Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
more photo I took

praying to the lord no one thinks these are horny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

this one is very nice

good lighting, nice background, well composed, good dog. remove the dog and it would still be a good photo, or put the dog in front of something else, and it'd still be good, too

get what i mean now

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

horny for symbolism

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

echinopsis posted:

here are some more from my inspo selection

hopefully people don’t get too turned on by all these horny pictures

One man's quest to find the most middling photos taken in history.

echinopsis posted:

nah I have a lil bit of a clue but when you shoot full frame part of doing so is giving crop sensor peeps poo poo

Being elitist about sensor size is the dumbest poo poo known to man

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

more photo I took

I just lurk this thread, but man, you sure are bringing up the horny thing unprompted a lot.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

echinopsis posted:

nah I have a lil bit of a clue but when you shoot full frame part of doing so is giving crop sensor peeps poo poo

lmao i hope youre not serious? i can't really tell, what with your posting history

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Awkward Davies posted:

I just lurk this thread, but man, you sure are bringing up the horny thing unprompted a lot.

no he's not. the dorkroom regulars in this thread are

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Megabound posted:

Being elitist about sensor size is the dumbest poo poo known to man

clearly I am serious abuot this

Awkward Davies posted:

lol

Megabound posted:

One man's quest to find the most middling photos taken in history.

and yet I like them. hosed up but true

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bobmarleysghost posted:

lmao i hope youre not serious? i can't really tell, what with your posting history

what if I was serious? serious about poo poo posting that is

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i like how my full frame camera takes pictures, i also like how my aps-c cameras take pictures.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I still shoot Minox sometimes. How does that fit into the sensor/film size caste system

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

here are some more from my inspo selection

hopefully people don’t get too turned on by all these horny pictures

echinopsis posted:

photo I took

hopefully only a minimal amount of people will find this horny

echinopsis posted:

more photo I took

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Personally, I like to look at pretty ladies sometimes

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

And by God sometimes I even feel a little bit randy. It is my deepest shame

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

throwing pity parties is his other thing

luckily he has other things as well - it's a lot more fun for everyone when he leans into them instead

fwiw echi, i think your inspiration photos mostly suck, but i enjoy the photos you yourself take. i remember some mountain landscapes you took that were rather cool. i also enjoy hearing you talk about the lifted black stuff and all that, because i know literally nothing about post-processing and dont know where to get started or anything.

anyway, Universal Control broke, so im gonna hit post on this and will post some pics in a minute

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
i shot this with a pentax q, it is literally the smallest interchangeable lens system camera

smaller sensors are fine

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
here is a photo of a cat

and this is at 100%

the autofocus and general quality of this lens is top notch.

I used to think cameras needed big megapixels to compensate for how rubbish they looked at 1:1 but turns out I just had average lens

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

yeah, I'm probably going to stick with aps-c for my next camera in large part because the lenses are so much smaller and lighter and for the pictures I take it's not a big deal

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

i shot this with a pentax q, it is literally the smallest interchangeable lens system camera

smaller sensors are fine

this has some hdr vibes

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

i find the lifted blacks thing kind of funny because yeah it's mimicking "film", but really it's mimicking badly scanned film, but it doesn't really even matter anyways. there's lots of mavica photos posted in this thread and lots of chatter online about zoomers getting really into digital point and shoots, not even the shittiest ones, but it's just yearning for some nostalgia of an imagined past. like the bad scans themselves become nostalgic because people experience film through that perspective, regardless of their "authenticity" of how film actually looks, the same way people imagine the 60s as sort of a colorless faded wasteland because they experience things through photo albums decades later that were printed on unstable mediums. it's cool sometimes i guess but after a while it just feels like a surface-level visual communication of nostalgia without anything backing it up

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

like at some point i imagine people will be nostalgic for fake scanlines on cgi'd-in television sets in media set in the 80s but filmed in the 2020s instead of actual tube tvs

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bellows lugosi posted:

i find the lifted blacks thing kind of funny because yeah it's mimicking "film", but really it's mimicking badly scanned film, but it doesn't really even matter anyways. there's lots of mavica photos posted in this thread and lots of chatter online about zoomers getting really into digital point and shoots, not even the shittiest ones, but it's just yearning for some nostalgia of an imagined past. like the bad scans themselves become nostalgic because people experience film through that perspective, regardless of their "authenticity" of how film actually looks, the same way people imagine the 60s as sort of a colorless faded wasteland because they experience things through photo albums decades later that were printed on unstable mediums. it's cool sometimes i guess but after a while it just feels like a surface-level visual communication of nostalgia without anything backing it up

whether or not it's mimicking film, I like raised blacks because it makes an image look like it's printed on a matte surface, it makes it "smoother", easier on the eyes

https://www.instagram.com/johnwingfield/?hl=en

this guy does it, and it makes his profile look so gloriously smooth

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bellows lugosi posted:

like at some point i imagine people will be nostalgic for fake scanlines on cgi'd-in television sets in media set in the 80s but filmed in the 2020s instead of actual tube tvs

lol this is an interesting thought

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

yeah there's definitely something to mimicking the print itself. that guy does it a bit too far for me and it just reads as "using the same lightroom presets" instead of a careful application per-image to suit it

it's actually pretty cool to print images and scan them back in, definitely gives that look in a very natural feeling way

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i had to crop little jones out (basically he's to the left of that bubble), but i would love any tips yall have on composition and stuff. all i know how to do is rule-of-thirds - beyond that i just take pictures of stuff i like and kind of hope it works out.

like, would this be better if i cropped some of that vertical space out so that the buddha head is gone, at the expense of poodle jones's tail? or maybe if there was just less stuff other than the bubblechomp? i'm not sure

maybe something like

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 24, 2023

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

oh lol

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

i had to crop little jones out (basically he's to the left of that bubble), but i would love any tips yall have on composition and stuff. all i know how to do is rule-of-thirds - beyond that i just take pictures of stuff i like and kind of hope it works out.

like, would this be better if i cropped some of that vertical space out so that the buddha head is gone, at the expense of poodle jones's tail? or maybe if there was just less stuff other than the bubblechomp? i'm not sure

maybe something like

first one is better, don't overthink it, dog looks good

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

whether or not it's mimicking film, I like raised blacks because it makes an image look like it's printed on a matte surface, it makes it "smoother", easier on the eyes

https://www.instagram.com/johnwingfield/?hl=en

this guy does it, and it makes his profile look so gloriously smooth

Man, I hate that smoothness. It aestheticizes the image, and removes any of the emotional weight or content. It makes it about the presentation, rather than the content.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

bellows lugosi posted:

first one is better, don't overthink it, dog looks good

fair enough, thank you!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

What do you guys think of my ferry pic

I like that you can see some jackass left his lights on/car running in the middle of the top car row and also at the back

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Awkward Davies posted:

Man, I hate that smoothness. It aestheticizes the image, and removes any of the emotional weight or content. It makes it about the presentation, rather than the content.

personally, I love to enjoy it

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

personally, I love to enjoy it

We've already established the caliber of your taste.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Awkward Davies posted:

We've already established the caliber of your taste.

:rolleyes:

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

he's right though, your taste isn't refined, yet. maybe in the future you will dig yourself out of this male gaze hole you find yourself in.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

this one is very nice

good lighting, nice background, well composed, good dog. remove the dog and it would still be a good photo, or put the dog in front of something else, and it'd still be good, too

get what i mean now

here’s the thing though, the other picture of the dog is the one the owner enjoys the most and is the one that is more memorable.

im far more inclined to shoot photos that are “people pleasers”, rather than try to take what other photographers would consider a good photo

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

PokeJoe posted:

What do you guys think of my ferry pic

I like that you can see some jackass left his lights on/car running in the middle of the top car row and also at the back

i like the colors, op

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i took this self portrait the other day

iirc there's some plexiglass in between. i just hit the "auto fix" or "smart fix" or whatever button in photoshop; that seems to have made it nicer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

at one point, i was on the other side of the enclosure and there were dozens of people watching him. there was a beautiful candid shot of them watching him set up, but before i could take the photo they all moved on to the lookout that I was in. little jones spent the next like 15 minutes complaining about "why did those rude people move and ruin your picture" and had a hard time accepting "they didn't do anything wrong, sometimes it just doesn't work out" as an answer