Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
from the peeps behind go and carbon: You Would Think We Would Be Not Atrocious At SEO Given We Make The Only Significant Search Engine, volume 6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
seo is a vital topic for google engineers to understand, but a lot of googlers lack the experience to make the most of it. the good news is, this is easily fixed! read on to find out how.

1. what is seo?

seo is a hugely important technique for maximising the potential of your searches. it stands for

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

mystes posted:

I thought they had renamed Angular (v1) to "AngularJS" but based on googling it seems like maybe it was always "AngularJS" and people just called it Angular for short

yeah it’s the latter. which makes the official rename to angular even worse, since it was already fairly common for v1

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
angularjs was from the time period where every js thing had to be either FooJS or foo.js

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

e2: wait angular is supported and is distinct from angularjs? Who the gently caress decided on that naming conventions

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Plorkyeran posted:

angularjs was from the time period where every js thing had to be either FooJS or foo.js

that was useful bc it meant you didn’t have to look up what the thing was to know it was bad

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

we use angular at work and i hate it so much. we're also like 6 major releases out of date which we'll be tackling in the coming months

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

susan b buffering posted:

we use angular at work and i hate it so much. we're also like 6 major releases out of date which we'll be tackling in the coming months

:same: except tackling it

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Carthag Tuek posted:

lol is that as much of a nightmare of deprecated/renamed features and functions as I imagine it to be?

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
jfc i've had it with junior devs. if they ran their lives like they code they all would have died from cascading multiple house fires after running into the burning house for saftey and trying to hide in the basement they filled with exposed live electrical wires, water, and hungry sharks

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
boss I broke all this code doing a refactor WHO SHOULD FIX IT

THAT'S A REAL BRAIN BUSTER :thunk:

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

DrPossum posted:

boss I broke all this code doing a refactor WHO SHOULD FIX IT

THAT'S A REAL BRAIN BUSTER :thunk:

lmaooo

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
at this point in my life i like working with junior devs/devs learning a new language because it makes me feel like a brain genious 40 hours a week, but I could see it becoming tiresome if i was busier or doing less meaningful work

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i am only 11 months into my current job and in that time i've only had jr devs to work with and let me tell you, tiresome doesn't begin to describe it.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

idk there's some joy in teaching people to not trust any computers

i think "lack of sympathy towards people who're learning" is a big rough point in all forms of computer touching

yeah i get it when people ask the same question for months on end, but the first couple of times? relax

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

lol is that as much of a nightmare of deprecated/renamed features and functions as I imagine it to be?

from what i've seen it doesn't look it'll be too bad in that regard. i'm sure there will be some headaches but the apis appear to be pretty stable.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

it would be cool if they asked things more often lol

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

polyester concept posted:

it would be cool if they asked things more often lol

:hmmyes: and especially just treat me as a human search engine. There's no reason to google, come to me with every question and I'll just recite the documentation on command.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Finster Dexter posted:

:hmmyes: and especially just treat me as a human search engine. There's no reason to google, come to me with every question and I'll just recite the documentation on command.

knowing what to search for is important too

they’re junior because they’re supposed to be learning. people become senior at something and assume that people gotta go through the same struggles to get there, rather than maybe attempting to make it easier to climb that ladder

and again there are some things where experience is the best teacher but one can be nice about it

we are all laborers and there should be some even tiny respect for that

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
universities don't teach people how to fuckin learn is the problem, that's supposed to be the entire point of a university education

it's a computer, not a box of vengeful machine ghosts, it does things for a reason

anyway fortunately i don't really deal with that problem much in my current job

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
"learn how to learn" is mostly finished by 15, just like moral education. dont blame the unis

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

"learn how to learn" is mostly finished by 15, just like moral education

no, would you believe some people never learn "how to learn" and instead go through things by rote, and then choose to not do pursue if they experience failure for any number of reasons? even if they are mentally capable of learning said thing?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Share Bear posted:

no, would you believe some people never learn "how to learn" and instead go through things by rote, and then choose to not do pursue if they experience failure for any number of reasons? even if they are mentally capable of learning said thing?

