Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

bawk posted:

Dorfromantik?

Ty but def not it. It was a 4X title and iirc was advertising itself as being a simpler civ. Wasnt on mobile, def was PC or switch.

The big emphasis for it was a simplified/short session version of Civ, thats what im 100% sure of

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jan 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

hats4cats posted:

I've been playing Valheim and really enjoyed sailing exploration. Anything similar, maybe with a cargo delivery/trading aspect?

Chill, can have goals but I'm not looking to fight any deadlines.
Controller friendly.
Easy or no combat. Having automated npc's would be ok.

Sailwind might fit the bill for chill sailing and cargo trading/delivery. It's in early access and still has a bunch of features to be added but the dev seems on it at least. I've been playing it off and on when I feel like chilling.

chainchompz fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 14, 2023

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Kvlt! posted:

Ty but def not it. It was a 4X title and iirc was advertising itself as being a simpler civ. Wasnt on mobile, def was PC or switch.

The big emphasis for it was a simplified/short session version of Civ, thats what im 100% sure of

Civ revolutions?

Polytopia?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Kvlt! posted:

hope this is the right thread im looking for a game i cant find

it was a game like civ (couldve sworn it had "civ" in the title but not 100%) but was like a simplified down version i believe it had a board game theme/aesthetic but again not 100%. Wouldve been on pc or switch maybe?

I dont think it was pocketciv bc that is advertised as having a solitaire theme?

*i didnt play this game i just thought it looked really cool and ill def know it if i see it

Through the ages?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Kvlt! posted:

it was a game like civ (couldve sworn it had "civ" in the title but not 100%) but was like a simplified down version i believe it had a board game theme/aesthetic but again not 100%. Wouldve been on pc or switch maybe?

I dont think it was pocketciv bc that is advertised as having a solitaire theme?

*i didnt play this game i just thought it looked really cool and ill def know it if i see it

If it's Through The Ages as suggested above, you can come to the Board Game thread if you want goons to play with (who will stomp you around like they did me).

If it's not, perhaps it's Rush of Ages from the studio recently virally famous for Shotgun King?

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

Battle of Polytopia?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Magnetic North posted:

If it's Through The Ages as suggested above, you can come to the Board Game thread if you want goons to play with (who will stomp you around like they did me).

IMHO it only takes 20~ games of being crushed before you're up to speed.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Through the Ages that was it ty everyone!! idk why i thought it was hex based

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

The General posted:

IMHO it only takes 20~ games of being crushed before you're up to speed.

I am living proof that is not the case :(

Kvlt! posted:

It's a fantastic game and a fantastic app. The app's tutorial is also extremely good at explaining something so complicated.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

If you start playing online, feel free to add The_General to any async games.

Henry Crustwheel
Jun 22, 2010

Those should be in separate boxes.

Kvlt! posted:

Ozymandias?

Oh. Well, it's hex-based.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

The General posted:

If you start playing online, feel free to add The_General to any async games.

Woah is that the old freeware game by the makers of Space Rangers? Man that take me back.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Xeras posted:

I’m looking for coop games I can sink a lot of hours in. I don’t mind survival games to some degree but I don’t like janky experiences at all. I enjoyed Heroes of Hammerwatch until it became bullshit at like NG+8. I want something with some form of permanent progression and not super punishing

Not sure what you mean by 'janky' so I've just suggested a few that I enjoyed.

Helldivers is an isometric coop game for up to 4 players, where you can progress through the tech tree by finding research samples inside of missions, and level up your character by completing objectives and performing well in missions (I don't think your character level indicates anything except you've spent a lot of time playing). The missions have a wide degree of difficulty and there are a few different enemy factions to adjust the approach. The game advertises itself as having a lot of friendly fire situations (there is no way to turn that off), but it's pretty straight forward once you've learned a few tricks. The player numbers are pretty low.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78a_e2wy4aA

Warframe is a 3rd person action game which also has 4 player coop. It is an action driven grind fest. There is a pretty big variety of weapons, playable characters, and stuff to unlock. Even the most dedicated burnouts take around 1000 hours to reach the highest character level, because level progression is tied to item collection e.g you collect a weapon, new character, companion, then level it up to its maximum level. It is now 'mastered' and that mastery contributes to your 'Mastery Rank' (MR) which represents your overall level progression. Some items are locked behind MR so you have to level up other things before you can use them. There are also story quests to give the world a sense of lore and cohesion, and other things which give MR are locked behind story quests. The crafting system also works in real world time, so if you get a bunch of new parts to make a weapon (e.g barrel, receiver, stock for guns) each part might take 8 real hours to build, then 72 hours to put them together - that's assuming you've already farmed all of the resources, which you probably have if you just constantly play the game to find new things. As soon as you focus on trying to find a specific item it suddenly feels like it is taking forever, but if you just play for the sake of playing, it is usually very enjoyable, and the rewards will flow in naturally.the game recently implemented cross platform play so there should be no shortage of players for some time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHpm3VPFqJM Check out this video if you haven't seen it before, you can get a general idea of the speed of movement. On top of some of the things shown, there are also several open world areas, your own pilotable spacecraft to build for unique missions, and something reminiscent of the nemesis system in the Shadow of Mordor games where you can have a powerful 'arch enemy' who chases you around the solar system and can drop unique weapons.

Planetside 2 is good if you like multiplayer class based FPS games. This one usually has up to 50 to 100 people fighting in the same area at a time in big fights. It is a free to play model where you can subscribe to unlock rewards faster, but it's really not necessary since a lot of the expensive rewards are just side grades or purely cosmetic. It has a sci-fi setting where you make a character who belongs to one of three factions, fighting in an ongoing war based on territory control across several continents. The character you make belongs to just one faction, but you can make 4 or 5 characters on your account. You earn XP by performing different actions like killing enemies, or supporting the team (healing and reviving, supplying ammo, capturing and guarding control points, repairing vehicles, etc). The XP is converted into 'certs' (at a rate of like 250:1 from memory) which are used to get all of the upgrades like character improvements and new weapons e.g your assault class has a jetpack and you can upgrade the amount of thrust to fly higher or glide further. Certs are also used to improve vehicles. The game encourages people to make squads, platoons, and join 'Outfits' which are like guilds in other MMOs. You get XP bonuses for working with your squad that you don't get for helping random people. You can easily put a lot of time into this since the fight never actually ends, it just rotates between battlefields. There will eventually come a time where you feel as though you've 'completed' all of your characters. Based on the reviews I've seen, it's more of a community driven experience where people who hang around the longest are the ones who are doing things as organised groups.

Warhammer 40k Darktide is another 4 player coop entry very similar to the Vermintide series (both being Warhammer, except this one is 40k). It's an ok game I guess but I'm not totally into because I've played the Vermintide games before it and it's also very similar gameplay loop to Left4Dead which I also played a lot of. It helps if you like the lore and setting, and is definitely more enjoyable with friends than strangers. There are 4 classes, you can make one of each and they have their own progression and unique playstyles. New items are in the form of lootbox rewards, or resources to upgrade current items to a new level which unlocks a new trait.

Earth Defence Force 4 and 5 are both fun 4 player coop games with lots of mindless destruction. Have a look at some gameplay videos and judge for yourself. EDF 4 has weaker progression than 5 because you can only unlock items for the class you are currently playing, which means you need to go through the missions again to improve each class. It's like an old fashioned lootbox system where new items are dropped in green boxes, and your character's health pool is permanently grown by picking up red boxes (again, only applies to the class you are currently playing). You will regularly pick up items you've picked up before, and there is no marketplace system to trade in items for currency, or upgrade things you already own, it's pure luck as to whether you get something better, and the better items will come from replaying missions on higher difficulties, which benefit from having more health to work with.

If you like tower defense stuff the Orcs Must Die series is pretty decent, I think they're all limited to 2 player coop.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

This was brought up in the Steam thread but I figured I'd also ask here for good measure.

Are there any good games where the player character is an explicit target of racism or other kind of discrimination?
Preferably in the way that actually affects gameplay, because I'll be honest, nobody NPCs in Skyrim occasionally yelling weak-sauce made-up slurs at you doesn't make me feel anything.

