Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Desert Bus posted:

The lady that kept emailing me who was getting scammed stopped awhile ago. I just did some Googling, and scammer killed her via taking away her medication money. :(

Holy poo poo

smackfu posted:

hotel bar

:ms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Easychair Bootson posted:

They're just betting that credit card usage is so ubiquitous now that it's an easy way to recoup those fees.

I think overhead from transaction fees is usually rolled into the menu price. It’s actually unusual that they adjust for people paying with cash.

Desert Bus posted:

The lady that kept emailing me who was getting scammed stopped awhile ago. I just did some Googling, and scammer killed her via taking away her medication money. :(

That’s heartbreaking :(

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Fruits of the sea posted:

I think overhead from transaction fees is usually rolled into the menu price. It’s actually unusual that they adjust for people paying with cash.

Exhibit 42069 in even petty capital going 'gently caress you what are you gonna do about it'.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Gratuity and surcharge creep is related to the broad, slow-moving reduction in living standards, at least in the US. Profitability is an increasingly difficult proposition for business that actually sell a product or a service (rather than engaging in financial bullshit), but simply raising sticker prices to achieve profitability will scare away customers whose disposable income is continuing to drop. But using gratuities to supplement worker pay (rather than giving raises) and adding surcharges rather than increasing the sticker price, they're able to squeeze a bit of blood from the stone. It's a very short-term band-aid, and it's not going to work for long.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
TBH I kinda wonder where the family and friends were who kept told her she was getting scammed. Guessing she had begged before and sent it off to the scammer a LOT.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Not necessarily a scam but I think the 5x sped up disclaimers for audio ads and all that 4 point that no one can read on a TV ad no matter how 4k it is should be loving outlawed. They could save us all a lot of time and just put

NOTHING WE JUST SAID IS TRUE gently caress YOU GIVE US MONEY

in a 48 point Impact font like a meme and just be done with it.

The radio ads in particular are hilarious and sped up so fast at the end that they sound like Alvin the Chipmunk.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Kenning posted:

Gratuity and surcharge creep is related to the broad, slow-moving reduction in living standards, at least in the US. Profitability is an increasingly difficult proposition for business that actually sell a product or a service (rather than engaging in financial bullshit), but simply raising sticker prices to achieve profitability will scare away customers whose disposable income is continuing to drop. But using gratuities to supplement worker pay (rather than giving raises) and adding surcharges rather than increasing the sticker price, they're able to squeeze a bit of blood from the stone. It's a very short-term band-aid, and it's not going to work for long.
destination marketing fee

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Gig companies in California pushed hard and spent a gob-ton of cash for a statewide ballot initiative that would ensure workers weren’t classified as actual employees (which would have given them outlandish perks like “get paid minimum wage”). It won by a slim margin, largely on the back of the false advertising claiming that it was actually supporting drivers.

Cut to a year later and many order-in/food delivery companies are now adding an additional “fee” to every transaction that explicitly references the proposal, none of which goes to the drivers. Customers are literally paying companies to fund the next round of worker protection erosion, and the companies are doing it in the open, because they know nobody will care.

Reminds me of the meme about paying an invoice to the electric company with line items like “what are you gonna do, not pay it?” fee.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Very cool that here in California, supposed bulwark of liberal values, it is now constitutionally enshrined that gig workers can eat poo poo and are glorified slaves to capital. Really the bulwark of neoliberal values, I guess. :shepicide:

Granted while it loving sucks that prop 22 passed that really had no effect on gig economy companies dropping fees on stuff. Had it failed and Doordash/Uber/etc had to actually pay their labor, they would have just tacked on a "prop 22" fee the same way to pass the difference onto the consumer. Because at the end of the day none of these gig economy companies are actually operating under a sustainable model: it's all just grift bankrolled by endless VC money on the hope that eventually some miraculous technology (usually driverless cars) will come along and make the business model profitable.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I hope that they shrivel up and die and take the VC’s who are funding them with them and leave them paupers

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I’ve started playing Fran Turismo 7 and my first 6 roulette rewards every single one of them has landed on the lowest value prize, seems like a scam, the probability of that happening naturally seems very low.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Sounds like you need to Write A Letter

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

bird with big dick posted:

I’ve started playing Fran Turismo 7 and my first 6 roulette rewards every single one of them has landed on the lowest value prize, seems like a scam, the probability of that happening naturally seems very low.

