Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
6 hours last night, due to dwarf fortress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i slept early and woke up late. no one noticed that i logged in late. i'll call it a win

but also still tired

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Poopernickel posted:

Yes to both. Does that stuff really work? What kind of dosage do I want?

Sometimes I take 12.5mg of doxyamine (half tablet of unisom), and it knocks me the gently caress out. But I wake up groggy and cranky - hard to dad well the next morning.

melatonin can often help but ultimately depends on why someone isn’t sleeping well

same with magnesium. it’s an essential ingredient to a good sleep, but by itself isn’t a sleep aid

give some melatonin a shot. its definitely a better approach than sedating antihistamines

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

echinopsis posted:

melatonin can often help but ultimately depends on why someone isn’t sleeping well

same with magnesium. it’s an essential ingredient to a good sleep, but by itself isn’t a sleep aid

give some melatonin a shot. its definitely a better approach than sedating antihistamines

magnesium will give you the shits, too

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

ah, here comes the yawning

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i don't usually have a problem falling asleep, i typically wake up too early and toss n turn until my alarm goes off. rarely do i ever actually sleep until my alarm wakes me. was up at 5 am today, had nothing to do so i went into work super early so i get to leave extra early as well :cool:

the problem is i dont adjust my bed time for this, so it compounds until i really need to nap to catch up

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i do that thing whereby I don’t have a ton of free time during the day so i stay up too late reading about poo poo like the fall of byzantium in wikipedia (legit fascinating read, btw).

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

President Beep posted:

i do that thing whereby I don’t have a ton of free time during the day so i stay up too late reading about poo poo like the fall of byzantium in wikipedia (legit fascinating read, btw).

check out the BBC podcast 'In Our Time'. there's 20+ years worth of episodes and it's a real eclectic mix of topics presented by academics and it's just dry enough to be interesting but not so much that you don't feel bad falling asleep half way through a discussion of Welsh mythology, Chinese legalism, or the life of Goethe.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Sweevo posted:

check out the BBC podcast 'In Our Time'. there's 20+ years worth of episodes and it's a real eclectic mix of topics presented by academics and it's just dry enough to be interesting but not so much that you don't feel bad falling asleep half way through a discussion of Welsh mythology, Chinese legalism, or the life of Goethe.

badass. sounds right up my alley (dilettante street)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i took a nap and still tired

if you're looking for a good time waster archive.org is a gem, there's pretty much anything you could possibly want and most of it has a decent browser interface

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Sweevo posted:

this sounds laser targeted towards me

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
https://archive.org/details/podcasts

it's there, somewhere

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
pretty tired after work. have to go to yoga too

pretty much this irl https://reductress.com/post/3-cures-for-low-energy-that-all-require-energy/

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Roosevelt posted:

magnesium will give you the shits, too

only if you do it wrong

magnesium is always present as a salt and the other ion matters, some tend to cause constipation, others can tend to cause loose bowels, some have better absorption than others.. a good magnesium supplement will be a good blend of salts that minimise side effects

most of the time with most supplements you can easily compare value for money and just get the cheapest but with magnesium you sorta gotta get the good ones

apparently magnesium threonate is very good but we don’t have it here so don’t know so much about it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

idk about that but most magnesium you can buy for human consumption will make you poop

not instantly, though

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Beeftweeter posted:

idk about that but most magnesium you can buy for human consumption will make you poop

not instantly, though

gotta pay extra for that

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I'm tired, but I have to wait for my laundry to finish

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

thanx for reminding me to throw my underwear in the dryer before bed

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

not instantly, though

no offence but who probably knows more about magnesium supplementation between you and me

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

echinopsis posted:

no offence but who probably knows more about magnesium supplementation between you and me

me

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Sweevo posted:

we have a collection of "going to sleep" bbc podcasts, they're:
* in our time, which is legit excellent (they need to edit out Melvyn Bragg's breathing sounds though)
* Gardener's Question Time. I've listed to easily 100 hours of this and know absolutely nothing more about gardening than when i started.
* Ramblings

i tried 99% invisible but it doesn't quite work, something about the editing and subject matter being a bit too bothered about engagement. The early episodes of Outside/In are good though, newer ones are a bit too topical to fall asleep to.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I need to figure out how to go to bed earlier

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
i'd rather wake up later

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I go to bed at 10:30, wake up at 8 and I still get tired

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

first you lay in the bed, then you close your eyes

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Achmed Jones posted:

first you lay in the bed, then you close your eyes

partial answer. your only thinking in three dimensions

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
got like 7.5 hours of pretty good sleep and am still Tired

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i wasn't tired at all then i just had a 2 hour meeting and now i'm really tired

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Alicorn posted:

do you do drugs in the evening

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

woke up at 5 yesterday morning, couldn't fall back asleep. woke up at 4 this morning, managed to doze off again but didn't feel like good sleep. tgif

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

echinopsis posted:

do you do drugs in the evening

what, like mescaline?

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

we have a new baby so i am tired

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Alicorn posted:

what, like mescaline?

amongst others, yes

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

it was on my clipboard lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

ADINSX posted:

we have a new baby so i am tired

upgrade to old baby

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Sweevo posted:

i havent listened to this podcast in a long time but it was awesome in the early days of podcasting when there were like 8 podcasts and 5 of them sucked.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

echinopsis posted:

amongst others, yes

only prescriptions

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

echinopsis posted:

only if you do it wrong

magnesium is always present as a salt and the other ion matters, some tend to cause constipation, others can tend to cause loose bowels, some have better absorption than others.. a good magnesium supplement will be a good blend of salts that minimise side effects

most of the time with most supplements you can easily compare value for money and just get the cheapest but with magnesium you sorta gotta get the good ones

apparently magnesium threonate is very good but we don’t have it here so don’t know so much about it

doctor's best brand magnesium uses magnesium glycinate lysinate chelate and i have found that it does not make me need to poop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.