Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Strong Sauce posted:

CNET, has decided that "AI" (ChatGPT like AI anyways) is good enough to write articles about finance.

Uh, let's see if it pays off for them Cotton.

First off the authorship for an article generated by an AI is, "CNET Money Staff" and they don't tell you its an AI until you click through.

https://futurism.com/the-byte/cnet-publishing-articles-by-ai

Anyone want to guess what I'm about to post?

https://twitter.com/Jon_Christian/status/1615364539083636742
The whole article is here, along with more errors.
https://futurism.com/cnet-ai-errors

Financial news companies have been doing this for years, but mostly just uncomplicated things like changes in guidance or bare bones earnings reports.

Trying to do it on an actual article is pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
There needs to be some form of regulation requiring an article written by AI to have a huge disclaimer on it so I can know to close it right away.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

gpt crap is already so cancerous in goog search results that reddits main inbound is peeps searching for poo poo and adding "reddit" at the end

Man this is so annoying but it's been like this for a while before GPT. If I search for just "xyz" in google the top results are always blogs and websites shilling affiliate links or their own products/services. Only difference is now its GPT writing the articles instead of content mills farming out the work to folks willing to work for a few cents per word.

For me google essentially serves as a search index for a few websites.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Popete posted:

There needs to be some form of regulation requiring an article written by AI to have a huge disclaimer on it so I can know to close it right away.

I'll get an AI to write up that regulation right away.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

ESPN does a lot of AI articles. Usually basic game preview or recap stuff. It’s really easy to tell though because the writing is so basic, and just recaps a lot of stats. It feels so pointless though because the articles are worthless. I’d rather they just didn’t exist.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Oil! posted:

Financial news companies have been doing this for years, but mostly just uncomplicated things like changes in guidance or bare bones earnings reports.

Trying to do it on an actual article is pretty bad.

yes it is mentioned that AP summarizes financial earning reports using machine learning tools (AI). summarizing articles is one thing, having an AI generate an article with no human fact-checking (like they said they would) is another.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

canyoneer posted:

Roll it back a few versions so it matches the right tone

That's HitlerBoof, a massive bank of bored suburbanites who have been cowed into accepting a worldview indistinguishable from that of a young SS officer candidate

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

my chrome extension will use AI to determine if articles were written by AI and label them appropriately is my next startup idea.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Creating an AI alt account for poo poo posting.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Popete posted:

Creating an AI-powered account for the purpose of "poo poo-posting" or posting offensive, irrelevant or malicious content is not a responsible or ethical use of AI technology. It can be harmful to individuals and communities, and it can damage the reputation of the person or organization associated with the account. Moreover, it's considered as a cybercrime in many countries and punishable by law.
As a responsible AI, my purpose is to assist users in finding accurate and useful information, and to promote kindness, empathy and inclusivity. I would strongly advise against creating an AI account for any negative or malicious purposes.
Please let me know if there's anything else I can help you with.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Strong Sauce posted:

my chrome extension will use AI to determine if articles were written by AI and label them appropriately is my next startup idea.

That already exists and doesn't actually work well.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Tomfoolery posted:

I'm waiting until I can have ChatGPT auto-respond to my dad when he sends me dumb political poo poo

I just got a new phone for the first time in over a decade. It is a Google Pixel and it already is 99% of the way there.

It gives you auto-response options after analyzing your messages and now prompts me to respond "Okay, I'll take a look at that later." with one click when I get an image-only message from my Uncle.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
ChatGPT will do very little to threaten actual experts who write things that need to be correct, but it's going to absolutely wreck the 1000 words for a buck content farms in Asia

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ordinary gpt has mostly already wrecked them tbh

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Tomfoolery posted:

I'm waiting until I can have ChatGPT auto-respond to my dad when he sends me dumb political poo poo

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

EricBauman posted:

ChatGPT will do very little to threaten actual experts who write things that need to be correct, but it's going to absolutely wreck the 1000 words for a buck content farms in Asia

You sure do have a lot of confidence in people's ability to find the non-AI generated stuff when Google isn't going to be able to tell the difference, and the first three pages of results are going to be nothing but AI posts.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Ham Equity posted:

You sure do have a lot of confidence in people's ability to find the non-AI generated stuff when Google isn't going to be able to tell the difference, and the first three pages of results are going to be nothing but AI posts.

How does your response have anything to do with his post? :confused:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Sundae posted:

maybe they're an AI!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Sundae posted:

If nobody can get to the actual experts' content, there isn't going to be any demand for it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Popete posted:

Why duplicate your efforts on main?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Ham Equity posted:

If nobody can get to the actual experts' content, there isn't going to be any demand for it.

What paid-for, expert-written content do you propose people are hunting for on Google in the first place?

I'm actually not trying to mock you here; if I need something important and it has to be right, I don't go to a search engine (except to maybe find a link to the real portal where the legitimate information is stored). I go to a B2B License portal, to the vendor dcoument page for manuals, to Elsevier or Pubmed, etc etc. I'm more likely to go look up source documents at the bottom of a wikipedia article than I am to google something important as a source. I don't actually know what important, expert-written, paid-to-generate content would be google-searched in any capacity other than something you know is going to generate a direct link to the actual expert's separate website .

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Popete posted:

There's a dril_gpt2 account on twitter

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Do you mean paid at consumption or paid at production? Because experts who were paid to say whatever dumb bullshit the searcher already believed is the ideal form of content.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

There's a dril_gpt2 account on twitter

We've finally found the perfect use for GPT2. These are extremely good.

https://twitter.com/dril_gpt2/status/1615371634491138048?cxt=HHwWgICx4az8-eosAAAA

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

senrath posted:

That already exists and doesn't actually work well.

uh obviously my startup will make it work very well.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

melon cat fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 10, 2024

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Why duplicate your efforts on main?

The alt account is so I can tweak the formula to then use on main where no one will be able to tell it's an AI.

I'm using your posts as the prompt.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
A fish used a credit card fraudulently
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2023/01/random-pet-fish-reveals-credit-card-details-during-pokemon-violet-livestream

A streamer set up some motion sensing by his fishtank tied to buttons on a game controller, so the fish could play Pokemon.
The fish opened up the Nintendo eShop and spent 500 yen on the streamer's credit card, I assume without permission

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

canyoneer posted:

A fish used a credit card fraudulently
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2023/01/random-pet-fish-reveals-credit-card-details-during-pokemon-violet-livestream

A streamer set up some motion sensing by his fishtank tied to buttons on a game controller, so the fish could play Pokemon.
The fish opened up the Nintendo eShop and spent 500 yen on the streamer's credit card, I assume without permission

Video is a pro click and very cute.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Sundae posted:

What paid-for, expert-written content do you propose people are hunting for on Google in the first place?

I'm actually not trying to mock you here; if I need something important and it has to be right, I don't go to a search engine (except to maybe find a link to the real portal where the legitimate information is stored). I go to a B2B License portal, to the vendor dcoument page for manuals, to Elsevier or Pubmed, etc etc. I'm more likely to go look up source documents at the bottom of a wikipedia article than I am to google something important as a source. I don't actually know what important, expert-written, paid-to-generate content would be google-searched in any capacity other than something you know is going to generate a direct link to the actual expert's separate website .

Honestly thought this was more chatGPT for the first half of then post.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
So it looks like the latest meme target is Bed Bath and Beyond. A company teetering on the verge of filing for bankruptcy and delisting. People are holding their hands out to take the bag.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Popete posted:

The alt account is so I can tweak the formula to then use on main where no one will be able to tell it's an AI.

I'm using your posts as the prompt.

in the immortal words of one O Wilde, imitation with AI chat bots is the sincerest form of flattery

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

TraderStav posted:

Honestly thought this was more chatGPT for the first half of then post.

Joke's on everyone except you. All my posts are AI.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Sundae posted:

Joke's on everyone except you. All my posts are AI.

More like AU :haw:

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Ham Equity posted:

no one searching for something on google is "an actual expert"

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Shipon posted:

no one searching for something on google is "an actual expert"

I see you are not a software developer.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Popete posted:

I see you are not a software developer.

I'd say upgrade that to "I see you do not work with computers".

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

All this AI chat and no one's mentioned that there's someone behind the curtain?

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/11/20691021/google-assistant-ai-training-controversy-human-workers-listening-privacy

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jul/06/artificial-intelligence-ai-humans-bots-tech-companies

https://www.noemamag.com/the-exploited-labor-behind-artificial-intelligence/

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

All AI, except perhaps in cases of like, taking a first pass at analyzing large data sets or something, is a tool for transmuting human labor into a lower-skilled and more easily-exploited tier than the high-tier labor it's ostensibly replacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
We need to bring back bucket shops. I think they'd actually be less destructive than the status quo.