Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I found the source code and there are precisely two catch blocks in the entire thing and neither of them throw a meaningful exception

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

oh ho, what's this? A bottle of wine? well well well

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

just got my annual review which was excellent

my main complaint w my work is i jump between so many systems and like frameworks/sdks that i gain no true mastery, but the plus side is having a wide (but shallow) pool of knowledge

i wish i could be one of those people that writes extremely high performance intricate kernel poo poo but nah glueing stuff together with python is what pays the bills

like whenever someone who extremely knows their poo poo posts itt i am in awe and strive for that but it never comes up professionally

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
this reminds me of the joke about the three holes in the ground

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

as celebration for my spectacular review i pushed changes to prod on friday. booyah

(it worked, i tested it heavily ahead of time but know this is also due to luck in the sense that our cloud provider didnt blow up simultaneously)

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

MrQueasy posted:

this reminds me of the joke about the three holes in the ground

oh really? I'll look into it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

animist posted:

docking with my boss on a Friday

pushin on my git on sunday

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Corla Plankun posted:

this is the only actual problem i have at work anymore. the temptation to write the fun stuff is so strong!!! but it is almost never worth it and most of the time would actually make things worse

Today at work I had a choice between client A, who needs me to RDP into their windows servers and figure out why an old non-production SOAP service is not responding, and client B, which needed a quick proof of concept for a promotion engine that involved lots of recursion, parallelization, and property-based testing, with carte blanche on the tech stack as long as it exposed an HTTP API

Guess which client turned out to be way, way more urgent?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

NihilCredo posted:

Today at work I had a choice between client A, who needs me to RDP into their windows servers and figure out why an old non-production SOAP service is not responding, and client B, which needed a quick proof of concept for a promotion engine that involved lots of recursion, parallelization, and property-based testing, with carte blanche on the tech stack as long as it exposed an HTTP API

Guess which client turned out to be way, way more urgent?

the rdp client, because that sounds like a bank dying

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

cinci zoo sniper posted:

the rdp client, because that sounds like a bank dying

"Non-production". Production is totally fine, but a few months ago they moved their test servers and hosed up a bunch of endpoint configurations in the process (i.e. they shuffled hostnames around but couldn't be arsed to check whether any configuration also needed updating).

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 21, 2023

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

i wish our clients ever asked for a ton of recursion and property based testing in their feature requests

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cool av posted:

i wish our clients ever asked for a ton of recursion and property based testing in their feature requests

"property-tested analytics software implemented in an excel spreadsheet for user modification"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

cool av posted:

i wish our clients never

saaaaame

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

binding redirects are such a clusterfuck

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i am simply adding <AutoGenerateBindingRedirects>true</AutoGenerateBindingRedirects> to one hundred csprojjes and hoping for the best

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I was skimming through some of the pages in this ancient wiki I've scraped for backup purposes before I turn it off and a load of people come out of the woodwork complaining I removed their important 15 year old list of SQL queries or whatever and found some quoted comments including:

quote:

//Steve M made me do this 12 -8 -97
[Some C++ poo poo I don't understand involving decimal casts]
//Steve M is a ****

good job there were no code reviews I guess

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Just reviewing some basic code calculating the astronomical season. It's very weird as it normalizes the year to 2000 for some reason, so clearly a Stackoverflow copy pasta, but no attribution. Paste a line into Google and find the original. It's the answer with 0 points and many bugs. Amazing.

https://stackoverflow.com/a/68500498

JavaScript code:
const seasons = [{
    name: 'Spring',
    start: new Date(2000, 2, 21),
    end: new Date(2000, 5, 20)
},{
    name: 'Summer',
    start: new Date(2000, 5, 21),
    end: new Date(2000, 8, 20)
},{
    name: 'Autumn/Fall',
    start: new Date(2000, 8, 21),
    end: new Date(2000, 11, 20)
},{
    name: 'Winter',
    start: new Date(2000, 11, 21),
    end: new Date(2001, 2, 20)
}];
The other answers on Stackoverflow are equally hosed up though, just amazing.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 23, 2023

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

load-bearing webdev

I wonder how many places are using it

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MrMoo posted:

Just reviewing some basic code calculating the astronomical season. It's very weird as it normalizes the year to 2000 for some reason, so clearly a Stackoverflow copy pasta, but no attribution. Paste a line into Google and find the original. It's the answer with 0 points and many bugs. Amazing.

https://stackoverflow.com/a/68500498

JavaScript code:
const seasons = [{
    name: 'Spring',
    start: new Date(2000, 2, 21),
    end: new Date(2000, 5, 20)
},{
    name: 'Summer',
    start: new Date(2000, 5, 21),
    end: new Date(2000, 8, 20)
},{
    name: 'Autumn/Fall',
    start: new Date(2000, 8, 21),
    end: new Date(2000, 11, 20)
},{
    name: 'Winter',
    start: new Date(2000, 11, 21),
    end: new Date(2001, 2, 20)
}];
The other answers on Stackoverflow are equally hosed up though, just amazing.

holy poo poo lmao

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

working it out properly sounds hard, I'd probably just hard code it and raise a Jira to update it next year

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

it’s pretty simple from another answer, using Luxon DateTime:
JavaScript code:
 // https://stackoverflow.com/a/57444006
function getAstronomicalSeason(now) {
	const SPRING_START = now.set({ month: 2, day: now.isInLeapYear ? 19 : 20 });
	const SUMMER_START = now.set({ month: 5, day: now.isInLeapYear ? 20 : 21 });
	const AUTUMN_START = now.set({ month: 8, day: now.isInLeapYear ? 22 : 23 });
	const WINTER_START = now.set({ month: 11, day: now.isInLeapYear ? 20 : 21 });
	if(now >= SPRING_START && now < SUMMER_START) {
		return 'spring';
	} else if(now >= SUMMER_START && now < AUTUMN_START) {
		return 'summer';
	} else if(now >= AUTUMN_START && now < WINTER_START) {
		return 'autumn';
	} else {
		return 'winter';
	}
}

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
sure, everyone complains about how many npm modules their projects have, but then when i simply copy paste 30 lines of code from stack overflow instead of running npm install season-identifier, then somehow i'm the bad guy,

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
why are these so bad

one of these days I'ma buy calendrical calculations. then I can get allllll the upvotes

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

doesn’t take into account hemispheres tho

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

polyester concept posted:

doesn’t take into account hemispheres tho

I had the same thought but apparently astronomical seasons don't consider hemisphere?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

pokeyman posted:

I had the same thought but apparently astronomical seasons don't consider hemisphere?

yes, because they summarise planet’s position on the orbit around sun. meteorological seasons are those that care about temperature fluctuations

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

seasons aren’t even real. they’re just a vibe

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
somebody at work said our databases were set up as "An Active/Whacktive Experience" and i'm totally not mad i didn't come up with the term first

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

whack like "hit" or whack (wack) like "uncool"

or both

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Share Bear posted:

whack like "hit" or whack (wack) like "uncool"

or both

little of A little of B

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

"hey everybody, we know that we spent years forcing you all to use this specific CI platform and associated tools, but we just realised that it's actually a pile of poo poo and woefully out of date so we're implementing a completely new one can you all migrate please?"

lol, lmao

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

lol if you're not writing a full gr-based n-body simulation to determine the precise moment of the equinoxes and solstices in the greenwich mean reference frame. just lol

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

"hey everybody, we know that we spent years forcing you all to use this specific CI platform and associated tools, but we just realised that it's actually a pile of poo poo and woefully out of date so we're implementing a completely new one can you all migrate please?"

lol, lmao

my money is they hired some young people who wanted to use something new instead of supporting something existing and as soon as the honeymoon period is over they are gonna bounce to the next company.

this may or may not be based off personal experiences with coworkers who just wanna play with the newest shiny thing from their favorite tech influencer.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i hope implement means some sort of managed solution and not like rebuilding everything from scratch

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Share Bear posted:

i hope implement means some sort of managed solution and not like rebuilding everything from scratch

yeah i know jenkins worked fine but we don't really wanna read documentation but hey look travisCI is cool i bet this will do everything we want after we spend 2 years configuring it also i'm gonna need you to use this bespoke artisinal yml config for all your pipelines. also we only support rust language for now so you'll need to convert your existing applications. one last thing, don't ask me for help because i already put my two weeks in starting the week after we go live because i'm already bored.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Share Bear posted:

you know it's not

poemdexter posted:

my money is they hired some young people who wanted to use something new instead of supporting something existing and as soon as the honeymoon period is over they are gonna bounce to the next company.

this may or may not be based off personal experiences with coworkers who just wanna play with the newest shiny thing from their favorite tech influencer.

I wish it was this because then we'd be using something vaguely new, instead of an old Jenkins version and a huge pile of varying different scripts behind it, all of which was implemented by contract staff lol

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

lol, lmao

okay boss, what web ui do i gotta tell to run build.ps1 now

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?
is it normal to not document an API and instead tell someone to use the inspect element tool to deduce what the JSON you POST is?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
is it surprising? less than one would hope. should they be fed into a wood chipper? yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Its a Rolex posted:

is it normal to not document an API and instead tell someone to use the inspect element tool to deduce what the JSON you POST is?

normal in the sense that lots of forms of malpractice are "normal"