Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Sagebrush posted:

Shouldn't it be fine if the first place you went on a clean install was directly to malwarebytes' download page or whatever

Just don't browse until you have some sort of antivirus installed.

there were botnets scanning for the open ports on IP ranges, so an exploitable bug would get found eventually. the idea that your computer would immediately get compromised as soon as you went online is a massive exaggeration, but you should install the service packs and any updates in a timely fashion just to be sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

yummycheese posted:

I’m pretty sure XP SP1 is when a built in firewall came with the OS.

and not enabled by default until SP2.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

yeah, blaster came well after xp was released. pretty sure it was some of the impetus to add a firewall to windows

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sweevo posted:

there were botnets scanning for the open ports on IP ranges, so an exploitable bug would get found eventually. the idea that your computer would immediately get compromised as soon as you went online is a massive exaggeration, but you should install the service packs and any updates in a timely fashion just to be sure

Pretty sure at some point the average time for a fresh install to be infected was 5 minutes. It was ok towards the beginning, but over time it got really bad.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

with W98 there was a lot of reinstalls. you had the Zonealarm installer on a different drive/partition, and installed the OS with the ethernet cable unplugged.

install ZA, then plug in the cable and install updates. so many portscanners and xploits.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

axolotl farmer posted:

with W98 there was a lot of reinstalls. you had the Zonealarm installer on a different drive/partition, and installed the OS with the ethernet cable unplugged.

install ZA, then plug in the cable and install updates. so many portscanners and xploits.

if you were on ethernet at home, you were probably safe. nat was already common place on broadband.

dialup users and universities with wide open networks and enough routable ips for everyone were the real problem spots

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

the downside to being "probably safe on nat" was that for many years, idiots would argue nat was a security feature

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

nudgenudgetilt posted:

if you were on ethernet at home, you were probably safe. nat was already common place on broadband.

dialup users and universities with wide open networks and enough routable ips for everyone were the real problem spots

the early days of cable internet before DOCSIS and any sort of standards or security, and you were essentially on the same ethernet segment as everyone in your neighborhood

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

kitten smoothie posted:

the early days of cable internet before DOCSIS and any sort of standards or security, and you were essentially on the same ethernet segment as everyone in your neighborhood

with docsis you still were technically, it was also kinda-sorta nat. i posted a bit about it before but one of the ways you used to be able to "uncap" a cable modem was by waiting for someone else's modem to initialize and capturing the tftp traffic when their modem would request a configuration

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Volmarias posted:

No, because the system had ports open by default for things that were wormable. Just being connected to the Internet was risky. The updates for 98 would disable their being on by default, but if you didn't have a firewall it was a race against time to pull the necessary updates and then disconnect.

nudgenudgetilt posted:

yep! what was the hot one going around fall 2003?

i got popped on-campus and had to get a sp disc from IT and confirm i flattened and reinstalled offline before they'd enable access again

it was so endemic they weren't even phased

yummycheese posted:

I’m pretty sure XP SP1 is when a built in firewall came with the OS.

which made me remember before that the hot thing to have was ZoneAlarm

didn't someone here work on ZA's ui? it looked pretty sharp at the time in my ME box

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

blaster

i was working university helldesk. such a poo poo show.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Agile Vector posted:

didn't someone here work on ZA's ui? it looked pretty sharp at the time in my ME box

qirex did iirc

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I was 15 when blaster hit our family computer and my father was absolutely sure that I brought it, because the viruses "don't just come from the Internet on their own!". Dumbass

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Agile Vector posted:

I was there 2004-2006, only a few features I worked on shipped which is why I ultimately quit. also the whole zigzag ui they did was hardcoded in a markup language designed from scratch by a guy who was long gone and nobody wanted to spend the time to tear it out and replace it with something non-stupid

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

ZA loving owned. being able to just tell a program "gently caress you, no you can't access the internet" was a game changer.

greg the peanut
Dec 24, 2000

Do Yak Baks count for the purposes of this thread?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

greg the peanut posted:

Do Yak Baks count for the purposes of this thread?

yes

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

cybiko

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Sweevo posted:

ZA loving owned. being able to just tell a program "gently caress you, no you can't access the internet" was a game changer.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I've probably told this story elsewhere, but the version of MSblast I eventually caught was a variant that the common removal tool couldn't grok, so I had to rip it out by hand, I never felt more hacker montage since, it would try it's darnedest to hide and reinstall itself as you removed it!

