Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Probably so they can have one team animating Campaign 1 and the other Campaign 2 and air them alternating years. Amazon animation seems to take a long time since they're probably unwilling to pay the overtime to get it out on a yearly basis.

Invincible is going to be over two years between seasons and S2 is only supposed to be three episodes long.
My guess is Campaign 2 was the only way they got CR to agree to the exclusivity.

Amazon has a producer with a rabid fanbase, demonstrated ability to raise money, a solid track record for adaptation, and 700ish hours of unadapted content. I'm guessing that a Mighty Nein kickstarter would outearn the Legends one, and that's not a comfortable spot for Amazon who'd like to continue to reap the integration benefits of prime video, prime, twitch, etc.

I'm really curious about the internal metrics on Legends that lead to this. I'm assuming discussions started well in advance of last week, but I'm wondering if the premiere's performance got them over the hump.

I also love that Lance Reddick apparently (per Sam on the watch party) was interested but wouldn't commit until he knew how the Conclave arc wrapped up and was immediately in when told.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

and the production values are so high it's downright offensive

elaborate?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

They got friends who work as amusement park engineers on ride immersion technology stuff to design their set for C3.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Wait, poo poo, hold up…does this mean we might get a Calamity animated movie/mini-series?!? Could there be animated Bolo?!?

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Potential animated Bolo (still voiced by Brennan Lee Mulligan) is absolutely the most important thing in this whole deal.

Jks of course, but I'm just as excited about the possibility of animated calamity as I am for animated M9, which is saying a lot, because I love the Mighty Nein.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I mean, if they open up those College Humor floodgates, I would lose my goddamned mind. Lou Wilson, Zac Oyama, Emily Axford. You know the Critical Role folks would take any excuse at all to get everyone involved.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://twitter.com/kavroo1/status/1532408805954306050
https://twitter.com/ForgingMeanings/status/1531633191957590016
https://twitter.com/OGaelfox/status/1530065553854849024

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Phylodox posted:

I mean, if they open up those College Humor floodgates, I would lose my goddamned mind. Lou Wilson, Zac Oyama, Emily Axford. You know the Critical Role folks would take any excuse at all to get everyone involved.

Erika Iishi has already had a major plot time in C3.

MuscaDomestica
Apr 27, 2017

Hope it is done by another studio… should have a different style then Campaign One. Less chance of burn out.

I heard that the person in Amazon who liked the show was his son who seems to be very geeky.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Paracaidas posted:

My guess is Campaign 2 was the only way they got CR to agree to the exclusivity.

Amazon has a producer with a rabid fanbase, demonstrated ability to raise money, a solid track record for adaptation, and 700ish hours of unadapted content. I'm guessing that a Mighty Nein kickstarter would outearn the Legends one, and that's not a comfortable spot for Amazon who'd like to continue to reap the integration benefits of prime video, prime, twitch, etc.

I'm really curious about the internal metrics on Legends that lead to this. I'm assuming discussions started well in advance of last week, but I'm wondering if the premiere's performance got them over the hump.

I also love that Lance Reddick apparently (per Sam on the watch party) was interested but wouldn't commit until he knew how the Conclave arc wrapped up and was immediately in when told.

There's an additional wrinkle here too.

Amazon has a deal with twitch; Prime subscribers get a free Twitch channel subscription. I'm sure both Prime and Twitch collect data on that, and I'm *certain* that a lot of people with Prime are using their one free subscription to watch Critical Role. Unlike other streaming services, Prime's goal isn't ratings, it's to encourage Prime subscription. Vox Machina / Critical Role probably has really strong metrics on that front, because they can see how many people watch VM then go cash in their free Twitch subscription.

(Campaign 3 spoilers)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWHYmDFR84I&t=10088s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWZMRdLGBu0&t=8070s

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 26, 2023

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Paracaidas posted:

What would Lance Reddick not commit to? I watched the watch party and didn't catch that.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

rocketrobot posted:

What would Lance Reddick not commit to? I watched the watch party and didn't catch that.

