Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bobmarleysghost posted:

he's right though, your taste isn't refined, yet. maybe in the future you will dig yourself out of this male gaze hole you find yourself in.

this is bullshit lol, almost half the pictures I posted don’t even have people in them

but regardless, I am happy with what I like, and the people whose opinion matter to me seem to feel the same way. a bunch of weird nerds from the internet don’t like my photos and think my taste is poo poo, oh well.

this is a lovely analogy but it’ll have to do : it’s like I like/make pop music, and i’m getting dragged by a bunch of prog rock nerds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Megabound posted:

Being elitist about sensor size is the dumbest poo poo known to man

don't even talk to me unless you're carrying around at least a 4x5 as your point and shoot

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

echinopsis posted:

here’s the thing though, the other picture of the dog is the one the owner enjoys the most and is the one that is more memorable.

im far more inclined to shoot photos that are “people pleasers”, rather than try to take what other photographers would consider a good photo

idk that's kind of different

like here, for example

is it technically a great photo? lmao no

is it adorable as all hell that eggy loves being stuffed into a tote bag? yes. imo that makes it a good one also

that other photo is decent too but you can't really tell the dog's personality from it. that's not your fault, dogs are surprisingly difficult subjects

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
lol

BEEP BEEP

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

this is bullshit lol, almost half the pictures I posted don’t even have people in them

but regardless, I am happy with what I like, and the people whose opinion matter to me seem to feel the same way. a bunch of weird nerds from the internet don’t like my photos and think my taste is poo poo, oh well.

this is a lovely analogy but it’ll have to do : it’s like I like/make pop music, and i’m getting dragged by a bunch of prog rock nerds

Personally, I think that interrogating what you like, why you like it, and the influences that create the things you like can lead you to a deeper understanding, and ultimately a deeper enjoyment.

Pop music and prog rock certainly each have their place. I think the analogy doesn't quite work, because the issue with the horny photos you linked is an issue of content, rather than genre. I'd say that the hornyness would more come out in lyrics, rather than in genre. To stretch the analogy I suppose we could say that the genre of the photos is portraiture, and the content is horny. Does that mean that all portraiture is bad? Of course not.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

lol

BEEP BEEP

This is a very good photo in many ways

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

lol

BEEP BEEP

i would like to take photos like this

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

lol using eggy is kind of cheating really

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

echinopsis posted:

but regardless, I am happy with what I like, and the people whose opinion matter to me seem to feel the same way.

Strange that the Venn diagram of people whose opinion you care about and people who like your photos is a perfect circle.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Awkward Davies posted:

Personally, I think that interrogating what you like, why you like it, and the influences that create the things you like can lead you to a deeper understanding, and ultimately a deeper enjoyment.

i don’t disagree, i’ve certainly grown and evolved a lot in the last year. a part of that is also growing a wide range of influences and being open minded to what kinds of things I enjoy

although apparently it’s all poo poo

quote:

Pop music and prog rock certainly each have their place. I think the analogy doesn't quite work, because the issue with the horny photos you linked is an issue of content, rather than genre. I'd say that the hornyness would more come out in lyrics, rather than in genre. To stretch the analogy I suppose we could say that the genre of the photos is portraiture, and the content is horny. Does that mean that all portraiture is bad? Of course not.

as we’ve gone over earlier though, it seems we all have a different idea of horny, or erotic, or glamour or whatever.

there’s definitely an undercurrent of opinion that not only do I have horny tastes with my instagram inspo (I still disagree) but also that it’s a bad thing

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

the criticism of your curation felt more like "of course you like this" rather than saying horny itself was bad fwiw

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

i don’t disagree, i’ve certainly grown and evolved a lot in the last year. a part of that is also growing a wide range of influences and being open minded to what kinds of things I enjoy

although apparently it’s all poo poo

as we’ve gone over earlier though, it seems we all have a different idea of horny, or erotic, or glamour or whatever.

there’s definitely an undercurrent of opinion that not only do I have horny tastes with my instagram inspo (I still disagree) but also that it’s a bad thing

