Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
say what you will about rick and morty, but the taxi theme song really does slap

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lmao

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Lol

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Cat Face Joe posted:

coworker's mother in law came to visit and was clearly sick when she arrived. she swore up and down it was just the flu (we don't want that either!) and they finally get a swab up her nose and of course it comes back positive. she starts yelling about how she couldn't possibly have caught it since her roommate has been in the hospital (what for? dying of covid). the finally force her out but him, his wife, and their three kids all got it

lol. “oh, don’t worry. this isn’t a mortar i’m shooting at you. it’s a howitzer.”

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
whoops, turns out that the colleague who we all thought was very covid conscious since she's wearing a mask in the office was actually wearing a mask because she's sick and still wanted to come to the office to get that cool in person presence bonus my boss set up.

i don't think anyone is ready to revisit the argument i had with them about the definition of perverse incentives, though

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

My wife set up a big partner teleconference on Wednesday and the first fifteen minutes were talking about all the people who died since the last one

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

rip to those who died for the cause (making money for their jobs)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
everyone at work who has had covid recently comes back to work and discusses how it wasn’t that bad and maybe even glad to have lost their covirdginities

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
thats the same narrative 19 year old girls in alabama are pushed into reciting when they get knocked up

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
still haven't gotten covid, knock on wood

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I finally caught it in December. hosed up my holiday plans good. Symptoms weren't that bad honestly, no coughing or shortness of breath or lung issues or anything, but had a pretty decent fever for a couple of days, 39,5 celsius at the highest. couple days after the fever died down I lost my sense of smell, which lasted for a week or two. That was the scariest part for me tbh. I would get very depressed if I lost my sense of smell. Thankfully it came back fully.

I don't feel like this is some moral failure or anything but I also could have done without. I'm not at all happy to have "gotten it over with" or whatever trite bullshit people say to make themselves feel better.

Apr 7, 2003

There are people out there on their third or fourth bout, "getting it over with" was always gonna be bullshit.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
fortunately modern society has developed something called a "vaccine", that gives you all the immunity benefits of having caught and recovered from an illness without having to suffer through it or experience any of the long-term side effects

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
hmmm. sounds like witchcraft to me.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jabor posted:

fortunately modern society has developed something called a "vaccine", that gives you all the immunity benefits of having caught and recovered from an illness without having to suffer through it or experience any of the long-term side effects

I hear the vaccines are so good they actually give superior protection than getting sick a bunch of times! but I also hear they give you early onset parkinsons but only when a cell camera is pointed at you. not sure who to believe because both sides are dumb

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I was vaxxed and boosted and still got covid! Tony Fauci and Bill Gates lied to me!!!!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah tbf all the people at work who are saying covid wasn’t that bad have all been triple chipped

does anyone know if the protection granted by covid 5g chipsets lasts long or short

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

echinopsis posted:

yeah tbf all the people at work who are saying covid wasn’t that bad have all been triple chipped

does anyone know if the protection granted by covid 5g chipsets lasts long or short

depends if you're talking about protection against infection or protection against (severe) disease. against infection the protection diminishes after a couple months but against disease we don't know the limit yet. years.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jabor posted:

first im hearing about this

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
still haven’t got covid and I’m vaxxmaxxed

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

kitten emergency posted:

same. i have to go to work every day but live by myself and mask everywhere that isn't my home or my office at work.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I've gotten it once but I'm also getting on a plane for work in a couple of weeks so maybe I'll have it a second time.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

spankmeister posted:

depends if you're talking about protection against infection or protection against (severe) disease. against infection the protection diminishes after a couple months but against disease we don't know the limit yet. years.

was hoping you’d chime in. thanks

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
seems like nz is taking the paxlovid route so perhaps the nation having been vaccinated won’t mean much in a while, because we’re not doing extra boosters

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

MononcQc posted:

I've gotten it once but I'm also getting on a plane for work in a couple of weeks so maybe I'll have it a second time.

wear an aura or something op

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I’m gonna have a bag of n95s and work will provide tests + carbon testers and poo poo so the airplane is the big deal.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

kitten emergency posted:

:yossame:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i had it once. praise bill gates though because it was relatively mild.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

cjs: boss is advocating to make my position fully remote again, aside from having to come in for meetings here and there (still dumb). I’m only there partially on Wednesdays and even then maybe two or three out of the month. officially on she and i share the lovely little annex that’s in an entirely different building than the main department so we’re both wtf-int at the whole situation.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

she likes to maintain more of a physical presence because she’s at departmental leadership level but she also fully understands that i can do my jorb just fine remote. so dumb.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
My elderly, high-risk parents caught it and were okay, and I was exposed to it visiting them before they bothered to self-test and I didn't catch it. However, one of my relatives that was visiting with me DID catch it.

As far as basically everyone I know in real life, anyone who caught it after vaccination mostly had symptoms ranging from a cold to a pretty regular flu (fever, muscle aches especially lately, cough) and were fine afterward.

Both people I knew who were unvaccinated before they caught it got way, way hosed up. One is probably going to have to get a lung transplant.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

yeah, mine was somewhere between cold and flu for like a day. the rest of the time it was pretty much like a cold. i have no doubt it would’ve hosed me up royal if I hadn’t been up on my jabs.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i was vaxed but i had a 103 fever for like 4 days and things like sitting up for 30 minutes straight were exhausting. i guess i got omicron before the omicron boosters were out or something, im not really sure. i just know it tucked me up real good. no lingering effects as far as i know though

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
i had it very early on before vaxes were available and it was pretty awful

certainly the most sick i've ever felt in my life. lungs still hurt every now and then and i'll probably need emergency albuterol for the rest of my life :cool:

Apr 7, 2003

Blinkz0rz posted:

i had it very early on before vaxes were available and it was pretty awful

certainly the most sick i've ever felt in my life. lungs still hurt every now and then and i'll probably need emergency albuterol for the rest of my life :cool:

Cycling is one of the few healthy things in life that gives me pleasure and if I got hosed up and couldn't cycle anymore it would really mess with my quality of life.

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Cycling is one of the few healthy things in life that gives me pleasure and if I got hosed up and couldn't cycle anymore it would really mess with my quality of life.

i really liked biking but i'm still so wary of biking alone ever since i broke a vertebrae from a car hitting me

it really sucks but i just do not trust being on the road with cars anymore. The only cardio exercise i actually enjoyed doing, too

Apr 7, 2003

we've got a good rails to trails network here, we won't ride on the road either. People are murderous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

the extensive biking infrastructure was one of the (many) things i loved about Copenhagen but our dumb car culture will never allow something like that to happen and it frustrates me when i think about it