Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

i will definitely keep an eye out for eclipse. my ttrpg group has decided to switch to board games for a while after our campaign flamed out so we're gonna play oath for a few months and see where that gets us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

quiggy posted:

root loving owns and i'd be lying if i said i hadn't initially been interested in oath because it's the same designer, but as i've learned the rules and watched let's plays and stuff it seems like a very interesting thing and i'm very excited to put it in front of my group. just not looking forward to, y'know, teaching it

Root is really good to give to a group of casuals, especially if you do coworker game nights. The first two turn hand holding really helps.

I whipped it out, we got set up an started playing, a bunch of other coworkers made some cones of dunshire cracks and then went off to play munchkin.

2 hours later we had finished and they were still going

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

root looks a lot harder than it is, literally just follow the instructions on your player board and you'll do fine

(oath also appears to have very smartly-designed components, but as i haven't played it yet i can't say how well they shake out in gameplay)

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/Its_Jabo/status/1617312985441046531?t=6fOItnYZ38ftQeqQ5E0_lg&s=19

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

quiggy posted:

i usually start my teaches with the win condition and lol+lmao oath has four of them and none are simple :negative:

hey now, the one where one person can just roll a 6 is pretty simple!

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Endless Mike posted:

hey now, the one where one person can just roll a 6 is pretty simple!

"wincon one: roll a 6 on this die after turn five! note that you must be the chancellor and must be the oathkeeper and there must not be a successor, also the values change each subsequent round"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

gently caress i don't know why i never played more

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
between covid and i child i haven't played a board game in at least 3 years :sigh:

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
I miss playing mega-civ

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Mr. Crow posted:

between covid and i child i haven't played a board game in at least 3 years :sigh:

same, add on to that moving to a new city right before covid

I did play roll20 a bit during early covid, but that's not the same

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
eclipse 1e was a blast (what if: twilight imperium or stellar conquest, but doesnt take an entire weekend to play?)

i havent picked up 2e yet (only available on the secondary market, very expensive). kicking myself for missing the kickstarter

this weekend me and da boyz are going to start playing kings dilemma, hope it lives up to the hype

bay area yosgamers are reminded that dundracon in santa clara is next month (feb 17-20) and the game kastle near the airport is holding one of its semi-regular flea markets (feb 11) which are great for picking up cheap games (my copy of oath - kickstarter special edition, coins and resin tokens, still in shrinkwrap - cost me $50 at the last one)

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

:madmax:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I really want to play Pax Pamir with people but that's really tough to get on the table. Also weirdly even very simple bidding games. I think the requirement to actually come up with a strategy yourself is just totally prohibitive for some people

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

c rain world s:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

what loving dickhead rear end in a top hat came up with centipede-spiders

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

sweet christ alive i don't even want to alt-tab back in rn

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

INTROVERSION are back with an Early Access trailer for their next strategy builder THE LAST STARSHIP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q6-Xh6OuSY

looks like a lot of RIMWORLD base vibes but larger scale combat.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oooh that could be neat

Introversion coming up always makes me think of DEFCON. was never any good at it but I loved it for the atmosphere anyway

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

oh wow, this looks great. i couldn't get into prison architect simply because it was so bleak.. but i really enjoyed uplink and defcon

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

INTROVERSION are back with an Early Access trailer for their next strategy builder THE LAST STARSHIP

I highly appreciate the use of the PDWs from the expanse

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Ciaphas posted:

oooh that could be neat

Introversion coming up always makes me think of DEFCON. was never any good at it but I loved it for the atmosphere anyway

For me Introversion were always the DARWINIA guys, posted about it last year:

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Oh poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCr2_-hhG8

A Remaster that I totally missed, and its available as a free update to the original game, which is currently in the Steam sale for less than two quid

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1500/Darwinia/

If you have any love of RTS-lite, this was a fantastic bit of fun way back when, and I'm planning on doing a replay now I've seen this news.

Well worth a play if you never did, the A E S T H E T I C was unsurpassed.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

NoneMoreNegative posted:

this looks like the kind of game i could get really into for, like, 3 days and the drop and never play again

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

hey where the gently caress is kerbal 2

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

and suikoden 6, which will never happen!

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

that sounds like anime, for nerds

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i think konami turned the franchise into a pachinko cabinet or something

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
as long as tears of the kingdom comes out in may idgaf what happens

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

i wonder when the last time is that nintendo pushed back a game that had been given a specific month as a release window (other than the advance wars remake, which is turbo-cursed)

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

President Beep posted:

as long as tears of the kingdom comes out in may idgaf what happens

i dont think bob nintendo will allow any delay on that one

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Roosevelt posted:

i dont think bob nintendo will allow any delay on that one

"bob nintendo"

"my uncle who works at nintendo"

"bob's your uncle"

doing a big think

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

quiggy posted:

"bob nintendo"

"my uncle who works at nintendo"

"bob's your uncle"

doing a big think

hmm never considered this angle

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

quiggy posted:

that sounds like anime, for nerds

says the person asking for more muppet space adventure lol

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I'm really enjoying Lost Judgement. the main plot is heavy as gently caress wrt school bullying and suicide, hope the ending is as satisfying as judgement's was

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I'm REALLY looking forward to Like a Dragon: Ishin. I hope it comes out on PC and I can run it. I love samurai poo poo and missed Ghosts of Tsushima, I'm gonna be real choked if I miss Yakuza Samurai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-BLlfFRWU8

samurai kiryu :o:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

SmokaDustbowl posted:

says the person asking for more muppet space adventure lol

muppets are cool though

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

quiggy posted:

muppets are cool though

kerbals (tm)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

quiggy posted:

muppets are cool though

:hmmyes:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

quiggy posted:

muppets are cool though

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I'm really enjoying Lost Judgement. the main plot is heavy as gently caress wrt school bullying and suicide, hope the ending is as satisfying as judgement's was

I am still enjoying judgement’s story but I’m waiting for some super goofy yakuza-ey twist because although this game tries for a more serious tone then randomly you’ll do a sweet kick flip to back tailslide on a gangster’s car in a cutscene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

I am still enjoying judgement’s story but I’m waiting for some super goofy yakuza-ey twist because although this game tries for a more serious tone then randomly you’ll do a sweet kick flip to back tailslide on a gangster’s car in a cutscene

the silly stuff is there so you can take a break from the heavy poo poo, it gets even heavier in lost judgement. the studio really learns every game

I loving hated Akiyama in yakuza, so it's like they're making up for it in the judgement games

SmokaDustbowl fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 25, 2023