Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

knox_harrington posted:

uh reading that article they also want the $40 million back

They can "want" plenty of things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

pirateawayfromthemat40

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

knox_harrington posted:

uh reading that article they also want the $40 million back

owing 40 million > owing 40 million and being in prison

i assume thats the calculus, maybe the fines go away if you are in prison but i doubt it

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
free ross with purchase of any trendon shaver

limit one per customer

terms and conditions apply

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

i once got recommended a video with an odd thumbnail and an even weirder title which i moused over to see the preview for like 10 seconds before going "what the gently caress" and moving to something else. youtube somehow figured i loved that poo poo and spent the next 5 days or so recommending me similar extremely hosed up fetish stuff a lot of which i assumed wasn't even allowed. a good chunk of them had literally millions of views so they've probably been reported before, but i guess they're pretty profitable so lol if you think youtube's going to enforce anything

the Internet Comment Etiquette with the clip of the woman deep throating a giant gummi worm haunts my dreams

and now yours as well :twisted:

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

the Internet Comment Etiquette with the clip of the woman deep throating a giant gummi worm haunts my dreams

and now yours as well :twisted:

haunt isn't the word you're looking for, permeates maybe

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Shame Boy posted:

idk why people feel the need to defend youtube's algorithm like this whenever it comes up ...

that person didn't "defend" anything though - they just reported that their experience was different to what the other poster was complaining about

my experience fwiw is that the recommendations column is full of 80s and EDM music tracks because that's all i ever watch on youtube.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

This sounds like an absolutely tremendous idea

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

This sounds like an absolutely tremendous idea

Struggling to sell? Have you considered focusing on a vanishingly small number of buyers?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

selling your house? have you considered selling it to idiots with magic beans?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

smellmycheese posted:

selling your house? have you considered selling it to idiots with magic beans?

jackoff and the coinstalk

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hammerite posted:

that person didn't "defend" anything though - they just reported that their experience was different to what the other poster was complaining about

"maybe stop watching weird conservative videos and this won't happen to you" sure sounds like they're saying it must be your fault you're seeing poo poo, which is the response people seem to have whenever this comes up and if it's not defending the algorithm it sure comes off like it is

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i don't really mean to single you out either Endless Mike, it's just a weird annoying thing I've noticed where for some reason this forum can make fun of all the lovely algorithms everywhere except youtube, where if you're seeing "DUMB LIBERAL GETS OWNED!!!" videos it must be because you actually watch them a lot

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
YouTube just shows me a shitload of vtubers. None of them seem to want cripto. Only real money is accepted in any sort of simp-related activity.

I blame Tim Pool.

And anime

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
probably because SA’s most active subforum is NEETs cackling at “dumb liberal gets owned”

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I just took that as background-level SA snark

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

i don't really mean to single you out either Endless Mike, it's just a weird annoying thing I've noticed where for some reason this forum can make fun of all the lovely algorithms everywhere except youtube, where if you're seeing "DUMB LIBERAL GETS OWNED!!!" videos it must be because you actually watch them a lot

it could also be due to any other (faulty) data google might have on you that is not the youtube view history. hell it might be someone else from the household who shares the ip or god knows what

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hammerite posted:

I just took that as background-level SA snark

yeah it probably was tbh, i've just seen it pretty earnestly argued over here multiple times and it's weird

though thinking about it, i'm pretty sure most of those times were fishmech sooo

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

reminder that youtube is being sued and one court has already ruled that section 230 doesn’t cover their recommendation algo as it turned some people into actual isis terrorists.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

4lokos basilisk posted:

i wanted to make a "pirateat40, outofprisonat60" joke and then i googled whats up with the guy, and it turns out that the man could get away with just paying the fines, but he is ignoring the court, hasn't paid even the piddly 6x400 bucks and now they want to put him in prison

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/litigation/bitcoin-ponzi-operator-ordered-imprisoned-for-civil-contempt

he was also charged with “ASSAULT CAUSES BODILY INJURY FAMILY VIOLENCE”, and has a ton of civil stuff going on. Amazingly his wife didn’t leave him until last year.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

blugu64 posted:

he was also charged with “ASSAULT CAUSES BODILY INJURY FAMILY VIOLENCE”, and has a ton of civil stuff going on. Amazingly his wife didn’t leave him until last year.

