Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Mafia: You Want to be First or You Want to be Last!

I am your mod. Shell is your even cooler mod. We humbly invite you to come play a game of mafia.

This will be an open setup game with roles picked by you, the players! Everyone starts as vanilla. There will be a list of hidden items people can choose during the game, granting them (usually) one shot actions. When there is an execution, then (1) the first person with a current vote on the executed player will get to pick an item, and (2) the player who hammers the executed player will get to pick an item. There may be ways for other players to earn items. Unspoiled audience members may or may not be able to interact with the game. This game probably won’t be balanced but hopefully will be fun.

:siren: Discord Server Here :siren: You need to join the discord server to play.

Signups are open. There will be 13-15 players. I’ll start the game after we have enough players so if more than 15 people sign up before then I will RNG for spots.

Player List:
  1. AnonymousNarcotics (they/them)
  2. b-minus1
  3. Bifauxnen (surprise me)
  4. Cloacamazing! (she/her)
  5. death cob for cutie (he/they)
  6. Green Wing (She/Her)
  7. Illusionis
  8. Maerlyn (she/her)
  9. merk (he/him)
  10. PsychoSoldier
  11. Rhymes With Clue
  12. saladscooper
  13. Tired Moritz
  14. Toalpaz (She/Her & They/Them)
  15. Yata

Start of Days/Nights:
Day 1 /

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

RULES AND OTHER THINGS

Standard Mafia Rules:
  • Try not to edit posts, but if you are doing an edit that doesn’t affect the game but you feel is warranted go for it. If you are trying to cheat at mafia I’d say you are thinking about mafia wrong.
  • Eternal Twilight. When a player is hammered, that player shuts up. If, for some reason, a player looks like they might be killed, people can keep talking until a mod puts a flip up (including the possible dead player). Thread will never close because this is the party that never ends.
  • Don't talk out-of-thread about this game unless you specifically have a role that allows this.
  • Don't copy-paste your role PM or any other mod communication in this thread. Paraphrasing is OK, copy-pasting is not. No PM comparison shenanigans!
  • Twilight posting is OK after the hammer but stop posting when I start posting the votecount/flip to close the day.
  • Don't fake day actions, toxx yourself, play Truth or Dare, or somehow encrypt your posts. (Yes, it may seem like a weird rule, but you'd be surprised how creative people get.)
  • DON'T LURK! Posting is what makes games fun.
  • Don't be a dick!

Potential Alignment Breakdowns:

13 players: 10 town, 3 scum
14 players: 10 town, 3 scum, 1 psychic survivor
15 players: 10 town, 3 scum, 2 survivor teammates

What is a psychic survivor? A normal survivor, but until the start of Day 4 they may designate any other player in the game, and now win if that designated player is alive at the end of the game (regardless of whether the psychic survivor is alive or not). This can’t be reversed, and can’t be undone. Nobody else in the game will be informed of whether there was a designated player until the game is over.

What is a survivor teammate? A pair of survivors who can talk out of thread and whose win condition is that one, and only one, must be alive at the end of the game.

A Brief Description on Regular Items, Overpowered Items and the Magical, Wonderful, Amazing Item Pot:

There are nine Regular Item Types and four Overpowered Items. At the start of the game, one set of the regular item types will be tossed into the Item Pot. Some fun facts about the Item Pot:
  • When there is an execution, then (1) the first person with a current vote on the executed player will get to pick an item, and (2) the player who hammers the executed player will get to pick an item.
  • Items may never be shared or given to another player. Scum can't pass items around. If there are Survivor Teammates they can't pass items around. You, and only you, get to use it, or die with it in clutched in your clammy dead hands.
  • At the start of any day, if there are five or less items in Item Pot, then we will add another full set of Regular Items to the Item Pot.
  • Players receive items from the Item Pot at the START of the night, and can use those items that night.
  • To not slow the game down, players should submit the item number they want to receive BEFORE THE DAY ENDS. You should send an item number every day just in case you have the chance to win. DM it in discord ahead of time or potentially lose out.
  • Players will never be told how many items are currently in the Item Pot.
  • You may choose any number between 1-100. If you send anything other than a positive integer between 1-100 you get nothing! If you choose a number higher than the actual number of items then it just repeats through the list (and if you ask me to explain that any further I may modkill you). I hate that I have to specify things like this but over a decade of WIFOA games has taught me to hate you all when it comes to “submitting numbers” and other simple things.

