Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cold on a Cob posted:

hi i'm not a security researcher but if i was "examining" something like this my first thought is to do it on an airgapped pc with a clean install of windows and whatever tools i need to study it. i wouldn't have discord installed on it. lol. lmao.

Well you are a rational person, not a student of cybersecurity :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Lol at writing a disaster recovery plan for some ms paint drawings. Guys we had to restore from backup be sure to check all your pixels.

But also discord should have some protection for the "nuke account" feature. A 24 hour countdown with notifications.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cold on a Cob posted:

youtubers that have lost control of their channels have had everything restored. i wonder if that's possible with discord. there are differences though, like youtubers bring in money to google, not sure free discord users do?

seems like an easy upsell feature for a paid discord server

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cold on a Cob posted:

youtubers that have lost control of their channels have had everything restored. i wonder if that's possible with discord. there are differences though, like youtubers bring in money to google, not sure free discord users do?

just get 3 more people to boost your discord server and you unlock "our support will make a ticket for it"

5 more after that and we might do something!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Guy Axlerod posted:

Lol at writing a disaster recovery plan for some ms paint drawings. Guys we had to restore from backup be sure to check all your pixels.

it's not ms paint drawings, it's fanfiction about someone else's ms paint drawings

e: if you don't already know, ms paint adventures is just homestuck. i mean it's other things too, but nobody cares about those (especially not in 2023)

Guy Axlerod posted:

But also discord should have some protection for the "nuke account" feature. A 24 hour countdown with notifications.

yeah if your discord server has more than a certain small amount of users it should have one of those rules like for buying guns where you have to wait 3 days so your murderous urges have a chance to dissipate

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 23, 2023

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Slashrat posted:

Imagining the wild alternate reality in which self-taught Infectious Disease Researchers also think it's fine to examine samples of Ebola in their living room
yeah, no scientists would ever be super casual in their experiments, especially when they know they're handling hazardous materials. imagine if you had a thing your coworkers had named the demon core and you were gonna gently caress around with it for funsies and show off, obviously as a professional you'd take extra care knowing the dangers. hubris? that only applies to people who don't know what they're doing

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 23, 2023

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

you don’t even have to go to the demon core, there’s a long history of scientists accidentally or deliberately infecting themselves with the diseases they were studying or treating

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Bhodi posted:

yeah, no scientists would ever be super casual in their experiments, especially when they know they're handling hazardous materials. imagine if you had a thing your coworkers had named the demon core and you were gonna gently caress around with it for funsies and show off, obviously as a professional you'd take extra care knowing the dangers. hubris? that only applies to people who don't know what they're doing

that wasn't in their living room though.

they saved working there for special occasions

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

there's a picture of them actually assembling the pit in the house in this book i have but i can't find it online. it's great cuz they basically just like, put up some tarps and declared it a cleanroom lmao

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Shame Boy posted:

serious question: how does one make a disaster plan for a discord? now that everyone's moving everything off the internet and into closed little discord boxes i get the feeling that a hell of a lot of important poo poo is just one click away from being obliterated forever

I figure that if there's any important irreplaceable data, then a bot would download and archive it. Same plan if, maybe, discord itself decided to kick the bucket or get hacked itself.

Also, if losing discord creds was going to be real bad, then people would probably take better care of them.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Heroes Never Die

Shame Boy posted:

serious question: how does one make a disaster plan for a discord? now that everyone's moving everything off the internet and into closed little discord boxes i get the feeling that a hell of a lot of important poo poo is just one click away from being obliterated forever

I have one discord server that gets used for roleplaying that my friends and I don't want to lose. I wrote a bot that archives a channel whenever we finish an RP session and backs it up in a database. Everything important is backed up there.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I was wondering why they couldn't just ask discord administration to undelete the server after proving their identity, and that's further down the thread

looks like discord was able to return control to him, but they don't store chat history indefinitely so much of the content of the server is gone even after the structure is recreated

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

sb hermit posted:

if losing discord creds was going to be real bad, then people would probably take better care of them.

lmao my sweet summer child

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Cold on a Cob posted:

hi i'm not a security researcher but if i was "examining" something like this my first thought is to do it on an airgapped pc with a clean install of windows and whatever tools i need to study it. i wouldn't have discord installed on it. lol. lmao.

otoh if someone sent me a large zip containing a couple of things, one of them a binary i wanted to investigate on my airgapped machine, but also a huge verifier log i didn't need to transfer, i could easily see myself opening the zip to move the binary onto whatever medium i use to get things to my secure pc. and then id feel real stupid when I accidentally double click, but not so stupid that i couldnt imagine how i could have made it happen.

