Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Macro is fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
hello i heard this was the cool place to post photographs

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Beeftweeter posted:

tried stacking some pentax q raws, and, well, lol:

i don't hate it but man thats kinda weird

my brain REALLY wants to interpret that city as being closer than that pier for some reason, brains are weird af

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i took this with an iphone 4(?! lol)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Corla Plankun posted:

my brain REALLY wants to interpret that city as being closer than that pier for some reason, brains are weird af

yeah i get what you mean. i think i stacked some that varied in aperture actually, you can kinda see it on the right edge of the skyline

still not bad for a camera system thats smaller than the first canon digital elph i think lol. god i wish i could find some macro tubes for it, it'd be perfect

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

meh

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I took thes photo with the canon 100mm f/2.8 IS USM macro lens

fuckin great lens, almost got it instead of the 135mm currently use, but felt the 135 was longer

this is shot with macro lens but is not very macro. but does show off that the lens is a decent port lens
:nws:
https://i.imgur.com/4WS435I.jpg

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 30, 2023

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

lmao

also lmao: i saw some birds today but apparently my lens was the dirtiest it has ever been and i didn't notice :negative:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

so they're

dirty birds

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

lol i've done that more times than i can count

pretty easy fix with an apple pencil :)

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Corla Plankun posted:

lmao

also lmao: i saw some birds today but apparently my lens was the dirtiest it has ever been and i didn't notice :negative:

That's not dirt on your lens, that's dirt on your sensor

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the dirt is in your mind

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

No, it's clearly on his sensor.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's fine just don't stop down as much

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

that actually does look like its on the sensor. lens cant help there

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Megabound posted:

the dirt is definitely in your mind

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Megabound posted:

rocket blower time

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
actually the dirt was on my phone screen but I cleaned it off and the pic looks alright. unfortunately now I can also see your posts

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
turn on your phone display

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

got my 50mm this morning, it delivered at like 6:45 am(!). it's pretty cool. it has an STM autofocus, which is really fast and quiet. it's pretty cool. i only took dogpics with it, but ill post one in a sec

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is it the 50mm f/1.8 STM ?

I have that lens. the successor to the original nifty fifty

on a crop sensor which you probably have it’s equivalent to 85mm which some people consider the ideal portrait length

its amazing lens for the money. it fools you into thinking perhaps lenses don’t have to be expensive, but that lens is a true anomaly, there’s nothing else similarly as good for the money at all

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 30, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

boop :3:

echinopsis posted:

is it the 50mm f/1.8 STM ?

I have that lens. the successor to the original nifty fifty

on a crop sensor which you probably have it’s equivalent to 85mm which some people consider the ideal portrait length

its amazing lens for the money. it fools you into thinking perhaps lenses don’t have to be expensive, but that lens is a true anomaly, there’s nothing else similarly as good for the money at all

good lenses aren't necessarily expensive. the panasonic i recommended to kiddynamite a few weeks ago is a pretty good example, imo the performance is a bit better than the canon even

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lol the 50mm is now on sale for $100. i'm returning it to amazon, and have a new one on the way from BH Photo Video. I could've got it from Amazon, but the one I got looked to be opened and it rubbed me the wrong way. Plus, you know, if they wanted me to keep shopping there they could've refunded me the $25 instead of making me do the return thing. I guess now the funbux will go to something else though =/

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

ahh noo you can get a price adjustment! lol

amazon doesn't even make it difficult

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

too late now, i already ordered it from BH :shrug:

it'll be here wednesday

but now i know for next time lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

haha well B&H is pretty good too. i like actually going to the store but i realize thats not a realistic option for you lol

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah, google has an employee discount with them so i tend to order from them pretty often. no additional discount on this one, though. in general their camera discounts are non-existent, but i seem to remember getting a good deal on my rode mic a couple years ago. i wish i had done the price adjustment now to save ms jones the trip to the ups store but :shrug:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

yeah they're usually around the same price with amazon (and amazon will price match), but really the best deals are on bundles. if you're buying a body they will often throw in like two lenses, a bag, some accessories, etc. and sometimes the value is just unbeatable. same with adorama really but they don't close for shabbat lol

i do like being able to order pretty much anything for pickup though, adorama and b&h are not too far away from each other and both are like a 25 minute subway ride. its good imo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I snagged this photo with that lens. I am very happy with it

first game of tackle rugby and it was muddy. this is a photo for the family photo album for sure

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

good contrast balance on that one echi 👍

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

echinopsis posted:

first game of tackle rugby and it was muddy. this is a photo for the family photo album for sure

this owns. this is the best pic of yours that ive seen (not that my judgment here means much or anything at all)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

good contrast balance on that one echi 👍

hmm idk. that was from 2018, back before I’d discovered the raising blacks technique, which allows for superior aesthetics

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Achmed Jones posted:

this owns. this is the best pic of yours that ive seen

thankyou, I’m glad you like it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
as cliche as possible but still : I hope you enjoy the lighting

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

echinopsis posted:

hmm idk. that was from 2018, back before I’d discovered the raising blacks technique, which allows for superior aesthetics

it's quite good. i like the crop even, the highlights are well balanced and the depth of field lends a sense of importance to the tackle grime (just guessing there lol)

echinopsis posted:

as cliche as possible but still : I hope you enjoy the lighting

the lighting is really good!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I won’t lie, the sun pulled the hard yards, I just had to get up early

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

natural light is great if you can use it

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

echinopsis posted:

i wish i could get pictures like this of my fam! but when i point a camera at a human my brain shifts into this like fight or flight mode where i just want to be done taking the picture asap and cant bear to direct the staging or anything

this scene is interesting to me and i'm trying to intentionally make a photo with cool vibes but outside of "fix the colors so this bird looks like its supposd to and the background isn't too distracting" i feel like im not very good at photo post processing (also idk what the gently caress is going on with the water, it didn't look weirdly two-toned like that irl but i dont think i did anything to the color projection to make it like that either)

if anyone is interested you can mess with the raw but the raw preview looks pretty poo poo and im feelin real self conscious about it
https://mega.nz/file/m6pTEKJI#7o2ofJFzQPYBo2z7Vr3GjGMGYOIYl-s6QxoCky7fNsM

also after looking at the preview its obvious that the water goes from blue to neutral in the original and looks two-toned because of my ~~~stylistic warmth adding~~~ took it so far away from grey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i've seriously considered putting a colorblind filter on the photos i take. i use photoshop elements, so i dont have the built in stuff. i even paid $9 (!!!) for a set of actions that would do it, but they don't get my colorblindness quite right, which is crucial for me. i was gonna just edit the layers or whatever in the filters i bought to get it right, but then it turns out i cant do that with Elements

if any of yall are aware of any configurable photoshop plugins/actions/whatever that'd do the needful, i'd appreciate it. this feature is not worth switching over to Photoshop CC for me, and afaik you cant really pirate photoshop any more, at least not on mac

im also down to try other applications, so long as they work on macos