Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

haveblue posted:

surely we can emulate the SNES synthesizer accurately enough for 99% of players by now

or at least ship it as high bitrate lossily compressed

this is proooobably true because there are enough insane nerds obsessed with snes to get it mostly right

but sound synthesis chips, with a mix of digital and analog stages, are notoriously hard to recreate purely with digital emulation. lots of little quirks and peculiarities of the specific device configuration that basically require electron-level emulation to get totally right.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

owned

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

this is proooobably true because there are enough insane nerds obsessed with snes to get it mostly right

but sound synthesis chips, with a mix of digital and analog stages, are notoriously hard to recreate purely with digital emulation. lots of little quirks and peculiarities of the specific device configuration that basically require electron-level emulation to get totally right.

there's been a lot of research/work done into getting accurate console sound emulation recently
https://junkerhq.net/MDFourier/

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

gran turismo 7 is going to be on ps vr2 and actually let you do online races. i might have to buy one.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS49Dazin3E

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

fyi for anyone playing NFS Unbound on PC: it seems the game has an unresolved VRAM leak issue so if you're seeing graphical glitches and/or the game freezing entirely after playing for an extended period then you'll probably need to restart the game every hour or so (restarting before entering a session from the garage is usually a good idea).

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i'm going to play a bunch of returnal tonight

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Kenny Logins posted:

i'm going to play a bunch of returnal tonight

Did they update it?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

iirc you can pause a run and it won't go away when someone shuts off the playstation/plays another game now

please confirm though, cause i will never play it prior to such a patch

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Mr. Crow posted:

Did they update it?
they deffo don't let you sleep more than uhhhhh once a run? you can't sleep to refill all your health anymore

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

It's also hitting PC on February 15

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

they added a tower. idk i haven't gone back to that game after beating it once. i hated that the final level and boss had different physics to the rest of the game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yea Returnal now has a save and quit button

not sure what the limits are on using it

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i'm playing "Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun," and it is the same as Desperadoes 3. Like, right down to the skills operating in the same way - you have a guy with a throwing weapon, a lady who can steal clothes and then walk through enemies line of sight in disguise, a sniper guy, etc. The tone of the writing is also basically exactly the same. Not exactly a bad thing since Desperadoes 3 is such a hoot but it is remarkable how much it's just a palette swap from cowboys to samurai

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

isnt it also the same team that did the commandos games?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Truman Peyote posted:

i'm playing "Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun," and it is the same as Desperadoes 3. Like, right down to the skills operating in the same way - you have a guy with a throwing weapon, a lady who can steal clothes and then walk through enemies line of sight in disguise, a sniper guy, etc. The tone of the writing is also basically exactly the same. Not exactly a bad thing since Desperadoes 3 is such a hoot but it is remarkable how much it's just a palette swap from cowboys to samurai
great news about the seven samurai/magnificent seven and yojimbo/fistful of dollars

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i was finally convinced to try return of the obra dinn and i'm already getting quite frustrated

viewed maybe a half dozen death scenes and the game seems to think there's a person i can identify by name when i absolutely 100% cannot, and cannot see any details anywhere that might indicate it

plus i'm now informed people's accents may be important and look i'm gonna be blunt 90% of the time i can't tell british from scottish from irish, possibly throw welsh in there too. same for accents from other regions

starting to get the feeling this game is not all it's cracked up to be, for me at least

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

also as if i weren't already incredibly bad at spotting details by default, this weirdass kinda-headache-inducing visual style ain't helping

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Ciaphas posted:

also as if i weren't already incredibly bad at spotting details by default, this weirdass kinda-headache-inducing visual style ain't helping

you can change the art style to lots of other kinds in the menu

is it the first death? i think it took a bit for me to figure him out too

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

nah it was a bit later than that: the tattooed dude getting torn apart by the beast. and none of the color filters or the rest helped much

oh well, that's what the refund window is for

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Oh no, not I, I will survive

(unless I’m playing Boss Rash—that level still kicks my poo poo in once the little grim reaper dudes show up :negative:)

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

messing around in core keeper while in between colonies in rimworld

..got run over by a giant legged slug

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

(sensible chuckle)

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

this tracks :hmmyes:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
conceptualization (formidable: success)

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

missing the boombox 6/10

I'm quite annoyed that I managed to keep Kim wearing the piss****** jacket the whole way and gog didn't give me the cheevo for it. Maybe it detected me savescumming or something.

e: I never bothered to get the body down either

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

lol

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

dioxazine posted:

messing around in core keeper while in between colonies in rimworld

..got run over by a giant legged slug
i wanted to like core keeper but i never quite managed to get off the ground

maybe i should give it another chance??? still looking for something else to play after obra dinn flopped

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

nice

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

AUGH

https://twitter.com/arconinternet/status/1610365388994273281

The Archive on the Internet twit account here seems to be posting a bunch of in-browser playable games today on the timeline.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

i wanted to like core keeper but i never quite managed to get off the ground

maybe i should give it another chance??? still looking for something else to play after obra dinn flopped

i feel like it probably doesn't really have that much content compared to terraria or even my time in portia

that said, it's definitely a game you will want to play with friends. the way the game artificially delays progression through craft times ala minecraft smelting/cooking means you will want to find something else to do for a bit in game while processing large batches

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

AUGH

https://twitter.com/arconinternet/status/1610365388994273281

The Archive on the Internet twit account here seems to be posting a bunch of in-browser playable games today on the timeline.
drat the first screenshot makes it look like it was a lucasarts-ish adventure game and now im kinda mad that it’s just a bad platformer

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i must have it…

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

mr blobby is a treasure

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

President Beep posted:

i must have it…
when it comes to mr. blobby, you cannot play him, only get played by him

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

dioxazine posted:

mr blobby is a treasure

literal treasure based on this at the moment...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

There is something fundamentally wrong with the British people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

There is something fundamentally wrong with the British people.