But what about Overpowered Items, you say?
  • When you send a number (before the day ends remember!), you may also specify to ##include Overpowered Items.
  • If you chose to include Overpowered Items, and you get to pick an item that night, :siren: YOU LOSE YOUR VOTE FOR THE NEXT GAME DAY :siren:. Your loss of a vote will be made public at the start of the respective day.
  • When Overpowered Items are included, one of each existing Overpowered Item is added into the Item Pot.
  • Notice that it says “existing” Overpowered Items. Once an Overpowered Item is picked, it will never be available again. Players will never be told how many Overpowered Items exist or have been given out.
  • That’s it. You just get a random chance to get an Overpowered Item. You lose your vote no matter what you end up with.
  • Maybe you should think hard about including Overpowered Items.
  • All of you are going to include Overpowered Items every drat time aren’t you?

You want more info?
  • The “first” vote will have first pick from the Item Pot each night. The “last” vote will have second pick. Any other potential picks will come after those two.
  • If for some reason you pick the same number as someone else, and you pick after that person, then you just get the next item on the list.
  • Read the item descriptions. Players who are "not town" may get additional bonuses from certain items.
  • Unless an item says otherwise, you can use the item on yourself and, if you get multiple items, you may use them on the same person for multiple nights.
  • The scum kill is normally an action. It is normally performed by a player, targeting another player. It normally precludes a player from performing another action. There may be reasons that something "not normal" happened.
  • More clarifications here

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 17, 2023

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

List of Regular Item Types:
  • Watcher
  • Tracker
  • Jailor
  • Roleblocker
  • Voyeur
  • Detective Park from Memories of Murder
  • Grandicap Memorial Mason Recruiter/Crasher
  • Sleeping in Vienna Memorial Mason Recruiter/Crasher
  • :iiam: Special Mystery Role :iiam:

List of Overpowered Items:
  • Dramatic Bodyguard
  • Toxic Vigilante
  • Faulty Vig A
  • Faulty Vig B

Descriptions of Regular Items:

Tracker: It’s a one shot track action. Ask if you need to. Special Not Town Bonus: If you are not town, then any action you perform while holding this item will be unwatchable and untrackable. This is a persistent ability for as long as you have this item.

Watcher: It’s a one shot watch action. Ask if you need to. Special Not Town Bonus: If you are not town, then any action you perform while holding this item will be unwatchable and untrackable. This is a persistent ability for as long as you have this item.

Jailor: It’s a one shot jail action. A jail action will first roleblock the player, then stop the player from being targeted by any other action (i.e. kills, tracks, watches, etc.). Ask if you need to.

Roleblocker: It’s a one shot roleblock. Ask if you need to. Special Not Town Bonus: If you are not town, then any action you perform while holding this item will not be affected by someone roleblocking you.

Voyeur: It’s a one shot voyeur (you see what other roles, if any, were targeted on a player). Ask if you need to.

Detective Park from Memories of Murder: You have a one-shot Detective Park from the movie Memories of Murder item. This item will tell you if a person is guilty just by looking in their eyes. When you use this item you may target a person and, if you successfully target them, determine if that person is guilty. A player is guilty if they have directly killed, vigged, or hammered another player in the game. This item resolves last, so it will detect anyone who kills someone that same night. Ask if you need to. Special Not Town Bonus: If you are not town, then while holding this item you will never investigate as guilty.

Grandicap Memorial Mason Recruiter/Crasher: This one-shot item will create the Grandicap Memorial Masonry. The first person to use this item will target another player and, if successful, they will create the masonry with those two players. Once the masonry is created, if another player receives this item, they will automatically join the masonry at the start of that night. If someone is already in the masonry and receives this item, they will be able to target another player to add (just like the first player).

Spacing In Vienna Memorial Mason Recruiter/Crasher: This one-shot item will create the Spacing In Vienna Memorial Masonry. The first person to use this item will target another player and, if successful, they will create the masonry with those two players. Once the masonry is created, if another player receives this item, they will automatically join the masonry at the start of that night. If someone is already in the masonry and receives this item, they will be able to target another player to add (just like the first player).

Special Mystery Role: You have to win the item to see the role PM. Any actions by this role (i.e. from the Voyeur) will be labeled as Special Mystery Role.

Descriptions of Overpowered Items:

Dramatic Bodyguard: When you use this one-shot item, you target one person to protect for that night. If someone successfully kills your target, you will die in their place. If multiple kills would successfully kill your target, you will die in place of the first successful kill. Your target will not be told about your action, even after you die, EXCEPT because you are dramatic, the person who was supposed to die will receive a message naming everyone who successfully targeted you and that person, including who it was that tried to kill that person, during that night (unless there is something that would prevent someone from being seen, that is). Special Not Town Bonus: If you are not town, then any kill action (including a vig kill) you perform while holding this item will not be stopped by any roleblock on you or protection on your kill target. This is a persistent ability for as long as you have this item.