Playing Thordak. He got the S2 script, but since the Conclave arc is split between two seasons, the S2 script didn't include how Thordak's full story plays out. Reddick wanted to know what was going to happen with Thordak in the future and Sam told him, which got him to agree to the part.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
Episodes 4-6 are up now

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Phylodox posted:

Fantasy High adaption when?

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I was pretty confused about how Zahra summoned a copyright exempt Not a Beholder but I get it now. Z's got the pokeball necklace. She had it trapped in her amulet and couldn't re-trap it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

"This bag. You destroy?"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Exia posted:

Episodes 4-6 are up now

wait are they releasing in threes?

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Yes, they drop in 3s.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Okay there's some pretty big plot changes happening here from the stream.

Ripley teaming up with the dragons is a WILD plot twist. Her whole deal in the original stream is that she's a fantasy racist. She believes humans are superior to every other species, so what's she doing working with Umbrasyl unless she's just that pissed at Percy?

We also done split the team, which isn't bad. Means we get the Feywild and Westruun arcs simultaneously. The twins, Percy, and Keyleth are in the Feywild, which means we don't get the sequence with Grog shotputting a satyr across multiple rivers and I think that's a shame, but those ARE the four most important people to the Feywild plot. Meanwhile, Pike, Grog, and Scanlan are in Westruun, which means we won't get Vex using the Pokeball necklace to drop Grog on Kevdak's loving head from 30 feet up and that is also a shame, but those three are the most critical to the Westruun plot. So this can definitely work and it saves time. Guess we'll see if they pull it off.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Ohmygod baby Trinket
Eta: Pokeball!

Yesssss Kima and Allura
We can certainly try lmfao
Not my middle name god bless

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 27, 2023

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I hope as everyone gets their vestiges they become more and more like anime superheroes. Vax taking down the beholderthing was wild

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

CuwiKhons posted:

Ripley teaming up with the dragons is a WILD plot twist. Her whole deal in the original stream is that she's a fantasy racist. She believes humans are superior to every other species, so what's she doing working with Umbrasyl unless she's just that pissed at Percy?

Think like a human.

Get close, appear useful, become indispensable... then bomb the gently caress out of the scaly bastard when they're least expecting it. Honestly there is a plethora of ways she could be playing it and Ripley will work with anyone who will support her work and backstab as soon as it becomes convenient to do so.

Rougey fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jan 27, 2023

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Pussy Quipped posted:

I hope as everyone gets their vestiges they become more and more like anime superheroes. Vax taking down the beholderthing was wild
I have good news for you about the direction this series is heading

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
This set of episodes loving slapped and it's really showed off the growth of the CR crew when it comes to telling narrative stories. Pass through Fire in particular was fantastic.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I was not expecting Purvan as an Elden Ring duel boss but I dug it a lot

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
The not-a-beholder was super cool. The way its tentacles kept going off at extreme angles and its unblinking stare were A+

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Pattonesque posted:

The not-a-beholder was super cool. The way its tentacles kept going off at extreme angles and its unblinking stare were A+

I liked the weird noise it made as well

also Keyleth getting the "jet engine" sound with her big rear end fire blast

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Pussy Quipped posted:

Grog vs the black dragon was sick as hell too, absolutely what a high-level martial character in D&D should be able to do. gently caress this "reality for thee but not for me" trash coming from casters :colbert:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Aw, they got Sam's daughter to play Little Keyleth.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

Aw, they got Sam's daughter to play Little Keyleth.

