Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

akadajet posted:

rolling your fingers across inputs to increase your odds of performing an action. you know, something that will cause inputs to maybe overlap

i feel like using lovely usb membrane keyboards for like 20 years has conditioned me against doing this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Beeftweeter posted:

i feel like using lovely usb membrane keyboards for like 20 years has conditioned me against doing this

it's a very satisfying thing to do on a stick but thinking about doing it on a keyboard makes me uneasy

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

mycophobia posted:

it's a very satisfying thing to do on a stick but thinking about doing it on a keyboard makes me uneasy

with a keyboard you can have 2 players with the same input device

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i guess if my hands were smaller i'd probably have attempted it more, but i've never really had a problem hitting something at the time i wanted to. it always seemed pretty obvious that rollover didn't work correctly, especially playing older racing games with a newer keyboard

akadajet posted:

i mean, i guess. maybe it's the hand size thing again but afaik i never really did this either, most two-player things are turn based

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah, the lovely, rusty old IBM n-key rollover keyboard was superior to p. much everything else when we were playing games with family when i was a kid. all the new shiny cheap keyboards were like 4-6 keys and then speaker would start to beep

i still use an ancient ps/2 n-key rollover keyboard now because videogames. still remember the kid me doing strafe+forward+run+jump in q2 and then want to swap weapon and speaker goes beep beep beep oh i'm dead lmfao

i guess modern keyboards do a custom device over USB now to do that but lol

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

that's... exactly what those do

But they run TOS in an emulator (which is of course very neat).

quote:

Beeftweeter eschaton posted:
use EmuTOS or FreeMiNT on Hatari on console as your desktop environment

I thought you eschaton was likely joking about "desktop environment". Or did he mean like running Hatari maximized on Ubuntu, and mounting your linux partition within TOS, and using the TOS/GEM file manager to browse linux files, maybe somehow obtain a list of installed linux applications from Ubuntu, somehow send a signal to Ubuntu to execute a given linux program (say like Gimp), then Ubuntu opens Gimp in a regular gnome window, which hopefully appears 'above' the maximized Hatari window?

Captain Pike fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 17, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

that was eschaton, not me, but i get your point. i don't really know enough about the various TOS offshoots to comment, but GEM is open source and has been for a really long time. some of the projects like hatari seem capable of doing at least some of that

unless you're looking for a GEM-like window manager? i haven't really looked for one and wouldn't even know where to start, but i'd be surprised if one didn't exist

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The kernel has a big hardcoded table of HID fixes and workarounds because "the executable binary of HID.SYS from Windows 10 or whatever" is the only actual specification that matters. Maybe something in there broke in a version of the kernel that is newer than what Debian is carrying.

There is a recent project to move that table out into BPF programs supplied from userspace so that these workarounds can be fixed faster than a typical kernel release cycle. But I don't think this mechanism has actually landed in any distribution kernel yet.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

pseudorandom name posted:

gamer keyboards implement N-key rollover by using a custom HID report descriptor that includes every single key instead of the HID Boot Protocol that can only do 6 plus modifiers; I wonder if there’s is particularly hosed up or if they do something stupid where they present a HID BP descriptor to the UEFI firmware and the. do a mode change when it detects windows and they’ve messed that up somehow

color me surprised that gamer keyboards need specialized n-key implementations

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

my homie dhall posted:

nah, its HID

HID is arbitrarily complex, too complex for a PC BIOS in 1996 to parse, so they defined three minor device classes -- generic devices that could be anything and require a full report descriptor parser to understand, and Boot Protocol Keyboards & Boot Protocol Mice

Boot Protocol devices don't even have HID Report descriptors, they implicitly use descriptors defined in the spec, and the keyboard descriptor defines 8 byte packets -- 6 one bye key codes, 8 one bit modifiers, and a padding byte.

for a long while it was impossible to get N-key rollover in USB HID so the gamers stayed with their PS2 keyboards, but eventually keyboard manufacturers started designing their own keyboard controllers which are generic HID devices that define reports large enough for every key on the keyboard simultaneously

except now you have the problem that your keyboard is using custom HID reports that your PC BIOS from 1996 can't understand, so there's generally something stupid involved in starting up as a Boot Protocol Keyboard and then switching to the N-key mode after the OS starts

edit: oh, and they way that it is supposed to work is that the keyboard comes up in normal full-featured mode and then the BIOS has to manually send a Set_Protocol request to switch it into Boot Protocol mode, except nobody implemented non-Boot Protocol keyboards for a while and as you can imagine all BIOSes are poo poo

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 17, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

wonder if its possible to implement an EFI DXE driver for something like that

i doubt anyone would go through the effort but i don't see why not

mystes
May 31, 2006

If the bioses can't handle generic hid devices couldn't the keyboard just act as two devices, one boot protocol and one generic, and then disable the boot protocol device once the os starts polling the generic device or something?

