Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
they had a harder time of it despite playing the navy card.

dnr means a natural resources officer or park officer. I got a vehicle high ended in a park …

it seemed like such an unusual situation for the judge he was willing to hear me out, maybe for the entertainment value

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
also my fellow sailor was black and I’m white, so we had some musing over that

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

quote:

Ask HN: Why don't schools have a subject devoted to teaching ChatGPT usage?

mystes
May 31, 2006

I can't bring myself to check if that's real or not. I assume it is but I'm going to pretend it's not.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

mystes posted:

I can't bring myself to check if that's real or not. I assume it is but I'm going to pretend it's not.

it's real

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

iso1631 34 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

Worst case scenario the UK was predicting was about 1% deaths. Call it 1.5%, the same as the worldwide impact of Spanish Flu in 1920.
However unlike in 1920 the majority were not economically active.
The world survived Spanish Flu, it could certainly survive rampaging covid.
Assuming Western countries said "right, if you're over 60 you don't get to go to hospital" and let it rip, then a lot of mainly old people would die (and a relatively small number of people of working age). They are the very people that need the most medical care, care we are now struggling to provide.
Whether that's a moral thing to do is obvious, but it's certainly not apocalyptic.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

fritz posted:

iso1631 34 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

Worst case scenario the UK was predicting was about 1% deaths. Call it 1.5%, the same as the worldwide impact of Spanish Flu in 1920.
However unlike in 1920 the majority were not economically active.
The world survived Spanish Flu, it could certainly survive rampaging covid.
Assuming Western countries said "right, if you're over 60 you don't get to go to hospital" and let it rip, then a lot of mainly old people would die (and a relatively small number of people of working age). They are the very people that need the most medical care, care we are now struggling to provide.
Whether that's a moral thing to do is obvious, but it's certainly not apocalyptic.

Of all the recent poo poo posts this triggered me to reply.

Humans will survive almost anything. That doesn't mean it's good. I don't think I've see anyone consider covid an apocalypse. It's just that maybe it's good to limit the damage.

What is it with the HN types who lack any empathy or basic human emotions.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

they have them, but do their best not to engage or show emotions - including empathy - because the star trek narrative of emotion's opposition to what they mistakenly call "logic" has taken hold

emotion = bad and dumb of course didn't originate with star trek, we have centuries of misogyny for that too. but it's funnier to blame spock than aristotle

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

more like airheadstotle

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

emotion = bad and dumb of course didn't originate with star trek, we have centuries of misogyny for that too. but it's funnier to blame spock than aristotle

it's all the better, because star trek goes to great pains to constantly point out that an overreliance on logic is unwise. virtually every time spock rattles off a probability estimate he winds up dead wrong by the end of the adventure

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

yeah, the whole point of spock was to highlight the benefit of emotion

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah. but people suck at taking away the correct lesson. cf heisenberg etc

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

reidjs 30 minutes ago | prev | next [–]

This reminded me of a random story from about 5 or 6 years ago.
At burning man I started talking to this guy who claimed to be an undercover FBI agent. He told me they used mass spec to look for big time meth dealers. They would scrape up some dirt around suspected camps and run it through a mass spec to check for higher than average levels of the drug. Maybe he was just screwing with me, but he seemed sincere.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

fritz posted:

reidjs 30 minutes ago | prev | next [–]

This reminded me of a random story from about 5 or 6 years ago.
At burning man I started talking to this guy who claimed to be an undercover FBI agent. He told me they used mass spec to look for big time meth dealers. They would scrape up some dirt around suspected camps and run it through a mass spec to check for higher than average levels of the drug. Maybe he was just screwing with me, but he seemed sincere.

somehow I’m madder at this guy than any other post for five pages.

this guy seems to believe that there is someone manufacturing and selling methamphetamine at burning man. buddy, 75% of the people who go to burning man have a dextroamphetamine prescription, and none of them take it at the burn because it fucks with their enjoyment of the acid/psilocybin/MDMA that they’re there to take.

