Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

EricBauman posted:

it's not swift doing it.
it's just the single bank that all of crypto uses for wires, so it just looks like the whole world is halting them

decentralization strikes again

be your owned bank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

EricBauman posted:

it's not swift doing it.
it's just the single bank that all of crypto uses for wires, so it just looks like the whole world is halting them

decentralization strikes again

:wrong:

the centralized every-exchange-in-crypto-uses-them bank is Silvergate Bank which is based in California, this article is Signature Bank in NY

e: actually it sounds like it's only Signature specifically which is refusing to send consumer victims' money to scammers now, neither SWIFT nor other any other banks are involved

bloomberg posted:

“One of our fiat banking partners, Signature Bank, has advised that it will no longer support any of its crypto exchange customers with buying and selling amounts of less than 100,000 USD as of February 1, 2023. This is the case for all of their crypto exchange clients. As a result, some individual users may not be able to use SWIFT bank transfers to buy or sell crypto with/for USD for amounts less than 100,000 USD,” Binance said in a statement sent to Bloomberg News on Saturday.
No other banking partners are impacted, a Binance spokesperson said. SWIFT is a network used by financial institutions to transmit information and instructions.

[...]

Binance said it’s “actively working to find an alternative solution,” in the statement. And that “0.01% of our average monthly users are serviced by Signature Bank.”

much less funny :smith:

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jan 22, 2023

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

FAUXTON posted:

be your owned bank

Shumagorath posted:

buttcoin: be your owned bank

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

lol

usdt should link to /dev/null though
it's a flat file (so it shouldn't be there at all) and its size is zero
:goonsay:

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

:wrong:

the centralized every-exchange-in-crypto-uses-them bank is Silvergate Bank which is based in California, this article is Signature Bank in NY

e: actually it sounds like it's only Signature specifically which is refusing to send consumer victims' money to scammers now, neither SWIFT nor other any other banks are involved

much less funny :smith:

omg they're not gonna let anyone with under $100K sell either

i hope they at least get to pick what color bag they get to hold

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
if it was really 0.01% and there were no further consequences, binance wouldn't be responding to this at all.

there have been times entire countries have banned transfers to them that they didn't even address, so why address this very small thing now?

i know they all bank with silvergate, but signature must be used for something important if they feel the need to publicly address this issue.

maybe silvergate is used for ach and they use signature for international wires by americans to the international entities that americans aren't actually allowed to use but obviously do use?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
is pirat eat 40 out of prison yet?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

wasn’t Fraudo claiming he was down to his last 100k ?

https://twitter.com/silvermanjacob/status/1617015071363801090?s=46&t=TX1He0r5XlhAwKGNkro_6w

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

That's how bad at accounting he is.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/techmeme/status/1616867309326577664?s=46&t=bapPWGmIMFN8SM5kHod5rw

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

njsykora posted:

if you watch one gaming video on youtube your recommendations suddenly get filled with the loving worst poo poo like "LIBS TRIGGERED BY FAILURE OF WOKE VELMA", likewise if you watch a single theme park video it decides you're super interested in anything tagged as disney, though that one actually worked as i got to see a bunch of hilarious videos of the most hateful middle aged child-free motherfuckers on the planet complaining about how they feel like they're getting ripped off paying $2k a night for top tier hotel rooms at disney world

what kind of loving youtube are you guys using because this never happens to me.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Neito posted:

what kind of loving youtube are you guys using because this never happens to me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

njsykora posted:

if you watch one gaming video on youtube your recommendations suddenly get filled with the loving worst poo poo like "LIBS TRIGGERED BY FAILURE OF WOKE VELMA", likewise if you watch a single theme park video it decides you're super interested in anything tagged as disney, though that one actually worked as i got to see a bunch of hilarious videos of the most hateful middle aged child-free motherfuckers on the planet complaining about how they feel like they're getting ripped off paying $2k a night for top tier hotel rooms at disney world

this doesn't happen to me. maybe stop watching weird conservative videos and this won't happen to you

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

that's exactly what I would claim if I'm trying to hide money yes

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

sam doesnt have time for commas

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Neito posted:

you've done a better job of concealing that you post here from The Algorithm, the second youtube knows you're a goon you're gonna get flooded with Defunctland recs

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Hammerite posted:

is pirat eat 40 out of prison yet?

did anyone say pirateat40 years in prison yet?

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

buttcoin: you must invest THIS MUCH to get off this ride

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I suspect the people who get freak poo poo after a single gaming video are the people who ARE trying to suppress the algorithm. If the site doesn’t know what you like to watch it’ll throw the kitchen sink at you, and that includes videos from shitheads. I just let the algorithm do its thing for me and now I don’t even use my subscribed page, the home page gives me everything I need. It’s the only place an algorithm-driven approach mostly worked out for me. It’s insulated me from getting all my suggestions flooded with bitcoin crap because of this thread, at the very least.