Toxic Vigilante: This item provides you with a one shot vigilante action, usable only during the day. However, to use this shot, you must also call the alignment of your target along with your shot in the thread (##kill xxx, xxx is [town/not town]). If you name the wrong alignment, you will die along with the target. If something prevents the vig's shot, it is wasted, but the vig will remain alive. If there are any third party alignments in this game, those alignments will be considered "not town" for purposes of calling your shot.

Faulty Vigilante A/B: This item provides you with a one shot vigilante rifle, usable only in the thread during the day (##kill xxx). However, only one of Faulty Vigilante A or B will have a real bullet (determined at the start of the game). When you fire your shot, you will be told whether it had a real bullet. If you fire the rifle without a real bullet, everyone should laugh at you because you look so stupid.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Vanilla Role PM:

quote:

Alignment: Town

Role: Vanilla

Role Description: You are vanilla. You have no special powers except your vote. You are cooler than everyone else. There may or may not be other roles that can affect your abilities, whether for better or for worse.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 18, 2023

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

hello yes

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven
I'm just going to roleplay that this is a Talladega Nights mafia and not a cheeky mechanic mafia. in.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Ok this looks fun but I'm already in a game and signed up for eccos game but ok fine I can handle it

Illusionis
Dec 12, 2011
Vote early and never move my vote? Yeah I can do that

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I would like to observer and/or be a replacement mod if one of the mods abandons the game

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

This sounds cool, why not

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
i will play probably

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Time to have ourselves a potluck!

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Unspoiled obs because two games at once is hard but I still want to be able to interact with things. Call it a signup if somebody shoots all the non-town in Ecco's game again obvs

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

poo poo I am not actually gonna have time to play in this. Very bummed. Please turn me into an observer ghost person.

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
ok

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Unspoiled observer/replacement pour moi

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I will play in a game I guess.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
Ok I’ll play

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

Sure, I'm in if there's still room :)

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

m-maybe...

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
One of us. One of us.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

we are at 11 actual signups. if/when we get to 13 you all can decide if you want to start then or push on to 14 or 15.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
okay sure, work is boring me anyways

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Okay, I'll play.

Yata
Dec 8, 2022
I want to join too!

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

I said it in discord and I'm a woman of my word... I'll play

PsychoSoldier
Aug 22, 2022

YUH

PsychoSoldier
Aug 22, 2022

Oh, I think I went over. I saw the RNG thing, but I'll go ahead and let everyone else take the spot ^^

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Let PsychoSoldier have my spot, think that's 15? I'd really rather observe this one (sounds fun but I'm already in two other games, another will kill me).

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

PsychoSoldier posted:

Oh, I think I went over. I saw the RNG thing, but I'll go ahead and let everyone else take the spot ^^

No! You're gonna play in this here game and you're gonna like it!

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven
I'm going to back out, you can both play. Unspoiled observer please.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Alright, going to start getting things going soon. It looks like that is 15 with IA dropping out.

Please join the discord if you haven't joined already.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

What is that? No flavor, no themes, no images, no nothing? That’s right! Game on! It is now Day 1

Deadline is tentatively going to be Tuesday evening-ish pacific time, but if you have a preferred time please send it to us in your discord chat. I’ll set a hard time after people have a chance to throw out ideas.

The vanilla PM is posted in the rules. Every townie got the following message to start the game: “You are town. Lucky you! The Vanilla Role PM will be posted in the rules.”

There is an audience for this game. Only unspoiled observers can participate as the audience. The audience will have multiple chances to reward (or punish) players in this game. Nothing that should be gamebreaking. In fact, the first audience participation award is being announced now!

Audience Participation for Day 1: One player picked by the audience will receive a bonus item pick. If the same player is the first vote or hammer they will then get two items to use night 1.

Good luck!

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

##vote merk

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

heheheh first baybee

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I'm town

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

I didn't read the rules right did I? (it's first vote on the executed player, not first vote during the day)

whelp back to researching how to play Fiasco.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Hi town

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I like rules because it encourages scum to case instead of just jumping on wrong town casing.

PsychoSoldier
Aug 22, 2022

Pressure, baby

##vote merk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
What are the ethics of turboing someone so we get items quickly