and even if there WAS demand for meth at the burn you would have a hard time making a profit since no one is carrying money and your competition is Drugs Georg who is handing out fistfuls of unlabeled pills to anyone who smiles at him

and also the federal agency doing policing at burning man is the Bureau of Land Management.

but yeah sure much more likely that a real undercover FBI agent on some kind of special assignment on loan to the BLM confessed his investigative strategy to you, a random chump.

mystes
May 31, 2006

SolTerrasa posted:

somehow I’m madder at this guy than any other post for five pages.

this guy seems to believe that there is someone manufacturing and selling methamphetamine at burning man. buddy, 75% of the people who go to burning man have a dextroamphetamine prescription, and none of them take it at the burn because it fucks with their enjoyment of the acid/psilocybin/MDMA that they’re there to take.

and even if there WAS demand for meth at the burn you would have a hard time making a profit since no one is carrying money and your competition is Drugs Georg who is handing out fistfuls of unlabeled pills to anyone who smiles at him

and also the federal agency doing policing at burning man is the Bureau of Land Management.

but yeah sure much more likely that a real undercover FBI agent on some kind of special assignment on loan to the BLM confessed his investigative strategy to you, a random chump.
To be fair both the hn poster and the other guy were probably high as gently caress when they had this conversation

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Internet Janitor posted:

it's all the better, because star trek goes to great pains to constantly point out that an overreliance on logic is unwise. virtually every time spock rattles off a probability estimate he winds up dead wrong by the end of the adventure

how do we learn that he’s wrong about the probability? improbable things can occur!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m a little embarrassed about that post, but obviously not enough so

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

how do we learn that he’s wrong about the probability? improbable things can occur!

trap sprung, nate silver

mystes
May 31, 2006

What if 99% of the time he's right and nothing goes wrong so it's just not worthy of an episode?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

god bless you, mystes

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

clearly the intended reading of star trek is that spock's probability estimates are subtle reverse-psychology to direct his friend jim kirk to take the correct path without hurting kirk's self-esteem. as the true alpha of the pack, spock is unbothered by the humans believing he was "wrong"; he only cares about the outcomes in his games of six dimensional chess

kirk appearing to beat spock at chess is a particularly clever lampshading of this subplot

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

where do you buy your weed? i need some of that poo poo.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
burning man

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Internet Janitor posted:

clearly the intended reading of star trek is that spock's probability estimates are subtle reverse-psychology to direct his friend jim kirk to take the correct path without hurting kirk's self-esteem. as the true alpha of the pack, spock is unbothered by the humans believing he was "wrong"; he only cares about the outcomes in his games of six dimensional chess

kirk appearing to beat spock at chess is a particularly clever lampshading of this subplot

Also in the Abrams movies they do just outright state that Vulcans feel emotions pretty intensely and the whole logic thing is to help regulate their emotions. Considering Spock pretty handily beats Khan in a fight without being particularly trained in combat or built like a brick shithouse and Khan himself is able to fight off several Klingons makes me think the Vulcans probably could have conquered the galaxy, they just chose to have healthier social relationships with other planets rather than destroying them in a fit of space road rage.
:eng101:

wode
Dec 8, 2015
spoiler 3 hours ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

These days, witchcraft is just being white.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

wode posted:

concise, punchy, completely insane. strong candidate for a new thread title

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

wode posted:

i was curious about the context and you cut way too much craziness

spoiler 12 hours ago | parent | context | prev | next [–] | on: Conservatives think ChatGPT has gone 'woke'

> We're still seeing results where ChatGPT will offer up jokes about men but any jokes about women are disrespectful.
This is just the world we live in now. I keep saying this, but I think this is unfortunately just shallow hypocrites who for one reason or another flock. The problem ia there's so many of them, and everyone seems blind or okay with it.

This social climate is just so unhealthy. We keep going from one kneejerk reaction to another through history, without learning the lessons of the least one.

