Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

bellows lugosi posted:

you just like advertising. those images are selling you the idea of being cool, or skinny, or young, or sexualized, or the idea that you're the cool photographer taking pictures of women who want to undress in front of you. they're selling you a lifestyle, and we grow up in a society where we're sold that visual lifestyle our entire lives. i don't think it's a mystery or incomprehensible why you'd find them alluring.

it also makes sense why that sort of photography is at the front of the IG explore page. it has the veneer of Good Photography, which is only the technical side, and eschews any deeper meaning other than "she is very good looking, look at her"

horny sells, and you (echinopsis) bought it hook, line, and sinker

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
you can take a bad picture of an attractive subject. but at least the viewer is still indirectly looking at something nice. it's the philosophy i follow in my own photography (not horny)

svalbard last summer

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

as an exercise, echinopsis, i challenge you to not repost any horny posts on your story, post everything else that you get inspired from. see what comes of that.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

bobmarleysghost posted:

as an exercise, echinopsis, i challenge you to not repost any horny posts on your story, post everything else that you get inspired from. see what comes of that.

this is good advice and i was thinking of saying something similar

i don't really much to add to what's already been said except perhaps that these are pretty tame for "echi horny" lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

big scary monsters posted:

svalbard last summer

also these are a really nice set, technically good but not artsy (which is fine! thats also a style). what's the story with this place? that's in norway no?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

bellows lugosi posted:

you just like advertising. those images are selling you the idea of being cool, or skinny, or young, or sexualized, or the idea that you're the cool photographer taking pictures of women who want to undress in front of you. they're selling you a lifestyle, and we grow up in a society where we're sold that visual lifestyle our entire lives. i don't think it's a mystery or incomprehensible why you'd find them alluring.

*extremely whiny voice* dorkroom is leaking!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Beeftweeter posted:

also these are a really nice set, technically good but not artsy (which is fine! thats also a style).
thanks! that's a little what i meant before - they aren't "good" photos in that i just took them as the opportunity came up without much time for thought and composition, there are technical flaws, but at the same time look at this baby polar bear on an ice floe

Beeftweeter posted:

what's the story with this place? that's in norway no?
svalbard has a strange status where it is absolutely a part of the kingdom of norway, but due to arguments over sovereignty that concluded with the spitsbergen treaty not all normal norwegian laws apply. for instance anybody can live and work there visa-free, the tax situation is different (i paid 8% income tax while briefly living there rather than the usual 30% or so on the mainland), you can't be born or die there, there is no social security (you get deported to norway if you can't support yourself) and other weird stuff

so you end up with things like in that photo. the originally swedish coal mining town of pyramiden, sold to the USSR in the 1920s and turned into a model of communist society then abandoned after the fall of the soviet union. because it's so cold it's been pretty well preserved, and in the last few years is being run as a small tourist destination again. the guide for the walking tour i did there was a russian military translator on sabbatical, and the staff at the little hotel were all russian. it's a super cool place, really beautiful since there's not a lot of entertainment up there and the miners apparently spent a lot of time decorating - amazing woodwork, paintings, mosaics all over the interior of the buildings. if you stay overnight you can have the place almost entirely to yourself and just wander around the abandoned buildings (though you're advised not to due to the structural instability, asbestos and lead paint). i had to keep reminding myself i was in norway and not the ussr, especially since everyone is armed because of bears. there's also a pretty little cinema with a huge collection of soviet films, including some that were banned in the soviet union proper - they do showings on request but i didn't have time to see anything

some kilometres away there is still an active russian mining settlement, barentsburg. they have their own thing a bit separate from the norwegian settlements but usually they'd come in to longyearbyen to party every couple of weeks and were pretty much just a part of the tiny svalbard community. i do wonder if things are still the same there with the war in ukraine

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 24, 2023

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
a lot of those insta photos don't really work for me but this isn't dorkroom so whatever

bobmarleysghost posted:

this still might be fun to try though

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

big scary monsters posted:

thanks! that's a little what i meant before - they aren't "good" photos in that i just took them as the opportunity came up without much time for thought and composition, there are technical flaws, but at the same time look at this baby polar bear on an ice floe

svalbard has a strange status where it is absolutely a part of the kingdom of norway, but due to arguments over sovereignty that concluded with the spitsbergen treaty not all normal norwegian laws apply. for instance anybody can live and work there visa-free, the tax situation is different (i paid 8% income tax while briefly living there rather than the usual 30% or so on the mainland), you can't be born or die there, there is no social security (you get deported to norway if you can't support yourself) and other weird stuff

