Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

is that vignetting post-processing or is that a natural part of the photo? also is it still called vignetting when it's light instead of dark?

yeah it's still a vignette if it's white. the term comes from old printing and illustration terminology where you would surround an image with a decorative border, frequently curlicues evoking plants (the word is cognate with "vine")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it’s defo done in lightroom, idk if there is a way to do it without post process but would like to know

I once saw a bird pic posted with a full white vig’ and it looked cool and so I did that almost as a joke

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
"normal" vignetting is done by the lens or a lens attachment, it's sometimes kinda unavoidable

white vignettes like that are probably pretty hard to pull off in camera, i haven't tried and don't know how off the top of my head anyway. i imagine the easiest way to achieve the effect would be to underexpose part of the negative

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Or just shoot though a hole in a piece of paper

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
that can work too if the light is right

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

yeah it's still a vignette if it's white. the term comes from old printing and illustration terminology where you would surround an image with a decorative border, frequently curlicues evoking plants (the word is cognate with "vine")

cognate huh? never heard that word but it owns

one of the younger people at work is a real wordsmith and I went and asked her if she knew that word and she didn’t and she loves etymology so being able to give her that word was satisfying

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah i've (accidentally) done normal vignetting when i set the aperture too narrow or when i'm trying to shoot through my telescope. was trying to figure out how you'd pull it off a white vignette

thanks y'all!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

yeah i've (accidentally) done normal vignetting when i set the aperture too narrow or when i'm trying to shoot through my telescope. was trying to figure out how you'd pull it off a white vignette

thanks y'all!

You could get a white vignette in printing. It's from light falloff by having an image circle not fully cover your sensor/film. You can have the same in a darkroom but in that process a lack of light would lead to a lighter image instead of a darker one, as you print from negative.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Speaking of printing I'm down in my big dumb reverse camera room today teaching someone how to wet print

My Stuff:

Their Stuff

This is their first time wet printing but they've got such a crystal clear vision for their photos they're nailing the execution

Megabound fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 28, 2023

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

wet printing is so fuckin cool, i still have an enlarger in my spare room and it’s an ever present reminder of the curse of procrastination

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

nice contrast on both shots

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

bird pics are cool but also rough I have thousands of raws to sort and cull and process and then cull again and ugh it’s just exhausting. lot of work for 3 okay pictures to post on cohost

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

take fewer pictures

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

take fewer pictures

lol

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

no

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Moving onto some big prints, 12x16 and a cool tool I use for bigger stuff

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

oh poo poo that is pretty cool. i've never used one of those before but it looks really useful, i used to spend ungodly amounts of time trying out exposures

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
here is three photo

real life :rodtronics:

whatever the heck this is

and this

RIP

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

first one is interesting and that last one is real good 👍

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
yeah the vibes on that last one are amazing! feels like a perfect half-and-half of calm on the top and high energy on the bottom, and it feels like a satisfying juxtaposition and not dissonant at all

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah I bought a projector and you can do some cool things with it I suppose

I suppose I can accept that I have done something interesting and take a photo of it rather than it’s good photo coz it’s not. it’s cool tho

Corla Plankun posted:

yeah the vibes on that last one are amazing! feels like a perfect half-and-half of calm on the top and high energy on the bottom, and it feels like a satisfying juxtaposition and not dissonant at all

extremely thankyou, appreciate it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

lol oh come on that one is begging for better contrast

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol I spent a long time getting that just how I like it

when using blender, at the end there is this filmic colour transform that basically converts it from the raw render into something that can be displayed on the screen, rather than clipping high values it introduces film like roll off etc

anyway there are a handful of presets from low contrast to high contrast, and when I first started using it, I was always using high or even very high contrast. low contrast always looked washed out

anyway, over time, I grew and matured and began to view too high contrast as too gauche

anyway moral of the story is that it’s all subjective

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

also

is this a good photo? probably not. BUT there are some good colours.

it’s a photo of a good thing rather than a good photo

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

echinopsis posted:

is this a good photo? probably not. BUT there are some good colours.

it’s a photo of a good thing rather than a good photo

my grandmother always would talk about these amazing sunset photos my grandfather took during his time in Korea. I found and scanned them for her. they were Kodachrome slides. really all they were ended up being a color gradient with a black tree line, but she really enjoyed them

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I appreciate the amazing colour gradients you get generate in your brain by looking at the sky

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Printed more today:

This is a 1 minute exposure taken with a medium format field camera (one of those old timey guys you need a blanket over your head for).