And didn't kill her, for once

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

CuwiKhons posted:

I was pretty confused about how Zahra summoned a copyright exempt Not a Beholder

Wait, is that what that was? I thought it was some kind of hosed up Mercer'd up half-roper / half-medusa template

that 3E bleeding thru, apparently

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

AJA posted:

Wait, is that what that was? I thought it was some kind of hosed up Mercer'd up half-roper / half-medusa template

that 3E bleeding thru, apparently

Yeah in the original dungeon crawl, the main fight was against a Beholder and it was actually prior to them finding the armor. When the only thing they encountered last week was a bunch of off-brand Sahuagin, I assumed they'd just dropped the Beholder from the story because, well, copyright issues. Then that thing popped out of the necklace and I was like oh no, they just rearranged things and are giving Matt creative license to make whatever hosed up monsters he wants.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

But why did they kill Kam? :(

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

rocketrobot posted:

But why did they kill Kam? :(

"dramatic effect" and to make it personal for Scanlan maybe?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Do the dragons have an end goal with the treasure or is it the old “dragons greedy for greed’s sake”

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

CuwiKhons posted:

Yeah in the original dungeon crawl, the main fight was against a Beholder and it was actually prior to them finding the armor. When the only thing they encountered last week was a bunch of off-brand Sahuagin, I assumed they'd just dropped the Beholder from the story because, well, copyright issues. Then that thing popped out of the necklace and I was like oh no, they just rearranged things and are giving Matt creative license to make whatever hosed up monsters he wants.

I spent like fifteen minutes trying to figure out what the gently caress it was supposed to be and wondering if they'd included a False Hydra or something before I realized no, it's a Not-Copyright NotBeholder!

The one thing I'm not liking with the writing is how they keep doing "And then the whole group perished except one last remaining Dude! Who then did the One Thing that let everyone win! And after that everyone was fine" thing. It makes it less of a teamwork story, plus while it adds tension to each episode it reduces it overall because, oh, the last one left's gonna fix everything again

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jan 29, 2023

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

Do the dragons have an end goal with the treasure or is it the old “dragons greedy for greed’s sake”

Two of the dragons have an End Goal. The other two dragons are just being dragons and doing what dragons do. I will not tell you which ones are which or what said goals are.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I spent like fifteen minutes trying to figure out what the gently caress it was supposed to be and wondering if they'd included a False Hydra or something before I realized no, it's a Not-Copyright NotBeholder!

It kinda gave me Mara (SMT) vibes to a certain extent.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Alan Smithee posted:

D&D dragons compulsively hoard gold and treasure. Demanding regular tribute is how dragons interact with non-dragons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

CuwiKhons posted:

Okay there's some pretty big plot changes happening here from the stream.

We also done split the team, which isn't bad. Means we get the Feywild and Westruun arcs simultaneously. The twins, Percy, and Keyleth are in the Feywild, which means we don't get the sequence with Grog shotputting a satyr across multiple rivers and I think that's a shame, but those ARE the four most important people to the Feywild plot. Meanwhile, Pike, Grog, and Scanlan are in Westruun, which means we won't get Vex using the Pokeball necklace to drop Grog on Kevdak's loving head from 30 feet up and that is also a shame, but those three are the most critical to the Westruun plot. So this can definitely work and it saves time. Guess we'll see if they pull it off.

It seems like things are being split like was described in the second spoiler there, but while that's the most likely approach I'm not convinced that's how it'll go. I could see everyone being in the Fey realm but just being separated there for a bit before reuniting. You can absolutely adapt things to not have the whole group together for both bits, but there's a lot of people in the mix that do some pretty major things in both those scenarios, and beyond making things a bit extra tough for our heroes I'm not sure what's gained would make up for what's lost.

I'm expecting them to split the difference and have the fey realm's time shenanigans result in the fey trip taking a relatively long time for that group, but resulting in them not having actually been gone for that long when they shift back to the primary plane, thus allowing them to reunite before anything too major goes down for the main plane crew.

I'm sure I'll like whatever they came up with, but I'm not sure that it really saves that much time if they take the obvious route that seems set up at the end of episode 6. It'd definitely create some good opportunities to drill down on specific character relationships between two characters though.