Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Regrettable posted:

P sure he's just saying that the AI has been so bad for several years that it's shocking that they now react like AI in any other shooter due to a game/server update.

Its literally this folks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
The river odai in morrowind is prettier

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
There is an consideration that when a server has low fps for server, somehow, AI is impacted. This is the difference between a bartender working, or not working. Or it apparently could also mean an ai shooting you and just standing there waiting to be killed and non-responsive.

It's yet another of a myriad of ways that prevent cig from taking any blame.

If you game is bad, it must have been on a full server with low fps (whatever that is supposed to imply).

It's technology's fault for failing Chris Roberts and not keeping up with his needs.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Phil Moscowitz posted:

All our friends are just off screen, playing it too

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I don't think the AI is even reacting to being shot. It looks like it goes "attack player", moves to position, waits a given delay before it starts shooting to emulate a reasonable reaction time, and then shoots. There isn't anything wi with this, but it's like the most basic behavior any fps game will start from.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Elukka posted:

I don't think the AI is even reacting to being shot. It looks like it goes "attack player", moves to position, waits a given delay before it starts shooting to emulate a reasonable reaction time, and then shoots. There isn't anything wi with this, but it's like the most basic behavior any fps game will start from.

sounds like tier 0, and an improvement over "AI stands there being shot"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Okay these people literally have not played a video game have they

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
Next they'll add fish you can "catch" and "cook" for "nourishment."

Fishing gear for $35, several different kits, all separate.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Plan R posted:

Next they'll add fish you can "catch" and "cook" for "nourishment."

Fishing gear for $35, several different kits, all separate.

Fishing gear you can buy: Yes yes yes!!!

The code for actually fishing: Not this decade, space friend. But still buy the gear in preparation because it will only get more valuable with time!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Have you considered how good this game would be if it was really really good? Like really good? No, better than what you are thinking right now. That good!

That would be so amazing. (Sighs happily)

Bushboy2000
Jul 19, 2022

sebmojo posted:

Have you considered how good this game would be if it was really really good? Like really good? No, better than what you are thinking right now. That good!

Yeah thar worldwide server meshing, with everyone having tne same ping, that alone would be amazing. Wonderbar

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

sebmojo posted:

NTAR CITIZEN

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Regrettable posted:

I think he means the tick rate of the servers are 30Hz, which means they update 30 times per second. He probably conflates the two because 30fps means you are rendering at 30Hz. 30Hz tick rate is average for an FPS game but some of them will use 60Hz tick rates. Also, I would not be surprised if Star Citizen ran tons of stuff server side that any reasonable developer would run client side like possibly AI duders.

Ai enemy behaviors should probably be server side in a mmo so you can have a coherent multiplayer fight.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Tunicate posted:

Ai enemy behaviors should probably be server side in a mmo so you can have a coherent multiplayer fight.

Yeah but how likely is that to happen

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Tunicate posted:

What cig sold to people was thousands of players playing twitch style shooters where people can play cod while also shooting at DCS-quality ships with intense flight dynamics where every shot is physically calculated on what it hits and how it travels through the body of a ship hitting different systems.

After over a decade they still aren't even up to a fortnight match in scale and quality, and ships have "model viewer" level physics. Early days though. Any day those pipelines will kick into overdrive.

Any day.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

This could be a screenshot in ARMA 3.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
I love how the guy holding the phone/tablet is looking just past its lower left corner (his POV) towards, I have to assume, a pile of dog turd gorgeous vista of procedurally rendered animal spoor.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Doctor Butts posted:

This could be a screenshot in ARMA 3.

But with not even 1/10000th of the functionality that ARMA brings with those looks.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

It is really funny (and extremely sad) how a huge part of the "gameplay" promised and these people are salivating over is just doing extremely mundane poo poo.

Taking a selfie with some friends by a river is exciting to these people.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Geisladisk posted:

It is really funny (and extremely sad) how a huge part of the "gameplay" promised and these people are salivating over is just doing extremely mundane poo poo.

Except you can't do it, or even that pose, at all. It's all made in a modeler and then rendered into (maybe) a screenshot from the game as the background image.

You can take screenshots though. That's kind of the best part of the game. It looks best in static, non-moving screenshots.

Once it starts to move it breaks the illusion of quality super fast.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I like how insistence cig seem to be at working on anything on starcitizen other than what would make the game engine work properly, or the game enjoyable to play.