I don't think horny is bad. Take Ren Hang (RIP). I love his work. Is it horny? Absolutely. But it's also interesting and unique.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Megabound posted:

Strange that the Venn diagram of people whose opinion you care about and people who like your photos is a perfect circle.

it’s more that the people whose opinion I care about are people in the local scene and people who I am actually taking photos of

and conversely, if I’ve got people telling me my taste sucks and my photos are poo poo, but they themselves do photography work that I find disinteresting, well, I just don’t know what to do with that information

i’ve got pretty thin skin, and don’t need extra reasons to doubt myself and avoid taking photos, so I am careful to share my work

I mean, I shared like 40 photos of work I aspire to be able to achieve, and I don’t think anyone said anything positive about any of them at all.

which is fine, of course no one has to or anything, but it certainly highlights the disparity between what I think is good and what others do, and so then it leaves me wondering about how much weight do I give to the opinion of people who don’t like any thing that I do

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i think the thing that colors this conversation is that nearly all heterosexual males have shared your taste at some point in their lives. part of having such viewpoints in our pasts is that we definitionally view them as immature. you can say all you want about tastes' changing as we age not really getting _better_ but merely _different_, but at the end of the day if i didn't think my taste in my late 30s is better than it was in my late teens, i would still like the same things. indeed, with a lot of music, i still _do_ like what i listened to twenty years ago. i even like some of the same photos. but there's a certain type of portraiture that i generally roll my eyes at these days even if it's, shall we say, pleasant to look at.

realistically, if i or beef or whoever posted any one of those photos, nobody would throw shade. it's only because of your inability to stop being horny - and your requirement to post horny a hundred times and not just take your lumps and move on - that people react. we've seen from past behavior that if we don't call you out for hornyposting, you just keep going and going and that's what people are really trying to avoid.

anyways, if it really bothers you all you have to do is not post pictures of birds (british slang) but posting birds (standard usage) owns

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bellows lugosi posted:

the criticism of your curation felt more like "of course you like this" rather than saying horny itself was bad fwiw

well yeah seems like people were blinded by horniness initially, ignored every photo that wasn’t horny, and then told me they were all poo poo

which is wrong because most of them are sweet photos I would be proud of doing

and lmao i’m glad I didn’t share the ones I think are horny

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

i think the thing that colors this conversation is that nearly all heterosexual males have shared your taste at some point in their lives. part of having such viewpoints in our pasts is that we definitionally view them as immature.

i think it's not even that heterosexual males have shared the taste, but that it's fundamentally rooted in a nostalgia for a perceived past. swinging on rope swings, tradwife dress, hazy sunsets, etc., it's all calling back to the past in one way or another, and for me, personally, i've started to think that idealizing that rosy version of the past (especially in a white heteronormative sense) is a privilege itself. it's the taste of people who yearn for the past where other people were oppressed, even if that's not what they're thinking of.

i've always struggled to put it into effective words but the images feel very conservative, they're rooted in the past, and they're not challenging me or anyone to move into the future. of course there's always joy in being nostalgic so it's fine to like them and want to take them. but it's also not unreasonable for people to look at them and not like what they represent

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

it’s more that the people whose opinion I care about are people in the local scene and people who I am actually taking photos of

and conversely, if I’ve got people telling me my taste sucks and my photos are poo poo, but they themselves do photography work that I find disinteresting, well, I just don’t know what to do with that information

i’ve got pretty thin skin, and don’t need extra reasons to doubt myself and avoid taking photos, so I am careful to share my work

I mean, I shared like 40 photos of work I aspire to be able to achieve, and I don’t think anyone said anything positive about any of them at all.

which is fine, of course no one has to or anything, but it certainly highlights the disparity between what I think is good and what others do, and so then it leaves me wondering about how much weight do I give to the opinion of people who don’t like any thing that I do

I went back and looked at the inspo photos and man, I'm sorry, I find them so boring. They're so generic. That's not to say that they're not technically well executed, and that they're not successful on some level. They certainly are. They're just so empty.

