Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

AUGH

https://twitter.com/arconinternet/status/1610365388994273281

The Archive on the Internet twit account here seems to be posting a bunch of in-browser playable games today on the timeline.

yeah basically every single DOS shareware game you can think of is on archive.org and playable in your browser. love me some Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure: https://archive.org/details/CosmosCosmicAdventure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

rimworld update: i've been working on the same colony for a while now, i have like three generations and 40-something colonists? and i finally decided to try add in ideology, but good lord is it confusing. i have biotech and royalty fairly figured out now, but now everyone is pissed off and fighting all the time because i don't have all their altars and poo poo. should i just start a new colony??

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

split the colony

matti
Mar 31, 2019

i started raiding in wow after a decade

its pretty fun

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Sweevo posted:

literal treasure based on this at the moment...

:eyepop:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Sagebrush posted:

There is something fundamentally wrong with the British people.

one made the horrible mistake of marrying me so yeah. that’s a her problem though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

individual British persons can be fine. It's the whole people who are a problem

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

too late, sagebrush. you’ve already made yourself a dangerous enemy (mister blobby)

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

isn't your paypig british, sagebrush?

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Gnossiennes posted:

rimworld update: i've been working on the same colony for a while now, i have like three generations and 40-something colonists? and i finally decided to try add in ideology, but good lord is it confusing. i have biotech and royalty fairly figured out now, but now everyone is pissed off and fighting all the time because i don't have all their altars and poo poo. should i just start a new colony??

idk how it works when you introduce a new dlc in the middle of an established colony but it’s easier if everyone is the same ideology so you don’t have to focus on appeasing everyone’s unique needs. some people will have needs that are in direct conflict with others. you can try to convert everyone to a single ideology otherwise yeah you will need to meet the individual needs of each

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Gnossiennes posted:

i had this same issue when ideology was first released and i tried importing it into a pre-existing colony. it was just everyone fighting and angry all of the time

which seems to reflect humanity quite well if you think about it

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

physical games chat: getting ready to teach four other people how to play oath :negative:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

:rip:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

its gonna be fun but when the "learn this game quick" videos are thirty minutes long you're in for a time

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

quiggy posted:

physical games chat: getting ready to teach four other people how to play oath :negative:

I want a trip report because I’m eventually going to do the same

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

MrQueasy posted:

I want a trip report because I’m eventually going to do the same

same. its gonna be a hard sell.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

ive already sent them the "hey btw this is gonna be a rough teach and the first game is gonna be a wash" message and linked them to a good intro vid. still gonna be rough though!!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i wish i had people to tabletop game w/

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

how many of you also live in kalamazoo? let’s meet up this week.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

come to socal beep, we can play snow tails

oh poo poo little jones is probably old enough to play snow tails now. he's been playing jaipur for years

this reminds me: he wants to play chess, so i will teach him to play chess. but i hate chess

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

no way, dude. i saw a Sublime music video in 1996 and it was very intimidating.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

President Beep posted:

i wish i had people to tabletop game w/
did you get a risus game going yet with the kiddos

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Kenny Logins posted:

nah, not yet. don’t think we’re quite there yet.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

been playing Archvale last couple days, hoping to finish it today. Fun little bullet-hell adventure thing

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

quiggy posted:

i played a game on tabletop simulator (the official mod is free from the publisher!) and had absolutely no idea what was going on. seems like it might be fun, but i'd definitely need to play more, so keep us posted!

wish i had a gaming group that would meet up even semi-regularly.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Endless Mike posted:

i played a game on tabletop simulator (the official mod is free from the publisher!) and had absolutely no idea what was going on. seems like it might be fun, but i'd definitely need to play more, so keep us posted!

wish i had a gaming group that would meet up even semi-regularly.

it's funny because the rules are this crazy fractal of complexity. the win conditions are super complicated, but the actual turn structure and game structure is simple, but then the actions you can take on turns become complicated, but the card mechanics are simple, until you play the cards, and then they become complicated again! i feel bad for anyone who bought this game not knowing what they were getting into, even if ive been itching for months to get it to the table

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Kenny Logins posted:

beeps "rhesus game" went poorly

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

bunch of monkey business

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

we can play snow tails

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

HOLY poo poo

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

yeah, that looks like a blast

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

MUSH!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

lol

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

sick

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

quiggy posted:

I've been curious about Oath. My group played the paint off Root, and I know they're very much different games, but we've been interested in trying it since, y'know, good designers are good.

But we'll probably just keep playing the bejesus out of Eclipse: Second Dawn for the Galaxy instead because god drat can that game scratch a couple itches.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Decon posted:

I've been curious about Oath. My group played the paint off Root, and I know they're very much different games, but we've been interested in trying it since, y'know, good designers are good.

But we'll probably just keep playing the bejesus out of Eclipse: Second Dawn for the Galaxy instead because god drat can that game scratch a couple itches.

root loving owns and i'd be lying if i said i hadn't initially been interested in oath because it's the same designer, but as i've learned the rules and watched let's plays and stuff it seems like a very interesting thing and i'm very excited to put it in front of my group. just not looking forward to, y'know, teaching it

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

i usually start my teaches with the win condition and lol+lmao oath has four of them and none are simple :negative:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

quiggy posted:

i usually start my teaches with the win condition and lol+lmao oath has four of them and none are simple :negative:
indeed, the entire point of the game is to shift the victory condition around and reveal the actual victory condition only when you are in a position to claim it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

quiggy posted:

root loving owns and i'd be lying if i said i hadn't initially been interested in oath because it's the same designer, but as i've learned the rules and watched let's plays and stuff it seems like a very interesting thing and i'm very excited to put it in front of my group. just not looking forward to, y'know, teaching it

Strong rec from me to play Eclipse: Second Dawn in that case if you're ever feeling something meatier.

It's a great sweet spot imo. The biggest thing it has going is that it's a fully fledged 4x implementation that doesn't take an entire weekend to play. Don't get me wrong, it can get long, but not Twilight Imperium long.

quiggy posted:

FMguru posted:

indeed, the entire point of the game is to shift the victory condition around and reveal the actual victory condition only when you are in a position to claim it

That's exactly what makes teaching Inis harder than it should be.

The game concepts are easy (Read The Fun Card and do what it says, movement is generally unrestricted besides causing combat), but new players consistently struggle with the concept of presence vs chieftain ("wait I thought I had to be chieftain of 6 sanctuaries" or "oh I thought I had to be chieftain of 6 enemy clans in the same territory") and generally get the win conditions mixed up.

That being said, I still 100% recommend Inis to your less boardgamey friends/family. If you ever hear someone try to suggest Risk, throw Inis at 'em. I'd describe my brother as basically allergic to most of my collection, but he loves Inis and actually asked if we could teach it to friends of his.