so you end up with things like in that photo. the originally swedish coal mining town of pyramiden, sold to the USSR in the 1920s and turned into a model of communist society then abandoned after the fall of the soviet union. because it's so cold it's been pretty well preserved, and in the last few years is being run as a small tourist destination again. the guide for the walking tour i did there was a russian military translator on sabbatical, and the staff at the little hotel were all russian. it's a super cool place, really beautiful since there's not a lot of entertainment up there and the miners apparently spent a lot of time decorating - amazing woodwork, paintings, mosaics all over the interior of the buildings. if you stay overnight you can have the place almost entirely to yourself and just wander around the abandoned buildings (though you're advised not to due to the structural instability, asbestos and lead paint). i had to keep reminding myself i was in norway and not the ussr, especially since everyone is armed because of bears. there's also a pretty little cinema with a huge collection of soviet films, including some that were banned in the soviet union proper - they do showings on request but i didn't have time to see anything

some kilometres away there is still an active russian mining settlement, barentsburg. they have their own thing a bit separate from the norwegian settlements but usually they'd come in to longyearbyen to party every couple of weeks and were pretty much just a part of the tiny svalbard community. i do wonder if things are still the same there with the war in ukraine

this is fascinating thanks for this

it's always interesting to visit little enclaves like that, regardless of their provenance. a couple of my buddies from college live on an american indian reservation and it's a pretty bizarre experience really. the only reminder that you're no longer "in the united states" is a bunch of signs around the post offices and schools saying you're now on u.s. property, in the middle of the appalachian mountains

i wish i could find the pics i took there. maybe i'll go digging lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

akadajet posted:

does sigma make rf lenses or is that adapted?

adapted. I’ve often wondered if this adds a few mm

it seems to work flawlessly

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

echinopsis posted:

it seems to work flawlessly

the adapter probably has to be very precise or I'd expect the auto-focus would be out.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

sigma makes pretty good optics. historically their auto-focus implementations have been hit or miss.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

on micro four thirds as long as the electrical signals can pass through autofocus works fine

they can definitely change the focal length though, that's how macro tubes work

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
those pictures on the ig are both horny and boring and also many of them are chasing an a e s t h e t i c without understanding the reasoning behind those decisions

yes it is possible to have photos of people without being horny but every one youve posted has not been that.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bobmarleysghost posted:

you mean like all the pictures I shared that aren’t of people?

idk what’s the point of this exercise? lol

bellows lugosi posted:

hmm interesting thought. if true, then.. oh well. lol.

Wild EEPROM posted:

yes it is possible to have photos of people without being horny but every one youve posted has not been that.

lmao

feels like this says more about you than the pictures

akadajet posted:

the adapter probably has to be very precise or I'd expect the auto-focus would be out.

the auto-focus is incredible, like totally amazes me with how good it can be

Beeftweeter posted:

i don't really much to add to what's already been said except perhaps that these are pretty tame for "echi horny" lol

lol
maybe it’s coz they aren’t horny

I went and asked a friend who isn’t a weird nerd from
the internet if she thought they were horny and she said she didn’t think so

she’s just one person of course, but perhaps horny is in the eye of the beholder

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i can see where a lot of people get it from, they are... i guess, in a way, "suggestive". they certainly have the same look and feel of a horny shoot though, right or wrong they seem as if they're of a series that leads to everyone involved getting naked

more to the point though they're just not artistically good either. they're mediocre, kind of boring, the subjects are not themselves interesting enough to make them compelling

imo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
here are some more from my inspo selection

hopefully people don’t get too turned on by all these horny pictures

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

It does not. If the distance from the optical center to the film sensor plane was longer than intended for the design you wouldn't be able to focus at infinity.

This is why mirrorless cameras are so good for adapting other lenses. The distance between the sensor and the lens mount in them is very shallow, so you can adapt any other lens design with just a metal tube of the proper length. If you have a deep lens mount, like say Nikon F, other lenses would have to sit inside the camera body to be the proper distance away from the sensor, and that would usually interfere with the mechanisms. The alternative is to make a thicker mount with an optical correcting element in it but that's not ideal for obvious reasons.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 24, 2023

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

i can see where a lot of people get it from, they are... i guess, in a way, "suggestive". they certainly have the same look and feel of a horny shoot though, right or wrong they seem as if they're of a series that leads to everyone involved getting naked

more to the point though they're just not artistically good either. they're mediocre, kind of boring, the subjects are not themselves interesting enough to make them compelling

imo

apologies that my tastes leave you underwhelmed my beefy friend

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

It does not. If the distance from the optical center to the film sensor plane was longer than intended for the design you wouldn't be able to focus at infinity.

it would as long as the available light is enough to create a usable image :confused:

i mean that's pretty much how a teleconverter works

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bobmarleysghost posted:

horny sells, and you (echinopsis) bought it hook, line, and sinker

bought it? baby i’m selling it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

it would as long as the available light is enough to create a usable image :confused:

i mean that's pretty much how a teleconverter works

Teleconverters have an extra lens inside that magnifies the center of the image. If you just hold the lens further away from the camera body, that's equivalent to using an extension tube, which allows you to focus closer and get a greater enlargement of small objects at the expense of distance focus.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

idk some of them don't

i have used a lot of adapted lenses though and i can unequivocally say the focal length doesn't remain the same, but you can still take shots when the available light doesn't fill the sensor area. for example this is a c-mount lens on a micro 4/3s body

with the aperture wide open it is barely enough to fill the sensor area, that's why you get the neat warping effect. if you stop down, it just becomes vignetted, but it's not distorted

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

idk some of them don't

i have used a lot of adapted lenses though and i can unequivocally say the focal length doesn't remain the same,

Yes it does. The focal length is an inherent property of the lens. It doesn't change when you mount it on a different camera.

