Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Midnight Voyager posted:

I'm just saying a ref being a bit paranoid makes sense after that scare. Doesn't make it "woke," it's just like someone being too nervous about their kid crossing the street shortly after someone got hurt crossing the street.

Yeah I get it, but this was very much not the case on this particular call, if that's even what Adams was talking about--idk if the time stamp matches up. He could've just spouted that randomly at any point yesterday and been equally coherent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Roughing the passer doesn’t even involve getting hit most of the time. Like the one he’s complaining about didn’t actually involving getting hit but slung to the ground.

It was a bad call and the refs got roster by everyone for it

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
From the perspective of a HS level official, all of the "football is too soft" takes boggle my mind. Enrollment is down, probably because of injury, and the state HS level conversation has been about removing as many hard hits as possible because parents aren't letting their kids play.

Removing hard hits is an existential issue for the sport, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it drastically different 30 years on (7-on-7 passing leagues or similar), if it survives. We've had new recruits in the official's association go off on the chud takes. They got quietly taken aside, and didn't show up for the next week of training.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There is a pretty consistent throughline among right wing thinkers where other people should suffer because it's proper, and anyone who objects is weak, while simultaneously living insulated from the consequences of their desires.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

OwlFancier posted:

There is a pretty consistent throughline among right wing thinkers where other people should suffer because it's proper, and anyone who objects is weak, while simultaneously living insulated from the consequences of their desires.

I think the idea of "luxury beliefs" is pretty intriguing, definitely some flaws in dude's explaining of it but it sure helps explain a lot.

https://robkhenderson.substack.com/...eisure%20Class.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

PharmerBoy posted:

From the perspective of a HS level official, all of the "football is too soft" takes boggle my mind. Enrollment is down, probably because of injury, and the state HS level conversation has been about removing as many hard hits as possible because parents aren't letting their kids play.

Removing hard hits is an existential issue for the sport, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it drastically different 30 years on (7-on-7 passing leagues or similar), if it survives. We've had new recruits in the official's association go off on the chud takes. They got quietly taken aside, and didn't show up for the next week of training.

any opnions from the kids themselves? like it must suck for the nonwhite kids that theyre told that their path to college and a decent lottery payout has an existential crisis. going from npr sports talkers, they even call back to the decline of boxing. and how a lot of people are just head in the sanding when we have some decent solutions. (then again given how Brexit, climate change, and Roni, lol )

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Grem posted:

I think the idea of "luxury beliefs" is pretty intriguing, definitely some flaws in dude's explaining of it but it sure helps explain a lot.

Uhhhh, he's literally saying that left wing ideas are actually a thing that only rich people want because they don't suffer from the problems that left wing politics seeks to address...

which is literally the 100% opposite of what I was saying and also reality.

Dude seems like a colossal idiot.

https://twitter.com/robkhenderson/status/1615066014793826324?cxt=HHwWqIC8yfj-7uksAAAA

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 23:01 on Jan 16, 2023

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Grem posted:

Yeah I had a feeling it was going where it was going, but just closed the tab when he finally got to his thesis: "Defund the police is just virtue signaling by rich libs"

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

OwlFancier posted:

Uhhhh, he's literally saying that left wing ideas are actually a thing that only rich people want because they don't suffer from the problems that left wing politics seeks to address...

https://twitter.com/robkhenderson/status/1615066014793826324?cxt=HHwWqIC8yfj-7uksAAAA

He had better spelling and citations than your uncle on facebook who isn't invited to thanksgiving anymore. I'll give him that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well yeah he's got a pile of qualifications, they generally at least tell you how to write in sentences.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Grem posted:

Yeah, this might be a little more compelling if he wasn't deliberately(?) misrepresenting his only two examples of these "luxury beliefs".

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I'm ot making an endorsement of the dude, sorry if it came across that way. His idea is interesting if you look at it like the normal projection thing that conservatives usually do. Like that financial advisor's post about how you should invest in property and not a car and a guy responded "dude I'm just trying to get to work"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think his "idea" really makes sense at all? His thesis is that people argue those points to appear fashionable and distinct from the crowd, which is a bizzare stance for a guy to take who is presently saying that socially conscious positions make you an NPC and only real people have the balls to be right wing knobheads.

I think people argue those positions because they fit into how they imagine the world to be, not primarily as a mark of status although obviously if they socialize with other right wing people there will be the normal signifiers of group allegiance that you get in literally any social environment, but many of them will continue to argue those positions right up until they either die of them or get arrested for doing a terrorism or sex crime.