Roulette rewards in a car game? Wtf?

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

My understanding is that the prize is pre-determined and the other 4 prizes you see in the spin are just similar prizes from the same tier.

The entire in-game economy is a scam though, so you're technically correct, which is of course the best kind of correct.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I’ve started playing Fran Turismo 7

I’m seeing the first problem.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Volmarias posted:

It's usually on the menu somewhere that parties of 8 or more (or whatever the number happens to be) have a tip automatically added. I put this down less to "mmm money gimmegimmegimme" and more "when people split the bill the tip gets lost in the calculation" and "well I'm already paying $xxx, they should be making more than enough from me already!" which sucks for the poor wait staff who aren't going to see any of that.
That’s been around forever, but recently some restaurants have started just adding a tip to all bills, particularly in Miami. Their weak justification there is that many of their customers are foreign and don’t know about how tipping works in the US.

At least some of them have it show up as “gratuity” but often the line item is just “service charge”.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Living in SFL with my UK accent I always double check for that but I’m kinda surprised how few times it’s happened. And when it does it’s usually for 18% which is generally a bit under what I’d give anyway, so they just short change themselves.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

That’s been around forever, but recently some restaurants have started just adding a tip to all bills, particularly in Miami. Their weak justification there is that many of their customers are foreign and don’t know about how tipping works in the US.

This is actually kind of true. We used to get bus loads of Canadian customers when I waited tables and eventually we started adding in 15% because the whole restaurant would fill up and none of the servers would make any money for the next two and a half hours. Often, it was even more frustrating because of the language barrier where many of them spoke French.

Not defending the place in Miami or the pay structure of tipping in general but that stuff does happen.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

BiggerBoat posted:

Often, it was even more frustrating because of the language barrier where many of them spoke French.

I wonder what percentage can speak English perfectly fine, and just pretend not to. We hate the snowbirds down here for the most part, in the same way the Spanish undoubtedly hate the English/French during the summer.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

EL BROMANCE posted:

We hate the snowbirds down here for the most part, in the same way the Spanish undoubtedly hate the English/French during the summer.

je ne me souviens plus comment conduire

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Tipping is absolutely a thing in Canada, those ones are just non tippers

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

I’ve no poo poo had the phrase “Fran Turismo 7” sort of just appear in my mind twice a day, minimum, since this was posted.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

teen witch posted:

I’ve no poo poo had the phrase “Fran Turismo 7” sort of just appear in my mind twice a day, minimum, since this was posted.

Is it coupled with the image of an open top Miata driven by The Nanny?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

StormDrain posted:

Is it coupled with the image of an open top Miata driven by The Nanny?

Now it is

Bony-Eared Assfish
Oct 4, 2018
I was thinking more of a racing game with all the engine and wheel sounds done by Fran Drescher. I can't get the sound out of my head. Help.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Facebook is a cesspit and every time I'm lazily browsing through it I get scammier and scammier ads, probably because I read them for entertainment and that counts as engagement. This one stood out to me in how obviously unsavory it is and yet people still throw their money at it:

"Making 1000/night on a house I DON'T own"

The long and short of the scheme is tricking homeowners into letting you manage their property and then renting out their property as an Airbnb. And also defying market research and wildly inflating the per night price of the property. The ad itself is an invitation to sign up for a course.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Additional scam layer: if they're trying to sell it as a course it probably means it doesn't work anymore. :v:

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.
Within the past week or so, two friends of mine have separately gotten weird texts that are just a single picture of a woman's (or at least female-presenting) hand holding a drink. One friend got a picture of some kind of iced coffee or frozen drink, completely free of branding. The other got a photo of a bottle of wine (you can see the label in this one). Neither had any text accompanying the image whatsoever- it was just a photo sent over SMS with nothing else.

Is this some kind of weird scam trying to goad them into replying and then getting into the scammy part? Or did two friends of mine just happen to get two very similar wrong-number texts within the same few days and there's some poor actual friend who didn't get confirmation that their friend/partner was indeed coming home with the correct drinks?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Just another catfish

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

m0therfux0r posted:

Within the past week or so, two friends of mine have separately gotten weird texts that are just a single picture of a woman's (or at least female-presenting) hand holding a drink. One friend got a picture of some kind of iced coffee or frozen drink, completely free of branding. The other got a photo of a bottle of wine (you can see the label in this one). Neither had any text accompanying the image whatsoever- it was just a photo sent over SMS with nothing else.

Is this some kind of weird scam trying to goad them into replying and then getting into the scammy part? Or did two friends of mine just happen to get two very similar wrong-number texts within the same few days and there's some poor actual friend who didn't get confirmation that their friend/partner was indeed coming home with the correct drinks?

I've gotten that one a lot - I think they're just fishing for active numbers. There's also one with a blonde lady's selfie that I've gotten like three times from three different numbers. I feel bad for the lady whose photo was stolen.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Someone created a copy of my father in law's Facebook profile then friended me and sent one of those generic "Hi, how you are doing? How are things with you?". I am picturing Steve Buscemi's "How do you do fellow kids?". Whenever I get one of those texts.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

m0therfux0r posted:

I have seen people post online about "wrong number" scams where a pretty lady texts them "on accident" and this somehow ends with them a week later sending thousands of dollars worth of bitcoin to someone to "invest" for them, and then whoops the money is gone.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Spatial posted:

Additional scam layer: if they're trying to sell it as a course it probably means it doesn't work anymore. :v:

You're assuming it ever did.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

There's no way the scheme I refer to works, as there are too many things to go wrong. How do you generate leads of homeowners looking for a property manager without being one? (Lie to a service) How do you convince the homeowner to let you rent out their property? (You're not going to tell them) What if they visit their home? (You are instructed to find homeowners unlikely to do this, like sudden overseas travel)

My favorite part of the video is probably how they rationalize increasing rent on their illegal Airbnb listing: "This rent estimator says a listing like this in the area goes for about 300/night. But I know the area and combined with the renovations I did I know I can easily raise to 1000/night." The only way that can possibly work is with fake reviews, as anyone with a brain knows they can just get a hotel for a fraction of that. Also you renovated a property you don't own?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Got a new SMS today. Strongly suspect that the Australian tax office isn't using line.pm instead of ATO.gov.au.

<ATO> Your claim has returned. Please verify your details to receive your refund now at: https://atoreturnings.line.pm/ret/MyGovATO

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Nice that all the links in that, save for the important one, actually appear to my Canadian eyes to point to what appears to be the official site.

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.

Crust First posted:

I have seen people post online about "wrong number" scams where a pretty lady texts them "on accident" and this somehow ends with them a week later sending thousands of dollars worth of bitcoin to someone to "invest" for them, and then whoops the money is gone.

That's what was weird about this- you couldn't even see what the person looked like at all. The only reason I said "female-presenting" was because the person had nail polish in both photos. The only part of the person visible was their hand/wrist. The looking for active numbers thing makes sense though.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

m0therfux0r posted:

That's what was weird about this- you couldn't even see what the person looked like at all. The only reason I said "female-presenting" was because the person had nail polish in both photos. The only part of the person visible was their hand/wrist. The looking for active numbers thing makes sense though.

https://youtu.be/BniKoHRlMi0

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

My wife got the “mum” scam text and replied so expertly they went quiet after this lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

smellmycheese posted:

My wife got the “mum” scam text and replied so expertly they went quiet after this lol

:perfect: