Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

tuyop posted:

I wasn’t doing that intentionally, I don’t know what scl or sda are and I don’t know if there are specific pins for them 😳😳

SCL and SDA (and power and ground) make up the I²C bus. Most microcontrollers, including, apparently, this one, have built-in I²C support in some way. You can use this microcontroller support to more easily and efficiently communicate with I²C components than writing your own loops to "bit-bang" output on GPIO pins.

You're almost surely going to want to use the built-in I²C support of your microcontroller. It appears from the image you pasted that it has a pantload of pins for this, and they are, confusingly, only labeled "I2C0" and "I2C1", which to me reads like there are only two possibilities. There may be some sort of thing you need to do in order to tell the chip which of the, like, 13 (!) possible pairs of pins you want to actually enable for I²C control.

Have I mentioned the Arduino thread? It's just teeming with nerds who know a whole lot more about this stuff than the Linux system administrators in this one :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Thanks everyone, I’ll cross post this over there :)

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Vaporware posted:

I set up

https://birdnetpi.com/

over the holidays and it's a lot of fun. I'm running on a zero 2W and it's pokey but I dont want to sacrifice my only 4b to it yet.

Install instructions are complete if a bit hard to follow. you have to branch depending on hardware. They're willing to debug Pi alternatives too if you've got another board lying around.

I've even learned a bit more about stuff I should know like switching power supply noise and mic preamps. It was a huge headache trying to jump straight into this stuff thinking I knew it. It's the old adage that teaching someone completely fresh is easier.

https://github.com/mcguirepr89/BirdNET-Pi/discussions/39#discussioncomment-4634956

What microphone setup are you using for this?

I have some directional mini cardioid mics and a 9v power supply that I used to use for recording live shows but I'm not sure if they're the best fit.

Maybe an omnidirectional mic?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Managed to get my hands on a Zero 2W. Apparently I once registered for an email notification from a vendor that's not listed on rpilocator (anymore, not sure how else I found out about this one?). I've been eying one for ages and ordered immediately when I saw the mail, but now I can't remember what I wanted to use it for...

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Are there any 2.8-ish inch screens for a zero W with resolution higher than 320x240? (Gonna be viewed through a lens expanding the size). Don't need touch, do need international shipping.

EDIT: okay, I think I'll be grabbing one of these.

If I want to run a fan in there as well (it's an enclosed space for the screen+pi) is there a best way to do that, with the GPIO being used for the screen? Split the USB power and use a fan adapter there, maybe? Is that safe?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 18, 2023

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I have a Raspbian OS question!

I built a device using a Rpi that usually runs "headless" (it's interacted with via buttons connected over GPIO). I have Raspbian installed with the full desktop, because it's what I did when I first set it up, and it's potentially useful if I need to go through a web interface to connect to Wifi or something.

Speaking of Wifi, right now it's just using the basic network manager applet (not full-on "Network Manager") and I've noticed that I'm sometimes having trouble when moving between different wifi networks (like my home network and the network at work). Usually it seems like it will only connect to the most recently connected network, though sometimes it will be a little smarter. For example just now I powered it up, after having previously used it at my office, and it connected to my home wifi. But the previous two times I moved between locations it didn't automatically connect, and I had to connect a mouse and keyboard and monitor and manually connect to the network. If I installed Network Manager would it be smarter about reconnecting to known wifi networks? Is there some way to disable the GUI applet and go to manually editing the wpa_supplicant file by hand? Any other things I should be looking at to improve wifi connectivity?

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

What microphone setup are you using for this?

I have some directional mini cardioid mics and a 9v power supply that I used to use for recording live shows but I'm not sure if they're the best fit.

Maybe an omnidirectional mic?

I think the idea is omnidirectional is best, but don't feel like you have to conform to some sort of template. I use a $35 lav mic and a $10 USB soundcard.

I think the easiest solutions all involve an i2s mic, as the quality isn't critical, but sensitivity is. the digital MEMs type mics also don't catch as much noise from the power supply, but have different noise problems. You can also run the i2s mic several meters just using just cat5 from what I heard in the github discussions. no additional power beyond what the pi gives.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Are there any 2.8-ish inch screens for a zero W with resolution higher than 320x240? (Gonna be viewed through a lens expanding the size

Doing something like this, or what? Do tell

https://twitter.com/ultrabrilliant/status/1265760651642798082?s=20

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
the pimoroni hyperixel round was the highest rez one I came across

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

FISHMANPET posted:

I have a Raspbian OS question!