in the same way that some peeps are not taught morals by 15 and uni isnt gonna teach it to them yes, or if you dont have an accent down by 10 you aint gonna learn it to a native level, even if you can learn foreign languages whenever

always teachable, but with a critical period

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 30, 2023

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

e: nevermind

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Sapozhnik posted:

it's a computer, not a box of vengeful machine ghosts, it does things for a reason

My favorite illustration of this is still a graphics class I took in university where we were supposed to be animating a 3D cylinder with a hole cut out of it, like a washer. I looked around the lab and everybody's cylinders were jagged pieces of poo poo. One guy said he drew a circle on graph paper and squinted at it to try to guess the coordinates of his vertices. Somebody looked at mine and went, "Whoa how'd you get it to look so nice??"

I used the magic of x = cos θ and y = sin θ. To this day, I think about how a room full of programmers didn't use programming to solve the problem presented by their programming assignment.

(and then everybody stood up and clapped)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Share Bear posted:

idk there's some joy in teaching people to not trust any computers

i'd be happy if i could somehow get the senior (or :airquote:senior:airquote:) developers on my team to have this healthy lack of trust

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

to be clear i am not ragging on jr devs as people. those i work with are generally good people, easy to get along with, eager to learn, fun to hang with after work and go for drinks. doesn't mean that working with them can't be tiring. the kind of stuff i am talking about is cargo culting poo poo from stack overflow, submitting a PR to fix a bug that carelessly introduces 2 more, or a general lack of debugging skills in general, straight up ignoring details in the task description. granted some of those are things that do come with experience and are harder to teach, but a lot of what i deal with could be avoided by simply asking more questions beforehand. one thing i see a lot is that in order to fix a bug, they will apply a band aid solution to the symptom instead of trying to discover the actual source of the issue. it is tiring

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i think if someone doesn’t read error messages it’s a good sign you should just give up on them ever being useful

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the good devs to have are junors looking to learn and seniors who know what to do

the worst devs to have are juniors who arent looking to learn and seniors who dont know what to do.

the later are the worst cause they suck up a ton of cap space

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

jesus WEP posted:

i think if someone doesn’t read error messages it’s a good sign you should just give up on them ever being useful

that would be a good interview test. Give them a solution with a project that throws an explicit error message on launch and see if they can read it

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Shaggar posted:

that would be a good interview test. Give them a solution with a project that throws an explicit error message on launch and see if they can read it

part of our SRE interview involves being handed a terraform that has one minor issue that is really simple to fix if you just read the error message.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i am so tired of having to explain basic poo poo like "how to set environment variables" to people

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
can universities or code boot camps or whoever the gently caress is training the people I'm getting please start showing people how to use a fuckin shell

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
school is pretty much worthless for computer programming and you have to teach them how to do stuff on the job

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

rotor posted:

i am so tired of having to explain basic poo poo like "how to set environment variables" to people

or how to follow the most basic stack trace to figure out why something isn't working

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

fixing this dB deployment has been like playing whack a mole because someone decided "oh we don't need a bit and a date column, we can just the date is null/not null to decide if the thing is set or not and remove the bit column" *except didn't check for dependencies in any of the existing scripts*

because they then just ran against a dB they'd already added the column to though it all worked, but as soon as it was deployed to a new db the whole thing immediately imploded and broke the deployment

e: also figure out your goddamn run order people, gently caress! If a depends on b depends on c, run order should not be c,b,a!

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

e: also figure out your goddamn run order people, gently caress! If a depends on b depends on c, run order should not be c,b,a!

isn't that exactly what the run order should be or am I the junior engineer?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Asleep Style posted:

isn't that exactly what the run order should be or am I the junior engineer?

yes

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Carthag Tuek posted:

same same except react or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Sapozhnik posted:

yeah, but figuring out the reason can be somewhere between "trivial", "tough", and "impossible unless you're one of the top 0.5% of kernel devs"

there's also time and motivation components too - i'm not gonna spend 3 days tracking down something when i can just chuck in a workaround and dump a whingy comment about why thing x that should have worked didn't

coincidentally, most of that happens in frontend