Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I've got a lot of sympathy for people experiencing Frenchness tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

mods name change to "Undiagnosed Frenchman" please

e: wait is this what "Paris Syndrome" actually is?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
😗👌

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

e: wait is this what "Paris Syndrome" actually is?
if it's the thing that mostly japanese people experience, then sort of yeah lol

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

japanese people have the concept of paris gassed up so much within their culture that when they finally go there and smell and hear it, their brains break lol

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

kind of how yosposters feel about old country buffet

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Kenny Logins posted:

japanese people have the concept of paris gassed up so much within their culture that when they finally go there and smell and hear it, their brains break lol

yeah it's insane lol

I guess maybe there's an equivalent for weeaboos going to Japan?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
ouiaboos

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
oui-aboos

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
drat it too late

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

drat it too late

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

lol

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lol

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

lol @ new thread title

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

lmao we did it, get it in the vernacular

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

https://twitter.com/rezahakbari/status/1617121205231788032

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Not without my turtle

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

a strong argument for legalising booze if ever there was one

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

ugh, five parties a week?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

https://twitter.com/jearle/status/1619378475693137932?s=20&t=AHg84Fhdq0FDlq0xQ6ei2g

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

its true

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

lol

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

idgi (or I don’t know what a Parisian accent is)

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

haveblue posted:

idgi (or I don’t know what a Parisian accent is)

I've been trying to figure it out and I've got nothing. maybe it's a French word but I can't make emmarghdu sound like anything

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It must sound something like "merde" but I don't see exactly how that would work.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

M R 2

em er deux

merde

i have no idea about individual french accents but for "generic french" it works

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

M R 2

em er deux

merde

i have no idea about individual french accents but for "generic french" it works
yeah it sounds like "eh merde"

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
is this a new version of that old thing I always heard about how they had to rename the Chevy Nova for Mexico because it would be interpreted as "no go"? I can only imagine this concept is flawed and or racist but boy I heard that story a lot as a kid.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

lol

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

they also had to rename the sequel to jaws because they named the original "les dents de la mer"

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

there's nothing racist about "no va" meaning "[it] doesn't go". i've no idea if the story about it selling poorly because the execs were too stupid to talk to someone who spoke spanish is true. it sounds too dumb to be true (it's all extremely basic spanish), but the world often is dumber than i give it credit for so :shrug:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

they also had to rename the sequel to jaws because they named the original "les dents de la mer"

lol. Should have kept the title and remade the film to fit it

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

there's nothing racist about "no va" meaning "[it] doesn't go".
here's a ftfy that explains it:

quote:

i've no idea if the story about it selling poorly because the execs were too racist to talk to someone who spoke spanish (as a native/first language) is true. it sounds too dumb to be true (it's all extremely basic spanish)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i mean ok but there's a pretty material difference between "a racist story" and "a story where you laugh at people being dumb racists;" what i was responding to certainly seemed like it was being characterized as the former