Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

i hope they include this in an apple music subscription instead of making it cost more. idgaf how many apps it is so long as i dont have to pay extra for it
there will probably be a separate subscription for it because primephonic paid per second as opposed to per stream, and classical music has the dual problem of being very expensive to do and having a small and dwindling, but quite rich, audience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Beeftweeter posted:

lol apple weather loving sucks

it’s so bad. they killed dark sky for this and I will never forgive them

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

There's a free app called Concertino which is an interface for Apple Music but just classical stuff which is p. dece

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

speaking of stove chat, this aired last night apparently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgnIR18Te5Y

also lol @ all the fox news clips

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Matinee posted:

There's a free app called Concertino which is an interface for Apple Music but just classical stuff which is p. dece

oh wow yeah that's a really impressive app, especially given they're using a combination of the apple music APIs + an open source database on concerts.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Matinee posted:

wow this is cool. doesnt solve the problem of limited catalog, but a great project

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

speaking of stove chat, this aired last night apparently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgnIR18Te5Y

also lol @ all the fox news clips

this has been all over the news and i am not sure what to go with

also yeah, apple weather loving SUCKS now - lots of people online complaining about it. it is SO BAD at predicting precipitation. thankfully this year isn't so bad but gently caress man, last year when we had record snowfalls we would have been hosed. i have to know how much will fall so i can plan shovel schedules or i can get buried.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

none of the more notable things about the gas stove furor have nothing to do with gas stoves, rather it is just the usual theater of any subject collapsing into a is-thing-good-or-bad and scrambling into camps about it. with the camps ideally aligning with existing camps to make it digestible by the viewers.

the actual content amounts to "gas stoves turn out to be a bit worse for indoor air quality (and thus your health) than expected", with likely conclusions being that ventilation standards for new construction should be revised accordingly (e: with extra focus on people who may be impacted in their jobs)

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jan 20, 2023

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

hard mode question: what’s better, a gas stove displaying only celsius degrees, or an electric stove displaying only fahrenheit?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it reminds me of the end of incandescent bulbs where they started promoting CFLs even though they were complete dog poo poo and worse in every possible way.

you can crow about inductive stove tops all you want, but until they massively come down in price they're not really an alternative. in a world where gas stovetops are banned, resistive stovetops will be the norm (for now) and that absolutely is worse for cooking.

the good news is the higher cost of inductive stovetops is almost certainly price gouging and theres probably room for adjustment there

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I have a standalone induction plate I bought for £40 which is better than any gas or electric hob I’ve ever used

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The price difference is pretty minor for gas vs induction - e.g. it's about one step on Bosch's SKU tier ladder

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

In norway the pricing is completely inverted, with induction cooktops selling for $200+ while gas cooktops are all $1000+ to gouge rich idiot snobs

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

r u ready to WALK posted:

In norway the pricing is completely inverted, with induction cooktops selling for $200+ while gas cooktops are all $1000+ to gouge rich idiot snobs

same here, except ive never even seen a gas stove sold here

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

apple should start making kitchen equipment. it's high touch, personal, and people care a lot about the UX

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

i gave my wife huge stinkeye when we bought our stove cause she wasn't comfortable about baking with gas so having dual options (gas top - electric oven) added 2.5 thousand loving dollars or so

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

distortion park posted:

apple should start making kitchen equipment. it's high touch, personal, and people care a lot about the UX

charge your phone and fry an egg with MagSafe Max

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

distortion park posted:

multi touch stove burners

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

distortion park posted:

they already made the airpower which by all reports was an excellent inductive heater, but decided not to ship it.

much like how they were first with foldable phones but decided they hadn't gotten it quite right.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i honestly believe apple should buy millerknoll and make office furniture and am prepared to fight about it

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

much like how they were first with foldable phones but decided they were a dumb gimmick

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

they already made the airpower which by all reports was an excellent inductive heater, but decided not to ship it.

much like how they were first with foldable phones but decided they hadn't gotten it quite right.

