Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

SmokaDustbowl posted:

who the gently caress has ever read wheel of time lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGW2JRxWUU&t=20s

g witch was good, glad they're spreading it out instead of rushing it even if it makes the wait harder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Don't underestimate the ability of a bored kid to churn through an enormous amount of fiction.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Jabor posted:

Don't underestimate the ability of a bored kid to churn through an enormous amount of fiction.

yeah, i burned through an insane amount of pulpy science fiction and fantasy in middle school and high school

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
i still can't believe i read so many of the dumb stars war 'young jedi knights' books when i was an idiot child

fortunately i got on the right track when i got to the 'doom' novelizations

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
ugh incredibly cursed image of the author of the doom books

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

infernal machines posted:

huh. so that idiot who took a bite out of a whole onion wasn't lying

if you're at a party there's almost certainly someone there that you can make some sort of drunken bet that they can't eat a raw onion whole. in maybe 15 people i've seen a single woman succeed. it's always a hoot

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

psiox posted:

ugh incredibly cursed image of the author of the doom books

hes a weird mormon right?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Is Brandon Sanderson the only Mormon SFF author that isn't an insane freak

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
hu-mon mor-mons

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

psiox posted:

i still can't believe i read so many of the dumb stars war 'young jedi knights' books when i was an idiot child

fortunately i got on the right track when i got to the 'doom' novelizations

crossposting

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Happened on this collection of Game related texts on the always-reliable Archive.org

https://archive.org/download/RetroGamingBooksFiction

including several DOOM novelizations to entertain while you wait for the next FPS to be released :o: Also a couple of Dark Forces books if you lean that way.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Casual Encountess posted:

hes a weird mormon right?
iirc he's a navy washout/liar and libertarian who went off his nut after 9/11 in the usual right wing way

i will always remember the doom novels as they were derivative trash i read as a young dumb-dumb. before i could get to the better sci-fi they cribbed from. i think everyone has something like this phenomenon, the doom novels were just my version of it

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jan 19, 2023

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

the worst series I read when young were the David Eddings ones. I think I realised they were bad like half way through the second series. I don't think he was a chud though fortunately?

I also remember a proto-YA series about people who could transform into animals that very quickly went off the rails in a way I hadn't seen before, but now is genre defining. No idea what it was called

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

distortion park posted:

I also remember a proto-YA series about people who could transform into animals that very quickly went off the rails in a way I hadn't seen before, but now is genre defining. No idea what it was called

is this a joke how can you forget a name as good as animorphs

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

bump_fn posted:

is this a joke how can you forget a name as good as animorphs

the one I'm thinking of they discovered they could turn into vampires and poo poo a little way into the series. The first book was an innocent tail of being a squirrel and running around the forest. Idk if that's animorphs? I don't remember any aliens

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

also turns out:
* Eddings actually co wrote most of his books with his wife but didn't credit her and,
* more importantly, David Eddings and his wife both managed to get jail sentences in South Dakota in the 60s for child abuse

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

on the topic of bad mormon sci-fi, Orson Scott Card is terrible in every single way

mystes
May 31, 2006

axolotl farmer posted:

on the topic of bad mormon sci-fi, Orson Scott Card is terrible in every single way
You might think this but there are actually many additional ways to write terrible mormon sci-fi as exhibited by Brandon Sanderson

distortion park posted:

also turns out:
* Eddings actually co wrote most of his books with his wife but didn't credit her and,
* more importantly, David Eddings and his wife both managed to get jail sentences in South Dakota in the 60s for child abuse
This makes me retroactively glad I was embarrassed about them almost immediately after reading them in middle school

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I really enjoyed the belgariad when I was a kid :sigh:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
advances in ai have rendered cinema discusso redundant: https://perchance.org/mityi62j92

mystes
May 31, 2006

To be fair then I read a bunch of Mercedes Lackey books which were unquestionably dumber