I built a device using a Rpi that usually runs "headless" (it's interacted with via buttons connected over GPIO). I have Raspbian installed with the full desktop, because it's what I did when I first set it up, and it's potentially useful if I need to go through a web interface to connect to Wifi or something.

Speaking of Wifi, right now it's just using the basic network manager applet (not full-on "Network Manager") and I've noticed that I'm sometimes having trouble when moving between different wifi networks (like my home network and the network at work). Usually it seems like it will only connect to the most recently connected network, though sometimes it will be a little smarter. For example just now I powered it up, after having previously used it at my office, and it connected to my home wifi. But the previous two times I moved between locations it didn't automatically connect, and I had to connect a mouse and keyboard and monitor and manually connect to the network. If I installed Network Manager would it be smarter about reconnecting to known wifi networks? Is there some way to disable the GUI applet and go to manually editing the wpa_supplicant file by hand? Any other things I should be looking at to improve wifi connectivity?

You’ll probably have more luck with this in the Debian community in general. The Linux thread in shsc may be more relevant too.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Retrofitting a little 1970s slide viewer I thought looked cute. One of these:

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 21, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is there a name for a gpio header cable with two outs like this?

I'm trying to find a 40-pin one and can't.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Is there a name for a gpio header cable with two outs like this?

I'm trying to find a 40-pin one and can't.

If you don't need all of the pins you might be able to repurpose an old dual head ide Pata cable. Otherwise you can make one pretty easily from components. They sell parts at my local electronics store but I'm sure you can buy the parts from digikey or something.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yah those connectors are press fit on the ribbon cable, very easy to make your own.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Mantle posted:

If you don't need all of the pins you might be able to repurpose an old dual head ide Pata cable.

I did that and it was easy and only took a couple minutes.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Raspberry Pis are great because they're so cheap! This Pi Zero for my project only cost me a handful of dollars! <proceeds to order about a hundred dollars worth of adapters/cables/power supplies>

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

If you can even get one :v:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I have a RPI3b+ that I'm trying to use with DreamPi but i cannot get it to load anything but the official Raspberry Pi OS. Like even if i use the RPI Imager tool to load the SD Bootloader, it doesn't load it.

I also noticed that when I have nothing in the SD card slot and I boot it up, the green light doesn't blink at all which I've come to understand means the bootloader is hosed up?

How can I fix this? Lots of solutions online seem to be written for RPI4 which is different than what I'm seeing. Like in raspi-config, the Advanced Options doesn't even show the Bootloader option in the menu for me.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I have a RPI3b+ that I'm trying to use with DreamPi but i cannot get it to load anything but the official Raspberry Pi OS. Like even if i use the RPI Imager tool to load the SD Bootloader, it doesn't load it.

I also noticed that when I have nothing in the SD card slot and I boot it up, the green light doesn't blink at all which I've come to understand means the bootloader is hosed up?

How can I fix this? Lots of solutions online seem to be written for RPI4 which is different than what I'm seeing. Like in raspi-config, the Advanced Options doesn't even show the Bootloader option in the menu for me.

According to this troubleshooting thread, the 3 series should have the green light off with no SD card installed, it only flashes while booting.

The 4 is the first one with a flashable bootloader, the 3 series has no firmware to update or reflash. The first thing to check would be that the OS you’re trying to load is updated for the 3b+. And if it has different versions for the b and b+, that yours is 100% a b+.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

At this point I've tracked down versions 1.4-1.7 of DreamPi and I can't get any of them to boot so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I can't find any discussion around DreamPi not working on this model of RPI either.

So far I've tried flashing the SD card with Win32 Disk Imager, Balena Etcher, and the official Raspberry Pi OS flashing utility and the result is always the same: rainbow screen, red power light on the RPI3b+ and no green light to accompany it.

If I install the regular RaspberryOS using the official flashing utility it boots it up just fine no problems.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I have a confession to make to the thread. I've caved and bought a ZimaBoard so I can run Flatcar Container Linux and get hardware video transcoding.

I'm sorry, thread. The RPi4 was a real champ, but at the end of the day, it's still just a little too weird for my use case.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

So far I've tried flashing the SD card with Win32 Disk Imager, Balena Etcher, and the official Raspberry Pi OS flashing utility and the result is always the same: rainbow screen, red power light on the RPI3b+ and no green light to accompany it.

If I install the regular RaspberryOS using the official flashing utility it boots it up just fine no problems.