I don't think it has anything really to do with a desire for uniqueness but rather that they just actually genuinely imagine that the world works that way and appear unable to be convinced otherwise.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

PhazonLink posted:

any opnions from the kids themselves?
my little brother loved playing football and thought the safety issues were overblown right up until he got three debilitating injuries in a single low-level high school season

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I'd say the real "luxury beliefs" are beliefs like "I should be able to order GrubHub but we should have the cops stationed to ticket delivery bikers". Or "We shouldn't build more housing but I don't want to see any homeless people". Beliefs that demand luxury at the expense of the invisible, totally alienated from material conditions.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

OwlFancier posted:

By this reasoning, Tay passed the Turing test.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

I'd say the real "luxury beliefs" are beliefs like "I should be able to order GrubHub but we should have the cops stationed to ticket delivery bikers". Or "We shouldn't build more housing but I don't want to see any homeless people". Beliefs that demand luxury at the expense of the invisible, totally alienated from material conditions.

Yea this is kind of what I was getting at. People who think "something should be done about the homeless" but that something is making homelessness illegal and absolutely nothing else is a luxury belief. You don't have to deal with the impact of your beliefs, or what happens when they fail. But you look more astute and socially conscious than your friends at brunch, so that's a thing you're gonna say.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

The idea of “luxury beliefs” brings to mind the peace agreement in Colombia a few years back between the government and the FARC that would end decades of conflict. The negotiated deal was really, really good. Incredibly comprehensive, granting reparations for the victims, establishing committees to investigate the government’s war crimes, reforming land ownership, and putting a bunch of systems into place that would prevent the conflict from repeating, among other things. Unfortunately, they ended up putting the decision of accepting the deal to a referendum, where it just barely got rejected. Regions that saw the worst of the violence voted heavily in favor of peace. And the regions that saw very little of the conflict, which are mostly populated by the wealthy who were already insulated from consequences anyway, voted heavily against peace

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

nonathlon posted:

I aggressively curate my Instagram feed, downvoting any intruders. As a consequence it's usually good, but there's constant attempts by the algorithm to push other stuff. Hustle-bros, women giving life advice, thirst traps, travel influencers - it'll keep suggesting them.

And I talk here as if "the algorithm" is sentient and trying to trick me, but that's what it feels like.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Powered Descent posted:

I don't do Instragram, but on Youtube, I'm never logged in to watch videos and I use aggressive automatic cookie clearing, so I get a fresh "profile" every time I go to the site. It's quite nice -- the suggestions on the right are based only on the videos I've watched in this particular session, and so they're usually relevant. I've discovered some interesting stuff that way.

Believe it or not, the almighty "algorithm" actually can work for you... at least, until it gets enough data to work against you.

I'm logged in on YouTube, because I have an extensive watch later list, but my trick is to watch anything I don't care about as a subject in a private window, without being logged in. So miniature painting? Regular window. How to play the One Piece card game? That's not touching my algorithm, private window. My recommendations page is mostly stuff I follow or would be looking for anyway (a video from a playlist I'm watching but don't follow the channel for example)

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

PharmerBoy posted:

Removing hard hits is an existential issue for the sport, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it drastically different 30 years on (7-on-7 passing leagues or similar), if it survives.

At the start of this NFL season I thought the roughing calls were completely absurd. And then it was like a light bulb moment — it really is just that football is a problem. Like, “if they’re going to call roughing on so much they shouldn’t allow hits at all— ohhhhhhh”

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Serperoth posted:

I'm logged in on YouTube, because I have an extensive watch later list, but my trick is to watch anything I don't care about as a subject in a private window, without being logged in. So miniature painting? Regular window. How to play the One Piece card game? That's not touching my algorithm, private window. My recommendations page is mostly stuff I follow or would be looking for anyway (a video from a playlist I'm watching but don't follow the channel for example)

This is also an effective strategy. :hai:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

At the start of this NFL season I thought the roughing calls were completely absurd. And then it was like a light bulb moment — it really is just that football is a problem. Like, “if they’re going to call roughing on so much they shouldn’t allow hits at all— ohhhhhhh”

It can be both. The game is officiated to give extra protection to QBs because they’re the most important players, and roughing calls have gotten absurd to the point that fully legal hits on anyone else draw 15-yard penalties. But the guys taking the most damage to their bodies are overwhelmingly running backs and linemen, where it’s understood as the cost of playing the game and they don’t have special protection.

In theory the game is safer than ever. We just understand the consequences of it MUCH more than we used to.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Henchman of Santa posted:

It can be both. The game is officiated to give extra protection to QBs because they’re the most important players, and roughing calls have gotten absurd to the point that fully legal hits on anyone else draw 15-yard penalties. But the guys taking the most damage to their bodies are overwhelmingly running backs and linemen, where it’s understood as the cost of playing the game and they don’t have special protection.