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"
pretty sure that's the most detailed and technically sound reply ever written to a 'gamers sure do say the forbidden word a whole lot' goof i've ever seen. impressive

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

mystes posted:

If the bioses can't handle generic hid devices couldn't the keyboard just act as two devices, one boot protocol and one generic, and then disable the boot protocol device once the os starts polling the generic device or something?

i think that's pretty much what pseudorandom was talking about

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

nah, its HID

HID is arbitrarily complex, too complex for a PC BIOS in 1996 to parse, so they defined three minor device classes -- generic devices that could be anything and require a full report descriptor parser to understand, and Boot Protocol Keyboards & Boot Protocol Mice

Boot Protocol devices don't even have HID Report descriptors, they implicitly use descriptors defined in the spec, and the keyboard descriptor defines 8 byte packets -- 6 one bye key codes, 8 one bit modifiers, and a padding byte.

for a long while it was impossible to get N-key rollover in USB HID so the gamers stayed with their PS2 keyboards, but eventually keyboard manufacturers started designing their own keyboard controllers which are generic HID devices that define reports large enough for every key on the keyboard simultaneously

except now you have the problem that your keyboard is using custom HID reports that your PC BIOS from 1996 can't understand, so there's generally something stupid involved in starting up as a Boot Protocol Keyboard and then switching to the N-key mode after the OS starts

edit: oh, and they way that it is supposed to work is that the keyboard comes up in normal full-featured mode and then the BIOS has to manually send a Set_Protocol request to switch it into Boot Protocol mode, except nobody implemented non-Boot Protocol keyboards for a while and as you can imagine all BIOSes are poo poo

whoosh

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

mycophobia posted:

anyways im just being a dick for no reason, sorry. not a good thing to try to derive joy from

I still remember id software games with the "nojoy" option but it just meant no joystick

who even plays doom with a joystick though

mystes
May 31, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

i think that's pretty much what pseudorandom was talking about
I might be misunderstanding but the only part that seemed to address compatibility workarounds was the last part ("edit: oh, and they way that it is supposed to work is that the keyboard comes up in normal full-featured mode and then the BIOS has to manually send a Set_Protocol request to switch it into Boot Protocol mode, except nobody implemented non-Boot Protocol keyboards for a while and as you can imagine all BIOSes are poo poo") but that seemed to be saying that it's the bios's responsibility to signal the keyboard to switch into the boot protocol mode and bioses fail to do that.

I was wondering if instead it would be possible to work around the problem on the side of the keyboard.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

akadajet posted:

I think the best game with keyboard multiplayer has got to be star control 2 melee

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

seriously

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

nah, its HID

hint: dhall was making a “gamer word” joke

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

mystes posted:

I might be misunderstanding but the only part that seemed to address compatibility workarounds was the last part ("edit: oh, and they way that it is supposed to work is that the keyboard comes up in normal full-featured mode and then the BIOS has to manually send a Set_Protocol request to switch it into Boot Protocol mode, except nobody implemented non-Boot Protocol keyboards for a while and as you can imagine all BIOSes are poo poo") but that seemed to be saying that it's the bios's responsibility to signal the keyboard to switch into the boot protocol mode and bioses fail to do that.

I was wondering if instead it would be possible to work around the problem on the side of the keyboard.

i'm not certain since it's not quite my wheelhouse (i have worked on EFI stuff before but not really USB) but i think they do this already by implementing their own controller. i know there's at least a mode switch in peripheral support when booting (on both EFI and BIOS; full USB support is not typically implemented or necessary) and that can be communicated to devices, but i don't know if these keyboards specifically do this. i would not be surprised though

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Voodoo Cafe posted:

pretty sure that's the most detailed and technically sound reply ever written to a 'gamers sure do say the forbidden word a whole lot' goof i've ever seen. impressive

normal people don't spend their time thinking about racist slurs my dude

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

my homie dhall posted:

lmao

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

nah, its HID

wish you HID t hi s post :cawg:

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

You missed a pretty obvious joke, take it on the chin

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

mystes posted:

yeah, that's the point of this whole conversation -- the original question was how could a keyboard gently caress things up so badly it doesn't work and the answer is there's a decent chance that gamer keyboards have weird heuristics specifically to work around this issue

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
HID's got a bunch of problems in general. Apart from the aforementioned Boot Protocol keyboard and mouse protocols, there really is no such thing as a "keyboard" or "mouse" or "gamepad" or anything like that, it's all just HID devices. You have a bunch of inputs and outputs, they have raw data ranges and various codes that define their meanings (they're called "Usages" because it wouldn't be a Microsoft standard if it didn't use the most bizarre and incomprehensible terminology they could come up with). So you have like "Keyboard e and E" but you also have things like just, "Button 1" or "Axis X". Is it a mouse or a joystick? "Well like, what really IS a mouse anyway, maaan?". Controls can be bundled up into logical groupings and those logical groupings can have their own usage codes so if it's inside a "Generic Desktop Page" then that's the closest thing to a reliable indication that you are in fact dealing with a keyboard or mouse.