Like there seems to be some actually effort put into some stuff, but always like just really, really dumb meaningless bs stuff.
Oh and making poo poo to sell to the rich idiots who keep on tossing them coin.

I like how the people playing it, actually seem to be defending CIG going off and making a single player game on a MMO engine that isn't even close to finished yet. It's just such an obviously hilariously stupid move, but it just seems to get praise.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

If they admit to themselves that things look bad and the game is a scam then that would mean that they got scammed, which is impossible. These are Smart, Rational Men, not stupid idiots! And because they're Smart and Rational they would never fall for a scam, thus Star citizen is real, and strong, and their friend.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

dr_rat posted:

I like how insistence cig seem to be at working on anything on starcitizen other than what would make the game engine work properly, or the game enjoyable to play.

Like there seems to be some actually effort put into some stuff, but always like just really, really dumb meaningless bs stuff.
Oh and making poo poo to sell to the rich idiots who keep on tossing them coin.

I like how the people playing it, actually seem to be defending CIG going off and making a single player game on a MMO engine that isn't even close to finished yet. It's just such an obviously hilariously stupid move, but it just seems to get praise.

I'm still partially convinced that this entire crusade by CIG is a massive social experiment, to see exactly how little can be promised and then not even attempted, to people and have them still part with their hard earned money in droves

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Blue On Blue posted:

I'm still partially convinced that this entire crusade by CIG is a massive social experiment, to see exactly how little can be promised and then not even attempted, to people and have them still part with their hard earned money in droves

No, what you describe is just capitalism having a normal one.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Geisladisk posted:

Perhaps, deep down, they are excited about the idea of having friends. :unsmith:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Speed Limit posted:

Why do ships have a sublight speed limit? Such as the 600i can only go around 953ms but the Carrack can reach just under 1200ms. If you need to limit yourself you can always scroll down on your mouse. But in space why not just let it fly as fast as time will allow you? Be nice for targets that have no QT ability.

*it's just a question
*I'm not asking cig to change anything

quote:

safe operating speed. IFCS does not allow you to accelerate further than you can safely travel without your ship flying apart and/or turning your self into goo. You can argue that should should be able to override IFCS and allow you to fly your ship apart and turn yourself into goo, then the answer is "because videogame"

quote:

As a meta, it's a game. As in game, energy isn't infinite. To move 1kg at 1m/s is X energy (I used to know, but my brain is fuzzy today). To move that same 1kg at 2m/s is twice the energy, so 2X, as you would expect. But next, moving 1kg at 3m/s is 4X, then moving 1kg at 4m/s is 8X. The cost of energy is exponential and there isn't enough energy to push a ship faster. This is why we don't have light speed ships today.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Ah yes, space. Where you famously need to expend *exponentially* more energy if you want to continue to accelerate.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Well there is the opposite force of concern trolling

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Regrettable posted:

I think he means the tick rate of the servers are 30Hz, which means they update 30 times per second. He probably conflates the two because 30fps means you are rendering at 30Hz. 30Hz tick rate is average for an FPS game but some of them will use 60Hz tick rates. Also, I would not be surprised if Star Citizen ran tons of stuff server side that any reasonable developer would run client side like possibly AI duders.

Last I checked, competitive shooters are using 120hz tick rate

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Vic posted:

Well there is the opposite force of concern trolling

Apathy effortposting?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Steadiman posted:

I've always said booleans need a "maybe" output, this will unlock the true potential of AI

we need Magic 8 Bits that can have states like "yes", "no", "signs point to yes" and "reply hazy try again"

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Flowers for QAnon posted:

AFAIK only Valorant goes that high with 128Hz servers but there are third party CS:GO servers that will do 128Hz. Most use anywhere from 30-60ish. Hell, Apex Legends uses 20Hz servers.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Battlefield 4 was 120hz on 48 player servers, even 144hz for 20 players, nearly a decade ago.

Or in Star Citizens terms, "before development actually started" :v:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Biplane posted:

If they admit to themselves that things look bad and the game is a scam then that would mean that they got scammed, which is impossible. These are Smart, Rational Men, not stupid idiots! And because they're Smart and Rational they would never fall for a scam, thus Star citizen is real, and strong, and their friend.

This worked super well when it was established during the us vs them war where the strong believers had to believe strongly enough to prove Derek smart and goons wrong.

Over a decade later, Derek has given up and only a few goons care... but so far what was never going to happen still hasn't happened. Cig only moved the goalposts or made something completely different and created the "tier 0" concept to let people accept the total reality distortion and failure to deliver.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Some exciting hi lights that were promised, sold to people, but will never happen:

* A full on command and conquer game played with real players where the elite rich can direct them from the bridge of their space ships, called command and control
* A flocking procedural fauna with hunting and skinning and trapping and selling these unique items in your player business location you built in a player city on some random planet
* A moddable hosted multiplayer game where you can run your own server for buddies
* No subscriptions
* Not pay to win
* 50-mission Sq404
* Sq404 mission disk "behind enemy lines", whatever this means
* cock decorations
* Modding tools
* 70 star systems
* tablet companion app to do inventory, etc, while playing the game on your bigger pc
* Bengal carrier is fully operational and can be owned and flown by players in star citizen
* Oculous rift support
* Land on real Earth cities
* public space transportation (space liners between planets, etc, players can ride)
* super complicated repair system and the crucible
* pets (not just the fish)
* and of course, actually being an mmo where you have a point to "own" a fleet of ships and can get into fleet fights with other players

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

The Titanic posted:

Some exciting hi lights that were promised, sold to people, but will never happen:

* A full on command and conquer game played with real players where the elite rich can direct them from the bridge of their space ships, called command and control
* A flocking procedural fauna with hunting and skinning and trapping and selling these unique items in your player business location you built in a player city on some random planet
* A moddable hosted multiplayer game where you can run your own server for buddies
* No subscriptions
* Not pay to win
* 50-mission Sq404
* cock decorations
* Modding tools
* 70 star systems
* tablet companion app to do inventory, etc, while playing the game on your bigger pc
* Bengal carrier is fully operational and can be owned and flown by players in star citizen
* Oculous rift support
* public space transportation (space liners between planets, etc, players can ride)
* and of course, actually being an mmo where you have a point to "own" a fleet of ships and can get into fleet fights with other players

According to monocle cat all of this "will" happen, which is just as good as happening right now.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

The Titanic posted:

* No subscriptions
* Not pay to win
* 50-mission Sq404
* cock decorations
* Modding tools
* 70 star systems
* Oculous rift support

Behind enemy lines is Chris harkening back to his only success, when his wing commander games would have 'mission disks' and poo poo as their way of doing expansions to the game but with a tongue in cheek 'lore' reason

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
And outside of the procedural birds and player city... all that nonsense was just Kickstarter promises cig claimed they could do with a mere fraction of how much money they have now.

It got more crazy with more time and every episode of 10 for the chairman where Chris just pissed promises he had no way of upholding to people with wide open mouths.

The fun part of all of this stuff is new backers want to forget this stuff, and if old backers complain about these goals or ask about them, they are detractors and shut down.

The joy of star citizen is pretending a year ago was day 0 of the project and counting from there. This works good for new money because they bought in due to the new promises and want cig to focus on the stuff they want instead of old things before them.

It's a great cycle that keeps new money rolling in, and old people exiting by force from the community itself once they start to ask "hey, wait.. what about <my promise I bought in for>???"

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

The Titanic posted:

And outside of the procedural birds and player city... all that nonsense was just Kickstarter promises cig claimed they could do with a mere fraction of how much money they have now.

It got more crazy with more time and every episode of 10 for the chairman where Chris just pissed promises he had no way of upholding to people with wide open mouths.

The fun part of all of this stuff is new backers want to forget this stuff, and if old backers complain about these goals or ask about them, they are detractors and shut down.

The joy of star citizen is pretending a year ago was day 0 of the project and counting from there. This works good for new money because they bought in due to the new promises and want cig to focus on the stuff they want instead of old things before them.

It's a great cycle that keeps new money rolling in, and old people exiting by force from the community itself once they start to ask "hey, wait.. what about <my promise I bought in for>???"

helmet

helmet

HELMET!

this will take everyone back, the nostalgia and incompetence on display

Chris huming and hawing and making strangled noises when poo poo doesn't work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqFCAAipwcg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

4th Stimpire Queen posted:

Ok, can anyone tech savvy explain this one to me please?

The solutions:

Befuddled I looked it up and lo and behold, even CIG has this in their official FAQ. :aloom: