Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Improbable Lobster posted:

what if i don't give a gently caress about virtual "me"

if i'm not real than neither is the pain or whatever

pretending to be virtual you is how the ai tricks you into empathizing with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Sagebrush posted:

If a true strong AI is ever created, I doubt it will be recognizable as a human-like intelligence. We barely understand how our own cognition works, let alone intelligent animals', so I suspect that an electronic intelligence would be completely unknowable. Humans trying to assign human characteristics to one would be like fish trying to understand a submarine.

i find it profound that recent, spectacular advances in language models have managed to perfectly mimic the low-information, incurious, overly confident internet communication that serves as a key substrate for our culture. we've done it, we've duplicated human intelligence. human intelligence just sucks.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

of course someone who calls soccer "football" is a creep

wikipedia editors get really upset if you change uk words to us.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

akadajet posted:

fine, fine....

of course someone who calls soccer "football" is a creep nonce

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

akadajet posted:

yeah. plus they have all sorts of erroneous articles for the english word for a thing instead of just redirecting to the real article

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

iirc the policy used to be (maybe still is idk) that whatever english dialect an article was created in was the canonical one for the en. prefix

so americans were just too slow to colonize lol

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

fool of sound posted:

The book has been called "the most controversial novel ever written in Canada"

The main character does not apologize even once throughout the whole story

Gubbinal Girl
Apr 11, 2022

Sagebrush posted:

not worthless, just fun

In the biblical account, the name manna is said to derive from the "question" man hu, seemingly meaning "What is it?",[12] which is perhaps derived from Aramaic, not Hebrew.[13] Man is possibly cognate with the Arabic term man, meaning aphids, with man hu thus meaning "this is aphids",[13]

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

as always, midrash is lit

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Gubbinal Girl posted:

In the biblical account, the name manna is said to derive from the "question" man hu, seemingly meaning "What is it?",[12] which is perhaps derived from Aramaic, not Hebrew.[13] Man is possibly cognate with the Arabic term man, meaning aphids, with man hu thus meaning "this is aphids",[13]

eating big handfuls of aphids from heaven

Sauzer
Jan 31, 2006
Some Sort of Guy

Carthag Tuek posted:

iirc the policy used to be (maybe still is idk) that whatever english dialect an article was created in was the canonical one for the en. prefix

so americans were just too slow to colonize lol
c’mon, it’s Wikipedia so that is not nearly a complicated enough policy:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Manual_of_Style#National_varieties_of_English

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
shot

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Among_Us_chicken_nugget

chaser

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Among_Us_chicken_nugget#Merge_into_Among_Us

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

put wikipedia editors into manual labor camps

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
harsh but fair

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

quote:

Sand dollars are named as such not for their monetary value, but because of their appearance.

drat, there go my retirement plans

Gubbinal Girl
Apr 11, 2022

Printing $2 bills is half as expensive for the government as printing $1 notes, since they both cost the same amount (6.2 cents per bill) to manufacture

ColTim
Oct 29, 2011
Following the Los Angeles Police Department, Cop Rock features an ensemble cast of police officers and detectives as they solve crimes across the city, with the series mixing musical and choreography throughout storylines and to introduce new characters.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

ColTim posted:

Following the Los Angeles Police Department, Cop Rock features an ensemble cast of police officers and detectives as they commit crimes across the city, with the series mixing musical and choreography throughout storylines and to introduce new characters.

ftfy

Internet Poster
Nov 1, 2020

Ice Fishing North American is often a social activity . some have a fish houses that are rented out by day : often shuttle service by snow track or modified to drive on Ice is provided . In North Armenian portable houses appear to Crater city at locations where fishing is done.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/-ussy

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

For violations of law, see Crime.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Membership requirements for applicants include being at least 18 years of age and have a documented ownership of at least one qualifying high-quality costume of a Star Wars villain.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

It was also featured in the Green Day-themed Rock Band game Green Day: Rock Band.

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Today, a business-to-business (B2B) white paper is closer to a marketing presentation, a form of content meant to persuade customers and partners and promote a certain product or viewpoint. That makes B2B white papers a type of grey literature.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Robert Earnest Rozier Jr. (born July 28, 1955) is an American murderer and former defensive end.

that's the entire opening paragraph

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/maggieserota/status/1008684217499299840

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

cw: racist pedantry

I'm opposed to racial insensitivity like most others, but this is ridiculous. The mention of the "friend of the family toes" term in the current version of the article is loaded with a sense of politically correct hesitation and moral bias. It's as if the writer was so uncomfortable with the existence of this historical fact that they felt the need to announce their disapproval of it.