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I've probably told this story elsewhere, but the version of MSblast I eventually caught was a variant that the common removal tool couldn't grok, so I had to rip it out by hand, I never felt more hacker montage since, it would try it's darnedest to hide and reinstall itself as you removed it!

did you have to get someone else to come in and type on the same keyboard for maximum hacking?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

when i was in high-school over the xmas break one year they decided to upgrade all the PCs in the school to windows XP. however they didnt bother to install any service packs before hooking them up to the internet so about a week before school started they allll got infected with viruses and poo poo. apparently the sole sysadmin had to spend that whole weekend working flat-out to re-image and patch alllll the machines before school started. good times.

also i had a minidisc player in highschool it was dope. well at least until i got an ipod mini

edit: oh yeah around the same time i downloaded windows XP SP1 over dial-up. i kicked off the download before i left for school at around 8AM and when i got home at 3:30PM it was just finishing. not long after we upgraded to 512Kb ADSL which blew my fuckin mind

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I'm pretty sure we had like 10 people sharing one 8mb cable line at some point and it was still mind blowing..torrenting Linux isos at 200kb/s!

I was stuck on 7mbps DSL until 2019 and then only got a better connection because I literally moved house.

a mere 80mbps now

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
My current ISP offers 10Gb symmetric for €30/month but you have to use their equipment and 1Gb for €20 is already more than we'll need for the foreseeable future. But still I really want to do it because 10Gb holy poo poo!!!!

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Pile Of Garbage posted:

when i was in high-school over the xmas break one year they decided to upgrade all the PCs in the school to windows XP. however they didnt bother to install any service packs before hooking them up to the internet so about a week before school started they allll got infected with viruses and poo poo. apparently the sole sysadmin had to spend that whole weekend working flat-out to re-image and patch alllll the machines before school started. good times.

also i had a minidisc player in highschool it was dope. well at least until i got an ipod mini

edit: oh yeah around the same time i downloaded windows XP SP1 over dial-up. i kicked off the download before i left for school at around 8AM and when i got home at 3:30PM it was just finishing. not long after we upgraded to 512Kb ADSL which blew my fuckin mind

my senior year of high school was when nimda hit. they pulled a few tech savvy high school students out of class for several days and had us driving around the district patching classroom machines.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

other people posted:

My current ISP offers 10Gb symmetric for €30/month but you have to use their equipment and 1Gb for €20 is already more than we'll need for the foreseeable future. But still I really want to do it because 10Gb holy poo poo!!!!

prices here aren't that good, 200m symmetric for like $80/month. think it's only like another $20/mo to jump to 1gb but it just seems silly at that point. if i had other people living with me or was regularly clogging my pipe i'd totally go for it but as it is i still kinda marvel at having a faster internet connection than "fast ethernet"

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

lmao 1Gb 10Gb you lucky motherfuckers. im paying AU$60/month for FTTB delivered as VDSL2 and capped at 100/40. pretty much the best possible service i can get here. tbh it's actually been rock-solid, ZERO service disruptions or performance degradation in the ~6 years ive had it. also i was able to ditch the Huawei modem they gave me for a Cisco ISR 897VA, thankfully they publish all their service config details like data VLAN and poo poo so config was easy.

honestly thinking on it im prolly in a real good situation internet-wise compared to most aussies. so many horror stories of people on FTTN suffering with sub-ADSL1 speeds.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

350/350 is $30/mo lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i pay $7/mo for gigabit fiber

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

nz has inexpensive common carrier ftth but it's kinda pointless to get more than a 100mbit plan because latency is usually the bottleneck anyway

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

just think how fast you can trade bits with your local bit broker though

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/NouveauDeco/status/1616424616679059456

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

fiber to the butt?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Carthag Tuek posted:

i pay $7/mo for gigabit fiber

I had Gigabit fiber at our last house, but our current one can only get DSL and Cable :smith:

I miss my 900mb synchronous connection..

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

DELETE CASCADE posted:

fiber to the butt

way ahead of you

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

rotor posted:

way ahead of you

looks more like your behind

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

rotor posted:

way ahead of you

lol

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

we had an airbnb for a few days with a more modern inside-out toaster like this. other than seeming very dangerous it didn't seem to work any better than a normal toaster. sad

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

other people posted:

we had an airbnb for a few days with a more modern inside-out toaster like this. other than seeming very dangerous it didn't seem to work any better than a normal toaster. sad

i had one of these but got rid of it, black and decker “arize” toaster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJzxWuzAZyo

if the bred is a little bit droopy or likely to fall over at all, the guard holing the toast vertical is simply inadequate -just the two wires you can see in that video preview. if it falls over or bends a little bit because it isn’t already toast, the motor just keeps going and crams the bred into the heating element and sets your house on fire. no flames in the video but you can see the issue.

amazon reviews are full of people making the obvious pun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Progressive JPEG posted:

nz has inexpensive common carrier ftth but it's kinda pointless to get more than a 100mbit plan because latency is usually the bottleneck anyway

Blizzard's Starcraft "Oceania" region servers being in LA :nz: :australia: