Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

if you have karma greater than one, that means you post to hackernews. what a terrible mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

pro snipe right there :c00lbert:

mystes
May 31, 2006

nvrgrls posted:

Can everyone spend the next page posting how much karma they have on hn? I have 3468 points and still can't downvote submissions. What gives?
I don't think anyone can downvote submissions

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i had 3614 karma when i came to my senses and stopped posting there in 2019. had comment downvotes after something like 1500, but never saw submission downvote

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
next let’s compare slashdot user IDs

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

the only hn account i ever had was banned after a single post, as god willed.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

slashdot account is 643***, karma: bad,, last post almost 20 years ago :getin:

now to reminisce about kuro5hin or whatever that other early 00s site was.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

nudgenudgetilt posted:

i had 3614 karma when i came to my senses and stopped posting there in 2019. had comment downvotes after something like 1500, but never saw submission downvote

Comment downvotes are after 500 karma afaik.

mumble mumble. 24486. mumble.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

eschaton posted:

next let’s compare slashdot user IDs

79**

it was a different time

113 hn karma

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

6.8"

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

that's a big phone

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

almost nice

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

if you have karma greater than one, that means you post to hackernews. what a terrible mistake.

I love posting on hacker news.

Never had a slashdot account or a k5 account.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Mr.Radar posted:

mikewarot 47 minutes ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: What Happened with the Substation Attack in North ...

I watched the video with great interest, then immediately downloaded a copy from YouTube when I first saw it, because I was sure it wasn't going to be around later in the day to show my friend. I assumed it would get struck by YouTube, but here we are.

This lead me to realize that I'm now habituated to an environment where telling the truth seems like a forbidden act.

“i was completely incorrect, which really supports my point when you think about it” is a great genre of post

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

there is an article "is tipping out of control? many consumers say yes" on the front page that currently has 661 comments

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

tee_0 21 minutes ago | next [–]

I’m looking forward to twitter. When they start hosting video in a serious way and also long documents that will be very interesting. I think it’s ironic because all the people defiantly switching to a decentralized platform are just making twitters success more inevitable by drawing attention to platforms that will fail regardless rather than one of twitters serious competitors. The real decentralized system has been in front of us the whole time: the market. Only nerds will ever use federated, decentralized systems, only nerds will ever accept the trade offs that come with them. Regular people don’t act on principle, especially on things they don’t know anything about. Centralized platforms like twitter will continue to dominate because huge numbers of people will use them and feed them with the breath of life.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

that poor bastard just got awaken from cryo sleep after being put under in '07.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

if mastodon is a nerd place full of nerds then I'll happily stay on mastodon anyway

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

xvector 1 hour ago | parent | context | prev | next [–] | on: U.S. accuses Google of abusing monopoly in ad tech...

Lina Khan may have written great papers but she isn't fit for the job. She harbors a hate for big tech and cannot be impartial in her dealings.
See her recent attempt to prevent Meta from acquiring Within. There is no sane, level-headed case that could possibly paint this acquisition as an antitrust violation. Even most legal experts will agree that Lina Khan's case is a stretch at best.
It's clear that this case is simply motivated by a hatred for Meta more than anything rational, and such decision making can harm the emergence of nascent technology such as AR/VR.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

hatred for Meta is a rational position

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
strangely enough holding an open pro-big-business bias is never a disqualifier for anything, only anti-.

wonder what's up with that

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I’m sure it’s entirely coincidental and not at all worth investigating or interrogating

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

quote:

I chose to contribute my collected ADS-B data to ADS-B Exchange rather than Flightradar24 just because ADS-B Exchange was community driven and not owned by a company.
I just turned off my sharing and looking for alternatives. If anyone know of any, please share them :)

quote:

Why not create a blockchain on webtorrent?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

wonderwonder 27 minutes ago | parent | prev | next [–]

100% this. How many acts of violence by lonely men would be avoided if they had just had the opportunity to go out, drop $150 and have sex. Especially sex that catered to whatever fetish they happened to indulge in. I have no scientific numbers to back this but I am willing to be the answer is "a lot". I feel like if an isolated, angry virgin was able to have sex in a non judgmental environment they would lose their hostility and likely be all the better for it.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

low_tech_punk 43 minutes ago | parent | prev | next [–]

If people consider marriage as a contract of exchange, then it is already a form of legalized prostitution. Monogamy might be a bigger underlying problem.
Esther Perel's Mating in Captivity in a good read on this topic.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

ah yes, all those angry men who will go and do a mass shooting or whatever, but refuse to visit a prostitute because that's against the law

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
normalizing treating women as purchasable commodities will surely lead to a society-wide reduction in misogyny

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

FMguru posted:

normalizing treating women as purchasable commodities will surely lead to a society-wide reduction in misogyny

misogyny reduction is not a stated goal

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Jose Valasquez posted:

low_tech_punk 43 minutes ago | parent | prev | next [–]

If people consider marriage as a contract of exchange, then it is already a form of legalized prostitution. Monogamy might be a bigger underlying problem.
Esther Perel's Mating in Captivity in a good read on this topic.

wait hang on there

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
only psychopaths think of marriage as a contract of exchange, op

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

only psychopaths think of marriage as a contract of exchange, op

And people from like 1500 years ago

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
RangerScience 23 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Ask HN: What would be your stack if you are buildi...

Rails if I want a database, Sinatra if I don't.

Ruby just... wants you to be happy while you're using it. And in the long run of life, that matters.

Python wants to be correct, Java wants you to not make mistakes, JS is still figuring itself out, Scala wants to do hard things...

Ruby wants you to be happy.

IMO - There's a lot of very worthwhile follow-on effects of that - everything from libraries (generally) being just that much easier to get going with, to lower-stress teams having better communication, to debates instead of fights (I'm looking at you, PEP572). Ruby is nice so we are nice :)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

quote:

Python wants to be correct, Java wants you to not make mistakes

hn and all but (a) Python wants you to be correct?; and (b) what exactly does he see as the distinction here?

mystes
May 31, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

hn and all but (a) Python wants you to be correct?; and (b) what exactly does he see as the distinction here?
technically they didn't say "python wants you to be correct" they said "python wants to be correct" but I'm not sure if that distinction was intended to be meaningful

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
princevegeta89 23 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

Well, my 2c is that making money is an enjoyable activity as well. As someone who loved all the RTS/Tycoon games back in 2000's, I look at making money through own ventures as just another game at the same time

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

hi, i'm princevegeta89, and i'm looking for love. i like candlelit dinners, long walks on the beach, and as many ventures as i can handle

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

If it runs, it is correct, and python "wants" to run almost anything without giving up at compile time like some prissy language for children.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

i was not previously familiar with this particular take on open source licenses

honkler 40 minutes ago [flagged] [dead] | parent | context | flag | vouch | favorite | on: What is Google doing with its open source teams?

with GPL license, you allow a man to have coitus with your wife IF AND ONLY IF he takes pictures of the acts and shares it with the entire town.
With BSD/MIT license you allow him to have a great time even if he keep it to himself.
Both of these are instances of cuckoldry (excuse my words). The better alternative obviously is to keep source to yourself and sell software.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

“honkler”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

found rotor's hn acct