Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011
calling hbag the yospos success story might be a tad premature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Achmed Jones posted:

yup that's definitely what i said. chill out chicken little. go try an interview and see what happens

lmao. kinda difficult with no valid experience. would you accept my resume for an interview? gonna guess the answer is no.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
just say java dev instead of websphere specifically is what achmed was sayin

resumes are marketing documents. they have the same relation w the truth as any other marketing document

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 19, 2023

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

bob dobbs is dead posted:

just say java dev instead of websphere specifically is what achmed was sayin

"what did you work on for the last 9 years?"

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

stop being an annoying little coward and find out.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

carry on then posted:

sounds like a question youd get asked in the interview.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yes. it's nine years of writing software in a major language for money. the "doesn't count because it's on websphere" nonsense is just you being goofy

lol that you think people who work on internal services at faangs don't get senior titles and fat stacks. you have no idea what you're talking about, but you're just so SURE that the deck is stacked against you that you better not even try anything

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

carry on then posted:

"enterprise java dev"

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

post hole digger posted:

calling hbag the yospos success story might be a tad premature.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

carry on then posted:

a variety of web-adjacent java poo poo, sounds like. is that a charitable read of web sphere? hold up, don't care about that question here's the real one: is it a lie you could smile through a few times for a six figure job?

every one of these posts is mopey garbage dwelling on the irrelevant. if the pity party's working for you, don't let me mess up the vibe, but maybe let someone else, possibly a hiring manager or HR person, tell you these things? instead of just jackin it alone thinking of all the bad things some fictional made-up person might say if you went and asked for a job

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
my number one piece of career advice (for everyone) is: do lots of interviews. Do them every 6 months to stay in practice. If you dont actually want the job you're interviewing for that's even better. Because when you see a job you DO want, that is not the interview you want to be your first interview in 8 years.

It will help you get past all the bullshit and the fear and anxiety and all the rest, it'll get you experience on what people will ask and what people will say, and it will even broaden your professional network. Interviewing for jobs you dont want is cool and good and everyone should do it WAY more than they do.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i told a startup I could write bare metal C when my background was 4+ Intel proprietary languages and verilog

forums user 'csammis' from the gray side wanted to do embedded dev. they "hosed around," as you were advised to, and somehow they didn't piss the chance away moaning about how it was a "2nd job." they got one solid project up on github and, THIS MAY BE IMPORTANT, shopped that experience around to a bunch of places until they found one that didn't really mind how fresh they were on the topics and were willing to invest some on that ramp

so, I really truly do not care if you heard one place reject you because they wanted to box someone as "frontend" or "backend." ive seen multiple folks change domains far more drastically than you're whimpering about

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

if you're saying to yourself "oh i dont want to waste their time" gently caress them, waste that hour of their day, they're getting paid for it.

if you're saying to yourself "oh i dont want to waste my time" gently caress that, 12 hours of your time every six months to a year is not that valuable when compared to the career advancement benefits it pays.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i did an interview just for practice a few months ago and it turned out to be like the platonic ideal of what i'm good at and enjoy, but i could only negotiate them as far as what would be a 10% pay cut. big shame in the end

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
harping on the web sphere thing is weird imo. do you think people describe themselves as, like, tomcat devs? you do enterprise Java, there’s lots of enterprise Java in the enterprise, those people make loads of cash. go interview at some lovely startups that you don’t care about as an enterprise Java developer, read ctci or whatever, and see how it goes.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

kitten emergency posted:

harping on the web sphere thing is weird imo. do you think people describe themselves as, like, tomcat devs? you do enterprise Java, there’s lots of enterprise Java in the enterprise, those people make loads of cash. go interview at some lovely startups that you don’t care about as an enterprise Java developer, read ctci or whatever, and see how it goes.

ccccconsider reasonable options????? why, I can simply wallow in this misery and make everyone watch...

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

you really are time machine hbag

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

why what did i do this time

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

you went back to 2004, registered an account as jawnv6, then kept doing your thing for almost 20 years

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011
do you have a script set up that alerts you when someone says hbag or something

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

nudgenudgetilt posted:

you went back to 2004, registered an account as jawnv6, then kept doing your thing for almost 20 years

jesus christ

jawn you gonna just sit there and take this poo poo??

