Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
expertly done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

lmao

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Lol

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
mother of god

post this to masto so's i can boost it or w/e

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
really sticks the landing, my god

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lol

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

well, im loling

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Kenny Logins posted:

mother of god

post this to masto so's i can boost it or w/e

tooted

i wish i knew the source. absolutely incredible

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

absolute perfection

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i went to buy a tayne pin and they're sold out

dang

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I watched Skinamarink yesterday and I'm STILL thinking about it. tentative best movie of 2023 for me already, I can't get over it. it's absolutely not for everyone but I can't stop thinking about it

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I would describe it as the cursed video from The Ring except it's an hour and a half long. if that sounds good to you absolutely watch it

I would pay a bunch of money for a VHS copy of it

SmokaDustbowl fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 23, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
lmao bold claim 22 days in

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Beeftweeter posted:

I did a double feature yesterday of Skinamarink and The Banshees of Inisherin lol. both were amazing, but Skinamarink is cursed as gently caress. Skinamarink is just so experimental I have nobody to talk about it with lmao

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

this just seems to be evoking lizard brain fear. Like waking up at night as a kid and hearing weird sounds and being afraid to stay in bed but also afraid to run to your parents room

it sounds like fever dreams of have when I was a kid

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

this just seems to be evoking lizard brain fear. Like waking up at night as a kid and hearing weird sounds and being afraid to stay in bed but also afraid to run to your parents room

it sounds like fever dreams of have when I was a kid

the grainy quality and long shots on nothing also gets your brain to start playing tricks, trying to see things that aren't there

I also really liked the audio work, the slow crunchy footsteps on carpet and the clicking of toys, and the hosed up cartoons

SmokaDustbowl fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 23, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Beeftweeter posted:

everything everywhere all at once was less than 90 days into last year, it can happen

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I'm totally serious when I say Skinamarink is 90 minutes of The Ring tape. if that sounds good to you, you'll love it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mbo5vHy8dw

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

haveblue posted:

everything everywhere all at once was less than 90 days into last year, it can happen

drat your right i do need to watch that again

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
also if you're a normie absolutely make sure you see Banshees of Inisherin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaPa6NspXuI

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
double feature of Skinamatink and Banshees of Inisherin was NOT a good idea

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRu3zLOJN2c

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Agile Vector posted:

tooted

i wish i knew the source. absolutely incredible
ty av

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

my rap sheet lol

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

smoka i'll accept your challenge and watch skinamarink tonight, it sounds intriguing and i love extremely hosed up and disturbing stuff

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
who’s gonna tell smoka they didn’t watch a movie just feeds from the other apartments in their building

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Lmfao

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I’m about 2/3 through skinamarink and i read the creator’s inspiration for it, and I guess it does capture that spooky feeling you had as a kid when you would walk around the house at night, whether to use the washroom, get some water, or because you had a nightmare. everything is familiar, yet not. shadows from a nightlight or a glowing tv make normal everyday objects appear strange and unrecognizable.

but i think it would be far more effective as a short film. there isn’t enough here to justify a 90 minute run time. there is no narrative, not even an obtuse one. the long drawn out shots aren’t engaging enough to justify them. there doesn’t need to be that many close up shots of lego. maybe it’s better when you’re stoned but the aesthetic overstayed its welcome.

completely nitpicky but the faux dusty film effect makes no sense for something that apparently takes place in 1995. should have used vhs artifacts instead

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

i just had the pleasure of showing my partner terminator 2 for the first time. i think it still holds up beautifully. they liked it. generally but the number one complaint is “the time travel makes no sense” which ok.

i always thought of myself as a john connor but in my 30s i feel sarah so much more

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

this weekend I watched princess mononoke for the first time, with my kids. it was fantastic. i couldn’t help but notice the similarities in how the gross organic fluid was animated in the same style as akira - turns out both films had the same key animator.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Casual Encountess posted:

i just had the pleasure of showing my partner terminator 2 for the first time. i think it still holds up beautifully. they liked it. generally but the number one complaint is “the time travel makes no sense” which ok.

Maybe it's nostalgia speaking but T2 and Aliens are still the greatest action movies of all time in my book.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

TOOT BOOT posted:

Maybe it's nostalgia speaking but T2 and Aliens are still the greatest action movies of all time in my book.

Fury Road
Aliens
Hard Boiled/The Killer (impossible to decide which it better)

thats my top 3

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

bump_fn posted:

who’s gonna tell smoka they didn’t watch a movie just feeds from the other apartments in their building

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

polyester concept posted:

this weekend I watched princess mononoke for the first time, with my kids. it was fantastic. i couldn’t help but notice the similarities in how the gross organic fluid was animated in the same style as akira - turns out both films had the same key animator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zffC9MrLgsU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
pssst it's capitalism

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

bump_fn posted:

lmao IR-lit, grainy, v-tearing securicam footage of a bundled, semi-human figure taking a poo poo on a staircase landing.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

NoneMoreNegative posted:

a bundled, semi-human figure taking a poo poo on a staircase landing.

SmokaDustbowl posted:

pssst it's capitalism

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Achmed Jones posted:

never heard of him, thank you! any specific recommendations of where to start after my jarmusch stint?
personal faves are Take Care of Your Scarf Tatjana, Man Without a Past, and of course Leningrad Cowboys Go America.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

After Hours (1985), dir. Martin Scorsese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,