Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
happy to announce that my hard work got my manager a trip to the Caribbean :awesome:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

me: "ah new work laptop. WSL was being a pain on the old one, let's try dual booting a proper linux and see if it works any better on this laptop than the last"

also me, post-install: "wtf is BitLocker recovery"

:owned: :cripes:

guess tomorrow i get to tell our one IT guy for like 300 people that i done fricked it and get it re-imaged. that or turn off whatever this thing is i guess

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 25, 2023

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

KidDynamite posted:

i go to bed around 10 and wake up at 5. i'm very lucky i was able to keep this schedule while quitting ambien cold turkey. and the schedule does get messed up because i have adhd. but i return to it. it's like a comfort blanket now.

working out needs to happen first thing or i make too many excuses.

if i wake up any time before noon i dont want to be alive

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

me: "ah new work laptop. WSL was being a pain on the old one, let's try dual booting a proper linux and see if it works any better on this laptop than the last"

also me, post-install: "wtf is BitLocker recovery"

:owned: :cripes:

guess tomorrow i get to tell our one IT guy for like 300 people that i done fricked it and get it re-imaged. that or turn off whatever this thing is i guess

if its domain joined check the AD and/or azure ad machine accounts for the recovery key. if its not domain joined and you are logging in with a microsoft account, then check there.

also this is what you get for using linux.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

hbag posted:

here’s the bad news: I still do that approaching the top of the hill. I can sleep 12 hours and sleep the next night easily. but.

here’s the good news: you’re heading towards a career where you can make that work and you can make them Understand. so get your school poo poo done and you’ll be fine. also, do a situp once in a while

edit: and keep learning the way of yospos. being here is a huge advantage, it points out the traps and things you have to understand to (lazily) get ahead

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
hows hbag gonna be one of us 500kcal/day bodybuilders if they dont lift barbell weights

mystes
May 31, 2006

hbag posted:

same but also any time at or after noon

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

read and ask questions in the big threads like secfuck or plangs or whatever. they’re full of people who are smarter than u and I talking about things neither of us really understand, but thanks to the other posters, understand better than our peers

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

im done with my assignments finally and trying to Chill for a bit before i go to bed and uhhh its... impossible to relax
like ive got another assignment, but i dont. i checked like five times

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

hbag posted:

im done with my assignments finally and trying to Chill for a bit before i go to bed and uhhh its... impossible to relax
like ive got another assignment, but i dont. i checked like five times

you do. it’s for thst one class you always forget about

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Shaggar posted:

if its domain joined check the AD and/or azure ad machine accounts for the recovery key. if its not domain joined and you are logging in with a microsoft account, then check there.
idk sweet gently caress all about AD (doubt i'd have permissions anyway), and the laptop is joined to the work domain but i hadn't signed onto anything MS yet (except zoom i guess if SSO counts)

eh well i didn't have anything on it yet so whatever, lesson of some kind learned (not)

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

bump_fn posted:

you do. it’s for thst one class you always forget about

no i just did that one

mystes
May 31, 2006

your other assignment is for sleep 101: intro to going to bed

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

im watching for all mankind. better than i was expecting

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
it’s -8 out this is too cold

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

hbag posted:

im watching for all mankind. better than i was expecting

i assume you're talking about the show, the movie of the same name is excellent and has a superb soundtrack by brian eno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlaTeXX3uH8

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Enderzero posted:

here’s the bad news: I still do that approaching the top of the hill. I can sleep 12 hours and sleep the next night easily. but.

here’s the good news: you’re heading towards a career where you can make that work and you can make them Understand. so get your school poo poo done and you’ll be fine. also, do a situp once in a while

edit: and keep learning the way of yospos. being here is a huge advantage, it points out the traps and things you have to understand to (lazily) get ahead

Situp? Ew.

Squats.

Though a dumbbell fly every so often turned out to be the secret tech for me.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
situps and squats work completely different muscle groups

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
If you're going to do one, it's squats.

Otherwise you build a full regimen and leave situps out of it. They're not good for you.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

endlessmonotony posted:

Situp? Ew.

Squats.

Though a dumbbell fly every so often turned out to be the secret tech for me.

this is true I was just being glib. squats are great. deadlifts too. hoping to get back to it this year

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

strong 5x5 is easy and hits all the stuff that matters

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

i'm going to get a rack, bench, barbell, spotter arms, and like 540lbs of weights when i get back from japan. gotta figure out a short rack that i will like though. only have 88inches of height in the basement.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

The Fool posted:

strong 5x5 is easy and hits all the stuff that matters

agreed, these are excellent exercises and you don't ever have to go heavy, an empty bar or a light plate will give you plenty of benefits

i really like the looping gif animations on exrx to check my form

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Shouldn't go heavy without asking a doctor if you got hypermobility, too.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

apparently little jones loves chess

this is my hell

i taught him how to play before dinner tonight and oh lord i want him to enjoy it but i do not like this game

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

https://chess.com

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
lol i hated chess when i was a kid

mystes
May 31, 2006

I was kind of into chess for a little while when I was like 12 and even tried playing in a couple tournaments but I found it too stressful.

I also got into go for a little bit after college but I just kind of realized that it's impossible for me to just enjoy that kind of thing as a hobby that I spend a moderate amount of time on for fun, and I'd rather not do it all then have it turn into a huge time sink that I'm obsessed with and probably made unhappy by.

I respect people who are actually able to enjoy chess in a not dumb way though.

mystes fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 25, 2023

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?
i recently started playing chess and am enjoying puzzles. i feel like I've gotten much better at visualizing a series of moves, but i still miss a lot. however, actually playing a game, from the start, against a real person? awful, it takes so long to get somewhere interesting that i can feasibly think out

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

agreed, these are excellent exercises and you don't ever have to go heavy, an empty bar or a light plate will give you plenty of benefits

i really like the looping gif animations on exrx to check my form

exrx whips rear end

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Its a Rolex posted:

i recently started playing chess and am enjoying puzzles. i feel like I've gotten much better at visualizing a series of moves, but i still miss a lot. however, actually playing a game, from the start, against a real person? awful, it takes so long to get somewhere interesting that i can feasibly think out

ooh good point. i think i'd enjoy the puzzles. maybe doing those will make the regular game more fun.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Its a Rolex posted:

i can relate to this post

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

KidDynamite posted:

i'm going to get a rack, bench, barbell, spotter arms, and like 540lbs of weights when i get back from japan. gotta figure out a short rack that i will like though. only have 88inches of height in the basement.

https://www.roguefitness.com/sml-1-rogue-70-monster-lite-squat-stand-1

it's pricey but it'll fit

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Its a Rolex posted:

yeah i think you nailed it really. i enjoy puzzles (and did as a kid also), chess just takes forever

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i grew up with mahjong and mahjong solitaire bewilders and confounds me

i've never learned how it works and i never will

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

chess owns and i love to sit down irl with someone and take 1-2 hours on a single game and really think through each move

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

if you like chess puzzles then you can just learn some basic opening principles and then treat every move as it’s own puzzle

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

im pretty bad at chess but as far as board games go it's pretty ok. Rules are simple enough and you're mostly strategizing instead of doing rules lawyering

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

The best kind of chess is chess boxing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

PokeJoe posted:

The best kind of chess is chess boxing

is there a chess foxy boxing?