That’s when the money ran out

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Mr. Nice! posted:

reminder that youtube is being sued and one court has already ruled that section 230 doesn’t cover their recommendation algo as it turned some people into actual isis terrorists.
which one? the one i'm thinking of (the caption escapes me) basically dismissed it as being "unsupported" in the plaintiff's cited case law.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Shame Boy posted:

yeah it probably was tbh, i've just seen it pretty earnestly argued over here multiple times and it's weird

though thinking about it, i'm pretty sure most of those times were fishmech sooo

too soon

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

gschmidl posted:

I feel like it should be write only for the user, too.

symlinks don't have real permissions

by posix at least

, although i just learned that macos and some other bsds have syscalls that can successfully set symlink permissions, and macos symlink perms are even sort of respected

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
pirateowes40(million)

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

shame on an IGA posted:

you've done a better job of concealing that you post here from The Algorithm, the second youtube knows you're a goon you're gonna get flooded with Defunctland recs

i mean I already sub to dan bell and the proper people, as well as most of lost media youtube, it's just a matter of time.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
e: I was beaten to my joke. :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

know what's better than owning a physical collectible of something? owning a link that says you own a physical collectible of something that's not in your possession

https://twitter.com/ethfrenchie/status/1617560774519721984?s=61&t=Pi4uy-wozJGNyg-meqPSQg

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
going to assume the rare collectibles world solved that decades if not centuries ago by transferring paper titles

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

haveblue posted:

going to assume the rare collectibles world solved that decades if not centuries ago by transferring paper titles

pffft those aren't even on a blockchain! they can be muted or funged!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

kw0134 posted:

which one? the one i'm thinking of (the caption escapes me) basically dismissed it as being "unsupported" in the plaintiff's cited case law.

gonzalez v google currently being heard by scotus:

https://www.supremecourt.gov/docket/docketfiles/html/public/21-1333.html

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Endless Mike posted:

know what's better than owning a physical collectible of something? owning a link that says you own a physical collectible of something that's not in your possession

https://twitter.com/ethfrenchie/status/1617560774519721984?s=61&t=Pi4uy-wozJGNyg-meqPSQg

gotta dunk on the guy who's been raging for a full week now about his priceless copy of a game that sold 14 million copies that he paid $3k for because it was in a plastic box

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

njsykora posted:

gotta dunk on the guy who's been raging for a full week now about his priceless copy of a game that sold 14 million copies that he paid $3k for because it was in a plastic box

yeah i was gonna say there's no way fuckin' pokemon yellow version is at all rare

also i'm guessing US customs comprehends putting stuff in big fancy cases that scream "important box do not open!!!" real well, which would be why they opened it to check for contraband

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
this is literally why insurance exists

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Shame Boy posted:

yeah i was gonna say there's no way fuckin' pokemon yellow version is at all rare

also i'm guessing US customs comprehends putting stuff in big fancy cases that scream "important box do not open!!!" real well, which would be why they opened it to check for contraband

I did some work at a toy auction house last year and the world of “graded” toys (ie assessed for how good the condition is and then sealed in an airtight box) is loving insane. Star Wars figures going for 5 figures.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

njsykora posted:

smellmycheese posted:

I did some work at a toy auction house last year and the world of “graded” toys (ie assessed for how good the condition is and then sealed in an airtight box) is loving insane. Star Wars figures going for 5 figures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbdij5Vi8oY

the trick is to run all the remaining copies through a woodchipper

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

VHS somewhat recently becoming collectable is incredibly frustrating to weirdos like me that just want to find weird old tapes to laugh at

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
them too

the copy of nukie they had graded for the episode as a joke sold for $80k on ebay. at least they donated the proceeds to charity