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

I was gonna rag on michael moorecock for his weird "discovered book his grandfather wrote" which is full of kipling style racism but he also apparently loves to poo poo on the Gor author for being a weirdo about women so who is to say if he's good or bad

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

holy fuckin poo poo

https://www.newspapers.com/image/94018775/

I didn’t make it far past the “caged in the basement for 2 days for refusing to eat his dinner”

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
you're made of stronger stuff than I, I didn't make it past "you need a subscription to view this page"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

I was gonna rag on michael moorecock for his weird "discovered book his grandfather wrote" which is full of kipling style racism but he also apparently loves to poo poo on the Gor author for being a weirdo about women so who is to say if he's good or bad

i remember my reaction to the elric books as a youth was "lol morecock"

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

mystes posted:

To be fair then I read a bunch of Mercedes Lackey books which were unquestionably dumber

same, but even worse than those, my mom would buy boxes of old harlequin & silhouette novels on ebay when i was a preteen/teen and i have read a lot of those. including like all of Nora Roberts' macgregor family series, which is like 40 books or something.

my sister had a bunch of piers anthony/xanth books, and good lord that poo poo was gross.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

haveblue posted:

you're made of stronger stuff than I, I didn't make it past "you need a subscription to view this page"

lmao

I just clicked the reader button

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

rotor posted:

i remember my reaction to the elric books as a youth was "lol morecock"

same. the public library also had all the tintin and asterix books in the same section, so i never read any morecock

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

lmao

I just clicked the reader button

this is the way

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

holy fuckin poo poo

https://www.newspapers.com/image/94018775/

I didn’t make it far past the “caged in the basement for 2 days for refusing to eat his dinner”

oh let me helpfully summarize then. they also regularly beat him with a board on the hands and legs until he was bruised, walked with a limp, and couldn’t put on his boots himself because his fingers couldn’t clench. and there was some sort of safety-pin contraption that wasn’t fully explained but did leave him with puncture wounds. and the basement was apparently kept lightless when they weren’t down there

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Kenny Logins posted:

iirc he's a navy washout/liar and libertarian who went off his nut after 9/11 in the usual right wing way

i will always remember the doom novels as they were derivative trash i read as a young dumb-dumb. before i could get to the better sci-fi they cribbed from. i think everyone has something like this phenomenon, the doom novels were just my version of it

I did a book report on the 2nd one, hell on earth, in 6th grade. Stood up in front of class and summarized the whole thing. It kicked rear end.

Just a lil nostalgic about it. I read the first 2 relatively recently and they are indeed trash level, but hold a special place as my first sci fi

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
just remember, the doomguy's name is not flynn taggart, it is actually john stalvern

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

haveblue posted:

just remember, the doomguy's name is not flynn taggart, it is actually john stalvern

that doesnt sound right

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I did a book report on the 2nd one, hell on earth, in 6th grade. Stood up in front of class and summarized the whole thing. It kicked rear end.

the timing of me reading lotr for the first time was my 6th grade teacher telling me it was the only genre fiction I could use for book reports

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Just a lil nostalgic about it. I read the first 2 relatively recently and they are indeed trash level, but hold a special place as my first sci fi
🫡

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
it's so funny when teachers try to stop kids from reading books they like and instead make it a stupid chore

mine let me do book reports on whatever I wanted cause they didn't want to deal with my mom. owned lol here comes another book set during the Hundred Years War

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

little jones is really good at reading but doesn't really enjoy doing it. this means that i read to him most nights. we're reading mrs frisby and the rats of nimh right now and it owns

ms jones says that he is starting to enjoy reading on his own more, and just doesnt like reading out loud for other people. which means we might switch over to family reading time soon, which also owns in a different way

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i loving loved the rats of nimh when i was a tiny child

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

do kids still read the Martin books? those always made me crave bread and cheese and other delicious food

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

do kids still read the Martin books? those always made me crave bread and cheese and other delicious food

assuming you mean redwall stuff, idk, but im lookin forward to reading these to him as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?