Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
cjs:

Pollyanna posted:

nm gently caress this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:same:

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

cjs: whew what a week..

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
This user is getting one more chance before I go all, "I'm not sitting right next to you. What the gently caress are you trying to do here?" in this ticket.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
where all my posters at?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

President Beep posted:

where all my posters at?

hey beep

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

President Beep posted:

where all my posters at?

are they not on your wall?

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
oh, right. sorrt. thought this was amazon support chat.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

peeb

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

probably get better results here

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I got a moderate amount of work done today, interviewed a fantastic candidate who I’m going to hire, and one candidate who googled every question I asked including “what are some things you personally like or don’t like about Kotlin”

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

peeb be upon you

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

leave for japan in a week. having lots of weird anxiety thoughts.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

and one candidate who googled every question I asked including “what are some things you personally like or don’t like about Kotlin”

this happened to me once and i had a good lol reading the wikipedia article along with him

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

KidDynamite posted:

bout what? the flight?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

PokeJoe posted:

this happened to me once and i had a good lol reading the wikipedia article along with him

brutal

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

CPColin posted:

This user is getting one more chance before I go all, "I'm not sitting right next to you. What the gently caress are you trying to do here?" in this ticket.

"please explain the problem step by step, as though I can't see what you're doing and all I know is what you write down in this ticket."

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

PokeJoe posted:

I ended up asking him a question that would be hard to google (“if you are using MVVM, what coroutine scope should you nearly always be using to perform network requests to fetch data to display in the fragment”) and he googled four things and gave up

my brother if you do not know, it is ok, I am trying to gauge your experience, not give you an exam

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

rotor posted:

"please explain the problem step by step, as though I can't see what you're doing and all I know is what you write down in this ticket."

copying this text for later use

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
peeb toucher

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

President Beep posted:

bout what? the flight?

surprisingly no. the cats, coming back to a layoff, weird weather causing a house emergency, a weird feeling i'm going to die on this trip, but not the flight.

weird brain.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

KidDynamite posted:

surprisingly no. the cats, coming back to a layoff, weird weather causing a house emergency, a weird feeling i'm going to die on this trip, but not the flight.

weird brain.

eh, makes sense to me. hooray for brain porblems.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

President Beep posted:

where all my posters at?

they’re called wallscrolls

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

KidDynamite posted:

i need to just pick a weekend to visit since it’s now an extremely easy flight

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

colonel_blake_death.txt

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

rotor posted:

can you just come over tho

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I ended up asking him a question that would be hard to google (“if you are using MVVM, what coroutine scope should you nearly always be using to perform network requests to fetch data to display in the fragment”) and he googled four things and gave up

my brother if you do not know, it is ok, I am trying to gauge your experience, not give you an exam
thinking about changing jobs and interviewing makes me nauseous out of fear of being this person

i know that's not fair to myself but general anxiety do be like that

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

thinking about changing jobs and interviewing makes me nauseous out of fear of being this person

i know that's not fair to myself but general anxiety do be like that

i mean, you wont be this person because you're not going to be treating your interview as an exam that you have to get a 100% on to move forward. outside of the FAANGs, interviews (at least, imo) exist to 1) see what you know and what you dont know, what you have experience in and what you dont, and what you personally like to work on and do 2) check ur vibes to see if youre cool. you, the candidate, should also be seeing if you like our vibes, are interested in the work that you'd be doing, and if the interviewers are assholes or not

personally my most used line at both work and at home is "i dont know, but let's find out together". then nobody thinks anyone is some megalithic archival being of knowledge and truth, and everyone learns the answer to a question that nobody knew before it was asked

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

that being said yeah i 100% loving hate being interviewed because i probably couldnt pass a coding interview about stupid loving algorithms i'll never use, and im not particularly interested in finding out if people are still doing those kind or if people are doing practical code interviews like i prefer where you ask the candidate to just build a 45min fart app to show me pictures of puppies from dog.ceo and tell me why they did it the way they did

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

im gonna go with the view model scope here bill

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

its a trick question none of the scopes work correctly because it's android :twisted:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

fizz buzz

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

hello world

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

i mean, you wont be this person because you're not going to be treating your interview as an exam that you have to get a 100% on to move forward
well, you say that :v:

(i get & agree with what you're saying ofc, and i'm better about it nowadays, but it's real hard for me not to see everything i possibly can as a personal pass/fail judgment. brain's an rear end in a top hat, whaddayagonnado)

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

you're hired

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

I've been interviewing and it is absolutely shocking how often people cannot do a fizzbuzz without a lot of prompting.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

lol, i could barely even type it

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it still surprises me after years of giving sometimes dozens of interviews a year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i don't think people learn logic anymore. they just learn to google for node.js modules and glue them together in the most superficial way.