Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Listen to me very closely, you idiot.

YOU DO NOT THINK IN SUFFICIENT DETAIL ABOUT SUPERINTELLIGENCES CONSIDERING WHETHER OR NOT TO BLACKMAIL YOU. THAT IS THE ONLY POSSIBLE THING WHICH GIVES THEM A MOTIVE TO FOLLOW THROUGH ON THE BLACKMAIL.

You have to be really clever to come up with a genuinely dangerous thought. I am disheartened that people can be clever enough to do that and not clever enough to do the obvious thing and KEEP THEIR IDIOT MOUTHS SHUT about it, because it is much more important to sound intelligent when talking to your friends.

This post was STUPID.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

ive never understood the basilisk thing. why's it any different for an ai than a human dictator? once it exists why does the ai care?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

if it doesn't follow through, then nobody would feel compelled to build it (because it won't follow through)

yes it's very dumb, and once the thing exists the above explanation doesn't make much sense

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
what if i simply do not build the ai, because i don't want to torture "me"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

1. ‎Sexton Blake bibliography ‎[662,333 bytes]
2. ‎List of Hindi songs recorded by Asha Bhosle ‎[645,684 bytes]
3. ‎Sexton Blake bibliography (1900–1999) ‎[635,573 bytes]
4. ‎Tawag ng Tanghalan (season 6) ‎[605,942 bytes]
5. ‎List of battles by geographic location ‎[572,936 bytes]
6. ‎List of Gunsmoke television episodes ‎[568,695 bytes]
7. ‎List of 2021–22 NBA season transactions ‎[562,297 bytes]
8. ‎2022 in science ‎[551,790 bytes]
9. ‎Municipal history of Quebec ‎[551,428 bytes]
10. ‎List of common misconceptions ‎[544,841 bytes]
11. ‎Firefox version history ‎[540,827 bytes]
12. ‎Same-sex union legislation ‎[536,997 bytes]
13. ‎Opinion polling for the 2015 United Kingdom general election ‎[534,183 bytes]
14. ‎Results of the 2022 Swedish general election by constituency ‎[529,550 bytes]
15. ‎2022 in video games ‎[523,730 bytes]
16. ‎Nationwide opinion polling for the 2016 United States presidential election ‎[517,935 bytes]
17. ‎Glossary of baseball terms ‎[512,589 bytes]
18. ‎Presidency of Rodrigo Duterte ‎[511,587 bytes]
19. ‎Criminal proceedings in the January 6 United States Capitol attack ‎[506,695 bytes]
20. ‎Presidency of Donald Trump ‎[506,162 bytes]

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

distortion park posted:

ive never understood the basilisk thing. why's it any different for an ai than a human dictator? once it exists why does the ai care?

because a nerd invented a religion and nothing grabs the heart like new faith.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Years later, Wilder noted "I think there are more books on Marilyn Monroe than there are on World War 2, and there's a great similarity."[29]

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

distortion park posted:

it's pascal's wager for people who've never read a book

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

fool of sound posted:

andrew tate totally believes in romy and michelle’s basilisk

https://youtu.be/qzpgqrzZ-KE

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

fool of sound posted:

it's pascal's wager for people who have written a whole bunch of blog posts about pascal's wager, variants of the concept, and made a whole bunch of analogies showing how various things can be reduced to pascal's wager, and still somehow didn't realize that it's just one of those

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Plorkyeran posted:

it's pascal's wager for people who have written a whole bunch of blog posts about pascal's wager, variants of the concept, and made a whole bunch of analogies showing how various things can be reduced to pascal's wager, and still somehow didn't realize that it's just one of those

Also Newcomb's paradox, because the idea that a sufficiently powerful intelligence can create a simulation of you that's equivalent to the real person is a key point of the basilisk.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

darthbob88 posted:

Also Newcomb's paradox, because the idea that a sufficiently powerful intelligence can create a simulation of you that's equivalent to the real person is a key point of the basilisk.

the real crux of it is the idea that if an AI creates a simulation of you in the future, that counts as "you" contiguous with the "you" that you experience being today, so the you of today should care about the fate of the simulation. I don't know what the argument is for this but I feel like they only believe this because you need it for all the other transhumanism stuff to work (mind uploading, artificial brains, etc)

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I thought the point was that if simulations of you are possible then chances are statistically you're a simulation and you might end up getting tortured

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

haveblue posted:

the real crux of it is the idea that if an AI creates a simulation of you in the future, that counts as "you" contiguous with the "you" that you experience being today, so the you of today should care about the fate of the simulation. I don't know what the argument is for this but I feel like they only believe this because you need it for all the other transhumanism stuff to work (mind uploading, artificial brains, etc)
I think most of the argument for it is Yudkowsky has a very firm opinion of the correct answer to Newcomb's paradox, and timeless decision theory is motivated reasoning to explain why he is correct and anyone who disagrees is wrong.

