Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Where do you save your personal files
This poll is closed.
Rawdogging my home directory 12 8.39%
Documents/ 12 8.39%
dropbox 6 4.20%
icloud 9 6.29%
onedrive 6 4.20%
s3 bucket 5 3.50%
email to myself 9 6.29%
yeeted via rsync to an old optiplex in the basement 6 4.20%
sd card 6 4.20%
printed out 10 6.99%
github 7 4.90%
a backup on the vm itself 6 4.20%
rapidshare 4 2.80%
google drive 8 5.59%
box 4 2.80%
egnyte 3 2.10%
sharefile 4 2.80%
spideroak 3 2.10%
megaupload 6 4.20%
printed out 11 7.69%
uploaded to web server to send link to rms's demon to email it to him 6 4.20%
Total: 31 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

will your NAS survive a structure fire
Will the AWS warehouse survive a structure fire?

If that's a serious concern you can have an off-site backup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

the backup service you use just randomly not existing one day is more likely that your house burning down

fack you
Sep 12, 2002

For Life
i have no files worth saving

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
musk actually has the best backups because they are not in the cloud, they are above

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

echinopsis posted:

what’s the best thing for backing up my photos? I don’t necessarily need speed but I do need some decent space

number 1 protip for maintaining your photo library is to delete the non-good pictures so it stays a manageable size

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

qirex posted:

number 1 protip for maintaining your photo library is to delete the non-good pictures so it stays a manageable size

i was just talking to someone about how my iphone photos feel borderline useless because theres too many of them. the app is basically just a black hole after you have an iphone for a decade. i think thats why they started pushing the custom albums and memories in the last few years.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Sweevo posted:

the backup service you use just randomly not existing one day is more likely that your house burning down

yep

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I wrote my own filesyncing software and am slowly using it to move more and more files to a fully replicated set of computers at home + a single VPS because I'm a god drat psychopath.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

qirex posted:

lol

ironically, I’ve spent time going thru photo sets that were good and trimming them, but sets that were average or just random, I haven’t put the time and don’t have the inclination, so they end up taking up far more space

unfortunately and realistically overall I don’t have the motivation to trim out the non good ones (99% of my photos), so I am just trying to find a way to mirror all of them. far less effort and much more in tune with my life ethos

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

qirex posted:

post hole digger posted:

i was just talking to someone about how my iphone photos feel borderline useless because theres too many of them. the app is basically just a black hole after you have an iphone for a decade. i think thats why they started pushing the custom albums and memories in the last few years.

i managed to avoid this problem by taking an average of about six photos a year since 1997

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
same, and i'm including the ones for things like passports, driver's licenses, and insurance claims

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
lol if your phone isnt full of inscrutable close-up pictures of stuff you were working on or part numbers

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
mine is extremely inconsistent

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

skinny bitches

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Raluek posted:

lol if your phone isnt full of inscrutable close-up pictures of stuff you were working on or part numbers
It is :negative:

I use an actual camera for most photos I might want to keep, and then review and edit the good ones. Those go into an organized backed-up gallery, the other RAW files get dumped somewhere in case I decide to zoom-enhance them with future AI later.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
My phone is 95% screenshots of my lock screen.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

tk posted:

My phone is 95% screenshots of my lock screen.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

echinopsis posted:

mine is extremely inconsistent

let's see, ill be 13 in and 14 down

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

don't they? or maybe they did but not anymore. it rings a bell but i can't remember the name at all

you're probably thinking of lightsail, the version of ec2 that costs more and has an actual UI

https://aws.amazon.com/lightsail/

that's for web hosting tho, nothing in cloud storage that's simplified. although there's plenty of third party apps that use s3 and glacier as a backend

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lol wrong thread

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Lum_ posted:

you're probably thinking of lightsail, the version of ec2 that costs more and has an actual UI

https://aws.amazon.com/lightsail/

that's for web hosting tho, nothing in cloud storage that's simplified. although there's plenty of third party apps that use s3 and glacier as a backend

ah, that might have been it. guess i misremembered

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Raluek posted:

this

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

I just use my NAS, you should try that OP.

I won't because
1. I don't want to rely on my home internet connection to access things when I'm out and about
2. I don't have a nas

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
no option for bizarre illegal seedbox added as network share

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

"yeeted via rsync to an old optiplex in the basement" is there

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Cat Face Joe posted:

let's see, ill be 13 in and 14 down

i'm

TREE
OLD

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
x tree gold

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I use adobe lightroom cloud for my photos

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
apparently adobe uses photos of you Bloody that are stored on the cloud and uses them to train an AI model called Adobe Clown

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

echinopsis posted:

apparently adobe uses photos of you Bloody that are stored on the cloud and uses them to train an AI model called Adobe Clown

bloody hell mate

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
that's already every adobe product so why do they even need to train a model for that

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

echinopsis posted:

lol

ironically, I’ve spent time going thru photo sets that were good and trimming them, but sets that were average or just random, I haven’t put the time and don’t have the inclination, so they end up taking up far more space

unfortunately and realistically overall I don’t have the motivation to trim out the non good ones (99% of my photos), so I am just trying to find a way to mirror all of them. far less effort and much more in tune with my life ethos

for offsite backup dump it all in amazon glacier, it’s cheap as heck

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

Sweevo posted:

sprawling mess of subdirs on drive D:/

resurrecting to quote this because im seriously at a loss and too embarassed to ask anyone how to actually organize my file drive docs or actually get windows search to be able to search my docs.

like, what do the meganerds do here? I have this sprawling multi folder garbage that im tempted just to consolidate into one folder, but even with the fairly lovely folder structure it at least gives some sort of searchability for my docs.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I don’t have documents sorry

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
my college was giving alumni unlimited Google Drive storage so I was just using that as bulk storage for junk like timelapse photo sets and uncompressed nerd videos. Today I discovered thanks to Google putting a stop to unlimited they're now limiting me to 1.25 TB

i managed to get under by deleting a bunch of .tars of stuff I already had up there extracted

need to find a new solution. seems like also offer 2 TB of onedrive. why they have buth google drive and onedrive idk, but I'm not going to question it

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Oysters Autobio posted:

resurrecting to quote this because im seriously at a loss and too embarassed to ask anyone how to actually organize my file drive docs or actually get windows search to be able to search my docs.

like, what do the meganerds do here? I have this sprawling multi folder garbage that im tempted just to consolidate into one folder, but even with the fairly lovely folder structure it at least gives some sort of searchability for my docs.

the trick is to organise it as you go and build it in a way that makes sense to you. don't just throw things into a folder on the desktop and then drag it to D:\ when you move onto something else.

it's fine for it to be huge and sprawling as long as it's all sensibly named and obvious where things go. don't end up with D:\Stuff\Old\New Folder (2)\Backup - Copy\2009\Photos 2015\New Folder\

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
it also really depends on what the documents are and how many you have and how often you add new ones and how you use them and a whole bunch of other things. it might be you don't even have to organize them. one thing that's apparently a huge time saver for people who get tons of emails every day (suckers) is to not file them in some folder hierarchy or anything like that: just dump everything in the same folder and use search when you need something instead

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

also don't be a hoarder. it's perfectly fine to delete car insurance documents from 2009

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
yeah but it's less work to not delete them and disk space is cheap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

deleting old files goes against everything i know to be right and true