I walked past the scene on my way home, about 5 minutes out, and didn't have a camera with me. So when I got back I picked up my field camera bag and tripod, set up for 5 minutes in this driveway and took 2 exposures. They were a very cooperative model.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

echinopsis posted:

lol I spent a long time getting that just how I like it

when using blender, at the end there is this filmic colour transform that basically converts it from the raw render into something that can be displayed on the screen, rather than clipping high values it introduces film like roll off etc

anyway there are a handful of presets from low contrast to high contrast, and when I first started using it, I was always using high or even very high contrast. low contrast always looked washed out

anyway, over time, I grew and matured and began to view too high contrast as too gauche

anyway moral of the story is that it’s all subjective

i like the concept, the execution is a bit... meh i guess, i know that's not a good description but lol shut it

i played around with it for a few minutes to see what i might do and it actually looks pretty neat with a yellow-green grayscale LUT

ymmv etc

Megabound posted:

Printed more today:

This is a 1 minute exposure taken with a medium format field camera (one of those old timey guys you need a blanket over your head for).

I walked past the scene on my way home, about 5 minutes out, and didn't have a camera with me. So when I got back I picked up my field camera bag and tripod, set up for 5 minutes in this driveway and took 2 exposures. They were a very cooperative model.

that is very clear for minute+ multiple exposures with a live subject lol :eyepop:

nice job all around

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

eugh. no matter what the compression makes that look like garbage in some areas, i tried to fix it but i think it's your fault echi initially lol

oh well. you get the idea at least

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
mate

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
like what the gently caress are you on about?

imo it's a bit of a dick move to immediately edit my photo to suit your tastes, then try to edit it again to remove the thing the photo was about, fail doing so, and then blame me for for your failure

in general, imo, editing someone's photo without their permission is a dick move

like it's one thing to offer constructive criticism, to offer another viewpoint, help the photographer see something they otherwise wouldn't have seen

you talk to me like you're so much better than me at photography, like everything I do you could have done better.

like, even if that's true, there are better ways to communicate your thoughts

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Your photography is not sacrosanct and someone editing your photo means they see something in it that appeals to them. Take it as an viewpoint instead of getting het up, someone cared about your photography enough to spend time with it.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
remember how y'all were complaining that the dork room was a toxic environment a few days ago before y'all started doing dogpiles every day instead of posting cool photos? i remember

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

echinopsis posted:

like what the gently caress are you on about?

imo it's a bit of a dick move to immediately edit my photo to suit your tastes, then try to edit it again to remove the thing the photo was about, fail doing so, and then blame me for for your failure

in general, imo, editing someone's photo without their permission is a dick move

like it's one thing to offer constructive criticism, to offer another viewpoint, help the photographer see something they otherwise wouldn't have seen

you talk to me like you're so much better than me at photography, like everything I do you could have done better.

like, even if that's true, there are better ways to communicate your thoughts

lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

hmm like okay that is fair but man that's pretty funny lol

like i said i think its a neat concept but i generally like seeing other people's edits of my stuff, usually they come up with stuff i didn't consider myself

:shrug:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

also to be clear the compression is definitely at fault there. like i said i like the photo!!! lol

i don't think it's yours per se but the way jpeg works hosed the grayscale conversion. it happens

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ngl i think y'all are being too hard on echi. i'll drag him from here to next sunday for the horny stuff but this ain't that. he's asked you to stop. please stop, even if you think he's being overly sensitive or whatever. i think he's being pretty reasonable

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

ngl i think y'all are being too hard on echi. i'll drag him from here to next sunday for the horny stuff but this ain't that. he's asked you to stop. please stop, even if you think he's being overly sensitive or whatever. i think he's being pretty reasonable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Corla Plankun posted:

remember how y'all were complaining that the dork room was a toxic environment a few days ago before y'all started doing dogpiles every day instead of posting cool photos? i remember

the "dorkroom regular" was inside of your heads all along