'd really like to see at this point are sim games with VR support. SimCity/Frostpunk/Civilization/Planet Coaster/whatever would all be significantly cooler with a VR version where you have a draggable world in 3D and floating panels for your 2D UI.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Thanks everybody for the information about making the experience more comfortable. I picked up Pistol Whip and not only is it a blast but I felt a lot better when I put it down. I'm taking the advice to keep sessions shorter seriously and Pistol Whip is perfect for that. I also started playing with the IPD and set it to the max (I think it's 68mm) and didn't have any focal issues so that was obviously an issue.

My main use case for the headset is to play something like Valheim VR or Subnautica with a controller, but those are definitely going to have the problems with smooth movement that were mentioned. Oh well, maybe one day.

Last question: Pistol Whip has a high-score hotseat mode. I'd love to find something less gun-related that my wife would enjoy. Beat Sabre seems like a good option. Are there any others that would be good to check out? The higher pricing on VR games (I'm looking at you, HL Alyx) makes sense but definitely limits how many games I can try out.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
So if I bought a PS5 specifically for PSVR 2, is there anything out there about PSVR 2 that argues against my pre-ordering now?

What early reviews I've seen have been pretty positive, so sounds like they might have stuck the landing with foveated rendering.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

BrianRx posted:

Last question: Pistol Whip has a high-score hotseat mode. I'd love to find something less gun-related that my wife would enjoy. Beat Sabre seems like a good option. Are there any others that would be good to check out? The higher pricing on VR games (I'm looking at you, HL Alyx) makes sense but definitely limits how many games I can try out.

Synth Riders and Walkabout Mini Golf are my go-to games, Walkabout has some great DLC courses and Synth Riders has a decent custom song scene as well.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

So if I bought a PS5 specifically for PSVR 2, is there anything out there about PSVR 2 that argues against my pre-ordering now?

What early reviews I've seen have been pretty positive, so sounds like they might have stuck the landing with foveated rendering.

There aren't any early reviews yet, only impressions from CES where Sony could set up the exact perfect conditions for it.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

BrianRx posted:

Thanks everybody for the information about making the experience more comfortable. I picked up Pistol Whip and not only is it a blast but I felt a lot better when I put it down. I'm taking the advice to keep sessions shorter seriously and Pistol Whip is perfect for that. I also started playing with the IPD and set it to the max (I think it's 68mm) and didn't have any focal issues so that was obviously an issue.

My main use case for the headset is to play something like Valheim VR or Subnautica with a controller, but those are definitely going to have the problems with smooth movement that were mentioned. Oh well, maybe one day.

Beat Saber and Synth Riders.

If you're going to stick to native and not mod, grab synth riders. Its a better all around game as far as OST goes IMO.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Turin Turambar posted:

TIP posted:

Report when you can, but man, this seemed ... rough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY-sZO68E8k

ok, so I finally played the game and every bad thing that people say about it is true

BUT

it's really good anyways because the driving feels great and when you're concentrating on driving everything else melts away

I would suggest rebinding the controls though, it's very stupid to have to take your thumb off the steering in order to change gears

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

njsykora posted:

There aren't any early reviews yet, only impressions from CES where Sony could set up the exact perfect conditions for it.

IR tracking's been a pretty solid setup for a few years now, and seems pretty hard to gently caress up with LED lights and cameras. HTC had to REALLY try to make the Cosmos controllers suck poo poo by wanting to be different.

Beyond that, if there was gonna be drift or blind spots people have used inside-out tracked headsets long enough to know what to expect and look for. (Ie; how far away from being in front before hands go bye-bye). If tech reviewers testing it are calling it solid, it seems fairly reasonable to believe them on this.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I have an old Oculus DK2 in a box. I kept it around for sentimental value but I actually just want to get rid of it.

I don't expect these to be collectors items, but I also think it's a waste to give it to a charity shop that doesn't know what to do with it. Best solution is probably to offer it for a token asking price on a second hand website?

Haven't booted it up since the CV1 released, so I don't even know if it's working.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Meta has made a free game/showcase of apis for devs
https://developer.oculus.com/blog/ultimate-glove-ball-esports-multiplayer-showcase/
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/...player-showcase

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dk2 is 3DOF right?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Nope, it was 6. There was an external camera, just no motion controllers

poo poo, wait now I'm not sure. I might be insane

Edit: double checked yep it had the camera so you could lean around and stuff, still basically all seated though

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

What's your favorite monkee VR game

Gorilla Rooms https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/8253004608044815/
Pinguin Paradise https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/5817303821616533/ (bonus for different animal)
Monkey Mischief https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/5077064592389695/
Robot Tag https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/5918504334849265/
Gorilla Soccer https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/4528497603918074/
Monkey Royale https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/7746240048779446/ (let's add Berettas to monkee games!)
Monke Chasers https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/5245646482207605/ (I wonder what were chasing...)

This seems more legitime competition, although still with some inspiration from GT
https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/zxgn6n/vine_swinging_banana_grabbing_action_our_free_vr/

Finally we have Toss, that seems to continue the tradition of platform/climber games like to the Top! and others, so this seem really not a copy or inspired by GT, it's just they use the monkey character for the same reason Lemming chose it, because it fits with what you do in the game
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1270460/TOSS/

(sighs heavily)

I have to add to the "list of shame"
Prosbocis https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/5620508118045963/
Monkey Land https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/5769931693101293/
Monkey Runners https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/5716640435116350/
Bunny Runners https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/5700473813339535/

actually I was checking an update for vrsort.com

In more interesting news, we have an update for hl2 vr
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/658920/view/6266229529372432227

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 16, 2023

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Honestly I was initially a little annoyed from there being so many straight up clones instead of people doing more original things with the locomotion, but a lot/most of these are being made by teenagers who just felt really inspired to try to make something, no matter how derivative. I think this is going to be a big part of how the next generation of developers think about vr design

For the love of God why aren't more devs paying attention to what is actually engaging players instead of just making more stick locomotion zombie shooters aagagajaggahahagajhahajag

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Lemming posted:

Honestly I was initially a little annoyed from there being so many straight up clones instead of people doing more original things with the locomotion, but a lot/most of these are being made by teenagers who just felt really inspired to try to make something, no matter how derivative. I think this is going to be a big part of how the next generation of developers think about vr design

For the love of God why aren't more devs paying attention to what is actually engaging players instead of just making more stick locomotion zombie shooters aagagajaggahahagajhahajag

Because it's the children who are wrong. Duh.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Roberta Williams herself worked on this update of the classic text adventure Colossal Cave to VR and... it's baffling that she jammed point and click adventure mechanics into it

like seriously, you have a cursor that you have to switch to an eye icon and click on things to "look" at them :lmao:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj3DSf0g1uI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

TIP posted:

Roberta Williams herself worked on this update of the classic text adventure Colossal Cave to VR and... it's baffling that she jammed point and click adventure mechanics into it

like seriously, you have a cursor that you have to switch to an eye icon and click on things to "look" at them :lmao:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj3DSf0g1uI

I uh don't think a VR text adventure was really the most promising idea to begin with