Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

OutofSight posted:

What kind of idiot commander and AI smack their battlecruiser (or whatever class the Spirit of Fire is) point blank into another ship?
Those precursor structures seems hilariously dangerous with no safety rules for space boating.

Spirit of Fire is a colony support vessel refit for combat.

Also, having seen... every Forerunner installation presented in the series so far, why does this surprise you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

OutofSight posted:

Those precursor structures seems hilariously dangerous with no safety rules for space boating.

The Forerunners and the Galactic Empire share a complete disdain for guard rails.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

11 - Beachhead

With Dr. Anders rescued, now we have to stop whatever it is the Covenant are doing.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Hell yeah, not only is the video way more watchable when you go on the offensive, you actually got gold from the mission too. Whatever units you lost during the mission were actually expendable from that pov

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
For being so advanced, the Forerunners really should have put some safeguard in their tech against it just taking like, a handprint or a voice command from a human to activate, like the multiple times in the series the Covenant have made humans activate doomsday weapons under duress.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

TwoPair posted:

For being so advanced, the Forerunners really should have put some safeguard in their tech against it just taking like, a handprint or a voice command from a human to activate, like the multiple times in the series the Covenant have made humans activate doomsday weapons under duress.

As demonstrated by Star Trek as soon as you reach sufficiently advanced technology there's actually no way to secure that technology in any way.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

TwoPair posted:

I think the big problem is that this stuff "wants" to be used. Like, it's really obvious with 343 Guilty Spark in Halo 1 and 3. He never really cared that the humans didn't want to fire the Halos. Having a "Reclaimer" press the button was just a box to be checked so he could light it up. And I mean, yeah, the Forerunners kinda had a blind spot for bad actors.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

12 - Reactor

In classic Halo fashion, we're going to trigger a wildcat destabilization of a reactor in order to blow everything up.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I gotta say, "blow up the sun" is a big step up from the classic "nuke whatever planet/base/etc you're on" Halo ending

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think that's the first RTS level I've seen that brought up gravity as a game mechanic.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
That's as gravity pulls down.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Reminds me of the Stargate episode when they accidentally cause a star to go nova by gating directing through its core.

Not a bad thing. That was a banging episode.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Reminds me of the Stargate episode when they accidentally cause a star to go nova by gating directing through its core.

Not a bad thing. That was a banging episode.

:haw:

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Is that a sex joke? Because I'll have you know, this is a family friendly thread.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

13 - Escape

Time to run away from the massive explosion, but nothing is ever easy.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Even if its not racing over a weirdly bumpy piece of terrain I hope there's an achievement for only using warthogs in this level, for consistency.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Is that a sex joke? Because I'll have you know, this is a family friendly thread.

It's a "hee hee, thingy go boom" joke. I may be childish, but I would never lower myself to such base crudity.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Hey guys, just wanted to give a heads up that it may be a couple weeks until the Halo: Reach stuff starts. It's taking me longer than I expected to get everything organized and going.

But until then, check out these old photos of when Swordfishhh, Cletus, and I went to the Halo: Reach launch event in Toronto! We got to play laser tag, try a demo of the game, and I totally still have the T-shirt and lanyard.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Hey guys, just wanted to give a heads up that it may be a couple weeks until the Halo: Reach stuff starts. It's taking me longer than I expected to get everything organized and going.

But until then, check out these old photos of when Swordfishhh, Cletus, and I went to the Halo: Reach launch event in Toronto! We got to play laser tag, try a demo of the game, and I totally still have the T-shirt and lanyard.

Neat, looks like a fun time.

It's a crazy time of year what with the holidays and everything. Take your time. The thread will still be here.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

My apologies for necro'ing the thread, but I've reached Halo 3 on a rewatch and was suddenly reminded of an old YouTube video that made fun of the hysteria leading up to 3's release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvanJYOGlus

smax
Nov 9, 2009

theenglishman posted:

My apologies for necro'ing the thread, but I've reached Halo 3 on a rewatch and was suddenly reminded of an old YouTube video that made fun of the hysteria leading up to 3's release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvanJYOGlus

God that’s a time capsule from the mid-late 2000’s. Our problems back then seem so quaint now.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Yeah that is definitely a 15 year old video, but it's pretty catchy.

It reminds me that there used to be a Machinima video from Halo 3 where they cut a bunch of dialogue together to make them say stupid poo poo, but the only thing I remember from it is Cortana saying "yank me" in a stupid context and Sgt. Johnson talking about "man rear end". But it looks like the video got purged with everything else Machinima, and none of Swordfishh, Cletus, or I were able to magic it out of the internet. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

Also, still no ETA on Halo: Reach. I've been having a hard time getting the motivation to work on it, and instead working on a different project. Hopefully I'll get back to it soon.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Yeah that is definitely a 15 year old video, but it's pretty catchy.

It reminds me that there used to be a Machinima video from Halo 3 where they cut a bunch of dialogue together to make them say stupid poo poo, but the only thing I remember from it is Cortana saying "yank me" in a stupid context and Sgt. Johnson talking about "man rear end". But it looks like the video got purged with everything else Machinima, and none of Swordfishh, Cletus, or I were able to magic it out of the internet. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

Also, still no ETA on Halo: Reach. I've been having a hard time getting the motivation to work on it, and instead working on a different project. Hopefully I'll get back to it soon.

Sorry, the only Machima video I remember is Deus Ex.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Sorry to hear you had to suffer through existing in Toronto :(

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Hey, so, remember this thread? Remember Halo? Remember Reach?

I do want to apologize for the delay in this Halo project. I really wasn't intending to take that long break, but I started an Ocarina of Time LP thinking that I'd be able to do it as an easy secondary project. Turns out it was more effort than I expected, but then also kind of a nice break from the 2 years of Halo LPs. And then a whole year disappeared.

In any case, I'm planning on getting the LP proper started on Friday, but until then, enjoy some promotional material.

E3 2009 Announce Trailer - This trailer was shown during E3 in 2009 and was the first confirmation of the next Halo game, as well as the reveal of the title.

The Day Before - This trailer is actually a compilation of three different short films, Patrol, Spaceport, and New Life. It shows some examples of normal, everyday life on the planet Reach before the events of the game. Pay special attention to the squad of marines.

Birth of a Spartan - A live-action short film showing part of the journey taken by Carter-A259, leader of Noble Team, to become a Spartan.

Deliver Hope - One of the most memorable Halo trailers. This short film depicts Noble Team fighting the Covenant on the planet Fumirole several months before the events of Halo: Reach. The mission does not go entirely as planned.

FrenzyTheKillbot fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 1, 2023

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Oh yeah, good to see this one back.

This is all new stuff to me, can't wait to see where it goes.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Hell yeah, glad to see this back.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I never got around to playing Reach because I was just getting out of college at the time, but it was an absolute joy to play when the Collection came out. Wish I could have gotten in on the hype back in the day.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

01 - Winter Contingency

Noble Team meets its newest member and investigates some suspected insurrectionist activity.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
One of the two Halos I really enjoyed, not the least because it's the only one in the series where you can, if you so choose, play as a woman.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

It's me, the inverted mouselooker. You will take my inverted mouselook from my cold, dead, carpal tunnel-ridden hand.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Of the Halos I'm familiar with Reach is the only one that managed to get me invested in more than the guns. Master Chief Halos certainly had moments mostly in 2 - give them back the bomb, the arbiter's barely contained seething - but for all that was happening around you it really didn't let any of its characters live in it. I suppose pathos is a bit easier to get into but its not like the other games didn't have opportunities.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

inverted for flight, or not, depending on the game and plane or w/e

one of the reasons that halo reach is the best one is that it allows you to equip all the very silly multiplayer armour and shows it in the cutscenes. noble team misses their old noble six and then up rocks this fucko with spiked furry vambraces and a sword strapped to his back and a hooded plague doctor helmet and says he's the replacement

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Yeah, I learned inverted control for flight games before mouselook was even a thing. Kept it up when it was the default for 20 years.

Now it's become the opposite, but I can't be bothered changing.

Also, what's that lowercase halo in the sky?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Do you want to know what John Halo did after his career in video games? He opened a restaurant.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Yeah, I learned inverted control for flight games before mouselook was even a thing. Kept it up when it was the default for 20 years.

Now it's become the opposite, but I can't be bothered changing.

Also, what's that lowercase halo in the sky?

The rings of Csodaszarvas, one of those moons Frenzy didn't want to try pronouncing. The other one's Turul.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The idea of a prequel game being in a conflict you know you'll lose is a very novel one. I mean, I'm sure they didn't invent that but I can't think of many games, particularly more action-y ones, that are like that. Well aside from there probably being a CoD game out there set in Vietnam...

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Wow instead of it just being you and having only regular military mooks helping you, in this game they give you a whole squad of Halos. What a luxury!

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Cythereal posted:

One of the two Halos I really enjoyed, not the least because it's the only one in the series where you can, if you so choose, play as a woman.

biosterous posted:

one of the reasons that halo reach is the best one is that it allows you to equip all the very silly multiplayer armour and shows it in the cutscenes. noble team misses their old noble six and then up rocks this fucko with spiked furry vambraces and a sword strapped to his back and a hooded plague doctor helmet and says he's the replacement

We talk about this a little bit in the next video, but yeah it's great. If you're going to do stories where the main character is anonymous and mostly silent, might as well let the player get into them a bit more. The Rookie is just some guy, but Noble 6 can be you.

TwoPair posted:

The idea of a prequel game being in a conflict you know you'll lose is a very novel one. I mean, I'm sure they didn't invent that but I can't think of many games, particularly more action-y ones, that are like that. Well aside from there probably being a CoD game out there set in Vietnam...

I think in general it's very hard to do stories where people will be satisfied being on the losing side, especially when they know that going in. Ironically, the best example I can think of is 300 and the story of the Battle of Thermopylae.