In the past calling people heretics was used to "cancel" them.

Then after we moved onto demonising and enslaving black people (I know slavery existed earlier, but it was usually war prisoners that got enslaved and was less racial AFAIK, but I'm not a historian). We told ourselves it's ok because they're different; just to make ourselves feel better.

Later it became witch trials, So, calling someone a witch was used to cancel them (regardless of whether they "practiced" witchcraft). But weird magic-ritual-like religious practices like praying (kinda like magical chanting) and burning weird herb mixtures to fend off the devil (kinda like ritual magic?) were cool. Hell, people even grouped up in magical buildings on magical grounds (like a coven would) for mass (collaborative casting?).

Today it's cool to hate men, especially if they have the audacity to wear white skin. So, apparently misandry and white racism are perfectly fine. If you wanna cancel someone, just misconstruct what they said and call it racist, or mysogynist. Just replace black/white or man/woman and it's okay or outrageous. The parallels and the same level of hypocrisy to witch trials is to me so eerie.

There's not even a defense against this (like there was none in the past), because most people will not even care of it's true or not true (the initial timeline of the Johnny Depp v Amber Heard case highlights this very well; not everyone has Depps resources to fight against the rigged system like that).

Anyway, tldr is: PEOPLE are just horrible. It doesn't matter if black, white, woman, man, or trans. People are just poo poo. The sooner we start drilling this into people, thr the more awareness we will raise about it, and be able to fight against this... Lets call it horribleness bias.

Edit to add: if anyone downvotes, I would really like to know why you disagreed. If you can be bothered, that is. I thinking avoiding discussion around these issues exacerbates the issues, not makes them go away.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
:catstare:

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005

quote:

but I'm not a historian

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Pulcinella posted:

Also in the Abrams movies they do just outright state that Vulcans feel emotions pretty intensely and the whole logic thing is to help regulate their emotions. Considering Spock pretty handily beats Khan in a fight without being particularly trained in combat or built like a brick shithouse and Khan himself is able to fight off several Klingons makes me think the Vulcans probably could have conquered the galaxy, they just chose to have healthier social relationships with other planets rather than destroying them in a fit of space road rage.
:eng101:

Vulcans who don't suppress their emotions are just Romulans

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
and they did carve out a pretty substantial Star Empire until they had to deal with the Borg and then that unfortunate supernova

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

(regarding the guy who sprayed water at a homeless woman)

alexb_ 31 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

At what point does camping outside of your business and preventing people from coming in count as financial violence? If having complaints with the police and city management is as effective as yelling into the sky, how is that a solution?

Put yourself in the shoes of the business owner - what would you have done in this situation?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah, the homeless person is the perpetrator of financial violence. makes sense

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

so as ive learned the term "financial violence" aka "financial abuse" is an aspect of domestic violence in which control of money is used as a means to control and further abuse victims. imo this makes that fuckheads post even more dogshit garbage.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

gross

matti
Mar 31, 2019

Ask HN: How did Sam Altman fail upward so well?
156 points by VirusNewbie 41 minutes ago | hide | 48 comments

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
mikewarot 47 minutes ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: What Happened with the Substation Attack in North ...

I watched the video with great interest, then immediately downloaded a copy from YouTube when I first saw it, because I was sure it wasn't going to be around later in the day to show my friend. I assumed it would get struck by YouTube, but here we are.

This lead me to realize that I'm now habituated to an environment where telling the truth seems like a forbidden act.

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

Mr.Radar posted:

mikewarot 47 minutes ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: What Happened with the Substation Attack in North ...

I watched the video with great interest, then immediately downloaded a copy from YouTube when I first saw it, because I was sure it wasn't going to be around later in the day to show my friend. I assumed it would get struck by YouTube, but here we are.

This lead me to realize that I'm now habituated to an environment where telling the truth seems like a forbidden act.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Can everyone spend the next page posting how much karma they have on hn? I have 3468 points and still can't downvote submissions. What gives?