Is your power adapter good? Sometimes a borderline one will work for some uses and not others.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

cruft posted:

I have a confession to make to the thread. I've caved and bought a ZimaBoard so I can run Flatcar Container Linux and get hardware video transcoding.

I'm sorry, thread. The RPi4 was a real champ, but at the end of the day, it's still just a little too weird for my use case.

This rules, I have been kind of looking for a NUC-lite that is beefier than a RPi for a lot of edge connectivity things. I like how it has SATA built in!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

priznat posted:

This rules, I have been kind of looking for a NUC-lite that is beefier than a RPi for a lot of edge connectivity things. I like how it has SATA built in!

I should be able to start playing with it next week. I'll report in with how it's going.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's a great looking device, proper CPU and two NICs that don't involve a USB bus for cheap. Bit of a strange choice to use a DC jack rather than Type-C PD though.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

That's a great looking device, proper CPU and two NICs that don't involve a USB bus for cheap. Bit of a strange choice to use a DC jack rather than Type-C PD though.

It makes total sense, a barrel jack is tons cheaper and easier to design into the PCB. It's lame, but I wouldn't call it strange.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Running off straight 12V also gives you more flexibility with battery backups, I'd assume.

The platform is similar in a lot of ways to a current thin client, but having dual LAN and PCIe x4 available is definitely not normal for that segment and gives it a lot more potential for router/NAS stuff.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Shame they’re Realtek NICs though

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Eletriarnation posted:

Running off straight 12V also gives you more flexibility with battery backups, I'd assume.

This got me thinking, I know USB PD can deliver 12v...

Yep, there's a cable. Same amperage, too.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Inept posted:

Is your power adapter good? Sometimes a borderline one will work for some uses and not others.

i've tried a bunch of different power options and nothing seems to matter.

it's just strange that the official RaspberryOS installs and runs perfectly fine but none of the DreamPi builds boot at all. I even have a different project installed to another SD card called BirdPi and it boots with no problems either.

I just don't know what I'm doing wrong here.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

i've tried a bunch of different power options and nothing seems to matter.

it's just strange that the official RaspberryOS installs and runs perfectly fine but none of the DreamPi builds boot at all. I even have a different project installed to another SD card called BirdPi and it boots with no problems either.

I just don't know what I'm doing wrong here.

I know it doesn't answer or solve your problem, really, but have you tried manually installing the DreamPi daemon in the working OS?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

cruft posted:

This seems similar to the odroid h3. I’ve been thinking about getting one of them for a bit to mess with, I’d be interested to hear how well it works.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

cruft posted:

USB PD trigger cables are insanely useful when combined with a power bank that supports PD.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

cruft posted:

Yeah, I have one that draws the 20V mode to any of a number of legacy 19-20V laptop charging tips: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BL6SW52G

Works great with my two Dell laptops that are too old to have Type-C. I wish it had some kind of coupler that allowed it to attach to chargers with integrated cables instead of just ones with ports, but from what I recall the PD spec has something about the cables having e-marker chips for capability discovery and making that work with couplers could just be too complex to be worthwhile.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They exist, you can get plugs like this. Pretty expensive for what they are.

https://amzn.eu/d/hOof0qv

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Yeah, actually conformant and thus reliable usb-PD needs surprisingly much development effort. Though it is the kind of effort that can become routine eventually.

Remember, the Pi4 was memeworthy for failing to properly work with actually standard conformant cables and chargers because of some shortcut they took.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Question for anyone who maintains a bunch of Pis..

We have a bunch of Pis deployed as USB UART <-> Ethernet (and some other minor function) devices for test setups. The Pis are not able to access the internet. What would be the best way of doing updates on these?

- Some kind of ansible playbook that does offline installs on .deb files
- Similar to above but do a reverse ssh tunnel from the Pi to a machine that is internet connected to grab all the apt-get stuff (IT might frown on this)
- Just buck up and update all the microSD cards manually
- other?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Are they connected to an intranet? If yes, you could just setup a local mirror of the raspibian repositories and point your updater to that.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

VictualSquid posted:

Are they connected to an intranet? If yes, you could just setup a local mirror of the raspibian repositories and point your updater to that.

Yeah they are accessible on an intranet, is pointing to a file share good enough? I will have to check if they can mount.

I would also like to move to either making the boot section read only and mounting network folders as file system or net booting the whole thing at some point too.

I’ll look into how to mirror the repository locally, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
Can you use a proxy server to download the files?