Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
the om-d em-10 can do a 10 fps burst i think

e: maybe its something like 7.5 fps, i don't remember exactly. still not all that awful anyway

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
check out this clown

someone just sent these to me. you can tell that I am holding a camera

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

huh. you look kinda like obi-wan kenobi

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

the om-d em-10 can do a 10 fps burst i think

e: maybe its something like 7.5 fps, i don't remember exactly. still not all that awful anyway

i mean obviously that's more than enough for my inspo photos. especially when i have a sense of the timing of punches from boxing myself. but it's nice. also i would definitely want full frame.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

thanks, good to know that even the GX7 would be a big bump in sensor quality. i'll probably just keep searching for a good deal on a GX7 or newer. (I think I'm going to be taking my time now, I'm in no rush after getting a surprise bill from the auto mechanic this morning.)

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

That rules

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i like it op

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

thanks

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

polyester concept posted:

not usually a fan of staged/posed stuff except from a strictly utilitarian perspective (family portraits for example, which you can still have a lot of fun with if your family is patient)

I was thinking about this recently ..

this is an entire genre of photography, and I suppose it’s fine to decide you don’t like it, but it’s existence is completely legit

an example that is open to a lot of flexibility is band photos

another one is a friend asking for their photo taken

if you were a photographer with strong beliefs, perhaps you’d just turn down these jobs, say that they’re beneath you, and then just carry on with your life

but let’s imagine you say yes. you’ll have to get over the sense that they’ll be staged/posed..

so once you’ve come to some place where you’ve fought the internal beast, you can then start asking, given that we cant avoid it being posed/staged, where do we go from there ?

interesting thought?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Paid photography and photography as art aren't mutually exclusive, but it's what the photographer wants to pursue. Paid staged gigs for me don't have the appeal, it's just advertising. Advertising the band or the model or the product isn't interesting unless I'm invested in the subject itself, whereas the expression of will and desire of a photographer showing their vision of the world and communicating a built message is far more engaging to me.

I'm not here to look at a photo and go "That's pretty" or "that's well executed". I want to be challenged and explore through someone else's eyes

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Instagram and social media in general rewards that style, it's easy to engage with aesthetic. When you're in a space where discussion and consideration is more highly valued is it any suprise that it isn't as well received? It seems like your goals are all surface level. "I edit like this because people have said they like photos that look like this" is a fine tactic to increase broad engagement but it ends up making a body of work that looks like you're trying to sell Lightroom presets.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my point was more, given that you or someone feels that way about photography, if you were handed this “job”, how would you go about executing it anyway.

as you say they’re not mutually exclusive

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

only underexposed photos of moody forests taken by people with depression are art. sorry, those are the rules

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

echinopsis posted:

and I really like the hair in that photo, it's desirably curly, and also in a state that isn't tidy and put up, but kind of messy, and it's a dimly lit bedroom, and messy hair in a dimly lit bedroom? what does that imply

to me, it captures a feeling quite well. I was there, so I know what the feeling was, so I am not sure if it's translates through to others when they see it, but I hope it does. (and that might rely on a persons life experience etc)

this is what he's after. echi's gonna maximize for pretty girls making him horny on photo shoots and maybe kissing him. i dont really think youre gonna change his mind artistically; what he's doing seems to effectively get models to messge him for horny photoshoots and so everything is working as intended and unlikely to change

you've heard of greedy algorithms? this is a horny algorithm

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Achmed Jones posted:

this is what he's after. echi's gonna maximize for pretty girls making him horny on photo shoots and maybe kissing him. i dont really think youre gonna change his mind artistically; what he's doing seems to effectively get models to messge him for horny photoshoots and so everything is working as intended and unlikely to change

you've heard of greedy algorithms? this is a horny algorithm

dude that was my partner

can you gently caress off with the assumptions about my intentions with other people? have you seen the shoots I’ve done with people? they’re not horny at all. the work I’ve done with other people is totally professional, there’s never a sense of it being anything other than a photoshoot, I treat the models with total respect because a) I don’t have other intentions and never mind b) that I have a reputation to grow and uphold

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
when I first started shooting other people about a year ago, I was just so excited to shoot others but once the initial excitement wore off I realised how ordinary and cliche some of the first stuff I first shot was even tho I had liked it when I shot it

and it’s continued to evolve alongside the stuff I like. I generally find most staged stuff cliche and uninteresting, simply taking a photo of someone with decent gear isn’t enough.

I suspect what I am aiming for is still not up to the standards of the photosmiths around these parts, but I am happy with my evolution, and continued raising of my standards.

very recently I’ve had more interest than ever, which gives me more opportunity to choose and be fussy about who I work with and what we do. and believe it or not I do take onboard all the things I read on here. don’t always know what to do with it but knowing there’s more to be striven for gives me a vague notion that one day I might gain the approval of people on the internet

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

it's fine to like cliches. that's why they're cliches! people like them

just don't fall into the trap of shooting the same thing in the same way, every time. it smothers creativity imo and makes you doubt your capabilities. it's the same thing with equipment i think, like, "oh, this body isn't capable of that" — no. perhaps in some scenarios that is objectively true but i promise you you can get something usable out of pretty much anything if you put the effort in, but admittedly that is not as easy

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I think it was someone on youtube who said “someone has successfully taken the picture you want using vastly inferior gear” and that’s stuck with me. that said I think this is the year of the ilc for me. love my x100 but want some reach

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

this is a good easy read if you want to think about why you take photographs and maybe perspective on why others do

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
can we pause the slapfight about taste and post more photos please?

i havent done any serious photography lately unfortunately but i did take a picture of this duck butt though

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

mods are asleep post birds

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Birds birds birds

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i've got some birds for you

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

drat that's a nice toucan

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

mods are asleep post birds

Megabound posted:

Birds birds birds

i approve of all this

as for the others... see me after posting class

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
birds?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

incredible

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
BIRDS

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

lol

birds rule

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
lol, lmao

echinopsis posted:

incredible
ty echi. it's a red kite

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oldpics and the bird in the last one is weird lookin (rip poodle jones the first)

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

big scary monsters posted:

ty echi. it's a red kite

no, it's a bird

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

big scary monsters posted:

ty echi. it's a red kite

yeah it’s one thing to get a nice stationary bird pic but in flight like that? you’re the jesus of bird pictures

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

i think I shared that recently. drat imagine if the background was something other than green. good pose tho

this made me think of one of those plates you might see on someone’s wall

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
when you take photo of bird and get a chance to look at it’s head up close it kinda fucks you up with how profound the lizard relationship is

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

lol bird heads are very weird

nyaah get outta here you drat humans

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

lol thats not the best pic obviously but the next one looks majestic in comparison

birds are great subjects

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

echinopsis posted:

i think I shared that recently. drat imagine if the background was something other than green. good pose tho

this made me think of one of those plates you might see on someone’s wall

is that vignetting post-processing or is that a natural part of the photo? also is it still called vignetting when it's light instead of dark?