Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

in japanese, the point at which green and blue are distinguished from one another is different than it is in english. japanese traffic lights have red, yellow, and green like everywhere else, but the teal color they use for green appears distinctively blue to native english speakers. but in japan they call it green.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
they have those "blue" lights in nj too, mostly around bridges and tunnels. and yes it looks kinda weird

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
the brightest star "sirius," which is blue, is referred to as being red in ancient texts but nobody is sure why

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

this is a sea slug called a sea bunny

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
appropriate

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

the collective noun for hedgehogs is an Array of hedgehogs

this array is typed and its type is hedgehog

chogs for short

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Silver Alicorn posted:

the brightest star "sirius," which is blue, is referred to as being red in ancient texts but nobody is sure why

Solid fact. I read the Wikipedia page on Sirius to find out more and learned it’s the origin of the phrase “dog days of summer” (it’s the Dog Star, and depending on what it looked like on the horizon the greeks interpreted that as an omen for a hot/dry summer)

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

ADINSX posted:

Solid fact. I read the Wikipedia page on Sirius to find out more and learned it’s the origin of the phrase “dog days of summer” (it’s the Dog Star, and depending on what it looked like on the horizon the greeks interpreted that as an omen for a hot/dry summer)

echinopsis posted:

chogs for short

The chog days of summer

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sagebrush posted:

in japanese, the point at which green and blue are distinguished from one another is different than it is in english. japanese traffic lights have red, yellow, and green like everywhere else, but the teal color they use for green appears distinctively blue to native english speakers. but in japan they call it green.

if it’s the same as chinese, which it might be, there are actually 3 color words going on here. 蓝 is blue, 绿 is green, and 青 is either green or blue or greenish blue. the word for green is the newest of those words ive heard. anyway it seems like part of the choice into which word you use is tradition rather than actual color?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

they are pretty turquoise (or aquamarine i guess) in person. that makes sense

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sweevo posted:

you can divide most european languages between those who got the word from spain and call it orange (from spanish "naranja"), those who got it from portugal and call it "bortugal" or "portakal") and those who called it "chinese apple" in their own language.

similarly, you can divide most languages between those that got their tea from overland trade routes and thus call the stuff a variation of the central and northern chinese cha, and those that got their tea from ships departing ports in the far south and which call it a variation of the coastal southern chinese te.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Sagebrush posted:

this is a sea slug called a sea bunny

that’s a nudibranch not a sea slug

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

similarly, you can divide most languages between those that got their tea from overland trade routes and thus call the stuff a variation of the central and northern chinese cha, and those that got their tea from ships departing ports in the far south and which call it a variation of the coastal southern chinese te.

same with coffee but I don’t remember what the other option even is

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
mama mia

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
topologically speaking, your stomach is on the outside of your body

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

my homie dhall posted:

topologically speaking, your stomach is on the outside of your body

:pwn:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
see we have a sphincter denier up in here

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

some sea cucumbers will shoot some of their organs out their bum at you if threatened

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
turns out I am part sea cucumber

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

fun fact: joe biden was born closer to abraham lincolns assassination than he was to his own inauguration. think about it.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

dianne feinstein will be 91 at the end of her term in 2024. her mental faculties rival tapioca

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
fact : beeftweeter contains barely any beef

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

0% tweets by volume

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

In the USA, ageism is considered illegal discrimination but only if the person being discriminated against is over 40. It is fine to be ageist against young people.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that seems reasonable

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
years ago there was a thing here where you would put a certain sticker on your car to indicate it was owned by an older person, so if you saw a younger person driving it, it would be fair to assume they stole it

this got called ageism because there’s some implication that younger people are more likely to steal a car. which tbf is probably true

but idk if it’s discrimination? tbh idk how to think. the younger people could have made their own

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

fact: old people love stealing poo poo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

literal turd burglars

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

windows 95 didn't come bundled with a video for weezer's buddy holly. it was actually windows xp, but somehow our collective consciousness has transformed it to be windows 95 over the years. another weird case of the mandela effect

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

polyester concept posted:

windows 95 didn't come bundled with a video for weezer's buddy holly. it was actually windows xp, but somehow our collective consciousness has transformed it to be windows 95 over the years. another weird case of the mandela effect

More like the reverse Mandela effect

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

polyester concept posted:

windows 95 OCR2 absolutely did. i had the disc

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
say it ain’t so is a solid song and builds up satisfactorily

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Sagebrush posted:

In the USA, ageism is considered illegal discrimination but only if the person being discriminated against is over 40. It is fine to be ageist against young people.

Oregon doesn’t allow it for any age. I know this because once when I was on a phone call with a particularly frustrating client who asked how old I was I went online to check

I wasn’t living in Oregon at the time though so now it’s just a fun fact I know

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

it definitely was in OCR2

https://ia803406.us.archive.org/view_archive.php?archive=/0/items/win95-27722/Win95CD27722.iso&file=FUNSTUFF%2FVIDEOS%2FWEEZER.AVI

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
this thread only contains true facts

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

cabbage, kale, broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, collard greens, daikon, kohlrabi, and gai lan are all the same plant (brassica oleracea). two other closely related brassica species also give us canola, mustard (greens and seeds), turnips, rutabagas, and bok choy.

if aliens came to earth and studied humans, they would probably say that humans' preferred food is brassica because of all the different kinds of it we eat.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

AtomD posted:

this thread only contains true facts

though the question then is whether this is a factoid or not

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
-oid means to resemble something, think of "humanoid" to mean stuff that's shaped like a human.

a factoid is something that seems to resemble fact, but might not be.

it could still be a fact! but it isn't necessarily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Raluek posted:

-oid means to resemble something, think of "humanoid" to mean stuff that's shaped like a human.

a factoid is something that seems to resemble fact, but might not be.

it could still be a fact! but it isn't necessarily.

So it sounds like you’re saying that a factoid doesn’t need to be true, but it should be truthy.