Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Have any of you read Tales From Alderwood? It's wrapping up its very lengthy second chapter, so now is not a bad time to catch up and see if it's up your alley.

It's about Katherine, a beginner mage/street thief in a loosely DnD inspired setting, who's magical curiosity has her stumbling into situations way above her punching weight.

If you like it by pages 15-16 it's probably your cup of tea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't remember if it came out when it was actually relevant, but I was looking at the old webcomic Daisy Owl recently despite it having been over for about 12 years, and discovered that the guy behind it went on to make Sunshine Heavy Industries, a game about designing spaceships.

It's a cute and chill little game and I recommend checking it out.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

isasphere posted:

Have any of you read Tales From Alderwood? It's wrapping up its very lengthy second chapter, so now is not a bad time to catch up and see if it's up your alley.

It's about Katherine, a beginner mage/street thief in a loosely DnD inspired setting, who's magical curiosity has her stumbling into situations way above her punching weight.

I like it, the writing is very Webcomic, though, I don't really know how else to describe it but it smacks of webcomic

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

isasphere posted:

Poop, I was really hoping this would be longer than it is! It's like 200 pages but the pacing is pretty slow. The art is very fun, it does a fabulous job of balancing simplicity and detail. Writing isn't super gripping but it's cute.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Tales from Alderwood has been posted in the CCCC webcomics thread (the good bad webcomics thread). There's also comics being posted piecemeal in there and also the PYF Comics thread if folks are looking to find stuff to read. BSS mods expunged the webcomics readers too hard for daring to be critical to webcomics, back in the day.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

The recent QC plot is just so aggressively boring. I just do not give a single poo poo about any of the two dozen new characters or their dumb problems.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Safari Disco Lion posted:

QC is just so aggressively boring.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
As opposed to that opinion which is so daring and exciting.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

QC cycles characters to keep the soap opera dynamic fresh but basically the same flavor, so when you find yourself bored of the characters I recommend just letting it go. It no longer serves you any purpose.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

i am still eagerly waiting for the day jj snaps and unleashes something of insane genius

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

a strange fowl posted:

i am still eagerly waiting for the day jj snaps and unleashes something of insane genius

Well, it’s nice to have something that’ll last your entire life.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

It's only frustrating to me cus he's clearly trying to drag out the drama of "am I writing Martin out of teh comic or am I abandoning the beloved Northampton setting?" for as long as he can take it, when the answer honestly probably would've been to write Marten out years ago and keep Claire.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Neito posted:

It's only frustrating to me cus he's clearly trying to drag out the drama of "am I writing Martin out of teh comic or am I abandoning the beloved Northampton setting?" for as long as he can take it, when the answer honestly probably would've been to write Marten out years ago and keep Claire.

Really? I thought he made it clear early on he didn't intend to do either of those things.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

QC is a slow-paced comic about living in a small place where not much ever happens, despite occasional diversions into weird high-tech stuff that exists on the periphery, and if you've been reading the comic and expecting that to change, you only have yourself to blame.

a strange fowl posted:

He did Alice Grove, I think that's the most you're ever going to get.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

QC is a slow-paced comic about living in a small place where not much ever happens

And yet it's not as slow paced as The Whiteboard, which reached its 20th anniversary last year but a character who has been there since the start is still only 24. It's like watching M*A*S*H, which had a Christmas episode in each of its 11 seasons but is set entirely during the Korean War (1950-53).

(Mind you, Doc lampshades that often enough. After one storyline contained two Halloweens and two Christmases despite covering just one weekend in story time, he did a week long segment where eight months story time passed... during the course of one five minute conversation.)

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I'm kind of into QC having turned into this "worm's eye view of the early days of the technological singularity" thing. Like I'm not going to call it a work of genius or anything, but Jeph set down years ago some basic themes and has been hewing largely to them - one in a strip where a character (I think Hannelore) describes how people are so bombarded with change these days that there's no energy to get worked up about it anymore for a lot of people, and in some other strips where mostly Marten but some other characters come to terms with how they're not going to be superstars in whatever field. We're in the singularity, and sure humanity is being sidelined by super-AI and is no longer the rock-star intelligence of the solar system, but that's all happening at a very high level and for most people life just goes on. Just now with robots who are also muddling through.