I definitely understand the desire to create them though, and I appreciate the desire to be able to capture a well crafted image that is able to evoke a certain mood. There is definitely a pleasure in the level of skill and execution there.

But they're still boring.

I dunno! This is tricky stuff. I struggle with it all the time also. It's tricky to figure out what you want from a creative hobby, what you want to say, what your real interest is. Or at least, it is for me.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

horny

oops, I meant "hairy"

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i feel what you're saying, but the twee hipster aesthetic youre talking about was Very Much In 15 years ago. hell, that exact analysis you gave also hasn't really changed in 15 years either. idk if Kids These Days are still doing the same thing, but i kinda suspect that they are, because borrowed nostalgia - or more accurately, aping nuance without really understanding it, that whole music/scene thing that is now referred to as an endless parade of "aesthetics" and "-cores" - is itself a big part of growing up and developing one's own taste and sense of style

maybe i just dont like the idea of dismissing it as necessarily retrograde, idk

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

it's the same ideological event happening now but with slightly different people, i felt the same way about dash snow and ryan mcginley photos 15 years ago. and yeah the analysis is definitely nothing fresh

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Thank you, now I can dismiss this photo as bad not bad and poorly processed.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bellows lugosi posted:

i think it's not even that heterosexual males have shared the taste, but that it's fundamentally rooted in a nostalgia for a perceived past. swinging on rope swings, tradwife dress, hazy sunsets, etc., it's all calling back to the past in one way or another, and for me, personally, i've started to think that idealizing that rosy version of the past (especially in a white heteronormative sense) is a privilege itself. it's the taste of people who yearn for the past where other people were oppressed, even if that's not what they're thinking of.

i've always struggled to put it into effective words but the images feel very conservative, they're rooted in the past, and they're not challenging me or anyone to move into the future. of course there's always joy in being nostalgic so it's fine to like them and want to take them. but it's also not unreasonable for people to look at them and not like what they represent

this is interesting

Megabound posted:

Thank you, now I can dismiss this photo as bad not bad and poorly processed.

thanks for the fuckin support man

I can really tell that we have fundamentally different ideas of what good photography is
that's one of my favorite photos that I have taken

before I raised the blacks, there was detail on the person. the photo was not better when it had detail, and raising the blacks not only fixed that issue, but also then met my ideals and the style I promote and hope to continue promoting

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

why did you take it in a barn

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

echinopsis posted:

I can really tell that we have fundamentally different ideas of what good photography is

before I raised the blacks, there was detail on the person. the photo was not better when it had detail, and raising the blacks not only fixed that issue, but also then met my ideals and the style I promote and hope to continue promoting

What do you like about it? What does it say to you?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

echi im way worse at taking photos than you are and i hope you keep posting (non-horny) photos

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Awkward Davies posted:

I went back and looked at the inspo photos and man, I'm sorry, I find them so boring. They're so generic. That's not to say that they're not technically well executed, and that they're not successful on some level. They certainly are. They're just so empty.

I definitely understand the desire to create them though, and I appreciate the desire to be able to capture a well crafted image that is able to evoke a certain mood. There is definitely a pleasure in the level of skill and execution there.

But they're still boring.

I dunno! This is tricky stuff. I struggle with it all the time also. It's tricky to figure out what you want from a creative hobby, what you want to say, what your real interest is. Or at least, it is for me.

well I do appreciate the post, but sorry my taste is underwhelming lol

obviously there is a lot of subjectivity in photography, but for example, I can't stand stuff that is like "old man still working at wood factory, dirty face, wrinkly hands" stuff, it feels really contrived, and for me, creating something that just emits an aesthetic, is actually good.

plus, and I've said this a lot of time, stuff that appeals to and impresses just regular old non-photography people, that's kind of the space I am in.
clearly though my taste is not aligned with anyone worthwhile

challenge to everyone

I would be interested for people to share some "inspo" that they think is good and not boring or horny or whatever

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

echinopsis posted:

It was dismissive of me to leave it at that so I'll explain why I don't like the photo, leaving out editorial choices.