Look I know iPhones 6 bended easily but it's some serious fanboy poo poo to call that "the first foldable phone".

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

I have had induction stoves in a few apartments and they’ve all been pretty good

i like the fancy ones that are just a massive square without distinctive positions you can sorta place your pots anywhere on and they automatically detect size and position of the pot/pan/whatever

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

I have had induction stoves in a few apartments and they’ve all been pretty good

i like the fancy ones that are just a massive square without distinctive positions you can sorta place your pots anywhere on and they automatically detect size and position of the pot/pan/whatever

see i wanna try this poo poo but the part that scares me is i uh. dont do well with glass cooktops for reasons previously stated.

im hoping over the next years i can take a serious poke at one and see if it works for me.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah my problem with induction cooktops isnt the induction, it's the cooktop

i'm slinging cast iron pans and big pots full of marinara here, i will crack that thing

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i do so much pan jiggling i had to safety wire a couple of the burner grates on

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

agreed. cooking is a violent act and i need a cooktop that can take the expected abuse

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

the paper cup design isn't real

I can’t believe you’d post this

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i use cast iron on a piece of poo poo glasstop electric stove every day and its fine.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

like i really take that concept of worst case scenario process design to heart.

it started with bikes. i was couriering at the time and just getting absolutely turbofucked by weather. so i started building out a kit that was weatherproof based on worst scenario experience (getting a flat riding home from work in a snowstorm) and working out from there. waterproof lights, speaker, bag, and everything either is on a carabiner for easy attach points or i slap it on anwyays with bungee cords. once i figured that out i started solving for the bike. i had been favoring fixed gears and skinny road bikes for MAX SPEED around town but having to do lots of repairs and tuning to keep up with it. i realized that i wanted a bike i could be drunk and high in the woods and be fine on, but still be able to zip around town so i started riding cyclocross frames and now i'm on gravel bikes because i can monster truck over both potholes and lovely terrain fire roads and if i drunk hit a curb it doesn't instantly explode a $900 wheel.

i just kind of came to a realization that while i am very caring of my items, my general lifestyle is pretty rough and tumble on poo poo, and instead of loving the same poo poo up over and over again, i figured out ways t o design my environment and tools to take poo poo out of the equation so i can go be chaotic shitstorm and get out fine. but for the better part of the last decade i've been on a bike 14 hours a day for vast stretches of the year and there's only so much you can do to protect and waterproof items when you're outdoors like that. like four out of the five times ive been hit by cars, neither my phone or my laptop broke (but many other parts of my body did!) so like. i have to kind of balance babying poo poo with "ride 40 miles in a torrential downpour" and once i started viewing things in that way its made my life so much easier.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah my problem with induction cooktops isnt the induction, it's the cooktop

i'm slinging cast iron pans and big pots full of marinara here, i will crack that thing

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

post hole digger posted:

i use cast iron on a piece of poo poo glasstop electric stove every day and its fine.

yeah same. its a piece of poo poo stove but the glass top has survived for over a decade now

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the worst stoves are the ones with glass on top of coils

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

the second worst is mine which had the amazing safety feature of automatic shut off when it reaches a certain temperature and until it cools down again, such that you can’t boil or steam anything

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

the third worst is anything with capacitive buttons and a flush mounted control panel

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

the fourth worst is when jt has multiple burners per burner and the dials are like setting 1-3 is for the inner ring, 4-6 is the middle, 7-9 is the outer, 10-11 is the middle and inner, 12-13 is inner and outer, etc

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Casual Encountess posted:

four out of the five times ive been hit by cars, neither my phone or my laptop broke (but many other parts of my body did!)

your life sounded compelling until this part

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

post hole digger posted:

this is the way

weirdly enough they designed stove tops with cooking in mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

echinopsis posted:

weirdly enough they designed stove tops with cooking in mind

lol