This turns out to be a fairly major problem given that a keyboard is a device with the interesting characteristic that it is used to enter login credentials. So you don't want arbitrary applications to be able to read from those devices for obvious reasons, but if it's a gamepad then you don't care. As far as the Linux kernel is concerned though they're all just USB HIDs. Which is weird because it can comprehend HID report descriptors and decode HID packets just fine, it has a bunch of mechanisms for decoding USB usage codes into its own proprietary event packet codes after all. But for whatever reason it doesn't send a "this is something that Windows would consider to be a keyboard" device attribute to udev. So dealing with game controllers under Linux is more of a pain than it needs to be.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

quote:

Note
A general note on Usages and languages: Due to the variation of keyboards from language
to language, it is not feasible to specify exact key mappings for every language. Where this list is not
specific for a key function in a language, the closest equivalent key position should be used, so that a
keyboard may be modified for a different language by simply printing different keycaps. One example
is the Y key on a North American keyboard. In Germany this is typically Z. Rather than changing the
keyboard firmware to put the Z Usage into that place in the descriptor list, the vendor should use the Y
Usage on both the North American and German keyboards. This continues to be the existing practice in
the industry, in order to minimize the number of changes to the electronics to accommodate other
languages.

gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Probably because Windows has concept of a "top-level collection", which is not something that explicitly exists in the HID standard, and Linux just has a concept of a HID device. A TLC is just a logical control grouping that isn't embedded inside some other logical control grouping. So you can have keyboards that have keyboard-y bits, which get exclusively locked by the Windows GUI subsystem, and then you can have some other TLCs that do other things which unprivileged applications can open and read from freely. But to Linux it's all one HID and access to it is an all-or-nothing affair.

Best of all, HID devices are special compared to other USB devices, because under Windows you can access them relatively easily, you can just call SETUPAPI to list all of the HIDs in the system and then you look for your shitass device's VID/PID combination and open a file descriptor on it directly. Any other kind of device requires a kernel driver, which these days needs to be reviewed and counter-signed by Microsoft. Or you can use WinUSB for USB devices, but even then you have to write an INF file and then deal with WIndows' plug-and-play bullshit where your user will inevitably plug it in the hardware before installing its corresponding software and you'll get a confusing Unknown Device error.

So yeah people often used USB HID to smuggle firmware updates because like hell anybody wants to deal with the bullshit of making a legitimate Windows device driver if they can avoid it. Just have a 64-byte "output" descriptor (the maximum size allowed for USB "interrupt" endpoints) and send 1000 of those per second (the maximum polling interval allowed for USB "interrupt" endpoints. Yes, "interrupt" endpoints are polled, shush) for a blistering transfer rate of 63 decimal kilobytes per second (the first byte must be a report ID, devices are allowed to define multiple report packet formats so they can use different packets to report changes on different sets of inputs/outputs). I guess technically USB HID also allows you to immediately force-poll reports via USB control messages instead of interrupt packets, but that probably isn't significantly quicker since control messages are usually used for things like device discovery and address assignment and are generally designed to be extensible instead of performant.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

lol, is that really a common way of doing firmware updates? that sounds, uh, unreliable

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
I wrote a USB-based firmware updater that worked driverless on Windows, but I used the USB serial-port device class. Worked great.

GadgetFS on the target device presented an ACM serial port. Worked with no special drivers on Windows 10 and 11.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

that sounds like a more sane way of doing it tbh, i was thinking something along those lines would be better actually. i've never heard of anything using HID for it though but admittedly i don't really monitor that kind of poo poo anyway

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

post hole digger posted:

wish you HID t hi s post :cawg:

:drat:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Captain Pike posted:

I really do wish this was possible. I wanna run GEM on linux. :(

that’s why I said to run EmuTOS or FreeMiNT on Hatari

it’s an emulator

so run the emulator fullscreen on console from your .login and just live in the Atari Extended Universe, and pop over to an alt console any time you need to tweak anything Linux-side or use a (gross) browser

hell I think Hatari even has MIDI support now, and someone made a USB stack for the ST that it supports too…

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

“normal people” who post in the pos lol

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

im err a normal person

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
im a hosed up little freak

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

mycophobia posted:

im a hosed up little freak

What a loving loser. I’m a hosed up tall freak. :smug:

Seven Force
Nov 9, 2005

WARNING!

BOSS IS APPROACHING!!!

SEVEN FORCE

--ACTIONS--

SHITPOSTING

LOVE LOVE DANCING

I'm a freak because I finally made the jump to Linux in 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Seven Force posted:

I'm a freak because I finally made the jump to Linux in 2023

well thank god your terminal can tell you if your screen resolution or widget toolkit changes

Soricidus posted:

“normal people” who post in the pos lol

i have been playing around with GNUStep lmao