The photo tells me nothing about the subject there's no sense of place and no narrative. The subject is nothing but an object for desire, I find it reductive of the model.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

echinopsis posted:

I would be interested for people to share some "inspo" that they think is good and not boring or horny or whatever

here's some projects i've been thinking of lately

https://garrettgrove.com/errorsofpossession - i think this is a good "straight" contemporary photography series
http://www.everythingiscollective.com/projects/imaginedgeographies.html - i really like this as a way of looking at how the way we perceive the outdoors in the united states is almost entirely intentionally designed, and how that sort of visual engineering translates to how we view photographs and visual art
http://www.stevefitch.com/diesels-and-dinosaurs/ - this older series of someone examining their childhood nostalgia has me thinking about how we manufacture nostalgia generationally and how that decays

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Megabound posted:

What do you like about it? What does it say to you?

hopefully it captures the feeling of being with a person in a bedroom with dim lighting

and the hair is nice and curly, not everyone has that

overall, I personally enjoy things like bold makeup, nice hair, nice outfits, anything glamourous, jewleerly, anything glittery, sequins etc. I like things traditionally considered feminine, and I enough of a simpleton to enjoy photos that have those things even if it isn't a good photo for other reasons

and I really like the hair in that photo, it's desirably curly, and also in a state that isn't tidy and put up, but kind of messy, and it's a dimly lit bedroom, and messy hair in a dimly lit bedroom? what does that imply

to me, it captures a feeling quite well. I was there, so I know what the feeling was, so I am not sure if it's translates through to others when they see it, but I hope it does. (and that might rely on a persons life experience etc)

the silhouette effect combined with the story it's hopefully telling is why I like it. I am gutted it was slightly overexposed because it means I can't bring the brightness down how I'd like but.. I can live with it

Megabound posted:

It was dismissive of me to leave it at that so I'll explain why I don't like the photo, leaving out editorial choices.

The photo tells me nothing about the subject there's no sense of place and no narrative. The subject is nothing but an object for desire, I find it reductive of the model.

thankyou for giving a bit more explanation.

to me however, those things aren't negative, basically.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bellows lugosi posted:

here's some projects i've been thinking of lately

https://garrettgrove.com/errorsofpossession - i think this is a good "straight" contemporary photography series
http://www.everythingiscollective.com/projects/imaginedgeographies.html - i really like this as a way of looking at how the way we perceive the outdoors in the united states is almost entirely intentionally designed, and how that sort of visual engineering translates to how we view photographs and visual art
http://www.stevefitch.com/diesels-and-dinosaurs/ - this older series of someone examining their childhood nostalgia has me thinking about how we manufacture nostalgia generationally and how that decays

thankyou, I am curious and might have a bit of a dive soon

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I cannot tell if this photo is worthwhile sharing or not

on one hand, I think it's kinda boring

but on the other hand, I wonder if it's a different landscape to what others are used to seeing, so perhaps from an interest point of view, it's worth sharing

anyway, that's some central new zealand

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

always kinda liked this photo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it's so gloriously smooth too

here is another

is this a good photo?
it's literally sparkly texture
I love it

although it's more of a screen saver/ dekstop kind of image. I did get it printed and put it on my wall however

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I think about Beijing Silvermine a lot as I really enjoy the understanding of people taken from their own collected but disparate photos: https://www.beijingsilvermine.com/gallery

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

echinopsis posted:

I cannot tell if this photo is worthwhile sharing or not

on one hand, I think it's kinda boring

but on the other hand, I wonder if it's a different landscape to what others are used to seeing, so perhaps from an interest point of view, it's worth sharing

anyway, that's some central new zealand

I like this the most out of everything you've posted but the edit let's it down.

The curve in the original is wild with no true whites or blacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Ren Hang
https://www.artnet.com/artists/ren-hang/