this sort of thing is why smartscreen and the like exists after all, 7zip should integrate with it.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

this sort of thing is why smartscreen and the like exists after all, 7zip should integrate with it.

yeah i'm sure igor will get right on that, lol

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

otoh if someone sent me a large zip containing a couple of things, one of them a binary i wanted to investigate on my airgapped machine, but also a huge verifier log i didn't need to transfer, i could easily see myself opening the zip to move the binary onto whatever medium i use to get things to my secure pc. and then id feel real stupid when I accidentally double click, but not so stupid that i couldnt imagine how i could have made it happen.

even better might be to use a script or the command line to make sure you're doing the correct poo poo before you hit enter.

But I guess that would mean actually using linux on a desktop

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

sb hermit posted:

even better might be to use a script or the command line to make sure you're doing the correct poo poo before you hit enter.

But I guess that would mean actually using linux on a desktop

ultimately it is a bad workflow, but sometimes i think these things are all the more common because people are a touch quick to go "lol how can you be so stupid" when they're likely also a keystroke or two away from catastrophe in their own workflow if critically examined.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

though, also (this being yospos): lol

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.
Encrypting the malware before moving it anywhere is standard operating procedure to render the payload inert. Always do this first if it wasn't received that way (and if it's not being received that way, ask yourself what the hell you're really doing lest you be like my security engineering friend).

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ultimately it is a bad workflow, but sometimes i think these things are all the more common because people are a touch quick to go "lol how can you be so stupid" when they're likely also a keystroke or two away from catastrophe in their own workflow if critically examined.

though, also (this being yospos): lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think people are also just bad at anticipating the possibility that they might make a mistake

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
If you are the kind of dipshit that runs a virus on a prod machine, there is no excuse to not set up this https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/windows-sandbox/windows-sandbox-overview

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

do you actually think the person was thinking ahead?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Achmed Jones posted:

do you actually think the person was thinking ahead?

He was an admin on a mspaint discord so no.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

pseudorandom name posted:

you don’t even have to go to the demon core, there’s a long history of scientists accidentally or deliberately infecting themselves with the diseases they were studying or treating

Hey university admin, we want to build the first fission reactor in history, where can we tamper with primal forces mankind has never before unleashed?

"Ehh, nobody's really using the football stadium much anymore"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
squash court you mean come on

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

squash court you mean come on

i looked it up because i remembered it different too but no it was in fact last used as a football field before they built the pile

e: ok wait i see where i got mixed up, the field itself was used for football, the area under the stands where they built the reactor was used for squash

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 23, 2023

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
listen when youve got new physics to invent you just figure it out live

and you get a guy with an axe as backup in case things go wrong if you follow back the etymology of SCRAM

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

look it's just a pile of graphite bricks okay

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Potato Salad posted:

The core security issue is that we do things with computers, and poo poo would dramatically improve once we stop doing things with computers.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Slashrat posted:

Imagining the wild alternate reality in which self-taught Infectious Disease Researchers also think it's fine to examine samples of Ebola in their living room

I have what may be interesting news on how Natural Philosophers approached their subjects.

Bhodi posted:

It's this, but before anything was actually known so "YOLO" was in fact a perfectly valid and accepted premise.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i think the old professor guy from periodic videos once talked about how if you were doing chemistry in like, the 1700's / 1800's you were expected to do stuff like sniff the vapors of a reaction and taste stuff and and not wear safety equipment or protection at all ever because obviously the noble gentleman scientist must be brave and courageous to discover new truths at any cost

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

they taught us to lick the rocks in my college geology course.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i remember several chem labs where we were instructed to smell the reaction. they were always specifically like, "use your hand to waft some of the vapors toward your nose, don't just cram the beaker in your face and take a whiff". but you still had to smell it and write down what it smelled like

looking across generations: my mom claims to have mouth pipetted hiv

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

DELETE CASCADE posted:

looking across generations: my mom claims to have mouth pipetted hiv

Strangest way to describe a facial I've heard so far.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Volmarias posted:

Strangest way to describe a facial I've heard so far.

All these confusing loving science terms yeah.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

they taught us to lick the rocks in my college geology course.

that's fine, the rocks like it

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Shame Boy posted:

i looked it up because i remembered it different too but no it was in fact last used as a football field before they built the pile

e: ok wait i see where i got mixed up, the field itself was used for football, the area under the stands where they built the reactor was used for squash

it’s still more electrifying than the product most of the Big Ten uses their football fields for :shrug:

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://twitter.com/daxdives/status/1617052821077233666?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Heroes Never Die

Please tell me this is real