Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Captain Foo posted:

job interview on Monday

merry yotj, o captain my captain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

prisoner of waffles posted:

hot take: people are bad at reading code

it's this

they're also bad at ready logs

and pretty much any other kind of output

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

oh, poo poo, reading logs, that's a fantastic interview question idea

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Blinkz0rz posted:

it's this

coworker: hey this thing crashed, i don't know what could have caused it and i looked at the logs but i didn't see anything

The Logs posted:

ORA-01858: a non-numeric character found where a digit was expected

me: :thunk:

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
ORA-42069: database is high as gently caress :okpos:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Blinkz0rz posted:

it's this

buddy lemme tell you: they’re just bad at everything

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
man I forgot how weird it feels to leave the a late (3rd+) interview at a company and have no clue if you did great or are about to be bounced

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
i just finished a system design interview that i’m pretty sure i completely embarrassed myself on but in my defense the guy kept responding to my clarifying questions with “i dunno, that’s really a question for product” and it threw me. i wasn’t trying to flesh out every little user preference database column, it was things like “what defines a unique identifier for rows in this data set”. i think i was supposed to be designing around a generic primary key or something but man that feels weird.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

prisoner of waffles posted:

merry yotj, o captain my captain

i think it went well

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

started sending out applications today. got a reply back from one company within a few hours.. they're interested in me!

except, they want me to complete a skill assessment test prior to even speaking with me. it's 63 questions, almost as long as a cert exam. is this normal these days?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

they're not actually interested, that was an automated reply

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i was being sarcastic!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

dioxazine posted:

i was being sarcastic!

I ... I dont think we allow that any more, do we?

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

rotor posted:

:negative:

only about the first part though. i hope this doesn't happen consistently

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

rotor posted:

Yeah, we totally do. Being sarcastic is so cool :rolleyes:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

dioxazine posted:

i hope this doesn't happen consistently

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
I've gotten far enough along in this process now to at least have a few automated rejections. That's nice I guess.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
apply to google, as a joke

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

rotor posted:

apply to google, as a joke

oh I should totally reply to that recruiter (er sourcer) that sent me an email last Tuesday and see what they say

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

hobbesmaster posted:

oh I should totally reply to that recruiter (er sourcer) that sent me an email last Tuesday and see what they say

lol you should

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the guy’s pick a time on a calendar thing is completely open

:rip:

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

crossposting from the discord

so it's the time for my yearly "job search out of curiosity how much greener the grass is on the other side". yesterday went to an interview after a first really good teams interview - for a senior role

after a set of the most bland questions i've ever had (tell us about a time you showed leadership, tell me your strengths and weaknesses, have you ever worked with kubernetes (offer made no mention of kubernetes))

had a whiteboard thing like this

aaabbccccdd
a3b2c4d2

i wrote the code to solve it in like 2 minutes. but then i felt something was off - we left it at that, and after 1 minute staring at it i realize "ah poo poo actually you guys wanted me to ask for another example right? to make sure i really needed to to things the way i thought i should? are they always in order? what should i show if the input starts with d?

they also showed me a bit of C# code and like yeah, i did not remember by heart if Function<T1, T2> meant a function with parameter type T1 returning T2 or the opposite. I mean I only do a bit of C# every now and then because I mostly code in C++

guy with the mba just called me saying "they don't think i can dive deep enough into their really complex codebase - they worry about the learning curve" and that "i don't challenge enough"

bitch i've been writing code for 20 years since i was 15, i probably know like 10 different languages if not more - do you really think your 2 questions will help you assess my skills?

told him straight up that his interview process might be okay for a junior role lol@using this for a senior role. kindly told him to get hosed.

am glad this guy won't be my boss after all, even if said company had pretty good benefits.

interviewing out of curiosity is really fun.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

i think perhaps everyone came out of that interview happy with the result

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

go play outside Skyler posted:

interviewing out of curiosity is really fun.

this is what i keep sayin

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
if you've been in the biz for 10+ years then wash off that "i have something to prove to you" stink because people can smell it on you.

you didn't think i'm a good fit for the role because (list of idiotic reasons)? sorry to hear that. thank you for your time.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Sapozhnik posted:

if you've been in the biz for 10+ years then wash off that "i have something to prove to you" stink because people can smell it on you.

you didn't think i'm a good fit for the role because (list of idiotic reasons)? sorry to hear that. thank you for your time.

you're not wrong but this can really be easier said than done

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

got a preliminary job offer that results in a pretty substantial paycut from last job, but it is better than unemployment

kinda sucks that i guess i'll have to keep interviewing elsewhere even if i accept this for the time being

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i just had an interview where i'm 99% certain the candidate was being coached. they had lots of weird audio issues getting going, lots of weird pauses before answering, and the kicker: after giving me a vague description of a past gig, the candidate said "you should explain that more", then went on to poorly expand on what they'd said.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

nudgenudgetilt posted:

i just had an interview where i'm 99% certain the candidate was being coached. they had lots of weird audio issues getting going, lots of weird pauses before answering, and the kicker: after giving me a vague description of a past gig, the candidate said "you should explain that more", then went on to poorly expand on what they'd said.

I had a phone screen once years ago where the candidate clearly had a friend answering for them. He repeated every question, the background noise stopped (mute button probably) and then gave vague but confident answers - too long ago to have been chat gpt

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

nudgenudgetilt posted:

my favorite was the interviewee was really struggling with this basic question, then suddenly dropped, then came back after 5 minutes saying their internet had died and finished up the question rapidly and with no questions.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

nudgenudgetilt posted:

lol ron burgundy-rear end interviewer

lil update on me: after reading all the very helpful posts about my situation (no tech hard skills, oodles of soft skills, people touching aptitude), I fell into a gig running fancy covid testing (with a Director title and a boss willing to say absolutely anything on a ref check) that has all but petered out. I'm now working through What Color is Your Parachute because people keep asking me what I'm looking for and "a job that takes my time and energy and turns it into a mortgage" isn't quite actionable enough for people to call in favors or take time for me

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

theflyingexecutive posted:

people keep asking me what I'm looking for and "a job that takes my time and energy and turns it into a mortgage" isn't quite actionable enough for people to call in favors or take time for me

say product management (better, probably harder to get) or project management (suckier, possibly easier to get)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i have more Interviews on Friday

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

reached out yesterday to a multinational that interviewed me a week ago but has been radio silent since. they replied today saying that they finally got authorisation (probably forgot) to go ahead with a panel interview with the hiring manager

my stomach is in knots all over again

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

dioxazine posted:

reached out yesterday to a multinational that interviewed me a week ago but has been radio silent since. they replied today saying that they finally got authorisation (probably forgot) to go ahead with a panel interview with the hiring manager

my stomach is in knots all over again

if you get too nervous one quick fix is fatten your pipeline. call more peeps, its just sales

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i had really hoped to never interview again unless i got signals from management that i wasn't performing well

the recent layoffs have me brushing off the old resume. if getting got at any time with no reason or notice is a live possibility, i gotta stay in practice

i am extremely not happy about this development

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

Achmed Jones posted:

the recent layoffs have me brushing off the old resume. if getting got at any time with no reason or notice is a live possibility, i gotta stay in practice

so it shall be, as it has always been

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
got rejected with this email

recruiter posted:

Hi raminasi,

Thank you for taking the time to meet the team about the Software Engineer role and discuss your experience. While the team was very impressed with your skills and experience, they feel that they were not the best match for what we are looking for at this moment for this role.

Please know that this decision does not reflect on your skills and experience, but rather on our current business needs.

I am happy to go over feedback if there is a time that works with you early next week.
Kind regards,
recruiter

is it just me or did she throw a bunch of boilerplate platitudes in there without making sure they cohered? "we don't want you, which isn't a reflection of your skills, just that we don't want them. i can give you feedback on your skills (which were fine) (but we don't want them) next week"

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?
i once had a fantastic interview for a junior. i wanted to hire him, and we couldn't, because my manager decided after interviewing several folks that we didn't actually need to fill that position at all.

it is genuinely possible everyone liked you and you didn't make the cut for stupid business reasons, not because of you at all

i also had this happen once where multiple people told me they were super excited to lean into the tech i was being hired for my expertise in, and then they just cut me loose after 2 months of interviews

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

raminasi posted:

is it just me or did she throw a bunch of boilerplate platitudes in there without making sure they cohered?

I think the only thing this email is supposed to cohere into is "we will not be moving forward in a way that does not leave the door open for litigation"

there's no accounting for taste, gently caress em imo