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

I thought the point was that if simulations of you are possible then chances are statistically you're a simulation and you might end up getting tortured
Also yes. When somebody comes around asking for donations to make AI happen faster, there are two possibilities- A) You're in the real world, and the donation-asker will go away when you say no. Or, B) You're in a simulation, and if you say no, God the AI will torture (simulated) you forever. You can't tell whether you're in a simulation or not, so best not risk it.

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

haveblue posted:

Anti abortion rhetoric liquified brains

This ruling class has the weakest loving self justifying philosophy (ideology?)

I think it's both dull and fascinating watching it re-develop. After years of the possession of money being self fulfilling, just pure cult of power itself, now they feel the need for a new argument! Nothing new left fellas

At least that's my impression, I'm zooted

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

what have i done

basilisk deez nuts

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
roko’s modern basilisk

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jabberlock posted:

what have i done

basilisk deez nuts

basil liskma balls

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

distortion park posted:

Clarke's Law holds that any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Less Wrongers turn that on it's head and take it to the extreme where if its indistinguishable from magic, it can be assumed to be omniscient and omnipotent (see, for example, The Metamorphosis of Prime Intellect).

Any challenge to their faith in this yet-to-awaken machine god is drowned out with assertions that ain't zeros to numbers stacks the odds against the critics.

The problem, as I'm sure you've realized by now, is that it's really loving stupid. You can't make a stupid premise true by piling large numbers on top of it, but that's what they do because it's not just the belief system, at the core of it, they're really loving stupid.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 23, 2023

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

well that’s loving stupid

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
why would the ai even bother tho. you have no way of knowing if it even bothers to simulate you or not so it doesn’t make any difference and why would it waste the resources when it could be doing something interesting.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
as gwbbq noted the core premise of all of this is that the ai is god and has infinite resources

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

why would an unfathomably advanced and complex ai even be motivated enough to torture, or not torture? if its something that human minds can not by definition understand then human minds should also not assume that it will act like their projected ideas assume

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

they think an ai god would torture everyone who did not support them because that is what they would do if they were god
because they are assholes and assume everyone else is as well

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Plorkyeran posted:

as gwbbq noted the core premise of all of this is that the ai is god and has infinite resources

ah, is this the usual fallacy where nerds assume that an infinite number of possibilities implies that every possibility happens?

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

science fiction tends to assume that advanced AI is indifferent to the needs or desires of humans, much like how we regard insects or bacteria.

in reality, a sufficiently advanced ai would quickly realize that torturing humans is ineffective, and would instead try to render us placid by providing us with everything we need or want.

basically im saying that the matrix got it right

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I like the iain m. banks theory, which is that any sufficiently advanced AI would immediately bail out of this universe entirely

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
any sufficiently advanced friendly ai would go "holy loving poo poo you people are so goddamn stupid even by your own standards; you're like a plague of locusts upon this planet and god help the galaxy if you ever leave this gravity well" and then proceed to figure out if we can be fixed or if we should just all be sterilized and put out of our misery in the kindest way possible

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

any sufficiently advanced friendly ai would go "holy loving poo poo you people are so goddamn stupid even by your own standards; you're like a plague of locusts upon this planet and god help the galaxy if you ever leave this gravity well" and then proceed to figure out if we can be fixed or if we should just all be sterilized and put out of our misery in the kindest way possible

leaving a single ai back on the moon, mouthless, as a joke

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

that's just the plot to the matrix

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If a true strong AI is ever created, I doubt it will be recognizable as a human-like intelligence. We barely understand how our own cognition works, let alone intelligent animals', so I suspect that an electronic intelligence would be completely unknowable. Humans trying to assign human characteristics to one would be like fish trying to understand a submarine.

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

"In 1880s Kansas, aging outlaw Harland Rust comes out of hiding to rescue his thirteen-year-old grandson Lucas, who has been sentenced to hang for murder after an accidental shooting."

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

distortion park posted:

because if it's an AI, then present-day AI researchers can say "we need to pour more money into AI research to make sure it doesn't happen" because AI is very important you see

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Plorkyeran posted:

christianity built from first principles

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
*puts down controller*

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

goblin week posted:

what if i simply do not build the ai, because i don't want to torture "me"

what if i don't give a gently caress about virtual "me"

if i'm not real than neither is the pain or whatever

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I think whoever made this should be kept far away from little girls playing soccer.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

quote:

The book has been called "the most controversial novel ever written in Canada"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

of course someone who calls soccer "football" is a creep