In theory the game is safer than ever. We just understand the consequences of it MUCH more than we used to.

I mean, part of it is that linemen and backs at least have the time to prepare and protect themselves. A QB is getting slammed wide-open and unprotected much of the time.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Yeh but you get three free concussions before you really have to start worrying

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Also back in ye olden days, the average player wasnt 6'4", 450 lbs and can sprint a 40 ridiculously fast. Just a bunch of drunk guys

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, a QB wears less protection, tends to be smaller, and never starts a play with the expectation of getting hit. I'm not defending the NFL, but QBs only get hit when something went wrong with a play, linesmen and backs are thinking "I'm gonna hit that guy" or "that guy is gonna hit me" at the start of the play.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
QBs are also often times just standing there and not prepared for a hit. But yeah the other guys are also getting hosed up.

I think they’re also calling more unnecessary roughness calls on players hitting receivers this year too. At least I’ve noticed it more. Which is good, cause those guys are also out there getting folded up like lawn chairs.

But basically all of the contact is super dangerous so it’s still a case of them slowly officiating more and more contact out of the game.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I'm only really aware of football injuries when they lead to the player becoming a CTE'd-out murderer, so basically just Aaron Hernandez. (I'm also aware of Philip Adams, but Hernandez obviously got more media attention.)

How common is "that dude got hit so hard his helmet came off"? Because THAT made me :stare: and the idea that someone saw that and went "Now THIS is football" is terrifying.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean getting hit so hard his helmet came off was pretty rare even when hard hits were celebrated. With how hits are now it’s pretty much impossible unless a player fucks up really really badly

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Why we continue to watch football when the far superior sport of racquetball exists is beyond my understanding

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

nonathlon posted:

For about 6 months, Insta kept suggesting pictures of Bjork to me. I have no idea why. I did discover that there is a huge number of accounts that apparently just post and repost pictures of Bjork.

Hey it’s doing that to me right now too. I have no idea why

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean getting hit so hard his helmet came off was pretty rare even when hard hits were celebrated. With how hits are now it’s pretty much impossible unless a player fucks up really really badly

Yeah, I figured the people cheering it on were the usual "small but vocal minority". I was just curious if it was one of those "Eh, it happens like once a season" things, or if everyone else was yelling "Wait, that can HAPPEN?!" like I was.

People getting knocked out of their clothes Looney Toons-style is both terrifying and cartoonish, in a hosed-up way.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I don't watch much football so I thought it was actually a requirement for the QB to just kind of stand there like Brady, until what's his name... Mahomes? was in the Superbowl and I saw him jumping all over the place. More QBs should play like that.

My Spirit Otter posted:

Also back in ye olden days, the average player wasnt 6'4", 450 lbs and can sprint a 40 ridiculously fast. Just a bunch of drunk guys

This is something I'm curious about : When did football players really start to become big beefy bois? I assume the coaches always knew that enormous linemen with oxen strength were an asset, but was there ever a large shift in recruitment, training or diet (or all of the above) that led directly to the NFL of today?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is it really a sport if it doesn't teach you the difference between decorticate and decerebrate posturing?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Mister Speaker posted:

I don't watch much football so I thought it was actually a requirement for the QB to just kind of stand there like Brady, until what's his name... Mahomes? was in the Superbowl and I saw him jumping all over the place. More QBs should play like that.

iirc you lose most of your protection rules once you start running with the ball, so suddenly the fact that you’re smaller and less padded than the defenders is a very immediate problem.

Mahomes is an incredible athlete and also insane.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Mister Speaker posted:

This is something I'm curious about : When did football players really start to become big beefy bois? I assume the coaches always knew that enormous linemen with oxen strength were an asset, but was there ever a large shift in recruitment, training or diet (or all of the above) that led directly to the NFL of today?

roids

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

RyokoTK posted:

iirc you lose most of your protection rules once you start running with the ball, so suddenly the fact that you’re smaller and less padded than the defenders is a very immediate problem.

Mahomes is an incredible athlete and also insane.

"In the pocket" (that is, in the area behind the offensive line) is where rules regarding roughing the passer/kicker and certain types of unnecessary roughness (I think) apply. Brady's always been a very cautious quarterback, even as a rookie, and IIRC rarely even takes a direct snap, let alone goofy QB Scramble bullshit.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

I mean, yeah, sure, exogenous hormone treatment is probably a big factor. So what, mid 1980s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

YouTube almost always recommends me things like rug cleaning videos and Elder Scrolls lore. The only time I started seeing explicitly right wing stuff was when I was on a dashcam kick, weirdly enough. I guess there's a big overlap between people who want to watch bad drivers and people who want an excuse to be angry about things.