You do get the funny thing of watching a new kind of subject and then YouTube is clearly like “a new subject?! But how much do they like it?! Suggest videos like that until we know!!”. It’s desperate that way.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
It’s optimizing for engagement, so in the absence of clear preferences it shows you the stuff that does best overall. Unfortunately that’s garbage that makes people mad / gets shared on social media.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
al gore:argh:

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i once got recommended a video with an odd thumbnail and an even weirder title which i moused over to see the preview for like 10 seconds before going "what the gently caress" and moving to something else. youtube somehow figured i loved that poo poo and spent the next 5 days or so recommending me similar extremely hosed up fetish stuff a lot of which i assumed wasn't even allowed. a good chunk of them had literally millions of views so they've probably been reported before, but i guess they're pretty profitable so lol if you think youtube's going to enforce anything

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

this doesn't happen to me. maybe stop watching weird conservative videos and this won't happen to you

idk why people feel the need to defend youtube's algorithm like this whenever it comes up but i definitely will get tucker carlson's "this buttplug sure is uncomfortable" face on the sidebar now and then and i really carefully curate what i watch to keep the poo poo out

maybe you don't get that, maybe you don't notice that, idk, it definitely happens though

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

shame on an IGA posted:

you've done a better job of concealing that you post here from The Algorithm, the second youtube knows you're a goon you're gonna get flooded with Defunctland recs

what's wrong with defunctland :ohdear:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

i can only care about old rear end amusement park rides or the evolution of the disney channel's customer service line hold music so much. for about 15 seconds, it turns out.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
at some point I turned off the setting that adds videos you watch to the history your recs are based on, so mine are only based on searches I've made and it seems ok

looks like it's google account -> youtube history -> include videos you watch

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

No I won’t (I’ve already watched all the defunctland videos)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

haveblue posted:

at some point I turned off the setting that adds videos you watch to the history your recs are based on, so mine are only based on searches I've made and it seems ok

looks like it's google account -> youtube history -> include videos you watch

lol i think i did this too since i get a bunch of conan and norm recs

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Web3IsGoingGreat.com posted:

In a spin attempt rivaling those of Olympic gymnasts, Nexo wrote that the large fine was good, actually: "Nexo believes that the company has been recognized for what it truly is - a pioneer, like Uber and Airbnb, providing disruptive solutions in a fast-paced environment," they wrote.

good to see some of the classics making a comeback

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

this is good advice, if you interpret "not one single coin" as "not a single one of these are worth calling investments"

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

Nothing. The FastPass one was legitimately riveting. It had multiple actual twists.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Doom Mathematic posted:

Nothing. The FastPass one was legitimately riveting. It had multiple actual twists.

lol the second twist sent a shiver down my spine

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

the 30minute segment they dedicated to "fartpass" was unnecessary imo

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

SubG posted:

code:
# ls -l /dev/coin/

total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Jan 01 00:23 bnb -> usdt
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Jan 01 00:23 btc -> usdt
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Jan 01 00:23 doge -> usdt
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Jan 01 00:23 eth -> usdt
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Jan 01 00:24 matic -> usdt
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 0 Jan 01 00:23 usdt
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Jan 01 00:23 xrp -> usdt

SubG posted:

it's a flat file (so it shouldn't be there at all) and its size is zero
:goonsay:

more like
code:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Jan 01 00:23 usdt -> usdt

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Pigbuster posted:

I suspect the people who get freak poo poo after a single gaming video are the people who ARE trying to suppress the algorithm. If the site doesn’t know what you like to watch it’ll throw the kitchen sink at you, and that includes videos from shitheads. I just let the algorithm do its thing for me and now I don’t even use my subscribed page, the home page gives me everything I need. It’s the only place an algorithm-driven approach mostly worked out for me. It’s insulated me from getting all my suggestions flooded with bitcoin crap because of this thread, at the very least.

You do get the funny thing of watching a new kind of subject and then YouTube is clearly like “a new subject?! But how much do they like it?! Suggest videos like that until we know!!”. It’s desperate that way.

Yeah I think it's this. I watch just shitloads of those "restore an old object" videos and gardening videos and other innocuous stuff and I have to assume there's so much of it that drowns out any weird signals from the occasional questionable one, because I hardly ever see any.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
those videos aren't real, they take a perfectly fine garden and smash it up and play the footage in reverse

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Grace Baiting posted:

more like
code:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Jan 01 00:23 usdt -> usdt

I feel like it should be write only for the user, too.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

go play outside Skyler posted:

did anyone say pirateat40 years in prison yet?

i wanted to make a "pirateat40, outofprisonat60" joke and then i googled whats up with the guy, and it turns out that the man could get away with just paying the fines, but he is ignoring the court, hasn't paid even the piddly 6x400 bucks and now they want to put him in prison

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/litigation/bitcoin-ponzi-operator-ordered-imprisoned-for-civil-contempt

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

4lokos basilisk posted:

i wanted to make a "pirateat40, outofprisonat60" joke and then i googled whats up with the guy, and it turns out that the man could get away with just paying the fines, but he is ignoring the court, hasn't paid even the piddly 6x400 bucks and now they want to put him in prison

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/litigation/bitcoin-ponzi-operator-ordered-imprisoned-for-civil-contempt

gonna make a "it's the principal of the thing" joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

4lokos basilisk posted:

uh reading that article they also want the $40 million back