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

post hole digger posted:

do you have a script set up that alerts you when someone says hbag or something

no its called "checking any thread in my bookmarks as soon as theres new posts"

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

nudgenudgetilt posted:

"yes" would have done.

sorry, i was specifically trying to say "gently caress around at work" instead of trying to do it outside of work but I definitely did not make that clear enough

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

kitten emergency posted:

do you think people describe themselves as, like, tomcat devs?

uhhh [raises paw]

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
in six weeks i am going to start a job writing go to run in kubernetes on gcp, despite having literally zero experience with any of those things. i didn't even lie and say i did to get hired. someone's probably going to quote that tech stack and say "condolences" or something but whether they're ultimately right or wrong, their opinion now is far less valuable than me giving it a shot and seeing what happens so i know for myself.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
go is many lovely things but hard to learn it is not

and someone else is prolly gonna janitor k8s so itll be fine

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

rotor posted:

uhhh [raises paw]
I like to piss all over the furniture in the office. Does that make me a tomcat dev?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
any time i've had the misfortune of trying to source-dive golang code it's been kind of a pain in the rear end

like digging through a huge carboard box full of packing peanuts that supposedly contains a non-packing-peanut thing in there somewhere. everything's an indirection to an indirection.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

yeah, I have to regularly source dive terraform providers and that is a special kind of garbage

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

The Fool posted:

yeah, I have to regularly source dive terraform providers

jeez, what sins did you commit in a past life

or your current life i guess

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

made a deal at the crossroads to be able to make 6 figgies with no real skills

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

The Fool posted:

made a deal at the crossroads to be able to make 6 figgies with no real skills

i thought you already touched computers

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Sapozhnik posted:

any time i've had the misfortune of trying to source-dive golang code it's been kind of a pain in the rear end

like digging through a huge carboard box full of packing peanuts that supposedly contains a non-packing-peanut thing in there somewhere. everything's an indirection to an indirection.

people talk about how easy it is to read go but my experience with it has consistently been that that's only true if you're talking about it on the level of how easy it is to understand an individual line of code. it's very reminiscent of bad enterprise java except somehow even more verbose

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

carry on then posted:

lmao. kinda difficult with no valid experience. would you accept my resume for an interview? gonna guess the answer is no.

i've worked in cobol and pl/sql for the last 10 years, it's actually gotten to the point where i'm revisiting stuff i wrote 7 years ago but in a different context

i don't actively have a resume, not from lack of trying though

i'm not going to apply to vuejs/react developer jobs, but i'm also not freaking out about a decade spanning hole in my resume that would fall under the umbrella of "no valid experience"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

i told a startup I could write bare metal C when my background was 4+ Intel proprietary languages and verilog

forums user 'csammis' from the gray side wanted to do embedded dev. they "hosed around," as you were advised to, and somehow they didn't piss the chance away moaning about how it was a "2nd job." they got one solid project up on github and, THIS MAY BE IMPORTANT, shopped that experience around to a bunch of places until they found one that didn't really mind how fresh they were on the topics and were willing to invest some on that ramp

so, I really truly do not care if you heard one place reject you because they wanted to box someone as "frontend" or "backend." ive seen multiple folks change domains far more drastically than you're whimpering about

there’s also comparatively nobody going into embedded dev anymore. it’s kinda depressing actually

but anyway my point here is that if you want to switch, switch into something where demand far outstrips supply.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

raminasi posted:

in six weeks i am going to start a job writing go to run in kubernetes on gcp, despite having literally zero experience with any of those things. i didn't even lie and say i did to get hired. someone's probably going to quote that tech stack and say "condolences" or something but whether they're ultimately right or wrong, their opinion now is far less valuable than me giving it a shot and seeing what happens so i know for myself.

i did this same thing, except i was moderately familiar with go, despite never using it in a job

Plorkyeran posted:

people talk about how easy it is to read go but my experience with it has consistently been that that's only true if you're talking about it on the level of how easy it is to understand an individual line of code. it's very reminiscent of bad enterprise java except somehow even more verbose

meh. when there's a bunch of indirection ("what's on the other side of this channel?") or struct tag reflection magic it can be pretty opaque but like... large volume of code which is, at a line-by-line level easy to understand? that's not too bad imo

hot take: people are bad at reading code. imo having to live in a moderately complex codebase and do a lot of navigation through "find symbol", "find usages", and generally stuff that leans on a language server or IDE to enumerate or navigate "X uses Y" was EXTREMELY HELPFUL to my development as a code fuckler.

"jump to symbol" is literally necessary to do even the most superficial analysis of "who put a value in here?" / "what happens in this function / subroutine?". "jump to usages" is literally necessary to figure out "if i make a change here, when would that changed code run?"

edit: was I a big whiny baby when I got dropped into a huge codebase with almost 0 support from coworkers to figure it out? yes. did I start using IDE navigation to figure it out anyway? yes. did IDE navigation eventually make me more effective at getting around the codebase than people who had been working on it for years longer than me? yes.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
go is pretty easy to comprehend imo. the stuff that’s annoying/hard to figure out (reflection, channels, rpc stuff) is honestly annoying in any language but the verbosity of go usually makes it fairly easy to understand what any given function is actually doing and it’s control flow.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

job interview on Monday

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Captain Foo posted: