Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Where do you save your personal files
This poll is closed.
Rawdogging my home directory 12 8.39%
Documents/ 12 8.39%
dropbox 6 4.20%
icloud 9 6.29%
onedrive 6 4.20%
s3 bucket 5 3.50%
email to myself 9 6.29%
yeeted via rsync to an old optiplex in the basement 6 4.20%
sd card 6 4.20%
printed out 10 6.99%
github 7 4.90%
a backup on the vm itself 6 4.20%
rapidshare 4 2.80%
google drive 8 5.59%
box 4 2.80%
egnyte 3 2.10%
sharefile 4 2.80%
spideroak 3 2.10%
megaupload 6 4.20%
printed out 11 7.69%
uploaded to web server to send link to rms's demon to email it to him 6 4.20%
Total: 31 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Like really I would have expected by 2023 someone would have made something that isn't completely trash. The best one is of course Dropbox so far, but even Dropbox doesn't do full-text indexing of markdown files which is what prompted me to make this great post. Anyway I really home this is the year someone makes a good file sync thing that has a web interface where I can search my markdown files along with all the other files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

the Dropbox ui is unbelievably bad

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
you want a cloud file thing where the files are not encrypted and they can just read them?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
timb make iCloud Time Machine real already you stupid jerk

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
icloud seems fine to me, it works on my iphone

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

backblaze

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i could really use a cloud storage thing but they're all hosed up in one way or another so i've never actually settled on one.

dropbox seemed decent ages ago but i don't hear a lot of good things lately and i don't have a lot of faith in the company itself. seriously how haven't they been acquired yet?

onedrive would be fine but the ios app does some really stupid poo poo, biggest one being the photos tab doesn't just index the photos folder, rather in indexes any and every image file anywhere in your onedrive making it kind of useless. no, microsoft, screenshots, memes, and album art aren't my loving photos. the web version of onedrive does the same thing but has an option to only show photos in the photos folder. ios app doesn't have this because ?? ???? ???

never tried google. maybe it's good? they probably won't kill it someday, right? idk.

lol at using icloud if you aren't 100% in the apple ecosystem, and even then from seeing how it performs, probably still lol

and all the other services are small-potatoes also-rans that usually fall flat on their face someway, usually really bad iOS support or weird limitations

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i have an aws instance that has git repos, a postgres instance, and other stuff on it where i put important stuff. probably a lot more expensive than existing services when it comes to storage or bandwidth costs but whatever. all the stuff i have worth having backups for is text or code or small db tables or other small files so it doesn't really matter

also i like building overly complicated lovely systems by hand instead of using existing solutions so this is perfect for me

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

sprawling mess of subdirs on drive D:/

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Sweevo posted:

this + a separate sprawling mess on my synology

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i still don't like they way things sync with all this cloud stuff. just gimme a network share drive or something.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Sweevo posted:

:hmmyes:

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
all of em suck so i just went with idrive because they offered a big-rear end discount and it's good enough for backups, which is all i need it for really

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

very much same status of all of them sucking so i went with onedrive for the combo of being cheapest and in an ecosystem i already use.

cheapest at the time that is, the relative costs of cloud storage services (expressed in any way conveniently, e.g. as a single chart) has since become forbidden knowledge, a wall of ai garbage being the google search results. i suspect it remains true or near true.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

The Management posted:

you want a cloud file thing where the files are not encrypted and they can just read them?

For these ones yeah, anything I need encrypted I encrypt before saving to cloud. The stuff I want indexed isn't high sensitivity.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Bloody posted:

It really is. I get that nobody uses the web ui most of the time and just relies on whatever file manager you're using on the computer you're syncing to but every once in a while I need that web ui and it makes me sad in my heart.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

icloud seems fine to me, it works on my iphone

sadly I need something that works on debian as well. and also icloud doesn't do full text indexing.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
voted in the poll

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I might gently caress around and set up an ownCloud, so that when I inevitably misconfigure something and lose all my data I can say more like ownedCloud.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

voted in the poll

Thank you. I'm sorry I wrote the "printed out" option twice.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

nvrgrls posted:

It really is. I get that nobody uses the web ui most of the time and just relies on whatever file manager you're using on the computer you're syncing to but every once in a while I need that web ui and it makes me sad in my heart.

even the file manager ui manages to be lovely with like context menu stuff or whatever. I don’t like it! gimme the old “literally just a folder, that shows up on multiple computers”

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I don’t understand why aws doesn’t sell a braindead simple self cloud option.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
don't they? or maybe they did but not anymore. it rings a bell but i can't remember the name at all

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Bloody posted:

prison is too good for their designers

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

voted both instances of "printed out"

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

after cleaning up a bunch of old drives, yeah. i use icloud for goofy images etc. since it's simple enough on windows, but any real files live on a network drive that i backblaze and can pull from any os locally

it was handy when i was condensing and sorting old file because i deleted something, realized it was meaningful, and pulled the backup

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Cat Face Joe posted:

prison is too good for their designers

do they have designers

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i use sync.com, op. works for me

when they first launched I asked on twitter if they could match my dropbox storage on the free tier and they did no questions asked lol.

i had something like 28gb because i did the ol dropbox referrer trick ages ago

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

dropbox used to be real good but then irritatingly they decided they needed to make money now it is a constant upsell fest and very annoying

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i havent used dropbox in like 10 years

my company used to use box but once office 365 took over there was no point in using it over onedrive

my partner’s old company used dropbox + office 365 and it was lol

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Bloody posted:

even the file manager ui manages to be lovely with like context menu stuff or whatever. I don’t like it! gimme the old “literally just a folder, that shows up on multiple computers”

If you use the dropbox daemon then you get exactly "literally just a folder that shows up on multiple computers" without any of the garbage.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

i havent used dropbox in like 10 years

my company used to use box but once office 365 took over there was no point in using it over onedrive

my partner’s old company used dropbox + office 365 and it was lol

I use OneDrive for work and it's great. No official Linux client so I don't use for personal. I also like having clear separate apps for personal vs work. Work stuff on OneDrive, personal stuff on Dropbox.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

the defacto "official" onedrive client for linux is written in D

:themoreyouknow:

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

more like written in Deez

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I back everything up that I want vaguely backed up on a second disk. Anything that is actually hyper critical goes onto the storage of web space, if it's not already on github or whatever.

Backup services all suck and somehow manage to gently caress up the most basic poo poo.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

polyester concept posted:

i use sync.com, op. works for me

same

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I tried this on my pc and I really wanted to like it but it just failed to work and there was no obvious solution. like it failed scanning the drive in the first place or something

because I really need a backup lol

what’s the best thing for backing up my photos? I don’t necessarily need speed but I do need some decent space

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I just use my NAS, you should try that OP.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
will your NAS survive a structure fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
NAS mirrored to web storage, just get worst of both worlds with coding in between