I know Arcanum is one of the games that actually exposes you to reasonably realistic racism if you play as a Gnome or an Orc.
Merchants and Innkeepers will often rip you off or won't let you use their services at all, and occasional quests will be more annoying to do because you won't be given as much leniency in the high society.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

This was brought up in the Steam thread but I figured I'd also ask here for good measure.

Are there any good games where the player character is an explicit target of racism or other kind of discrimination?
Preferably in the way that actually affects gameplay, because I'll be honest, nobody NPCs in Skyrim occasionally yelling weak-sauce made-up slurs at you doesn't make me feel anything.

I know Arcanum is one of the games that actually exposes you to reasonably realistic racism if you play as a Gnome or an Orc.
Merchants and Innkeepers will often rip you off or won't let you use their services at all, and occasional quests will be more annoying to do because you won't be given as much leniency in the high society.

In Morrowind beast races in particular and non-elves in general have hits to reputation that in some cases (especially early game) everything is super expensive and a lot of services just outright refuse you when you don't have enough money yet to bribe people to like you.

It could probably be harsher and for a veteran player it's a non issue but it's something.

Apparently it's a fairly big deal in Mafia 3 but not sure of detail

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The Valkyria Chronicles games have the darcsen who are just Jews really but some squaddies are racist and have malus potentials when they're nearby

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

For an inverse take, NIER Automata was largely about waking up to how racist and prejudiced you and the army you are part of are toward the current denizens of Earth, having been indoctrinated through your entire existence by ancient stories about how evil they are, but the more you interact with them the more you begin question that.

V:TM Bloodlines had a lot of racism between various vampire clans and you were often the target of it IIRC (possibly depending on the clan you chose) but it's been a very long time since I played it so I'm not sure I'm remembering it correctly.

I don't think either one really impacts gameplay though.

Does Liberal Crime Squad count? It abstracts away the concept of race but a similar kind of prejudice between political leanings is literally the foundation of pretty much every mechanic in the game.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 23, 2023

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Apparently it's a fairly big deal in Mafia 3 but not sure of detail

To expand on that, one time I was just chilling, walking around, and a cop's suspicion level raised for no good reason. I stopped moving, then the cop car pulled alongside the pavement, then he said something racist through the window of the car and drove off.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I can't remember all the details, but the Assassin's Creed series has a number of examples.
  • AC Liberation has a whole thing where the main protagonist is half-black, and the main new gameplay gimmick for the game is the ability to swap between "personas" where you can either be a proper lady in a dress, a slave, or an assassin in full garb, which can kinda be seen as code-switching. The ways that NPCs interact with you will change depending on which persona you're in, and also you have access to different abilities.
  • Freedom Cry I don't remember much about specifically, but it takes place in Colonial Haiti where you're trying to free slaves. There's gotta be something in there.
  • AC Origins is an interesting case, because it actually takes place in first century Egypt, long before the advent of modern racism, but a whole lot of the game focuses on the ethnic tensions between the ethnic Egyptians (which the player character is one) and the ethnic Greeks, who had been the ruling class for the last ~300 years, as well as the surprise entry of the Romans. I'm not sure it ever really has any gameplay implications though, and the Assassin's Creed series generally tries to have a "heroes and villains on both sides" kind of neutrality, so the game tries to back away from any morals about the situation.
Outside of that, there's a lot of variants on fantasy racism, which can get confusing over whether it's even analogous to real-world racism in specific, as opposed to all the other types of bigotry. You're more often likely to see games that try to show the benefits of multiculturalism and give you gameplay benefits for diversity.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

To expand on that, one time I was just chilling, walking around, and a cop's suspicion level raised for no good reason. I stopped moving, then the cop car pulled alongside the pavement, then he said something racist through the window of the car and drove off.
Hitman 2 (the original Hitman 2, not Hitman 7, which they called Hitman 2 out of what I assume was some kind of typo they were too embarrassed to admit) depicts prejudice towards bald people very similarly.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Jack Trades posted:

If you're ok with a more linear, narrative focused game, something like Detroit: Become Human has a pretty heavy discrimination theme where you work out differences to earn trust, or take advantage of similarities between characters to betray them.

There are several playable characters, and all of their decisions have an affect on overall public opinion, altering story in significant ways that the other playable characters won't see coming.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Hitman 2 (the original Hitman 2, not Hitman 7, which they called Hitman 2 out of what I assume was some kind of typo they were too embarrassed to admit) depicts prejudice towards bald people very similarly.

tbf the game you're thinking of is Hitman 2: Silent Assassin, part of the Hitman: series, where all games have a colon and subtitle. HITMAN 2 is in the HITMAN series, which is in all caps to loudly proclaim that Hitman is back.

TheMostFrench posted:

If you're ok with a more linear, narrative focused game, something like Detroit: Become Human has a pretty heavy discrimination theme where you work out differences to earn trust, or take advantage of similarities between characters to betray them.

There are several playable characters, and all of their decisions have an affect on overall public opinion, altering story in significant ways that the other playable characters won't see coming.

fair warning on that one, not only is david cage a loving creep, the game is written with the stated goal of being "Blade Runner but you feel bad for the robots", while also hamfistedly mashing together the greatest hits of the Bible, the civil rights movement, WW2 and buddy cop films.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Little known game Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas has racism as one of its core story themes, but not so much mechanically.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
I'm kind of looking for a specific type of game. I played the entire Kingdom Hearts series last year and had so much fun with it and I've been looking for something else to play like that. I've looked at a lot of recommendations and I think I figured out what exactly I'm looking for
  • Realtime combat
  • Lots of cutscenes with voice acting. I prefer lots of short (>10 minutes) cutscenes to having less cutscenes that are longer. I think it builds a good flow, but I'm trying not to be too picky with that
  • Fun immersive, places to explore. If you can jump thats really cool too.

Everyone recommends Yakuza, and I played a good amount of Zero because of that. It is a good recommendation but I have some issues with how exploring town feels compared to Kingdom Hearts, and also the cutscene cinematography is a bit boring and the more realistic aspects don't get me going as much. The sidequests were more fun and silly than everything else but the lack of voice acting and cinematics got me down. Plus the gameplay wasn't exactly straight up my alley.

Pretty much Kingdom Hearts and Metal Gear Solid are what I'm looking for here. What are games like that with good cutscenes and pacing while having realtime combat? I did buy Final Fantasy Origins and played a bit, but older games usually draw me in more.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Nier Automata, for sure.

Maybe the Tales games?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Final Fantasy 15 and 7 Remake are both very Kingdom Hearts-y, what with being directed at some point by Tetsuya Nomura.

Devil May Cry 3 and 4 both have fun cutscenes and a good amount of exploration, though probably too action heavy to be what you want.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Fighting Elegy posted:

I'm kind of looking for a specific type of game. I played the entire Kingdom Hearts series last year and had so much fun with it and I've been looking for something else to play like that. I've looked at a lot of recommendations and I think I figured out what exactly I'm looking for
  • Realtime combat
  • Lots of cutscenes with voice acting. I prefer lots of short (>10 minutes) cutscenes to having less cutscenes that are longer. I think it builds a good flow, but I'm trying not to be too picky with that

Try .hack//G.U. Last Recode.

The immersive part comes more from the NPCs, the Forums and the community shenanigans, but the towns feel real cozy too.

The actual combat areas don't lend themselves too well to exploration, but I still think it's a good fit

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

tbf the game you're thinking of is Hitman 2: Silent Assassin, part of the Hitman: series, where all games have a colon and subtitle. HITMAN 2 is in the HITMAN series, which is in all caps to loudly proclaim that Hitman is back.

well now I'm even more confused about what happens when HITMAN 3 becomes Hitman: World of Assassination next week!!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It's nice that they are trying to simplify things (and make buying the while package possible in a way that isn't overcomplicated and overpriced) but its too late, the titles are a clusterfuck.