If you put a 50mm 135-format SLR lens on a micro 4/3 camera, it is still a 50mm lens. Your camera takes a crop from the center and it has the same field of view as a 100mm lens would on 135. But the optics of it are identical to cropping the center from a photo of the full frame on a 135 camera.

If you use an extension tube the effective focal length changes, yes, but it doesn't just turn the lens into a longer one. If the mechanism had a stop at infinity before, you will lose infinity focus with the tube installed. If your goal was macro magnification this is great. If you wanted to make a long lens to spy on the girl next door you're out of luck.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

polyester concept posted:

i really, really love being a "fly on the wall" and taking candids at events, but I feel like most people do not like having their photo taken without express permission, so I feel like an ultra creeper most of the time. and then once you ask, people usually always stop to pose and that's not what i want!!! sometimes i wish i could just embrace being "the weirdo photographer" and not give a gently caress

yeah street photography kind of creeps me out, especially if you know the people haven’t had an opportunity to consent

but at parties, like family events? it’s not so bad, people generally get over it pretty quickly. and tbf its
not like I’ll be posting that stuff online, it’s just for
sharing around the family or people who went to party

polyester concept posted:

the majority of photographs of people that i enjoy are candids that capture a fleeting moment. there's some environmental portrait photography that can be really good, too, but it doesn't usually hit me in the same way. not usually a fan of staged/posed stuff except from a strictly utilitarian perspective (family portraits for example, which you can still have a lot of fun with if your family is patient)

see a while ago I was looking at some photoshoot and it made no sense to me, I can’t remember what the scenario was, let’s say it was a dude wearing a suit but sitting in the snow

it makes no sense, no one would do that in real life

and then I kind of realised, a photoshoot in of itself is reason enough to do it. I realised photography allows you to do whatever you want and stage whatever scenario you want, no matter how non-sensical or non-representative of anything that occurs in real life

not trying to change your mind here, but it’s a legit way to have fun and do something creative

the shoots I’ve done have always been a bit of fun, it’s nice to meet new people who are totally different from the people I know in the rest of my life, ya have some fun making it all work, and then afterward you both have some photos to enjoy, and usually the model expresses just how much they love the photos, which is a good feeling

but I do know that I am definitely not a photographers photographer, my work, and apparently my taste, are clearly basic and pedestrian. I can live with that though

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

is this the ~* Optical Character *~ I've been hearing so much about from hipsters mad that lenses today are "too perfect"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

qirex posted:

is this the ~* Optical Character *~ I've been hearing so much about from hipsters mad that lenses today are "too perfect"

i don't know many other people that shoot using them but you can do some cool poo poo with them because of the optical characteristics. check this focus

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

If you use an extension tube the effective focal length changes, yes, but it doesn't just turn the lens into a longer one.

ah yep.

so though, is it likely my adapter

is about 20mm

is it likely that that gives an effective longer length, effectively cropped a bit tighter than if it wasn’t adapted

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

echinopsis posted:

ah yep.

so though, is it likely my adapter

is about 20mm

is it likely that that gives an effective longer length, effectively cropped a bit tighter than if it wasn’t adapted

yes

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

nice. taking that superior long focal length and cranking it to 11 :smugmrgw:

cant you just imagine the boring and uncompelling and faux-aesthetic photos I can take with it???

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

No! It doesn't! It just puts the lens the intended distance away from the film plane, because the R mount is much shallower than the EF mount. Echi has an EOS R, which has a full frame 135 sensor. The adapted lens behaves exactly the same on that camera as on any other full frame camera. There is no additional magnification.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

oh i thought it was aps-c

which means that yeah sagebrush is right. it does depend on the sensor size

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

idk here have some pictures

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

oh i thought it was aps-c

I can’t believe you thought I’d shoot on a crop sensor

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
photo I took

hopefully only a minimal amount of people will find this horny

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

echinopsis posted:

I can’t believe you thought I’d shoot on a crop sensor

lol i shot everything i posted on this page with micro four thirds, small sensors are fine if you know what you're doing

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah well I don’t so

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

honestly they're fine even if you don't, to a point anyway. MFT is probably the smallest i'd recommend but some of the 1" sensors are pretty impressive these days

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
nah I have a lil bit of a clue but when you shoot full frame part of doing so is giving crop sensor peeps poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
photo :

now THIS is boring