I still winced when I saw this new guy who has the same body model as Pintsize and is also a little chaos goblin of a person because goddamn man it's hard to be more blatant about sticking in a replacement character, though.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

disposablewords posted:

We're in the singularity, and sure humanity is being sidelined by super-AI and is no longer the rock-star intelligence of the solar system, but that's all happening at a very high level and for most people life just goes on.

It's completely unrealistic that some big nation, most likely the US, would not just end all life on the planet as this realization sets in though.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

If I cared about realism I wouldn't be interested in any stories that feature the singularity anyway.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

im sure that even if claire and marten fully move to quirky robot island qc is going to do the same thing it's always done and jump back and forth between whatever batch of characters jacques is interested in at the moment instead of actually writing anyone out

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
If anything the new setting just means more wacky funsters to fixate on for a month

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

disposablewords posted:

I'm kind of into QC having turned into this "worm's eye view of the early days of the technological singularity" thing. Like I'm not going to call it a work of genius or anything, but Jeph set down years ago some basic themes and has been hewing largely to them - one in a strip where a character (I think Hannelore) describes how people are so bombarded with change these days that there's no energy to get worked up about it anymore for a lot of people, and in some other strips where mostly Marten but some other characters come to terms with how they're not going to be superstars in whatever field. We're in the singularity, and sure humanity is being sidelined by super-AI and is no longer the rock-star intelligence of the solar system, but that's all happening at a very high level and for most people life just goes on. Just now with robots who are also muddling through.

I still winced when I saw this new guy who has the same body model as Pintsize and is also a little chaos goblin of a person because goddamn man it's hard to be more blatant about sticking in a replacement character, though.

Mostly Agree. Either way I think Martain and Claire moving to robot town would be just fine because:

dmboogie posted:

im sure that even if claire and marten fully move to quirky robot island qc is going to do the same thing it's always done and jump back and forth between whatever batch of characters jacques is interested in at the moment instead of actually writing anyone out

Like does it even matter if Faye and her robot girlfriend live in the same city as Martain and Clair or any other group of characters Jeph decides to focus on for a while? Other than when they go to hang out at the coffee shop or visit someone else's apartment or house every few months which they could totally just do anyways. As long as they are a weekend trip away, it will change nothing, just another "oh what have you been up to", and even then it mostly doesn't matter because entire subsets of characters barely interact with each other as it is.

I'm not worried in the first place because I'm not invested enough for there to be much that could happen that would cause me to be bothered, but I do enjoy the weird robot AI stuff more than anything lately, so I'm for it as much as I can be.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Joe Slowboat posted:

Well, it’s nice to have something that’ll last your entire life.
i never expected cad to deliver either, but watching the madness of the epilogue unfold in real time was a magical experience

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

a strange fowl posted:

i never expected cad to deliver either, but watching the madness of the epilogue unfold in real time was a magical experience

CAD ended? Wow.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jedit posted:

CAD ended? Wow.
Oh my god we have such sights to show you.
Trigger warning: strangling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e60JlM6ZXHc

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Jedit posted:

CAD ended? Wow.

Not really, but it did move away from its older format a significant amount.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Did the person writing Vigils for friends recommend it here? Because I read it and it was a hoot! Loved it.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
https://www.gofundme.com/f/alexnorrislegalfund

Apparently Alex Morris who drew some good comics is in a legal dispute over ownership of his work because of a board game, sounds lovely.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Benagain posted:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/alexnorrislegalfund

Apparently Alex Morris who drew some good comics is in a legal dispute over ownership of his work because of a board game, sounds lovely.

Golden Bell are an extremely scummy company who have pulled this poo poo on a lot of independent creators. They were banned from working on Kickstarter because of their M-O of approaching funded kickstarters to offer to help with "fulfillment" and then handing over contracts they knew naive people wouldn't read or understand that effectively signs away the creator's IP rights to them. It doesn't stop them from keeping that up but approaching people behind the scenes now.