Uhh, if it happens? I'm getting a 404 error https://ioi.dk/hitman-3-to-world-of-assassination

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Looks like your link got truncated, you can access the news post from https://ioi.dk/hitman

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Fighting Elegy posted:

• Realtime combat

Everyone recommends Yakuza, and I played a good amount of Zero because of that. It is a good recommendation but I have some issues with how exploring town feels compared to Kingdom Hearts, and also the cutscene cinematography is a bit boring and the more realistic aspects don't get me going as much. The sidequests were more fun and silly than everything else but the lack of voice acting and cinematics got me down. Plus the gameplay wasn't exactly straight up my alley.

Pretty much Kingdom Hearts and Metal Gear Solid are what I'm looking for here. What are games like that with good cutscenes and pacing while having realtime combat? I did buy Final Fantasy Origins and played a bit, but older games usually draw me in more.

My first thought was the Xenoblade series, if you have access to a Switch. The combat isn't fully real-time, your attacks are on a cooldown. But those games have everything else you're looking for, if the combat isn't a deal-breaker.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

Vadun posted:

Try .hack//G.U. Last Recode.

The immersive part comes more from the NPCs, the Forums and the community shenanigans, but the towns feel real cozy too.

The actual combat areas don't lend themselves too well to exploration, but I still think it's a good fit

This was a great recommendation, and one I'm surprised I haven't seen much of. I played less than two hours I put myself in a little conundrum though because I wanted to check it out before buying, so i emulated the PS2 version and ended up liking it a bit too much and played for nearly two hours, so I'll be replaying that tonight (skipping everything it should be pretty quick though). This scratched enough of my extremely specific itches to hook me in instantly.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

well now I'm even more confused about what happens when HITMAN 3 becomes Hitman: World of Assassination next week!!

Actually all three games in the trilogy get merged into World of Assassination. It's gonna do a lot of good for un-loving purchasing DLC at least.

Oh wait you're right, I'm thinking of the access to them in the Assassination Passes.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jan 25, 2023

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Anyone knows if it will be possible to get your unlocks from previous Hitman games into World of Assassination?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Been playing a tonne of Zero Sievert and while it's good and I recommend it, it's also early access and clearly incomplete. It's given me a craving for a Stalker-like experience, though, so I'm wondering what's the best successor to the original Stalker games. I've played Metro as well, but it doesn't scratch the itch. Chernobylite seems a little too linear as well. I want to scavenge for gun attachments in a hostile environment...but I don't want to play Tarkov.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Chas McGill posted:

Been playing a tonne of Zero Sievert and while it's good and I recommend it, it's also early access and clearly incomplete. It's given me a craving for a Stalker-like experience, though, so I'm wondering what's the best successor to the original Stalker games. I've played Metro as well, but it doesn't scratch the itch. Chernobylite seems a little too linear as well. I want to scavenge for gun attachments in a hostile environment...but I don't want to play Tarkov.

STALKER: Gamma. Open world, standalone "mod" for STALKER which is really like, 400 mods slapped onto a 64-bit version of a mod of a mod that linked together all of the STALKER game maps. Pick any faction, complete a few quest lines or just engage in faction warfare or like, just exist.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

STALKER: Gamma. Open world, standalone "mod" for STALKER which is really like, 400 mods slapped onto a 64-bit version of a mod of a mod that linked together all of the STALKER game maps. Pick any faction, complete a few quest lines or just engage in faction warfare or like, just exist.
This looks great and it's clearly an authentic STALKER experience:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It also seems to suffer from the modder disease where the core idea is cool but the author won't let you use it without also downloading his personally preferred visual replacers for every loving object, questionable custom shaders and" fixed" balance, thus making the game unplayable.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

It also seems to suffer from the modder disease where the core idea is cool but the author won't let you use it without also downloading his personally preferred visual replacers for every loving object, questionable custom shaders and" fixed" balance, thus making the game unplayable.

It's basically a modpack for Anomaly. You can just get Anomaly and grab your favourite components if you want an experience closer to vanilla, and if you're a real purist you can just get Call of Chernobyl, which is literally vanilla but openworld. I think you can also enable/disable mods in Gamma? I know you've got shittons of customisation options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Fighting Elegy posted:

• Realtime combat

The newer Ys games are basically this though they're low budget and the stories are pretty dumb