The sentence reads: "An old pejorative slang term in the United States was 'friend of the family toes'." However, not only is the term poorly mentioned (along with an ambiguous reference to its purported antiquity), its label isn't even accurate. Going by the Wikipedia article for "pejorative" that it linked to: "A word or phrase is pejorative if it implies contempt or disapproval." Yet the term "friend of the family toes" is not a pejorative term for the Brazil Nut, given that it does not aim to disparage or belittle the nut itself. Yes, it was a slang term; yes, it was a term based on another term that was often (but not always) used pejoratively; but, no, it was not a pejorative term in itself. Furthermore, I doubt that many people who referred to Brazil Nuts as "friend of the family toes" meant it in a disrespectful way, regardless of the insensitivity (or silliness) many of us may personally find in it today. Either way, however, the 'properness' of its usage is not relevant to its inclusion—it was a common and widespread term (which I can also personally attest to, though I've never used it myself), and thus bears mentioning as a fact of history, regrettable or not.

Afterall, Wikipedia is a source of encyclopedic information; it should not be a place to espouse personal views. Removing or censoring any facts that might be deemed offensible by some would be to misunderstand its purpose and to misrepresent its content. You are doing no service to its readers by making moral judgments for them, or by deciding which information they should have access to.

That being said, I have modified the sentence to state the following: "Though it has largely fallen into disuse since the latter 20th century, a common slang term for the nuts in some regions of the United States was "friend of the family toes", due to some finding a similarity in appearance between the unshelled nuts and the toes of African Americans." --— Poga — 08:55, 8 November 2006 (UTC)

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Feb 1, 2023

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The name comes from the Hindustani (originally Persian) word barf, which means snow.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

A sequel, The Brave Little Toaster Goes to Mars, was released in 1998, which was strangely released first as the film took place after To the Rescue when Rob McGoarty became a father.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

FMguru posted:

somewhere out there is a ronstadt/zappa ad jingle for electric razors
someone turned up a copy of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbIpO8WeT3k

its, um, very frank zappa

not hard to see why it wasnt used

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

FMguru posted:

someone turned up a copy of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbIpO8WeT3k

its, um, very frank zappa

not hard to see why it wasnt used

reminds me of this, which obviously came much later
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s492PMdIaJs

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

speaking of weird music miscellany, wikipedia taught me about brian wilsons obsession with the song shortenin bread

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

brian wilson was a fuckin nutjob lmao

probably still is but who knows if there’s enough left in the scrambled eggs in his noggin to form sentience

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
he's cool and smart actually

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

he was (is?) nuts but also very cool and a brilliant musician. i read tom oneill's chaos about the manson murders last year and there was a lot of very sus poo poo going on around the beach boys in the 60s. lots of weird questions raised about dennis wilson. brian wilson's psychologist eugene landy seemed like a grade a piece of poo poo.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

post hole digger posted:

he was (is?) nuts but also very cool and a brilliant musician. i read tom oneill's chaos about the manson murders last year and there was a lot of very sus poo poo going on around the beach boys in the 60s. lots of weird questions raised about dennis wilson. brian wilson's psychologist eugene landy seemed like a grade a piece of poo poo.

Much of these expenses went on cars, clothes, food and penicillin injections for their persistent gonorrhoea.

jeez

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

post hole digger posted:

there was a lot of very sus poo poo going on around the beach boys in the 60s

well spill the beans already

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Kazinsal posted:

brian wilson was a fuckin nutjob lmao

probably still is but who knows if there’s enough left in the scrambled eggs in his noggin to form sentience

Tweezer Reprise posted:

he's cool and smart actually

porque no los dos?

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

brian wilson seems to have somewhat solved his mental issues now and there are a couple of recent live shows that you can watch on youtube.

he might even be touring and his group is definitely better than mike loves cringe beach boys show that i went to last year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

EGOT, an acronym for the Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, and Tony Awards, is the designation given to people who have won all four of the major entertainment awards.[1][2] Respectively, these awards honor outstanding achievements in television, recording, film, and Broadway theatre.[3] Achieving the EGOT has been referred to as the "grand slam" of show business.[1][4] As of 2023, 17 people have accomplished this feat.[5]

The EGOT acronym was coined by actor Philip Michael Thomas in late 1984, when his role on the new hit show Miami Vice brought him instant fame, and he stated a desire to achieve the EGOT within five years.[6][7] Thomas has never been nominated for any of the EGOT awards.