It's come up a bunch related to TG discussions:

Kai Tave posted:

Here's some unexpected industry news: the guy who makes those "Oh No" comics you may have seen on twitter, with a pink blob guy, he's currently involved in a lawsuit because a board game company got him tangled up in a predatory contract they claim gives them ownership over his comic. That company? Golden Bell Studios.

https://twitter.com/dorrismccomics/status/1590035578724052992

https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/15766079/norris-v-goldner/

Golden Bell Studios is pretty infamous in boardgame industry circles for being run by a huge fuckin shithead rear end in a top hat who threatens to sue people all the time, which is kind of funny since he's apparently been sued successfully himself a half dozen times or so by other creators for pulling similarly shady contract poo poo, including a televised episode of the People's Court. here's an extensive article that goes into things in a lot more detail, including their most infamous fiasco which involved them trying to illegally ship board games via Media Mail to get around shipping costs and then requesting additional funding to cover shipping (when this plan didn't work) to be sent to the founder's own personal Paypal account.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Samovar posted:

Did the person writing Vigils for friends recommend it here? Because I read it and it was a hoot! Loved it.

Yeah, I remember that!

Vigils also did a crossover with Merry Hell recently, which I read through and also enjoyed a lot. There's something charming about that kind of grungy, punky webcomic still existing and being funny in the modern day.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Nuns with Guns posted:

Golden Bell are an extremely scummy company who have pulled this poo poo on a lot of independent creators. They were banned from working on Kickstarter because of their M-O of approaching funded kickstarters to offer to help with "fulfillment" and then handing over contracts they knew naive people wouldn't read or understand that effectively signs away the creator's IP rights to them. It doesn't stop them from keeping that up but approaching people behind the scenes now.

Oh man, Golden Bell. They have a history of screwing over comic creators like that.

One of the founders tried to rope me into their comics publishing scheme a while back when I met him at Baltimore Comic Con. I still have the "Sunday Comics" broadsheet he was passing around at the con. Some of the artists I know got roped into it (thankfully for the last time once his scummy behavior came to light)

SavoyTruffle
Jan 20, 2005

~~grief is good~~

Samovar posted:

Yes, me! Thank you very much

Stupacabra
Nov 11, 2021

read Merry Hell

Tenebrais posted:

Yeah, I remember that!

Vigils also did a crossover with Merry Hell recently, which I read through and also enjoyed a lot. There's something charming about that kind of grungy, punky webcomic still existing and being funny in the modern day.

This is very kind, thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it. The comic (Merry Hell) will be coming back on the 28th Feb.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
The latest Vigils for Friends has some banger pages

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Does anyone remember Daily Grind Iron Man Challenge? It was a challenge where webcomic creators bet on who can last the longest without missing an update to their webcomic.

Well, I found out that it ended in 2020. It lasted 15 years.

https://twitter.com/MikkiHEL/status/1287713550811758592

(thread)

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Mister Beeg posted:

Does anyone remember Daily Grind Iron Man Challenge? It was a challenge where webcomic creators bet on who can last the longest without missing an update to their webcomic.

(thread)

holy poo poo lol

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

Mister Beeg posted:

(thread)

do you think this qualifies as torture?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mister Beeg posted:

(thread)

Weird, I thought Howard Tayler was in the DGIMC and I don't recall him missing a day on Schlock Mercenary. Which ended three days before that tweet, and might have been what made someone think of it.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Jedit posted:

Weird, I thought Howard Tayler was in the DGIMC and I don't recall him missing a day on Schlock Mercenary. Which ended three days before that tweet, and might have been what made someone think of it.

I thought he missed one (1) day because of a transformer exploding and taking out the server farm that hosted the comic, but he says otherwise.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Yeah, the comic that day did go up before the end as a barebone html page on an alternate server showing just that, once the domain-record update had propagated.

Regardless, the DGIMC seems to have only specified a new comic every weekday and the server room exploded on a saturday.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Today was the 20th anniversary of Dinosaur Comics and that makes me feel weird.